Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Cast Iron Brick posted:

Can someone explain to me the clunky pseudo-rape/actual rape storyline that went down last season? I saw some media response to it, but I really don't want to invest in watching that season if that's how it actually goes down.

The scene was bad enough. What was worse was all the Reddit neckbeards justifying it.

What was even worse was all the people here saying the episode shouldn't be judged until the end of the season, because we haven't seen the full resolution yet, we don't know yet what he's trying to say, etc. Then when the season ends with them in a bathtub together, basically he wasn't saying anything, or at least not anything good, and suddenly those people go silent or come up with new justifications.

The whole thing was repugnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Whelp, we didn't even make it to another page before two of the exact people I described rushed in to do exactly what I said they did. :suicide:

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

precision posted:

So what did you think of the premiere of Season 5, which is the topic of this thread? Or are you just here to start a fight?

Who said anything about a fight? I'm simply baffled that people defended that scene, and doubly baffled that people are still defending it. Louis CK himself finally commented on that scene, and not only didn't he back up the weird defenses of it, he just basically proved how tone deaf he actually is. That was the problem with basically all of Season 4 - just tone deaf all the way through.

Louis CK posted:

I had a scene earlier in the season where I was with a woman and she was hesitant and in a romantic way, I kind of went a little further with her and then she came with me and then we were together. So I'm trying it again, like an idiot -- like, 'Hey, it worked once, maybe it'll work another time.

She wasn't scared in the scene, she was annoyed. To me, she was never under my control in the scene, she was never in danger.

It's interesting, sometimes you put something out and it get a different reaction, which is OK.

Yeah. That was his explanation of it.

To me, all of season 4 was CK paying back the fedora bros who made his pay-what-you-want-thing a success. Like he got caught in a whirlwind of Reddit AMAs and decided that was his core fan base, adopted their bizarro world view and decided he should target the show directly to them. And it came off like a weird mix of /r/theredpill, /r/mensrights and /r/fatacceptance . I mean, great that it resonated with you, but...

So to answer your question: I thought last nights episode was decent. Kind of a slow start, but if he goes back to Season 1 and 2 Louie that would be a good thing. I kind of have to cut the guy a little slack, it must be tough to linger in an industry for decades before suddenly becoming the hottest thing in comedy in your 40s, but if the result of that is putting out very disturbing and weird messages and boosting the confidence of the Eliot Rogers of the world, I really don't want to support this show anymore. I think he desperately needs harsh criticism to get the show back on track. He needs to be called a rape apologist so he can take a look at what he's doing and refocus his talents. I don't think the first episode really proved that that's going to happen, but it did remind me more of those earlier seasons, which is definitely a good thing.

As for your rule of not discussing "the scene" or last season: I don't see how any reasonable person could discuss this season without referencing last season. It brought a lot of weight in that would pretty foolish to just ignore.

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
And saying what he was doing was stupid isn't the same as saying it was wrong.

Seriously, can one of you explain why its so important to you to justify that scene? I'm dying to understand the thought process behind that. I just don't get it.

Its one thing to not be affected by it in the same way many other people were. I can sort of wrap my head around that. What I don't get is the compulsion to rush in and white knight a loving creepy date rape scene.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 10, 2015

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp
Wow, I really am not on the same wavelength as the rest of the fans of this show apparently. Not that I'm complaining, because Louie fans are loving icky. But this episode was actually good. I really enjoyed it.

The opening was a typical misfire, and perfectly exemplifies my biggest issue with this show. He's clearly trying to say something, but it's a muddled mess, and in the end nothing intelligent was said, and a few awful things get said instead. Just pointless and bordering (at best) on offensive. Louie apparently doesn't know what generation he's a part of either, as he seems to be taking the sins of the baby boomers upon himself, and climbing up on the cross so some Gen X nobody can flagellate him while stroking her own overinflated ego. How about pointing out that her "own store in Manhattan" is probably 100% funded by her parents, and the only reason she can poo poo on customers is because success isn't really critical to her survival -- which is quite a difference from Louie's generation, which truly got the shaft. I feel like that was more of that same "hey lets suck some young demo dick" he always does, "I don't get you guys, because I'm out of touch!" Yeah, not because that generation is entitled. He knows that generation sucks. Commenting on it made up 90% of his material for a while, until that generation made him rich and famous. But whatever.

After that opening though, it got really good. Maybe it helps to be my age and have those run-ins with people from high school -- those people you don't hang out with now for a reason. I can see why people would like the Doug Stanhope episode better than this one, dramatically and comedically, but I've never run into an old friend who just talked about wanting to kill himself. I have run into jackasses who's personalities were so offensive you wondered how you ever hung out with them in the first place.

It wasn't ha-ha funny but it was definitely true to life, and funny in a really good, really uncomfortable way which I think is really Louis CK's strong suit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jake Armitage
Dec 11, 2004

+69 Pimp

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I sincerely doubt her character had the store at her parents' mercy

She owns a store in Manhattan selling copper pots and knives and poo poo. If her parents aren't bankrolling it, someone is.

There's a reason hipsters open their yo-yo stores and artisan popcorn stands in places like Williamsburg and Silverlake instead of Beverly Hills or fifth avenue.

Anyway, I just felt it was a missed opportunity to actually say something about the generations instead of "gee hey yeah I guess I'm an idiot, young people really do have it all figured out".

I think it's true that if the younger generation is doing better than mine, that's a good thing. I just really don't think that's the case. poo poo, to me, seems to be getting progressively worse in terms of the power each generation holds.

Jake Armitage fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 25, 2015

• Locked thread