Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I liked this episode and the pregnant woman was really good imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hahah yeah they basically treated her like some kind of non-sentient walking uterus.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Re: The Scene,

I dunno if Pamela Adlon has said anything on it publicly, but of the scene that they according to the credits wrote together, we only have Louis vision of it. Nobody in this thread or the previous afaik has shined a good positive light on Louie-the-character & his actions in that scene. Or maybe some actually insane people did and I didn't notice.

To me, it's fairly obvious that Louie-the-character is a giant failure, and the only reason it doesn't progress to forced penetration is his lack of everything. That tiny fistpump is like a giant full stop after the words "Louie is functionally retarded". He literally wanted to & tried to rape Pam but he was too goony to pull it off, so he only got to sexual battery or some such poo poo. I dunno the laws in America.

I had another thing to say but who is even gonna read this bullshit.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Btw I got really uncomfortable during the Louie/Amia scene where he was pushing her to have sex but then the scene ends with them having sex and I'm like, alright that is kindof a lovely thing morale; but then the following week there is literally a break in the story; Elevator is put on hold and the first part of Pamela is shown, in which he does literally the same thing and Pam shuts him down while telling him in so many words that it is rape, and I'm like yes! Does it not occur to you that there is a purpose to that juxtaposition? I can only read it as a condemnation of forcing yourself on others.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Renner was imo really good and I'm not really a Renner-guy... anyway also the guy subbing for Hoffman was amazing (I knew I remembered him from somwhere, he's the driver in the big car chase in Ronin, Skipp Suduth).

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I liked the one-man-banjo guy fwiw, added a nice hecticity to the senes as needed.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I'm also education is worthless

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah, I liked it as well. I kept expecting something terrible to happen when they realized the gun was gone, but it ended surprisingly upbeat with knitting & all.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I think maybe it just got lost in the shuffle a little. The main point or morale or whatever of that vignette as I take it was that "if the kids are doing better than you are, that is a good thing", which I think is true. It just got smothered a little in the delivery.

Regarding like store ownership, I sincerely doubt her character had the store at her parents' mercy, except in some abstract sense of her being there at all was owed to her parents. Like, that'd be a weird unspoken detail about her that you'd need a lot of made up poo poo to read from the episode. FWIW, I just remembered an old O&A thing where he talked at length about locally owned stores & capitalism, and as I recall that was pretty insightful.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

But all that about her store is something you're putting into the show that isn't there. We have her word that she's running that store and there's nothing in else in the show to say either way. It might be unrealistic, which I'll agree is part of why the message is muddled, but it is what it is. It's like saying Rapaport's character's only a cop cause he had connections back in wherever.

Also I'll def agree that whether the younger generations truly are doing better than "ours" or not is hella up for debate. On some issues like race and gender it appears that at least more people are aware than were so when I was a kid, but then some others choose to double down on the lovely. So I wonder if you can ever for real "say something about the generations" as a whole?

Anyway I think this is what art does, it asks us to discuss important things, so to me this episode and tbh the whole show is executed amazingly.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mescal posted:

I just can't wait for the episode when Louie gets along with somebody and has a nice time!

Bully, season one. After he follows the bully home, he has a real moment with the dad.

Also that is at least like ep 6 or 7 of the first season, im p sure there are earlier eps w human interactioiacantahfdaoswhat

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sorry I got a lil excited but my point was that Louie the character & the Bully Dad share a couple cigs and talk about their upbringing. You could easily say they get along.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

oh my god louie really is a cuck

That is not what cucking means.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Also the actual irl al-Qaeda are probably thinking of pegging, but I'm pretty sure Peter probably just gently fingerbanged Joenetha.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I liked the drivers big dumb face

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Chromatic posted:

That scene where Louie explains in detail to the driver why he didn't want anything to do with him was brutal.

Who knew Buzz from Home Alone was kind of a good actor.

Silent tears, man.

He was seriously amazing, from the openmouthed smiles in the first scenes, to standing outside the window dumbly looking in, to just quietlty & sadly accepting that Louie is not cool and will never be his friend.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Kevyn posted:

I believe that whole scene in the car was one long take too.

Yeah pretty sure it was

loving pos snipe

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

And then I had another guy who is a very famous comic. He is probably at Cosby level at this point. He is lauded as a genius. He is basically a French filmmaker at this point. You know, new material every year. He’s a known perv. And there’s a lockdown on talking about him. His guy friends are standing by him, and you cannot say a bad thing about him. And I’ve been told by people “Well then say it then. Say it if it’s true.” If I say it, my career is over. My manager and my agent have told me that. They didn’t threaten it. They just said to me “You know what Jen, it’s not worth it because you’ll be torn apart. Look at the Cosby women.” And this guy didn’t rape me, but he made a certain difficult decision to go on tour with him really hard. Because I knew if I did, I’d be getting more of the same weird treatment I’d been getting from him. And it was really hosed up, and this person was married. So it was not good, and so I hold a lot of resentment.

You mentioned it earlier, but I don't really know what you expect this thread to do or say about it?

The rumor has it that it's Louis CK, and I can see how that description fits him, and if he did do it, he should face whatever consequences. And Jen Kirkman's agent & manager are correct, if she publically names whoever it is, that world will definitely eat her alive. It's a really lovely situation for her, and if it is indeed CK he is a turd, but it can't really move in any direction as it is right now. Either she names him, or someone else comes out, or nothing else ever happens.

There's just so very little to say either way, with so little substance.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Divorced 2008, which isn't so long ago that it automatically discredits anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Irish Joe posted:

Hannibal Buress was referencing a 20 year old news story that everybody knew about as part of his lame edgelord act. That said, Louis is nowhere near Cosby's level when Cosby was at the height of his popularity. Whoever this broad is, she just needs to come out and say what's on her mind because the whole "tee hee, a popular red headed comedian did something unspeakably bad to me, but I'm not saying who or what because I'm a frightened, helpless girl" is loving obnoxious.

You're loving obnoxious. "Tee hee"? gently caress you.

• Locked thread