Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
You're right TinTower, I'm going to vote for the extremely principled Lib Dems who as we all know are unwilling to compromise their convictions for the merest sniff of power.

e: Or maybe we live in a less than ideal country with a less than ideal system of government a less than ideal electorate and less than ideal politicians and I will choose the lesser of many evils.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So glad I don't live in the UK any longer.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
If Labour get less seats, and are bombarded by 'weak government propped up by nationalist rhetoric' and have completely failed to make the distinction between, or argue in favour of, any kind of arrangement, intentional or otherwise, with the SNP, how is there government going to be anything but a disaster, hobbled right out of the gate?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Dan Didio posted:

If Labour get less seats, and are bombarded by 'weak government propped up by nationalist rhetoric' and have completely failed to make the distinction between, or argue in favour of, any kind of arrangement, intentional or otherwise, with the SNP, how is there government going to be anything but a disaster, hobbled right out of the gate?
There's a difference between making the Murdoch press/Torygraph howl and being a disaster. Miliband's run the entire campaign on a platform of "go gently caress yourself, Rupert", so it's not like it's something that can't be dealt with if it happens.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Watching those debates, I just despair.

It's not just the politicians that are the problem any more. The general public are generally loving idiots who don't know what they want, but they know they don't want others getting anything either.

I used to be against spoiling ballots, but in this entire election, we're just picking what limb we want removed with bolt cutters.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Happy International Workers Day, comrades.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

LemonDrizzle posted:

There's a difference between making the Murdoch press/Torygraph howl and being a disaster. Miliband's run the entire campaign on a platform of "go gently caress yourself, Rupert", so it's not like it's something that can't be dealt with if it happens.

And Labour have also ran on the platform "the largest party get to form the government", at least in Scotland. They've de-legitimised their own future government without needing any help from the tories.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Watching those debates, I just despair.

It's not just the politicians that are the problem any more. The general public are generally loving idiots who don't know what they want, but they know they don't want others getting anything either.

I used to be against spoiling ballots, but in this entire election, we're just picking what limb we want removed with bolt cutters.

You've just got to hope, that it was only a slice of stupidity that was shown, and that the general public are mostly considerate and liable to vote for the genuinely best intentions of-hahahaha who am I loving kidding!? :suicide:

Too many are plain ignorant of what they're voting for (maybe slightly excusable 20 odd years ago, but not now, with the internet), or worse, they blindly believe what the tabloids and telly tell them, and can't, or won't be convinced otherwise.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

Roll on the May thread so we can get this poo poo-show over with.

XMNN posted:

Happy International Workers Day, comrades.

Aye.

Workers of the world unite, and complain about loving immigrants and scroungers apparently :smith:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

Nah I just really like the Brig O Balgownie, it's a Roman construction I think and absolutely gorgeous. Just google image Duthie Park or Seaton Park or Union Terrace Gardens.

Pretty funny hearing you recommend Googling UTG, given that it wouldn't be there if the SNP had their way.

Also I wouldn't recommend Googling a current photo because the main lawn is up and it looks like a building site despite not being one.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

I suspect some Tories got a memo earlier today

Who would even loving describe a Q&A session as commanding? Wankers, that's who. Someone posting that and meaning it would need a strong, commanding kick up the arse. But I can't believe anyone like that could exist.

I do like that they all got posted around the same time though, they aren't even trying to be subtle. :laugh:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Jedit posted:

Pretty funny hearing you recommend Googling UTG, given that it wouldn't be there if the SNP had their way.

Also I wouldn't recommend Googling a current photo because the main lawn is up and it looks like a building site despite not being one.

Woah you caught me, me recommending pictures of a park with a really nice flower arrangement in the summer is a betrayal of my party allegiance.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pasco posted:

Workers of the world unite, and complain about loving immigrants and scroungers apparently :smith:
The battle of the industrial and post-industrial worker has always been between the worker and the scrounger.

The greatest trick that the scrounger ever pulled was convincing the worker to redirect that ire against the disabled, the sick, and the unemployed while changing almost none of the language.

e:

Coohoolin posted:

Woah you caught me, me recommending pictures of a park with a really nice flower arrangement in the summer is a betrayal of my party allegiance.
Flowers are the capitalists of the plant world. They take the resources produced by the leaves to produce a flower at the top of the stem, which does nothing but consume the productivity of the leaves to grow larger and more ostentatious until it can entice other workers in the form of bees to perpetuate its own system with the flower on top all over again.

Ferns or death.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 1, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fungus supermacy, an implacable, indistinguishable mass of similar cells capable of indefinite interdependency and collectivism, often smells a bit suspect also, and bad news for landlords.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

LemonDrizzle posted:

There's a difference between making the Murdoch press/Torygraph howl and being a disaster.

I'm aware of this, but Labour haven't made a good case and have contributed to delegitimising their own potential government as well. A weak government with no real track record and a lot of ill public perception isn't going to be able to just roll over all these attacks, surely?

It honestly seems like every UK wide party is campaigning to lose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

I'm aware of this, but Labour haven't made a good case and have contributed to delegitimising their own potential government as well. A weak government with no real track record and a lot of ill public perception isn't going to be able to just roll over all these attacks, surely?

It doesn't matter how unpopular the government is, as long as they can 1) win a vote of confidence, which the SNP will almost certainly support labour in to keep the tories out, entirely of their own volition, and 2) the opposition does not pass a vote of no confidence in them during their tenure, which they would need a majority to do.

As long as labour wins enough seats, the SNP and possibly the greens/PC back them in confidence votes, and there is sufficient dissent within the other parties, a labour government can have all the poo poo in the world thrown at it but it won't make any different until the next GE. Short of armed revolution, parliament can do what it likes unless it volunteers not to.

Essentially I think the plan is: get as many seats as possible, form a minority government with the SNP pushing through the formation, try to demolish the media/win votes further down the line by implementing popular policies (or revealing their secret plans for full communism after they're in and can do whatever they like) and hopefully win the next GE that way.

Labour can't really do much at the moment to win votes because the media and the conservative rhetoric have more or less demolished their traditional platform in the public eye. So I think they're trying to just get into westminster at the moment and are going to see what happens from there, because there's not much they can do outside of westminster. They have a perception of being an incompetent party, the only way to break that is to lead the country competently for the next term, and possibly eat Ruper Murdoch and his papers.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 1, 2015

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

TinTower posted:

Incidentally, we all heard Miliband say that "it's not racist to be concerned about immigration", right?

I wonder what happened to Labour over the past ten years to start stealing Tory election slogans.

Well it isn't. Don't divorce statements from intent. Immigration could present a problem for a country. The fact that it's not actually a problem in the UK is irrelevant. It's totally possible for someone to be genuinely concerned about immigration without being racist. What they need is educating to why we don't actually have an immigration problem.

If you want to tackle the working class's hatred of immigration you start by not making a villain of them. You accept their concerns as valid and then point out the scenarios they are envisioning are not actually happening.

"Is immigration bad for the UK" is not a racist question. But "Yes because foreigners are horrible, different to us and parasites" is a racist answer.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Regarde Aduck posted:

Well it isn't. Don't divorce statements from intent. Immigration could present a problem for a country. The fact that it's not actually a problem in the UK is irrelevant. It's totally possible for someone to be genuinely concerned about immigration without being racist. What they need is educating to why we don't actually have an immigration problem.

If you want to tackle the working class's hatred of immigration you start by not making a villain of them. You accept their concerns as valid and then point out the scenarios they are envisioning are not actually happening.

"Is immigration bad for the UK" is not a racist question. But "Yes because foreigners are horrible, different to us and parasites" is a racist answer.

But, seeing as immigration is not in fact a problem, the only reason it has become a political issue is because racist gobshites have spewed a load of shite and racists have swallowed that shite. None of it even works if you don't start from the basic assumption that there's something wrong with foreigners.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Can we please just smash everything at this point?

On a completely unrelated note, happy Worker's Day comrades, hope you're not at work!

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
With the benefit of a night's sleep, I'm not quite as enraged as last night. I now can find Mr Red-in-the-Face Gold-Standard of the Cult of High Finance (which is saving our country and making us rich until you spend it all, dontcherknow) quite funny, as well as being an absolute wanker.

Also, Happy Worker's Day everyone, I'm spending mine working. :smith:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Who's making May's thread? I hope they've got a good title in store, this thread comes but once every five years

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

OwlFancier posted:

They have a perception of being an incompetent party, the only way to break that is to lead the country competently for the next term, and possibly eat Ruper Murdoch and his papers.

Trouble is that in any government there will be at least some minor fuckups, which the Murdoch press can turn into massive scandals and splash all over front pages. And they'll be looking for those from day one.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

The New Black posted:

Trouble is that in any government there will be at least some minor fuckups, which the Murdoch press can turn into massive scandals and splash all over front pages. And they'll be looking for those from day one.

First up: Dealgate

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

LemonDrizzle posted:

Any chance Rupes will fold and support Labour again? I was hardly surprised that Scottish Sun came out in support of the SNP - they're the most popular party in Scotland and they want to sell papers. What's odd is the English version supporting a party that isn't popular. They've switched to Labour and back again before depending on which way the wind is going, they're hemoraging readers and their decision to stick Tory is starting look increasingly bizarre.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

KKKlean Energy posted:

Who's making May's thread? I hope they've got a good title in store, this thread comes but once every five years

UKMT May: Someone call Nigel, the country's going to the polls!

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

UKMT May election special: all the things that make us cross

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
UKMT May: Here's a letter signed by 5000 goons.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

sebzilla posted:

UKMT May: Someone call Nigel, the country's going to the polls!

this one is preeeeetty good

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
UKMT May: Milibeans on Toast

(I'll go home now sorry)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

KKKlean Energy posted:

I'll make one over the weekend if no one else does, but it'd probably be better if someone with more political awareness did it.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

I already pitched ukmt may 2015 - hung parliament 2 election boogaloo

E: how about UKMT MAY 2015 - dehumanise yourself and face to bloodshed

UKMT MAY 2015 - DONT VOTE

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
UKMT May 2015: Vote Labour

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
UKMT May - Bloody immigrants are voting SNP

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Mister Adequate posted:

But, seeing as immigration is not in fact a problem, the only reason it has become a political issue is because racist gobshites have spewed a load of shite and racists have swallowed that shite. None of it even works if you don't start from the basic assumption that there's something wrong with foreigners.

Or the basic assumption that the welfare state and/or unskilled labour market are going to poo poo because of genuinely limited resources rather than an unbroken line of neoliberal pricks in government going all the way back to Thatcher. It's not actually true, sure, but I don't think it's an inherently racist mistake to make.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FK-oWA7Oj8

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The Assassination of Nicholas Clegg by the Candidate Oliver James Coppard

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

Where is the may thread for may day! I'll be listening to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1un4wZ9y18 on loop until it appears

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Mister Adequate posted:

I completely agree and really wish they wouldn't pander to racists and xenophobes but they do and other than the Greens who won't win, SNP or Plaid who aren't standing in most of the UK and maybe the Lib Dems who were part of a coalition that was poo poo on immigration it's not like anyone else's rhetoric is less extreme. I wish I didn't have to vote for the Labour party, but the realistic alternative is not going to be better in any way, even on immigration.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I find the fawning over the audience by the press and idiots like Owen Jones depressing this morning. Wonder if anyone will call them out for the bigots they are...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
UKMT May 2015: Whoever wins, we lose

• Locked thread