Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Trailer

This series needs no introduction. If you're stuck in 2003, haven't seen any of of the movies since the first or second, and still consider the franchise a punchline like Transformers, you're missing out one of the rare big budget series that generally gets better and better. Imagine a series that started off just about some guys in LA who drive cars fast but slowly escalates into one of the best and absurd action franchises where bank vaults crush cop cars and runways stretch out to the entire length of Europe.

Gothamist does a better job explaining the phenomenon; compiles all the memes and thinkpieces you've probably seen if you're already a Furious fan.
Why The Fast & Furious Franchise Deserves Respect
(warning: some Fast 1-6 spoilers)

quote:

The Fast & The Furious film series launched in 2001 as a humble Point Break-ripoff inspired by a Vibe article about street racers ("Racer X") with a title borrowed from a 1950s Roger Corman B movie. Through its many sequels, it somehow transcended floppy disks, forgettable villains, chronological anomalies, endless backyard BBQs, and the death of one of its lead actors in real life to become the most brilliant, batshit-crazy, ethnically-diverse popcorn action film franchise of the 21st century. It has a legitimate claim to having elevated stupid-fun into the realm of commercial art (or at least into the realm of obsession-worthy devotion).
What was supposed to be a little car exploitation film in 2001 has sprawled into a franchise that somehow developed a mythology (with a fair share of world building and timeline fuckery) and a ton of sentimentality. It's better to think of these movies not as car movies, but as a superhero movies where the actors mostly play themselves.

Fast & Furious 6 should have answered people's lingering questions about the in-universe chronology, but since people are going to ask anyway:
The Fast and the Furious (2001)
2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
Los Bandoleros (2009) that little 20 minute prequel on the DVD that Vin Diesel directed. completely optional; not terrible
Fast & Furious (2009)
Fast Five (2011)
Fast & Furious 6 (2013)
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (2006) This song rules.
Furious 7 (2015)

I'm guessing there's some overlap between Drift and 7. If you haven't seen any of the movies and are just starting now, I encourage you to just watch them in order of release, not the timeline. Watch Tokyo Drift after 2Fast and before the 2009 movie. There's a massive payoff that way. If you want to know which ones are the worst or most skippable, different people have different answers. 2Fast does little to advance the characters, beyond introducing Tyrese and Ludacris to the series. The 2009 movie is my personal least favorite, since it's so concerned about franchise housekeeping at the cost of being boring; but does set up a lot of "plot" elements that pay off in 5 and 6.

And the other thing that people are asking is how the film deals with the death of Paul Walker. Short answer: re-writing, his brothers standing in, and some CGI with help from Weta. Reviews seem to generally show that the movie did a good job of handling it without feeling disjointed.

I'M IN YOUR FACE.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
I was going to make a long, awesome thread earlier this week, but you did a far better job than I did, so h/t to you.

I remember when this film came out. I was just about to go into high school and I dragged my friends to see it. They were less than thrilled to see a movie about cars, but afterwards they were rather impressed. My one friend says that it's one of the best popcorn movies that he's ever seen. I saw 2fast when it first came out and skipped Tokyo Drift because it looked horrible (which it isn't) but ever since 2009 when Fast and Furious came out, I have see everyone in theaters. I even went as far as watching every single film in sequential order (I didn't get a chance to do it this time around, but next time I will), which was a little crazy, but still awesome to see how far the series has come. I'm going at 7:00 tonight, because I don't feel like going tomorrow and dealing with the kids that are going to be going. I haven't been this psyched for a movie in I don't know how long.

Also is everyone else ready for the next one, The Fast and Furious: Escape for New York?

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
I just came back from the movie. Loved it.

This franchise is like the world's tallest Jenga tower.

Like, it started out with a solid foundation of underground street racing and from there they just kept deciding to top it. Brick by brick. At first you didn't notice; the second movie upped the stakes a little, shifted the genre slightly, but it still looked like the same tower-- you could tell they came from the same foundation. By the time you get to 7 and see The Rock rip out a gatling gun from a drone and use it to take down a helicopter you really start to admire the movie not just on those merits but on the sheer tenacity of the entire franchise.

Take a step back and that small stakes game of Jenga is all of a sudden the tallest loving wooden tower you've ever seen. It's swaying back and forth with entire genre shifts making it seem like each new film is just topple the franchise under its own weight. But they don't. They keep topping it. The characters are so solid and the movies are so fun that it holds. Justin Lin and now James Wan are so dexterous that they're just showing off how high they go can at this point. When the Diesel starts up the car in the locked vault of the Dubai penthouse you see Wan wiggling the middle block and you think no way, this is gonna be the one but to do it in but by the time the car flies through the second building you see Wan just casually set the piece on top like it's no biggie as he's already eyeing the next piece to make the series go even bigger.

Half the reason I love the series is because it's so goddamn preposterous how they got from the first movie to here. Every time Walker scales a falling bus loaded with enough artillery to defeat a land war you have to pause and remember that he started out going undercover to stop some TVs from getting stolen. The sleight of hand these movies make to make these narrative leaps seem so effortless is just astounding.

In a world where every multi universe epic series is planned from the start, you just have to admire the roots of this superhero franchise.

I want them to get to number 14 just to see how high this Jenga tower can go.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I have a ridiculously Fast and Furious car (Green Challenger 6.4 HEMI) and will be going tonight...in the Detroit area. Can't wait to see all the kids peeling out and challenging each other (and me) on the streets after, as what happens every time one of these ridiculously guilty pleasure movies comes out.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Marathoned all the movies again this past Sunday with a bunch of friends, they just keep getting more and more ridiculous, in a very good and amazing way. I still think 5 is my favorite though, since it's an Ocean's 11 style heist movie and I've always liked those. Really excited about 7, and even 8 given that the baddie for 8 is supposed to be Kurt Russel.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

duz posted:

Marathoned all the movies again this past Sunday with a bunch of friends, they just keep getting more and more ridiculous, in a very good and amazing way. I still think 5 is my favorite though, since it's an Ocean's 11 style heist movie and I've always liked those. Really excited about 7, and even 8 given that the baddie for 8 is supposed to be Kurt Russel.

Hence why I'm calling it Fast and Furious: Escape from New York.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
You know, I never really saw the appeal of this series, being completely ignorant (and happily so) of the street racing scene. But then a college acquaintance took me along to see one.

It was then that I realized that this movie was not really about street racing at all, but about car-wizards bending time and space to their will(seriously, how is no one else on the road when they pull off their jacking scenes? Rituals to shift their marks into a pocket dimension, that's how) and using their vehicle-familiars to punch each other. It became much more entertaining after that, of course.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I can't wait.

I've never seen anything between the first and the fifth, I really need to fill in that gap, but I wonder if I'll like them because it feels like the Rock is just an integral part of the franchise now and obviously he isn't in them.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Unironically love this series. Ever since 3 it doesn't take itself too seriously, is multiethnic and diverse, and fun as gently caress.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I saw it last night. I thought the way they handled Walker's death was very well done.

My nitpicks are that Ronda Rousey can't act for poo poo, they actually used "*tech jargon* In english please?", and the biggest thing for me were that the fights were completely bloodless.

Vin and Statham have a huge fight where both of them repeatedly get beat with a 3' wrench and no one gets a scratch.

Those nitpicks aside, it was exactly what I was expecting from a Fast and furious sequel, and I enjoyed it a lot.

I'd be curious to find out how the storyline changed after Walker died. There were no noticeable plot shifts that would only be explained by a re-write.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Pierson posted:

I can't wait.

I've never seen anything between the first and the fifth, I really need to fill in that gap, but I wonder if I'll like them because it feels like the Rock is just an integral part of the franchise now and obviously he isn't in them.

The 2nd one has its charms but don't expect much, Tokyo Drift is a fun little side story about drifting in Tokyo, and the fourth one restarts the main plot, low on action except for the best street race scene in the whole series.

7 is excellent and pretty much exactly what you'd expect it to be.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I pregamed by watching Furious 6 & Tokyo Drift last night, and I've got IMAX tickets for a 7pm show, so I'm gonna see it in just about an hour. Seriously cannot wait. I'm a huge fan of the series and this is one of my most anticipated movies of the entire year.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Close the book on the franchise, this ending was easily the best way to do it.
I don't want Furious 8 with Vin and some new kids on the block

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

About to shower and head to the theater. I'm literally crackling with an anticipation that borders on sexual.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I would say that 3 and 5 share the top spot for me and 1 is my guilty pleasure, but that would be a lie.

3, 5, and 1 share the top spot for me and 4 is my guilty pleasure.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So what happens to Brian?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Just to be clear, these movies are dumb on purpose right? I think I've only seen the first one but that trailer is loving ridiculous.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Yaws posted:

Just to be clear, these movies are dumb on purpose right? I think I've only seen the first one but that trailer is loving ridiculous.

They're a parody of Torque.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It's actually funny, the whole movie felt like the Crispin Glover scenes in Hot Tub Time Machine. I thought for sure they were going to kill Brian off and each action scene kept inching closer and closer to his death. By the last scene I thought he was going to get eaten by a shark or something. I'm happy with the ending but I kept expecting something different.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

So what happens to Paul Walkers character? I have no intention of seeing this movie but when a lead dies during filming it's always interesting to see how they handle it.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

So what happens to Paul Walkers character? I have no intention of seeing this movie but when a lead dies during filming it's always interesting to see how they handle it.

He just drives off into the sunset.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

They did well with what they had, but it was obvious when the movie frame froze and he flew straight up, to his home planet. The closing scene is Brian, Mia, and their son Jack on the beach, followed by a well done "last ride" down the road with Brian and Dom, which segues into a eulogy of sorts to him. Nice, honestly, plus with a long nighttime action scene as the finale and the aforementioned ending must've made for an easy cleanup..

Few thoughts

-They're doing a hidden plot where all of the Crew Family are hidden superheroes, right? Horrific crashes are no big deal, bullets aren't effective, they all double karate fight, I'm half-expecting a Stan Lee cameo

-I liked it for the most part but the humor, mostly between Ludacris and Tyreese Gibson, fell pretty flat for me. Best gag was Brian intensely dropping his son off at his school in the opening part. It also had a super-sexist conversation between the two that pulled me out of the movie

-It has to be directed as self-aware because holy poo poo there's a few laugh-out-loud moments that totally worked as that

Overall I got a great kick out of it. Holds true to my F&F Stark Trek movie system, in reverse: two/four/six aren't great, but one/three/five/seven are worth the price of admission.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Yaws posted:

Yes, they figured out why people see them, and it's not for serious dialog or believable plots.

screenwritersblues posted:

He just drives off into the sunset.

This isn't a metaphor, that is literally how they say goodbye to the character.
This is not a deep, thought provoking series.

E: Just got back, it's everything I hoped for and I'm sad that Paul Walker won't be around anymore.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Just got out. It was awesome and the tribute to Walker at the end was great. Could only really tell the end parts where it wasn't him.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fuuuuuuuuck, that was a perfect conclusion to the series. Somehow it managed to top the previous ones in terms of scale (they brought it back to where it all began (Race Wars) but then it also spanned the entire loving globe after that), and it was the absolute best way to honor Paul Walker's memory. I legitimately got teary eyed in the theater watching those last couple minutes. I hope they never make any more after this because there is no better way to wrap up a series than how this one did.

Hell, I'd cheer if this did actually win Best Picture. I felt like I was loving 11 years old watching the first one all over again, just filled with awe at every turn. The Fast And The Furious 7 was one beautiful goddamn movie.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Fuuuuuuuuck, that was a perfect conclusion to the series. Somehow it managed to top the previous ones in terms of scale (they brought it back to where it all began (Race Wars) but then it also spanned the entire loving globe after that), and it was the absolute best way to honor Paul Walker's memory. I legitimately got teary eyed in the theater watching those last couple minutes. I hope they never make any more after this because there is no better way to wrap up a series than how this one did.

Hell, I'd cheer if this did actually win Best Picture. I felt like I was loving 11 years old watching the first one all over again, just filled with awe at every turn. The Fast And The Furious 7 was one beautiful goddamn movie.

Diesel already said 8 is planned and it'll be set in New York.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

mattfl posted:

I'm hoping that Kurt Russell shows up in an eye patch for part of the movie, paying homage to his own character.

Just finished watching it a little while ago.

Some thoughts

- Would have loved to see the race Between Dom and Sean really race. Although I think we can all imply that Dom won.

- The Paul Walker tribute had everyone in tears.

- No after credits scene that set up the next film. I was bummed.

- Also whose idea was it to include Iggy Azalea in a two second cameo?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

mattfl posted:

That's stupid. This wrapped the entire series up in a perfect little bow.

screenwritersblues posted:

- Also whose idea was it to include Iggy Azalea in a two second cameo?
Yeah that was loving bizarre and had half my theater laughing maniacally.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

There are no words to describe that experience. What an absolute adrenaline shot of a movie, and what a beautiful tribute to Walker. I got a little choked up and misty eyed.

Coming out of the theater, heard some dude talking about the ending, who said: "Uhh yeah I guess the ending was nice, I just thought it was a little much, you know?" gently caress you, random dude. You thought the tribute and eulogy to one of the leads, who tragically died IRL, was a bit much? Ughh.

Edit: Iggy Azalea cameo was the one negative about the movie, and not even because I dislike Iggy Azalea, I kind of like her and most of her music. It was just terribly out of place and her acting on what amounted to one line was somehow terrrrrible.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Unironically love this series. Ever since 3 it doesn't take itself too seriously, is multiethnic and diverse, and fun as gently caress.

I feel like I'm one of the few who really appreciates #3. It's so light-hearted and goofy. Look at it in a broader sense..it's a western flick that happens to be set in Tokyo instead of Tombstone and has something vaguely to do with cars instead of horses. The action sequences (the ones that aren't CGI anyway) are perfectly filmed, the characters are lovable (if incredibly stupid), and goddammit the soundtrack is excellent.

The first race sequence is one of my favorites of ANY car movie:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJKlv6lxMzc

I love that Monte so much.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I rewatched 3 last night and thought it was hilarious how the main character can't drive for poo poo for the entire first half of the movie.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
This movie was really great. Every scene was about as over the top as it could be. Perfect for a Fast and Furious movie.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I'll probably have more words about this in the morning, but initial thoughts:

-This was a fun movie, but 5 is definitely still the best. 5, 1, 3/4, 7, 6, 2 is probably my rankings.

-I think a big part of the movie was thinking about how they'd deal with Paul's death and took me out of it a few times. The ending sequence was good, broke the fourth wall well. Sad faces.

-The lack of multiple strong female characters kinda bugged me. Letty and a team of dudes doesn't do it as much for me as when there are 3-5 rear end kicking women to compliment the testosterone.

-The bench of characters for the series is getting kind of light. Unless they somehow fold in Tokyo Drift people, our team of drivers is pretty small from a Fast Five peak.

-The movie was still fun and anyone who wants to turn their brain off and watch a terrifically done action movie for almost 2.5 hours should go see it. Also you get to watch teenagers try to peel out of the parking lot in their parents Ford Taurus when you're done.

Overall there aren't enough sad faces in the world for Paul Walker's death. This franchise may be dumb but it is loving a awesome and I'll always be bummed that we won't see it the way it was intended.

Schiavona fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 3, 2015

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I couldn't really tell what parts are faux-Paul, of course I was busy enjoying it on a first watching.

For a series that does balls out insane sequences happening all the time it's funny to me that they don't commit the movie sin of having cars needlessly explode when they crash.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

I rewatched 3 last night and thought it was hilarious how the main character can't drive for poo poo for the entire first half of the movie.

Seriously though, I've seen F&F3 more than most other people combined. I honestly think it's a lot of fun.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Casimir Radon posted:

I couldn't really tell what parts are faux-Paul, of course I was busy enjoying it on a first watching.
I couldn't either! It'd be fun if someone posted a list of all the scenes in which it's not really Paul so I could go "...how the hell did I miss that?", but really the answer is that I was having a blast watching it and they hid it well enough.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just love this is a series that started with the LAPD investigating truck thieves and managed to both escalate and come back full circle so that six movies later we see the LAPD get immediately taken out of play by a warlord's Predator drone while he flies around the city using the AI from Person of Interest while Jason Statham fights that truck thief in dual wielding melee combat

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I couldn't either! It'd be fun if someone posted a list of all the scenes in which it's not really Paul so I could go "...how the hell did I miss that?", but really the answer is that I was having a blast watching it and they hid it well enough.
I'm sure the scene on the beach wasn't him, they didn't show his face a lot, and when they did it tracked past pretty quick. That was establishing for him leaving the series though, so that's obvious. Whatever they did it's about a million times better than fake-Arnold from Terminator: Salvation.

Also Kurt Russel is really showing his age. Maybe it's just because they stood him next to Vin Diesel but he looked small too, and not all that tough.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Schiavona posted:

-The bench of characters for the series is getting kind of light. Unless they somehow fold in Tokyo Drift people, our team of drivers is pretty small from a Fast Five peak.

I have to agree w/ this but gently caress bringing in anybody from Tokyo Drift, outside of the bad guy. They do need to beef up the roster & I'd love to see Tego and Rico back in the fold to start w/. I always wondered why they didn't bring back Suki [Devon Akoi].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
It was fun but it felt real cut together. The flow from scene to scene felt a bit off. But man, the set pieces action and camera work were top loving notch.

Plus the Rock literally loving Rock Bottomed someone. Took all I had in the theater not to mark out.

Was still great though. And goddamn I knew it was coming but that Paul Walker scene still got me. :smith:

Immediate reaction

5 > 6 = 3 > 7 > 1 > 4 > 2

• Locked thread