Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm sure the scene on the beach wasn't him, they didn't show his face a lot, and when they did it tracked past pretty quick. That was establishing for him leaving the series though, so that's obvious. Whatever they did it's about a million times better than fake-Arnold from Terminator: Salvation.
About the beach scene: I honestly couldn't tell if they had shot that earlier and just rewrote it for all the other characters to essentially be eulogizing him, or if that was shot later and it was not-Paul filling in.

Yeah, nothing looked as obnoxious as CG Schwarzenegger so there were never any moments when I was taken out of the film and thought "oh god this looks HORRIBLE" or anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just got back and I definitely wasn't disappointed, but it doesn't quite top F&F6 for me. I mean, 6 is really hard to top, but even so, I think the change in director is fairly evident, and I don't think they managed to work in the cast of characters as smoothly as they did before.

That last scene though...wow, be prepared for it. It is brutal. It will obliterate you.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Better than 6, still not as good as 5. Loses points mainly for having no Han :(

The last scene is loving rough though. I can't believe I cried at the end of a loving Fast & Furious movie of all things.

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
While I was kinda disappointed by the lack of The Rock for 95% of the movie, everything he does during the final battle is so loving cool that it more than makes up for it.

And yeah, I was expecting the final scene to be emotional, but Vin's monologue destroyed me.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Casimir Radon posted:

I couldn't really tell what parts are faux-Paul, of course I was busy enjoying it on a first watching.

The scene where they are on the cargo plane after the mountain craziness. It's just Diesel and Walker, I think Walkers hair and stubble kept changing whenever they had to cut to him and his dialogue sounds really cut and paste. The scene where Dom's house blows up, you never see Walker in the same shot with them and it has this weird greenscreen feel to it. There were some shots where his eyes were kind of weird and some obvious digital gloss on his head. Minor things but you can see them if you look.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Kush posted:

The scene where they are on the cargo plane after the mountain craziness. It's just Diesel and Walker, I think Walkers hair and stubble kept changing whenever they had to cut to him and his dialogue sounds really cut and paste. The scene where Dom's house blows up, you never see Walker in the same shot with them and it has this weird greenscreen feel to it. There were some shots where his eyes were kind of weird and some obvious digital gloss on his head. Minor things but you can see them if you look.
The house scene I was pretty sure of. I thought it was kind of dumb that he gets his face smashed into a car window and just brushes it off, even for this series. I'm sure the second child plot was tacked on to explain his future absence, so most things involving that are probably faked.

Truly the gold standard.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 3, 2015

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

So loving hyped to see this.

For anyone who's new to this wonderful, ridiculous franchise and wondering where to jump in, I'd recommend Fast Five. It's one of the stronger films in the series and while it has a few callbacks to earlier films they're explained well enough that going in blind isn't really an issue. It's pretty representative of the later F&F films so watching it is probably the quickest way to figure out if we can be friends this series is for you.

2Fast gets a lot of stick and while I agree it's probably the series' worst by some way, the number of longing looks Tyrese gives to Paul Walker is amazing. Sadly, his heart belongs to another.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm sure the scene on the beach wasn't him, they didn't show his face a lot, and when they did it tracked past pretty quick. That was establishing for him leaving the series though, so that's obvious. Whatever they did it's about a million times better than fake-Arnold from Terminator: Salvation.

Also Kurt Russel is really showing his age. Maybe it's just because they stood him next to Vin Diesel but he looked small too, and not all that tough.

Ya it was definitely his brother on the beach, his body was just different enough you could tell something was out of place, especially his arms. The last scenes in the Supra as well.

edit: I also like the call back to 1 where Vin calls Brian a busta, that was great and it went by really fast but it was pretty cool that he still cracks on him like that.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 3, 2015

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

About the beach scene: I honestly couldn't tell if they had shot that earlier and just rewrote it for all the other characters to essentially be eulogizing him, or if that was shot later and it was not-Paul filling in.

Yeah, nothing looked as obnoxious as CG Schwarzenegger so there were never any moments when I was taken out of the film and thought "oh god this looks HORRIBLE" or anything like that.

From what I could tell it's the whole beach scene, and there's one or two inserts where it looks like they've used a double and some CGI. There's nothing too glaring though and it's all pretty brief. Honestly, I don't mind admitting that it got me. Like the beach scene was one thing and it's like OK, this is a sweet sendoff, but then the part afterwards took me out.

Overall I liked it a lot, even though it's too long. So, a couple of quick notes:

- The Rock is so knowingly fun that it makes it worse when he's used so sparingly.
- Lucas Black does not look as young as he did in Tokyo Drift.
- Diesel seems to act as though he's constantly on the verge of falling asleep.
- The script lays it on way too thick sometimes. Almost impossibly so.
- The Mountain chase is a brilliant scene, start to finish. It's a chase scene that has a clear sense of geography, character and action. It's a shame that it comes so soon.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DrVenkman posted:

From what I could tell it's the whole beach scene, and there's one or two inserts where it looks like they've used a double and some CGI. There's nothing too glaring though and it's all pretty brief. Honestly, I don't mind admitting that it got me. Like the beach scene was one thing and it's like OK, this is a sweet sendoff, but then the part afterwards took me out.

Overall I liked it a lot, even though it's too long. So, a couple of quick notes:

- The Rock is so knowingly fun that it makes it worse when he's used so sparingly.
- Lucas Black does not look as young as he did in Tokyo Drift.
- Diesel seems to act as though he's constantly on the verge of falling asleep.
- The script lays it on way too thick sometimes. Almost impossibly so.
- The Mountain chase is a brilliant scene, start to finish. It's a chase scene that has a clear sense of geography, character and action. It's a shame that it comes so soon.

To be fair. Lucas Black never looked young...

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Did Lucas accent changed from the flashback to the new scene? I don't recall him being so southerny drawl

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I ended up botching my "watch all the Fast movies again before the new one" marathon, so I watched Furious 7 with only the first and parts of the second movie very fresh in my mind.

It ended up being better that way. Instead of the smoother transition to absurdity; I was able to enjoy 7 with the culture shock. I know people have previously compared these movies to the Saints Row games, and I definitely got that vibe especially when Kurt Russell was on screen acting like a super spy while recruiting some guy who once only threatened trucks in LA.

Thoughts since I'm too lazy to write things in paragraph form:
- Hector!
- They did a decent job working around what they couldn't get with Paul Walker. It was kind of clear they were missing plot and character moments in the earlier scenes; since Vin, Dwayne, and Michelle had a lot to say about their characters; while Paul had little to say. Vin's call to Jordana felt like it was supposed to be to Paul; and Jordana's all like "I'll go tell him what you said."
- So the package on the porch didn't really hurt Vin Diesel because he turned around and ran a few feet forward; but it totally wrecked the house. Okay.
- I'm guessing Lucas Black was originally going to be more important before PW's death. They never explained or even showed it on screen, but I guess Dom's Charger in Tokyo was just waiting for him in one of Han's garages that weren't confiscated by the police? Also Lucas Black aged a decade between the stock footage and the new footage; lol.
- They keep retconning new skills for Ludacris. First he was just a mechanic that arranged races. Then he was the best hacker on the east coast. Now he's also a ninja apparently.
- They also retconned it so Luke Evans survived and was just hospitalized after Fast 6. Pretty useless retcon; since he doesn't do anything else.
- lol the wedding without a ring. How convenient.
- I felt like they could have done more too give Elsa Pataky and Kurt Russell some bookend at the end.
- So the Rock can't just kill Jason Statham? Even though he murdered the villain in Fast 5 with no remorse? What use do the feds have in locking him up?
- Too bad they didn't shoehorn the Better Luck Tomorrow cast into Han's funeral.

I'm personally done with Fast scenes in the U.S.; so I'm not too big on setting the next one in New York. The fast movies work best when it's international, whether it's Tokyo, Rio, or London. It gives the movies more flavor.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 3, 2015

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Dead Snoopy posted:

I always wondered why they didn't bring back Suki [Devon Akoi].

So was I, so I looked into why. Apparently her family owns the Benihanna restaurant chain so she doesn't need any money and also her and her partner started a family and she just had her second kid last year.
I hope they can convince her to come back since it seems like the cast is mostly the 2fast crew now.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

duz posted:

So was I, so I looked into why. Apparently her family owns the Benihanna restaurant chain so she doesn't need any money and also her and her partner started a family and she just had her second kid last year.
I hope they can convince her to come back since it seems like the cast is mostly the 2fast crew now.

I hope Ramsey stays on the team, she could be a fun character. Though her and Tej are kinda redundant you could probably make her more of an Oracle stay back at Base type character, and having more Females on the team is never a bad thing. You are definitely going to need a new white guy though, As I would be shocked if studio reps would be on board with having no white guy on the team.

Then again the Fast movies print so much money, and I doubt Paul Walker was all that much of a draw over Vin, and The Rock. So they could get away with it. But yeah.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The reason why the villain stayed alive is so that Statham can be the bad guy that joins the team in the next one to hype everyone up.

Ignoring the fourth wall, the ending is really, really funny. Having kids and being with a family is like dying! Poor guy!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Darko posted:

The reason why the villain stayed alive is so that Statham can be the bad guy that joins the team in the next one to hype everyone up.

Ignoring the fourth wall, the ending is really, really funny. Having kids and being with a family is like dying! Poor guy!

As someone who's best friend just got married and has a kid on the way. I can confirm this.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Darko posted:

The amount of reaching they would have to do for Statham joining the team and not immediately just attempting to murder everyone is too much even for this series. My guess is he isn't in 8, but with Diesel saying this one was the start of a new trilogy, the post credits scene is whoever the villain is in 8 busting him out. And then 9's villains are a team composed of all the surviving villains from the past movies, led by Statham.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if the "new white guy" in the next movie ends up just being Lucas Black coming back but for real this time. That way you can do like this movie kind of already did and just ignore he's supposed to be a high school student, plus he can take over the role of "guy who thinks everything happening is loving crazy compared to the movie he was in before."

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

duz posted:

This isn't a metaphor, that is literally how they say goodbye to the character.
This is not a deep, thought provoking series.

This is Cinema Discusso. A movie where the camera falls down and we watch the wall for 2 hours would be deep and thought provoking for no reason here. For example:

Darko posted:

Having kids and being with a family is like dying! Poor guy!

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Honest Thief posted:

Did Lucas accent changed from the flashback to the new scene? I don't recall him being so southerny drawl
I haven't seen it yet, but remember that that jock at the beginning of Tokyo Drift specifically makes fun of Sean's drawl.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

duz posted:

...and yet ARROW almost got her as a cast member when they went into filming season 3 last year.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ash1138 posted:

I haven't seen it yet, but remember that that jock at the beginning of Tokyo Drift specifically makes fun of Sean's drawl.

He always had a thick, Texas poo poo kicker accent.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Loved this movie. I did find it funny that most of this movie is about them trying to get a thing that will let them find out where Shaw is, but Shaw just keeps on popping up every single goddamn place they go to. You probably don't need that God's Eye, guys!

One great thing about this series - does a fantastic job of folding in new actors and making them feel part of it. Statham, Russell, Jaa and especially Djimon loving Hounsou all killed it in this.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dead Snoopy posted:

...and yet ARROW almost got her as a cast member when they went into filming season 3 last year.

She was pretty dreadful in 2Fast, and that and Sin City are like the only things she did that I remember, so I'm almost more inclined to say she just picked up a couple roles off her dad/brother's (likely brother's) connections and then couldn't get anything else.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Honest Thief posted:

Lucas Black talked like that in Tokyo Drift too, and also he's in the new show NCIS New Orleans in which he's supposed to be a detective from Louisiana but sounds nothing like anyone from Louisiana. I don't know if that's his real voice or just an accent he puts on for multiple roles, but it sounds hilariously overexaggerated and dumb to me. I live in the south and am familiar with different southern accents, but he just sounds like a caricature.

Hibernator
Aug 14, 2011

Does anyone else think the scene where The Rock locks Statham up in super-duper-max prison would have worked better as a post-credits scene? It wouldn't have had the same weight as the one from 6, but it would have made it more of a reveal that Shaw had survived, and would have really hammered home the "we have not seen the last of him" vibe. Also it would have kept us uninterrupted with Vin & family for the closing of the film.

Prediction for Fast/Furious 8 post credit sequence: Owen Shaw wakes from his coma to break Deckard out of jail for Family v. Family in the 9th flick.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

GraPar posted:

Loved this movie. I did find it funny that most of this movie is about them trying to get a thing that will let them find out where Shaw is, but Shaw just keeps on popping up every single goddamn place they go to. You probably don't need that God's Eye, guys!

One great thing about this series - does a fantastic job of folding in new actors and making them feel part of it. Statham, Russell, Jaa and especially Djimon loving Hounsou all killed it in this.

The funny thing is that Dom explains this to Mr Nobody as a reason why he shouldn't have to do the job, and he ends up being basically right anyway.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, and I'm amazed how far this goofy series has come since the beginning.

As far as what shots I think were affected by Walker's death...

-Almost every fight scene or stuntwork he'd normally be involved in. I think this is where they used his brothers.
-The house explosion scene.
-When Ramsey is talking to the team on the dock and describing each of them. Brian is standing in a really odd spot partially obscured by a post.
-On the plane when Dom and Brian talk about family and danger.
-Some shots during the big climax after he gets out of his car.
-Very obviously when him and Dom are racing at the very end (although I think the beach scene is actually mostly him).

I'm forgetting one or two other moments, but they did a hell of a job making the movie seem virtually unaffected by his death.

DFu4ever fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 3, 2015

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Fun fact: Iggy Azalea was 11 years old when The Fast and the Furious was in theaters.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ninjahedgehog posted:

Fun fact: Iggy Azalea was 11 years old when The Fast and the Furious was in theaters.
So was I :shepface:

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge
I thought the Rock was merely going to rip off his arm cast, but when he flexed his muscle so that the cast itself broke in half I just about loving lost it.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Just got back from seeing this. Fantastic movie, though kinda thrown off that they only brought in Lucas Black for a tidbit role and didn't expand on it. Also, the tribute to Walker was great and the entire theater started clapping when it was over.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Scyantific posted:

Also, the tribute to Walker was great and the entire theater started clapping when it was over.

Same here, in fact there was applause when I saw Fast 6 as well. Definite crowd pleasers these movies.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

There was mild applause at the end for my showing, until some guy yelled "we love you Paul!" and then people loosened up and clapped quite a bit.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Tokyo Drift is still my favorite in the franchise.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

angryhampster posted:

Seriously though, I've seen F&F3 more than most other people combined. I honestly think it's a lot of fun.

I'd take that bet. I've seen it a bajillion times.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
Showed up a half an hour early, only to discover that the 10:00 AND 10:20 showings are sold out already.
Screw it, I'm waiting for the 10:40. The excitement at my theater is amazing, this movie is going to be huge.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wandle Cax posted:

Same here, in fact there was applause when I saw Fast 6 as well. Definite crowd pleasers these movies.

I saw Fast 6 opening night and the audience reaction to the Jason Statham reveal was probably the craziest I've ever seen a movie audience.

Scyantific posted:

Just got back from seeing this. Fantastic movie, though kinda thrown off that they only brought in Lucas Black for a tidbit role and didn't expand on it.

Lucas Black for the new "white guy" slot? I don't think he could carry it, unfortunately. And I think if they didn't have to use a bunch of their CG budget on emergency doubles they would have de-aged him or something, because going from "high school kid" to "face-wrinkled large-armed man" in the space of a cut was hilarious.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Lucas Black for the new "white guy" slot? I don't think he could carry it, unfortunately. And I think if they didn't have to use a bunch of their CG budget on emergency doubles they would have de-aged him or something, because going from "high school kid" to "face-wrinkled large-armed man" in the space of a cut was hilarious.

They should just never address it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Drifting is an advanced race wars skillset that should not be used lightly. There is a price.

There is always a price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I saw Fast 6 opening night and the audience reaction to the Jason Statham reveal was probably the craziest I've ever seen a movie audience.
Easily one of the best post-credit scenes, if not the best.

Easily tops all the nerd bait from the Marvel movies.

• Locked thread