Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
This movie ruled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

BrianWilly posted:

Drifting is an advanced race wars skillset that should not be used lightly. There is a price.

There is always a price.

Hahaha this just reminded me when I heard them say "race wars" in an early scene it made me super confused until I realized what it actually was a few seconds later

Sledge
Oct 18, 2004

Breathing in Fumes!
loving great movie. Action, comedy, and a moving tribute at the end to Paul.

Only criticism would be the movie needed more Rock.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
[The Rock, unloading his minigun]: I AM BULLETPROOOOOF!!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Sledge posted:

That could be said of pretty much any movie.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sledge posted:

Yeah this is my only criticism of the movie. At least his scenes are like pants making GBS threads amazing.

edit: And it's been a while since I've seen Kurt Russell really ham it up like that on the big screen. Forgot how charming and charismatic he is. Kurt and The Rock need to do a movie

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 4, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is the Rock spinoff still happening?

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Was surprised to see frailty established so quickly and consistently as the central theme of this. Very cool to have Deckard show up over and over as this looming specter of death that interjects himself into otherwise unrelated scenes and suddenly makes everything a lot more dangerous.

Central metaphor is the prince's supercar - when Dom and Brian find it, both men bristle at the thought of something so powerful and beautiful being contained. They then break it out of its cage, grim fuckin reaper shows up and shits on their plan, car turns out to have no brakes and thus be incredibly fragile, and it ultimately gets destroyed within like three minutes of getting freed.

Note also that Deckard's intro scene has him inverting a hospital into a place of death, and that Mr. Nobody calls him some variant of "ghost" a half dozen times. For those wondering why he got locked up rather than finished off, it's because that creeping inevitability of death is something you can triumph over in the moment but that you can't finish off.

EDIT: Sorry, forgot the most important part. My ranking goes 6 > 7 > 5 > 1 > 3 > 2 > 4

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I thought there were a few sly callbacks to xXx during the Dubai sequence, especially the camera angles with the vehicle jump between buildings and the reference to the car being a beast 'living in a cage'.

There was a congregation outside my theater opening night, waiting for the doors to pull up. This purple Mazda, all riced up, not only pulled up but his brakes squealed for a mile around, no doubt because he's never changed them. An Asian male in his 20s jumped out & asked about 60 of us if the 'theater was open'. I called out, 'yeah it is, that's why we're all out here.' He was embarrassed and revved off and admit the laughter, when he revved his engine a 'DOUCHEBAG' chant started.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

TheJoker138 posted:

There was mild applause at the end for my showing, until some guy yelled "we love you Paul!" and then people loosened up and clapped quite a bit.

It was deafnening silence during the Paul Walker tribute, but I did hear someone clap when Vin Diesel turns out to be not-dead. Otherwise it was a pretty good crowd that reacted appropriately to the right parts. As far as the CGI goes, I could only really tell at the very end and figured the last fight with Tony Jaa since a lot of his face was in shadows.

Hibernator posted:

Prediction for Fast/Furious 8 post credit sequence: Owen Shaw wakes from his coma to break Deckard out of jail for Family v. Family in the 9th flick.

Well, Dame Helen Mirren is on record saying she wants to be a villain in a F&F movie, so...

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Cacator posted:

Well, Dame Helen Mirren is on record saying she wants to be a villain in a F&F movie, so...

I could definitely see her as the Shaw Matriarch.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Also, this is three movies old but just as relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIY5b1JMvGs

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I think the thing I love most about the most recent Fast and Furious movies is that no one takes it seriously. I think the most genuine thing they did was at the end of Fast 7, and it was a nice thing. But the movies are just going for "how can we make a great action flick?" and it's a lot of fun to watch. I love these movies so much. Fast 7 is probably my second favorite, narrowly edged out by Fast 5.

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
The entire third act is such a glorious mess

Every single scene plays out with you thinking to yourself "it would be so hilarious if this happened, but this is a real movie so it won't." And then it does. Every time

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Cacator posted:

There was a missed opportunity in Fast 6 when they were in London for them to come up with a bunch of contrivances so that Helen Mirren can reprise he role as the Queen and help Dom and the family fix some cars because she knows how do it from repairing all those trucks during the war.

But I'm totally behind Mirren as a villain too.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mirren as the Shaw matriarch, with Timothy Dalton as her husband and their father.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Big Bob Pataki posted:

The entire third act is such a glorious mess

Every single scene plays out with you thinking to yourself "it would be so hilarious if this happened, but this is a real movie so it won't." And then it does. Every time

I personally loved the continuous degeneration of Vin's one-liners throughout the film. "I don't have friends, I have family"... sure, that's a great action one-liner that sums up the theme of the film.

But "The thing about a street fight is... the street always wins"? No, that's not the thing. No one has ever said that about a street fight

Edit: Also when in that same sequence Dom shoots his last shotgun round and throws the gun away a friend of mine, who is normally silent and respectful for 100% of movies, said out loud "No, why would you do that? That doesn't make any sense!"

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I wish The Rock was in every single movie

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Do the Rock and Tony Jaa get into it?

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

TheJoker138 posted:

Is the Rock spinoff still happening?

If they have to continue the franchise I would rather them go this way.

I loving hated the Fast and the furious movies when I was younger, I just wasn't into cars and all my gearhead friends wouldn't stop banging on about the films so I didn't see them until later on, now it's one of my favourite franchises and this new one is a fantastic ending.

I would have liked to have seen statham square off against Jaa but since they were both villains it didn't happen they did use Jaa a lot more than initially expected though.
I was pretty much a blubbering mess after the ending if you'd have told me 14 years ago that I'd be in the cinema crying at a fast and the furious movie I wouldn't have believed it.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Eww, that's gross.

Foo
May 16, 2003
Professional Sponge
For you, maybe. Not for me. :shlick:

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

TheJoker138 posted:

The amount of reaching they would have to do for Statham joining the team and not immediately just attempting to murder everyone is too much even for this series. My guess is he isn't in 8, but with Diesel saying this one was the start of a new trilogy, the post credits scene is whoever the villain is in 8 busting him out. And then 9's villains are a team composed of all the surviving villains from the past movies, led by Statham.

It wouldn't be that much of a stretch, just create a bigger enemy. This could be many things, but finishing the job and killing Owen would be an obvious place to start.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I could definitely see her as the Shaw Matriarch.

This would be the coolest casting news in the history of the universe.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Nope, Jaa goes up against Walker.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Vin Diesel now looks more like Andrew Dice Clay in Blue Jasmine than he does like Vin Diesel from the first movie.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'd say the odds of Fast 8 happening are pretty good:

(A 74% increase on Fast & Furious 6's opening day)

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I thought they already set Fast 8 and 9?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

PaganGoatPants posted:

I thought they already set Fast 8 and 9?

Vin Diesel said he wanted to do 10.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

One tiny, insignificant thing that bugged me:

You're Brian O'Connor. You're trying to bust loose this hacker from a well-funded, well-trained paramilitary organization and you have a literal army's worth of resources, weapons, vehicles, and materiel at your disposal (to the point where one of your teammates orders two different cars fused together). Your job is to ditch your car, leap into a bus full of spec-ops dudes, and fight your way through them solo.

Obviously the right gear to carry is a hoodie, sneakers, and a T-shirt, with your pistol jammed in your waistband. Seriously dude, you couldn't have borrowed a Kevlar vest, at least?

Rest of the movie loving owned, and the Caucasus chase was my favorite part. The finale wasn't as good as, say, the tank chase, airplane chase, or dragging $100 million in cash through the streets of Rio, but I had a gigantic smile on my face the entire time. We now live in a world where I can watch a different Fast and the Furious movie every single day of the week, even if Tuesday might kinda suck.

My ranking:

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 4, 2015

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I was surprisingly touched by the tribute to Paul Walker at the end.

I spent the entire movie waiting in suspense for him to die tragically and was pleasantly surprised to find that he never did.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

ninjahedgehog posted:

One tiny, insignificant thing that bugged me:

You're Brian O'Connor. You're trying to bust loose this hacker from a well-funded, well-trained paramilitary organization and you have a literal army's worth of resources, weapons, vehicles, and materiel at your disposal (to the point where one of your teammates orders two different cars fused together). Your job is to ditch your car, leap into a bus full of spec-ops dudes, and fight your way through them solo.

Obviously the right gear to carry is a hoodie, sneakers, and a T-shirt, with your pistol jammed in your waistband. Seriously dude, you couldn't have borrowed a Kevlar vest, at least?

See, you're still viewing this as an action movie with a focus on cars. It's actually a superhero film at this point, and O'Connor's costume is a hoodie, sneakers, and jeans.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, those are cosmetic accouterments, like him putting on an FBI vest in another scene when he hasn't been in that organization for years. Also if he were heavier he wouldn't have been able to run up the side of the vehicle as it fell and grab the spoiler of Letty's car right as she fishtailed at the exact millisecond it needed to otherwise the whole thing would have ended poorly

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Adun posted:

I was surprisingly touched by the tribute to Paul Walker at the end.

I spent the entire movie waiting in suspense for him to die tragically and was pleasantly surprised to find that he never did.
They made it clear after Paul died that they wouldn't do that to his character.

I was kind of disappointed that the last film had Gina Carano turn on them, and subsequently die. Seemed like such a waste.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
this movie loving owns bones

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

They made it clear after Paul died that they wouldn't do that to his character.

I was kind of disappointed that the last film had Gina Carano turn on them, and subsequently die. Seemed like such a waste.

I have to say not knowing that added some pretty good tension to the movie for me.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon
Someone pointed this out in the Fast and Furious 6 thread and it's even more true in this film - this whole franchise is a Dungeons and Dragons campaign, but instead of magic swords everyone had magic cars. Here's the original post:

Jenny Angel posted:

It's also explicitly a D&D campaign, as confirmed by a Justin Lin interview posted some pages ago. The order in which I saw the movies was 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, and going from 5 to 1 I was floored by how low-key everything was. But it's about escalation. Dom Toretto in Furious 6 is not the same person as Dom Toretto in TF&TF because he's leveled up from like 5 to 20-something. And there are things that are necessary to the process of leveling that far. There's the continuing growth and harmony of the adventuring party/family, and the acquisition and use of magic items/cars. Cars are not just a thing you drive fast in this series (Though it's kinda hilarious how there's the additional parallel of broadening scope of items. In TF&TF, the cars are super important but they don't really do much. They drive exclusively in straight lines, often badly, because these are just +2 Cars compared to the +5 Vorpal Holy Avenger Cars we get later).

Cars are a lifeblood and a part of the character, and as someone astutely noted earlier in this thread, Letty starts to remember "who she is" when she gets behind the wheel against Dom. When you're describing your epic-level character, the artifact-level items he's attained are part of that identity. This is the correct way to play D&D, Lin claims, as opposed to Shaw's crew who are again explicitly referred to by Rome in "evil mirror party" terms. These guys are powergamers. They drive ridiculously minmaxed armored F1 cars, they've looked through a hundred splatbooks to find a little car-disabling artifact that's totally gonna be broken in this next encounter, and they've sorta forgotten to give their characters personality. Shaw just cares about the result, the winning/losing binary, and if one of the characters in his party dies it's because that character wasn't optimized enough. So whatever, roll a new one.

And then it's still confusing somehow when Epic Level Dom Toretto does a superman jump to save Letty and they land on a car which breaks their fall. "How did you know there's be a car to break our fall?" is a line that's ridiculous on purpose and ideally jolts the audience into realizing "Wait, it's probably not actually literal cars that are being talked about here". I'm pretty sure cars are not actually soft and do not actually break falls. But that doesn't matter because it's a (not-particularly-subtle, this movie is not particularly subtle) set of metaphors. You take a big ridiculous risk, as big and ridiculous as you can, to save your fellow party member, and it pays off because of the life-saving force of epic level items. The DM (Lin) is not a neckbearded gently caress, so his priorities are straight. He rejects Shaw's code (brutal, gamist, us-versus-them minmaxing) and accepts Dom's (escalation predicated on doing cooler and cooler things with your friends that you're getting closer and closer to as you play).

I think it's fairly unlikely that we're gonna get a better D&D movie than Furious 6 for a long while. I saw the film a couple week ago and it's still a little baffling just how much Lin "gets" it.
This also explains the infinitely long runway at the end of 6 being the product of a turn-based combat being filmed in real time.

For the new one, it's more obvious than ever in the structure, with a shadowy government organization tasking Vin Diesel's crew to find a legendary MacGuffin and the crew even slaying the villain's pet dragon in the finale while members of the town guard are slain, unable to harm the boss. It's entirely about Vin Diesel's group's narrative at this point, consequences are completely inconsequential.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I feel like Paul Walker's ability to do great hand-to-hand combat scenes is/was totally underrated - in both his fight scenes in this film he manages to pull off the incredible feat of making it look not insane that he could beat Tony Jaa, and in Fast Six his prison sub-plot is a little bit tedious, but totally made up for by the excellent many-against-one prison cell fight scene.

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx
Dwayne was missing in a good portion of the movie probably because he was too busy jamming out to the sick beats.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK9rodJlMuY

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

GraPar posted:

I feel like Paul Walker's ability to do great hand-to-hand combat scenes is/was totally underrated - in both his fight scenes in this film he manages to pull off the incredible feat of making it look not insane that he could beat Tony Jaa, and in Fast Six his prison sub-plot is a little bit tedious, but totally made up for by the excellent many-against-one prison cell fight scene.

It's also always stuck out how much more visibly competent and well-trained he is with firearms than the other actors in the F&F series (and most actors in general). Initially I sort of assumed that was part of his characterization as the ex-cop character, but you see it in his other movies too. Dude seemed like he took all the combat aspects of his acting super seriously, or maybe he was just into that kind of stuff in his personal life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Loved the movie. That opening scene with Deckard and his brother was amazing. I love it when TV/movies do that except when Heroes does it.

• Locked thread