Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

TheJoker138 posted:

Mirren as the Shaw matriarch, with Timothy Dalton as her husband and their father.

This would be so awesome. Though my issue is that Dalton so masterfully nailed Hot Fuzz at every second I wish he'd do more comedy. Dalton is a great actor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Saw it late last night with the girlfriend. It was excellent. The ending tribute for Walker made me tear up at the end for sure.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Loved it. I think it's one below Fast Five for me. I think Kurt Russell's character loving ruled. Also Vin Diesel will be 48 in July and that's weird. CORONAS.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tim Whatley posted:

Also Vin Diesel will be 48 in July and that's weird. CORONAS.
How the hell does he look like he hasn't aged that much since the first one came out :magical:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I blame this on the fact that I'm a rhetoric major specifically studying narrative, but did anyone else notice that the film took a positive stance on the whole NSA/PRISM/government spying thing? I know its an action movie and a ridiculous one, and I loved it, but I did think it was strange that they didn't have any characters make a comment about how the God's Eye tech was a bad thing. This didn't bother me as a moviegoer, but I did find it interesting.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nah it's okay 'cuz the girl who actually makes these things is part of Their Family now. Cars. Cars cars.

Did anyone else think that the Brazilian cop lady -- Elena? -- was hella gonna get killed the second that Hobbs gave her a promotion? In any other movie that would've been her "one week away from retirement" moment. In this movie the Rock falls out of a building with her to break her fall with...his back. On a car.

Cars.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

BrianWilly posted:

Did anyone else think that the Brazilian cop lady -- Elena? -- was hella gonna get killed the second that Hobbs gave her a promotion? In any other movie that would've been her "one week away from retirement" moment.

My friend turned to me saying he thought she was going to get blown up and I said I thought the same thing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah that seemed like such a telegraphed setup especially as she seemed to be superfluous after the end of 6. They should re-integrate her into the crew now that the numbers have dwindled

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

BrianWilly posted:

Nah it's okay 'cuz the girl who actually makes these things is part of Their Family now. Cars. Cars cars.

Did anyone else think that the Brazilian cop lady -- Elena? -- was hella gonna get killed the second that Hobbs gave her a promotion? In any other movie that would've been her "one week away from retirement" moment. In this movie the Rock falls out of a building with her to break her fall with...his back. On a car.

Cars.

The best part of that scene is that it's nearly identical to a scene with in The Avengers, with The Hulk in Hobbes' place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXXrXyvNtcg

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How the hell does he look like he hasn't aged that much since the first one came out :magical:

Maybe it's all the Dungeons and Dragons.
Movie owns bones, but the vault heist still is my favorite.

cool things:

- Dom duel wields a pipe and wrench set while Shaw just rips twisted metal off his car
- Honsou screaming one syllable words never gets old: "WHAT?!"
- the Rock

not so cool:
- Iggy Azalea was garbage and Rousey too
- Dom's terrible on the nose one liners
-

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I'm pretty sure this movie has the only instance of Brian and Letty saying anything to each other ever.

"You good?"
"Thank you."

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

GraPar posted:

I feel like Paul Walker's ability to do great hand-to-hand combat scenes is/was totally underrated - in both his fight scenes in this film he manages to pull off the incredible feat of making it look not insane that he could beat Tony Jaa, and in Fast Six his prison sub-plot is a little bit tedious, but totally made up for by the excellent many-against-one prison cell fight scene.

I'm willing to bet you'll enjoy this bit of back story...

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/remembering-paul-walker-the-martial-artist

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I loved the "The thing about street fights is the street fights back." line or whatever followed by Vin destroying a street with his foot. It's so sincerely corny and ridiculous.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Movie was pretty drat silly (except for the tribute at the end), and I enjoyed it. My current order of F&F movies is now 3=5, 7, 6, 4, 1, 2.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm watching all the special features on the Furious 6 Blu-Ray because I'd never seen them before, and Jesus Christ, watching them do all these practical stunts is so loving rad. I can't wait to see the features on the Furious 7 disc.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think one factor that helped the franchise's initial success (before Lin's retooling), that isn't brought up too often when people explain the series, was Roger Ebert.

Not only did he give the first (and second) movie thumbs up; he repeatedly defended the movie against Roeper. I remembered he even brought up the movie when he and Roeper were guests on Leno as one of their big disagreements. Ebert was thrilled how the movie was about cars with good stunts and practical effects. (In contrast to Gone in 60 Seconds and other forgettable car movies the years before it.) More importantly, while most critics panned the movie for being dumb, Ebert was the big exception. I'll just link to the review so here it is. Ebert helped maintain the franchise's fragile critical credibility when most others were already reducing the films to a punchline. And Ebert continued to defend the movies on the second and third; only disliking the 4th (because it sucked), before liking the fifth again.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Of all the many funny things in the movie, Dominic Toretto wearing a loving wifebeater to his wedding made me crack up the most.

JesusSinfulHands fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 5, 2015

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saw this with a bunch of friends, it was big and loud and stupid and fun and great. The tribute at the end was nicely done too. I had actually never seen a F&F movie before besides Tokyo Drift and the first on mute on a ferry, now I want to go back and watch them all. That scene near the end with Statham and Diesel jumping into the air with wrenches and scrap metal as the music blares up like it was a swordfight in a gladiator film was amazing too.

Also I had no idea Kurt Russell was going to be in this until I saw his name in the credits, drat. We hit a bar afterward for some food and my friends ordered some belgian ale. :haw:

e: Also Race Wars is a hilarious name for a race competition and when they were talking about fighting Statham on their streets and their terms I kept expecting the gag to be that they were going to start a "race war". :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 5, 2015

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Of all the many funny things in the movie, Dominic Toretto wearing a loving wifebeater to his wedding made me crack up the most.

I did enjoy his patent leather work boots when he's in black tie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

As opposed to the devotee (as in he could tell the difference between Paul Walker and his brother by their eyebrows :psyduck:) who cornered me after the movie was over, I'm more of a casual Fast & Furious fan. If I find one on cable some Saturday afternoon I'll watch it and enjoy it. I went to see 7 in the theater mostly because of Statham, and good god I was not disappointed, he was a goddamn force of nature and I do sort of hope they figure out some way to make him a part of the crew.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

blue squares posted:

I blame this on the fact that I'm a rhetoric major specifically studying narrative, but did anyone else notice that the film took a positive stance on the whole NSA/PRISM/government spying thing? I know its an action movie and a ridiculous one, and I loved it, but I did think it was strange that they didn't have any characters make a comment about how the God's Eye tech was a bad thing. This didn't bother me as a moviegoer, but I did find it interesting.

None of the characters do, but you notice how the bad guys are Blackwater, have drones, and want the God's Eye for no real rational reason? Not to mention that the God's Eye gets blown up and nobody cares.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I'm pretty sure this movie has the only instance of Brian and Letty saying anything to each other ever.

"You good?"
"Thank you."

They also had a brief conversation near the end of 6 where Brian apologizes for setting her up with Braga and all that and she says it's ok, I never do what I don't want to or something.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Also the character relationship in the 4th movie was off screen and told entirely through exposition if I remember correctly. And the two didn't have lines with each other in the first movie if I remember it right.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Movie owned. I hate calling these movies a guilty pleasure because that implies I'd ever feel guilty about loving them

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Coffee And Pie posted:

The best part of that scene is that it's nearly identical to a scene with in The Avengers, with The Hulk in Hobbes' place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXXrXyvNtcg

And then he's watching the 70s Hulk show on tv while in the hospital.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
^ Apparently he also watches a clip of himself playing college football at the University of Miami too

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Holy gently caress :staredog: Okay, so apparently the way they did the bank vault chase in Fast Five was they sawed off the end of a pickup truck and put just the front of it inside the vault casing. There was a guy inside driving the vault around and hitting exactly what needed to be hit by the vault and nothing else. But they closed him up in it so that it would take 15 minutes to get the driver out of the vault, so they ended up attaching hoses to him that fed to coolers of ice water for him to drink and they cut out the passenger seat of the truck and put a portable toilet in its place in case the driver had to go to the bathroom.

These movies and their stunt work are absolutely loving ridiculous and I love them so much.

Max Hammer
Jan 3, 2008

ANTIFREEZE!!!

Echo Chamber posted:

Also the character relationship in the 4th movie was off screen and told entirely through exposition if I remember correctly. And the two didn't have lines with each other in the first movie if I remember it right.

I don't know if it's the only time, but in the first one after Dom tells Brian he owes him a 10 second car, Letty says 'drat!' or something along those lines to him.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

I thought the movie was a bit bloated and the director overused the "roll the camera when someone gets flipped" move. Also Djimon Honsou continues to be wasted by Hollywood.

But drat if it wasn't propelled forward by how self aware it is. It almost felt like a parody at times, especially the very beginning. Fitting that we got trailers for Mission Impossible and the next Bond film. Also the D&D campaign theory is proven as goddamn Lord of the Rings-esque epic choral music blares when Dom and Shaw start their "street fight."

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Holy gently caress :staredog: Okay, so apparently the way they did the bank vault chase in Fast Five was they sawed off the end of a pickup truck and put just the front of it inside the vault casing. There was a guy inside driving the vault around and hitting exactly what needed to be hit by the vault and nothing else. But they closed him up in it so that it would take 15 minutes to get the driver out of the vault, so they ended up attaching hoses to him that fed to coolers of ice water for him to drink and they cut out the passenger seat of the truck and put a portable toilet in its place in case the driver had to go to the bathroom.

These movies and their stunt work are absolutely loving ridiculous and I love them so much.
The effort they put into making the vault chase a mostly practical effects affair was what sold me on it. I know what I'm watching is impossible, but I buy into it because it's clearly a physical thing smashing the poo poo out of cop cars, light poles, concrete pollards, a bank...

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

This movie was cool, good, dope, and baller. One scene I really liked that (understandably) hasn't gotten as much attention as the Azerbaijan sequence or the LA climax is the opening with Statham at the hospital. Such a fun way to open the movie. I agree that Djimon Hounsou was underused and Statham didn't really get to do much cool poo poo after the opening scene. In conclusion, I liked it. The Rock rules.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I agree that Djimon Hounsou was underused

WHAT?!!!!

poo poo!!!!

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I unironically think the evolution of the Fast franchise is the most interesting movie series progression ever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just came back from it. It was ridiculous in all the best ways, and the part I laughed at the most was Dom wearing a wife beater to his wedding.

I honestly don't know what they can do to escalate things from here. Drift across a large body of water? Drift on ice in Antarctica? Have women in bikinis walk around in Antarctica? Drift from one aircraft carrier to another? Drift on the moon?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Steve Yun posted:

Just came back from it. It was ridiculous in all the best ways, and the part I laughed at the most was Dom wearing a wife beater to his wedding.

I honestly don't know what they can do to escalate things from here. Drift across a large body of water? Drift on ice in Antarctica? Have women in bikinis walk around in Antarctica? Drift from one aircraft carrier to another? Drift on the moon?

They are about to become a super secret black ops team working on missions that can be handled by no one else. Those missions being handed out by Kurt loving Russel.

Fast 10 is going to have them overthrowing governments and assassinating presidents and poo poo.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Echo Chamber posted:

I think one factor that helped the franchise's initial success (before Lin's retooling), that isn't brought up too often when people explain the series, was Roger Ebert.

Not only did he give the first (and second) movie thumbs up; he repeatedly defended the movie against Roeper. I remembered he even brought up the movie when he and Roeper were guests on Leno as one of their big disagreements. Ebert was thrilled how the movie was about cars with good stunts and practical effects. (In contrast to Gone in 60 Seconds and other forgettable car movies the years before it.) More importantly, while most critics panned the movie for being dumb, Ebert was the big exception. I'll just link to the review so here it is. Ebert helped maintain the franchise's fragile critical credibility when most others were already reducing the films to a punchline. And Ebert continued to defend the movies on the second and third; only disliking the 4th (because it sucked), before liking the fifth again.

That review is amazing:

Ebert posted:

The races involve cars four abreast at speedway speeds down city streets. This would be difficult in Chicago, but is easy in Los Angeles because, as everybody knows, L.A. has no traffic and no cops.

Ebert posted:

He works for a unit that has its undercover headquarters in a Hollywood house, and as he enters it his boss says, "Eddie Fisher built this house for Elizabeth Taylor in the 1950s." I am thinking: (1) This is almost certainly true or it would not be said in a movie so stingy with dialogue, and (2) Is this the first time Paul has seen his unit's office?

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Dexo posted:

They are about to become a super secret black ops team working on missions that can be handled by no one else. Those missions being handed out by Kurt loving Russel.

Fast 10 is going to have them overthrowing governments and assassinating presidents and poo poo.

I could see Fast 10 being like Armageddon but instead of oil drillers it's the rag tag street racing team.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tokyo Drift is a god-awful movie with god-awful acting and I don't understand why everyone in CD loves it. During one of the mountain races, they blatantly reuse a reaction shot of the love interest and it's incredibly distracting. It was so bad that I didn't end up seeing Fast 4 until after Fast 6's huge opening weekend.

Also Lucas Black is the worst.

The theme song is amazing though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuJDhFRDx9M

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Apr 5, 2015

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I've literally never seen a single Fast and Furious movie before this. I only know 1) they're about cars, 2) Paul Walker died and it was very sad, 3) The Rock's in it and 4) a Japanese guy's in it. For the entire movie I was confused, thinking "There's no Han at all? Why do they kill him at the start?" and thinking that his death was faked and he's going to return triumphantly at the very end or something. Should've read something about F&F before seeing it so I won't hope. Other than that it was very good and I cried at the very end, despite knowing only (from a comedy podcast) that "There will never be another buddy feel like that [Diesel-Walker] buddy feel." For fans who actually knew Walker it must be devastating.

Few questions:
1) So the movies aren't always this ridiculous? Don't get me wrong, I like ridiculous movies and this movie's 'ridiculousity' is certainly different from, say, Transformers. I was already loving it when they dropped out of the plane in their cars and about the time they drove through a skyscraper I was so on board. But apparently the first few movies are relatively much more low-key?

2) Kurt Russell's character dies, yeah? What's the 'health insurance' thing he talked about?

3) Weird question, but if Statham's character got his hands cuffed with that rod-cuff thing at the very end, how could he clean himself after using the toilet?

4) From my brief travel through the world of people who watched previous films, it seems like 5 is the cream of the crop, with 6 (or 7) after it. Is it worth watching the first four movies if all I want is more exciting car stuff?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Han was killed during the credits for the last film, which he was in. I suppose it could be jarring for someone who hadn't seen the previous installment.

Kurt Russell doesn't die. Special forces medics come flying in on a helicopter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In case you are wondering, that is Lucas Black actual accent. He's an Alabama native, and so is his NCIS character with the really distracting accent.

Djimon Hounsou's character gradually losing his grip on sanity during the final battle as he realised the realm of madness he has entered is pretty amazing.

• Locked thread