Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Tokyo Drift is a god-awful movie with god-awful acting and I don't understand why everyone in CD loves it. During one of the mountain races, they blatantly reuse a reaction shot of the love interest and it's incredibly distracting. It was so bad that I didn't end up seeing Fast 4 until after Fast 6's huge opening weekend.

Also Lucas Black is the worst.

The theme song is amazing though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuJDhFRDx9M

The movie is so ridiculous it's good. All the car driving parts are excellent sans the "night drift" bs.

My face:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

Kurt Russell doesn't die. Special forces medics come flying in on a helicopter.

The way they leave him sitting by the side of the road and the way the chopper was not really visibly approaching made me think his "insurance option" wasn't so much his but his bosses', and I thought he knew that and Dom knew that. :shrug:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ruby idiot railed posted:

The way they leave him sitting by the side of the road and the way the chopper was not really visibly approaching made me think his "insurance option" wasn't so much his but his bosses', and I thought he knew that and Dom knew that. :shrug:

Lol

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Echo Chamber posted:

More importantly, while most critics panned the movie for being dumb, Ebert was the big exception. I'll just link to the review so here it is. Ebert helped maintain the franchise's fragile critical credibility when most others were already reducing the films to a punchline.
That's funny, because when I read the review it seems like he spends more time making fun of the movie than praising it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

He also gives it three stars. He makes fun of it but still recognizes what the point of the movie is. Other reviewers would make fun of it the same way and then give it 1 star because of those reasons.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ruby idiot railed posted:

He's already been confirmed for 8.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Also he winked, so he's alive. Or a clone. Or uploaded to an AI. Or a Force Ghost.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I'll be honest, I was kinda surprised that Kurt Russell DIDN'T betray that at any point.

So at this point, how many times has Dom totaled his dad's car? He smashed it into the train in 1 and then loving WEAPONIZED his signature lift-the-front-end-of-his-car-while-accelerating move to trash Shaw's Aston Martin, but later jumped it into the helicopter.

Not complaining, because it did lead to what was basically a Shaw-Toretto lightsaber fight with wrenches, complete with the Duel of the Fates-esque soundtrack

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 5, 2015

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think some of the better moments was playing with expectations. You'd expect the car to blow up. You'd expect betrayal at couple of points. But instead it goes through fine. I loved the moment Kurt put on his nightvision sunglasses and went to town one shotting baddies. Also the opening to establish Jason Statham's character was loving awesome. You got it right away what he is and what to expect.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Bob Pataki posted:

I unironically think the evolution of the Fast franchise is the most interesting movie series progression ever.
I'm not sure if I'd go that far, but the evolution of the Fast franchise has most likely been the most interesting to watch of any movie series I've grown up with.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

toanoradian posted:

Few questions:
1) So the movies aren't always this ridiculous? Don't get me wrong, I like ridiculous movies and this movie's 'ridiculousity' is certainly different from, say, Transformers. I was already loving it when they dropped out of the plane in their cars and about the time they drove through a skyscraper I was so on board. But apparently the first few movies are relatively much more low-key?

4) From my brief travel through the world of people who watched previous films, it seems like 5 is the cream of the crop, with 6 (or 7) after it. Is it worth watching the first four movies if all I want is more exciting car stuff?

The first three films are pretty different from what comes after, they're basically a loosely connected trilogy revolving around underground street racing with a side order of crime. The first movie sets up the Dom-Brian relationship. The second film doesn't have Dom at all but introduces Roman and Tej. The third movie is almost entirely unconnected (no Dom or Brian) except for Han, and didn't get sutured back into the series main story until the end of 6.

Four (Fast & Furious, no articles) is basically the reboot where Dom and Brian reconnect and the balance of the series starts shifting away from racing and more towards car-based combat action. 5 is the start of the new trilogy where what everyone expects from the series started and they brought back characters from all the previous films to form the Avengers-style superteam that defines the franchise now.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

I'm definitely speaking from a position of having seen almost all the movies (still need to catch Tokyo Drift), but I think it's absolutely worth watching them. They are less ridiculous and can feel dated, but are still totally awesome in their own ways.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Quasipox posted:

I'm definitely speaking from a position of having seen almost all the movies (still need to catch Tokyo Drift), but I think it's absolutely worth watching them. They are less ridiculous and can feel dated, but are still totally awesome in their own ways.

You're in for a treat when you watch Tokyo Drift. Try to watch it tonight. As far as I can see, non-US Netflix (at least), has the first 4 films.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Tokyo Drift is awesome because it's the first movie that really established the "we don't give a gently caress and are just giving people exactly what they want, but are going to do it well," tone. The first was just an earnest remake of Point Break, and the second, a cartoonish, weaker retread of that, but the third is where the series first really found a voice of its own.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

40 Proof Listerine posted:

Someone pointed this out in the Fast and Furious 6 thread and it's even more true in this film - this whole franchise is a Dungeons and Dragons campaign, but instead of magic swords everyone had magic cars. Here's the original post:
This also explains the infinitely long runway at the end of 6 being the product of a turn-based combat being filmed in real time.

quote:

It's also explicitly a D&D campaign, as confirmed by a Justin Lin interview posted some pages ago. The order in which I saw the movies was 5, 1, 2, 3, 4, and going from 5 to 1 I was floored by how low-key everything was. But it's about escalation. Dom Toretto in Furious 6 is not the same person as Dom Toretto in TF&TF because he's leveled up from like 5 to 20-something. And there are things that are necessary to the process of leveling that far. There's the continuing growth and harmony of the adventuring party/family, and the acquisition and use of magic items/cars. Cars are not just a thing you drive fast in this series (Though it's kinda hilarious how there's the additional parallel of broadening scope of items. In TF&TF, the cars are super important but they don't really do much. They drive exclusively in straight lines, often badly, because these are just +2 Cars compared to the +5 Vorpal Holy Avenger Cars we get later).

Cars are a lifeblood and a part of the character, and as someone astutely noted earlier in this thread, Letty starts to remember "who she is" when she gets behind the wheel against Dom. When you're describing your epic-level character, the artifact-level items he's attained are part of that identity. This is the correct way to play D&D, Lin claims, as opposed to Shaw's crew who are again explicitly referred to by Rome in "evil mirror party" terms. These guys are powergamers. They drive ridiculously minmaxed armored F1 cars, they've looked through a hundred splatbooks to find a little car-disabling artifact that's totally gonna be broken in this next encounter, and they've sorta forgotten to give their characters personality. Shaw just cares about the result, the winning/losing binary, and if one of the characters in his party dies it's because that character wasn't optimized enough. So whatever, roll a new one.

And then it's still confusing somehow when Epic Level Dom Toretto does a superman jump to save Letty and they land on a car which breaks their fall. "How did you know there's be a car to break our fall?" is a line that's ridiculous on purpose and ideally jolts the audience into realizing "Wait, it's probably not actually literal cars that are being talked about here". I'm pretty sure cars are not actually soft and do not actually break falls. But that doesn't matter because it's a (not-particularly-subtle, this movie is not particularly subtle) set of metaphors. You take a big ridiculous risk, as big and ridiculous as you can, to save your fellow party member, and it pays off because of the life-saving force of epic level items. The DM (Lin) is not a neckbearded gently caress, so his priorities are straight. He rejects Shaw's code (brutal, gamist, us-versus-them minmaxing) and accepts Dom's (escalation predicated on doing cooler and cooler things with your friends that you're getting closer and closer to as you play).

I think it's fairly unlikely that we're gonna get a better D&D movie than Furious 6 for a long while. I saw the film a couple week ago and it's still a little baffling just how much Lin "gets" it.

For the new one, it's more obvious than ever in the structure, with a shadowy government organization tasking Vin Diesel's crew to find a legendary MacGuffin and the crew even slaying the villain's pet dragon in the finale while members of the town guard are slain, unable to harm the boss. It's entirely about Vin Diesel's group's narrative at this point, consequences are completely inconsequential.

This is retarded, please don't post it ever again.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Given that Vin is a huge DnD nerd and taught Judi Dench how to play and incorporated elements of that in Chronicles of Riddick...I would not find it strange if there's some of that in this series.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Tokyo Drift is great because there is no good guy. Just one rear end in a top hat vying against another rear end in a top hat to be crowned King of the Assholes while being enabled by a suicidal rear end in a top hat who just seems to want to watch the world burn. No crime to solve, no heist, no drug lord to take down. All the men are assholes and all the women are whores. It's the id of Fast & Furious in its purest form.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TheScott2K posted:

Tokyo Drift is great because there is no good guy. Just one rear end in a top hat vying against another rear end in a top hat to be crowned King of the Assholes while being enabled by a suicidal rear end in a top hat who just seems to want to watch the world burn. No crime to solve, no heist, no drug lord to take down. All the men are assholes and all the women are whores. It's the id of Fast & Furious in its purest form.

Han is the most interesting character in the whole series because of Tokyo Drift. It gave them an end point to get to with him, and it was amazing seeing the pretty much normal, happy dude slowly turn into the "I don't give a poo poo about ANYTHING" guy he was in Tokyo Drift.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Looks like there's not gonna be cars in space in Furious 8 guys

quote:

CB: If the franchise does continue, do you think the it's possible to top the outrageous, crazy stunts we've seen escalating from Fast 5, Fast 6, and Furious 7?

Wan: I think the only way to sort of pump people's expectation with the next one is to not go bigger, but maybe go more intimate. Maybe go more gritty. I think that will just completely undermine everyone's expectation and take people by surprise and I think that's what this franchise has done so well. Just constantly surprising people with what they're gonna do and I think that if they're smart about it, they will go the opposite way and do something very different.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Fast and Furious: Marathon

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Almost cried when Brian mentioned the tuna sandwich.

He couldve gotten a double cheese with fries for 2.95 human being.

Edit: Also Hobbs wiping himself down for seemingly no reason was amazing.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 5, 2015

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Saw this yesterday, it was awesome. I've been in crowded movie theaters where everyone's laughing their rear end off over some comedy but I've never seen applause for an action movie scene. Not counting the closing scene for Paul Walker, there were around five moments that the crowd straight up burst into cheers and clapping. This was the most fun I've had in theaters all year and maybe all of last year too.

Jason Statham was a loving badass choice for villain. I liked how they never explained how Shaw always knew where to show up, because the answer was obviously "he's a loving badass." I'm glad they didn't kill him off and I hope he shows up again.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 5, 2015

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

$143 million opening weekend at the box office if this is to be believed

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mean Bean Machine posted:

This is retarded, please don't post it ever again.

http://feature.variety.com/vin-diesel-a-furious-mind/

quote:

Diesel said he learned storytelling from reading J.R.R. Tolkien and playing the game “Dungeons & Dragons,” with its intricate mythology that later influenced the scripts of Fast & Furious.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 5, 2015

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The SituAsian posted:

Edit: Also Hobbs wiping himself down for seemingly no reason was amazing.

He was constantly dripping wet in Rio in #5, I assume it was a joke reference to that.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
In Mean Bean Machine's defense I kinda cringed when I re-read that post. It is really awkwardly written.

But yeah it's still v. obviously at least heavily inspired by D&D. Diesel is a huge outspoken D&D nerd who wrote the foreword for an official book commemorating its 30th anniversary, and Lin convinced him to come back to the franchise by explaining his plan for it in terms of a D&D campaign. Those are kinda just facts and I'm not sure it actually makes anyone cooler to deny them.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

The MSJ posted:

http://feature.variety.com/vin-diesel-a-furious-mind/
Diesel said he learned storytelling from reading J.R.R. Tolkien and playing the game “Dungeons & Dragons,” with its intricate mythology that later influenced the scripts of Fast & Furious.

Wow that's amazing, you're telling me J. R. R. Tolkien and D&D was an influence for an actor, who didn't write or direct any of these movies? You telling me this guy read the motherfucking Lord of the Rings books, like millions of other people? This obviously means Dom Toretto is a friggin level 30 berserker with a +5 Vorpal Holy Avenger Car just pwning those little newbs. Epic. Friggin epic.
Listen this is a movie series about fast cars, explosions, swole guys and hot babes, can we maybe talk about that stuff and leave this geeky dumb poo poo to the literally hundreds of threads in these forums specifically related to that stuff?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Mean Bean Machine posted:

Wow that's amazing, you're telling me J. R. R. Tolkien and D&D was an influence for an actor, who didn't write or direct any of these movies? You telling me this guy read the motherfucking Lord of the Rings books, like millions of other people? This obviously means Dom Toretto is a friggin level 30 berserker with a +5 Vorpal Holy Avenger Car just pwning those little newbs. Epic. Friggin epic.
Listen this is a movie series about fast cars, explosions, swole guys and hot babes, can we maybe talk about that stuff and leave this geeky dumb poo poo to the literally hundreds of threads in these forums specifically related to that stuff?

I have no idea what pissed ya off man.

quote:

But the first script Lin read was “all cars drifting around Buddha statues and geisha girls,” so he passed. Which only made the studio want him more.

Finally, Lin took the assignment, but under the condition he be allowed to make certain changes. One involved wooing Diesel back for a film-ending cameo that would link “Tokyo Drift” back to the preceding films and open the door for more sequels. Lin recalls an eight-hour meeting with the actor, in which he used Diesel’s affection for the role-playing game “Dungeons & Dragons” to explain how he wanted to deepen the “Fast” series’ characters and make them more mythic, seeding some of the ideas that would come to fruition over the three subsequent movies.

It's not pure translation or some crap but he used it to explain what he intended to do with the series. Though obviously there are scenes where the hot chicks are parading around for car races are there so they throw a bone.

http://variety.com/2013/film/features/justin-lin-1200409626/

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The movie is estimated to have debuted at $384 million globally.

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/box-office-furious-7-debuts-to-384-million-globally-1201466599/

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
How did it compare to previous two movies?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

You know, I'm onboard with the Oscar train for this movie. Not that I suppose it'd happen but for me at least the Paul Walker tribute and eulogy had an emotional impact.

And I'll second the impressive action work from Walker, he looked like he might actually be able to hang with Tony Jaa for moments.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

toanoradian posted:

I thought it was just as good as fast 6. I haven't seen 5.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

toanoradian posted:

Its up like 60% opening weekend over F6. Basically, this film is making crazy money, the franchise is a rare one where each subsequent film makes ever increasing more amounts of money, and it has incredibly strong international and minority appeal with markets like Mexico and others loving loving it so expect at minimum F8 and F9.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!

Gatts posted:

And I'll second the impressive action work from Walker, he looked like he might actually be able to hang with Tony Jaa for moments.

This struck me as a cool sort of characterization for Brian, almost, just because the past few movies have established his fighting style as being really well adapted to close-quarters combat. Characters like Dom and Hobbs are great in fights because they're so big and strong that they just cause ridiculous amounts of collateral damage -- pretty much every fight one/both of them are in ends up destroying the entire set. Brian's fights, like the two with Jaa, the one on the flatbed in the Fast Five train chase, or the one in the prison cell in Fast Six, all show that he's really nimble, he takes advantage of his environment, and he can hold his own in a tight space even when he's way outnumbered. It was cool to see that they maintained that consistency in Seven.

Also, regarding the second Jaa fight, the door/stairway slide deserves way more attention than it gets, because that kicked rear end. Plus, you knew that Brian was gonna bust out the "too slow" line as a finishing burn, but I love that he himself was so committed to doing it that he hurriedly called it out to the dude to make sure he heard it before falling to his death. He saw his moment, and he wasn't about to let it get away.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like the two tonally opposite posters for this movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I loved the whole sequence immediately before that, there's a really cool shot of like, look at all these goddamn stairs, only for them to immediately go back down them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

tvb posted:

This struck me as a cool sort of characterization for Brian, almost, just because the past few movies have established his fighting style as being really well adapted to close-quarters combat. Characters like Dom and Hobbs are great in fights because they're so big and strong that they just cause ridiculous amounts of collateral damage -- pretty much every fight one/both of them are in ends up destroying the entire set. Brian's fights, like the two with Jaa, the one on the flatbed in the Fast Five train chase, or the one in the prison cell in Fast Six, all show that he's really nimble, he takes advantage of his environment, and he can hold his own in a tight space even when he's way outnumbered. It was cool to see that they maintained that consistency in Seven.

They reproduce this with the choices in cars too. Brian prefers quick and maneuverable Japanese tuner cars while Dom has always been associated with American muscle. The Rock shows up in his APC, while you know poo poo is going down with Owen Shaw when he comes in with some crazy F1-style poo poo with anti-vehicle gadgets

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

All I'm seeing in this one is the plane flicking the two cars into the air with its tail, like a whale might to a small boat.

tvb
Dec 22, 2004

We don't understand Chinese, dude!
I also really loved the foreshadowing with the Mrs. Alpha line. It's offhanded enough in the moment that you don't give it a second thought, but it makes the reveal later on so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

duz posted:

He was constantly dripping wet in Rio in #5, I assume it was a joke reference to that.

Why do I smell baby oil?

• Locked thread