Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-06/proof-that-furious-7-is-the-fastest-and-most-furious-movie-yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Holy fuckin poo poo
So how did that cameraman manage to jump out before the car while hauling those massive brass balls of his?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I used to think this was something that people actually did thanks to the Dumb and Dumber cartoon. They did it in a tank.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Casimir Radon posted:

I used to think this was something that people actually did thanks to the Dumb and Dumber cartoon. They did it in a tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK2eV6KEgko

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Well that was an absolute blast. Jason Statham was a little underused but they did a great job of making him feel like a constant threat in every scene he was in. Djimon Hounsou and Kurt Russell stole the show, and the mountain car chase scene and the penthouse party break-in were both absolutely enthralling.

I did miss the larger main cast of 5 and 6, but they did a great job with the development and banter of the main characters they had left for this movie.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Tej throwing down on that guy was pretty sweet. I was expecting some kind of gadget based defense.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I loved the movie, but sort of pine for what could have been for it had Paul Walker not died. The sequences where they replaced him were really well handled, and not overly obvious, but they clearly had to adjust the plot enough to where I feel like wow it could have been even better.

I could only count maybe 5 scenes where he was filled in where it seemed obvious:

- When they blew up the house, the entire conversation felt like it was meant for him and Mia then they had to abridge it to include Dom
- Mia & Brian's chat at the DR house before he joins up with the crew
- Inside the plane where he had almost no lines
- The long shot away from the Abu Dhabi buildings, I think it's mostly him for huge chunks of that, but the last bit was clearly spaced to be okay with it not being actually him
- The group chat from on top of the hill that 1 starts at, he doesn't say much and they largely kept him shot from the back.
- Obviously the car sequence at the end, but I wonder if they had enough footage of PW smiling and easy driving to just cut that footage into that sequence. So maybe it was him, just post editing magic (I WANT TO BELIEVE)

I think this definitely rates high on my entertainment scale, but I do think 5 and 6 were better formulated films (again perhaps due to the loss of PW). The end sequence just so many feels. I saw it twice this weekend, and I expect I'll see it 1 or 2 more times in theaters.

5=3>6>7>2>1>4.

I also understand my love for #2 which puts it above 1 & 4 is mostly based on personal love and not the actual quality of the film. 4 has the best pure race sequence, but the tunnel racing and the huge reboot nature of it bum me out (also that Letty didn't stay dead). I want 3 to stand on top, but the fact that it's ultimately become F&F JDM Sidestory kinda drops it a bit for me now that we have the complete arc that encompasses it. So for me 5&3 are on top and then from there. I tend to judge them based on my enjoyment of them vs how good a film they actually are since the first two from a production standpoint are clearly the last if judged by that criteria. 3 is the best philosophically for me since it's the most honest version of the franchise imo, selfish people doing selfish things for selfish reasons where if there is no racing there is no movie.

VVVVV e: He was never really a super hacker, in 2F2F he was basically billed as a super connected dude who would get you whatever in that scene. He's more organizer than tech whiz, but it's also implied he knows his way around lots of stuff and is a bit of renaissance man which is why I think they filled him in as the quasi smarts of the group with tech later. It isn't so outside of our ability to believe he loves cars and paid the bills some IT way before. Even in 2F he really can do just about whatever is needed of him.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 7, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've never seen FF2. Was Tej always some kind of world-class hacking prodigy or was that just something else that escalated uncontrollably from "He knows his way around cars"?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

I've never seen FF2. Was Tej always some kind of world-class hacking prodigy or was that just something else that escalated uncontrollably from "He knows his way around cars"?

Tej started out as the go-to race promoter on the East Coast. His mechanic Jimmy was the tech wiz.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Tej just absorbs the skills of those around him. That explains the hacking AND the martial arts.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Statham is 47?! :psyboom:

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
I keep thinking there's got to be some kind of sanity ceiling for these movies, but they never hit it.

Kurt Russell's character was also loving amazing. His vision is augmented.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Party Bug posted:

I keep thinking there's got to be some kind of sanity ceiling for these movies, but they never hit it.

Kurt Russell's character was also loving amazing. His vision is augmented.

The odds of Furious 8 leaving Earth's atmosphere are pretty high. Just got out of seeing this. It was everything I imagined :allears:

Rhonda Rousey needs to stop starring in movies though. Holy poo poo.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

teagone posted:

The odds of Furious 8 leaving Earth's atmosphere are pretty high. Just got out of seeing this. It was everything I imagined :allears:

Rhonda Rousey needs to stop starring in movies though. Holy poo poo.

Yeah, that was like Derek Jeter levels of acting.

Also, did anyone notice the 2-second shot of Dom using the NOS in the climax?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Coffee And Pie posted:

Also, did anyone notice the 2-second shot of Dom using the NOS in the climax?

I was waiting the entire movie for NOS to come into play. It has been the only constant throughout the entire series, really

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
When they weaponized it in 6 it was everything I'd hoped for.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Coffee And Pie posted:

The best part of that scene is that it's nearly identical to a scene with in The Avengers, with The Hulk in Hobbes' place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXXrXyvNtcg

Also, I kept my eye out for this scene and I chuckled when it came up. Someone also mentioned a long while ago that the cars are really just like iron man suits for the characters. Furious 5-7 is, straight up, one of the best superhero trilogies ever.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My guess is the plot for Fast 8 revolves around Rock's daughter.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

My guess is the plot for Fast 8 revolves around Rock's daughter.
Is she a high-kick dancer in NYC?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

PaganGoatPants posted:

Statham is 47?! :psyboom:

So is Diesel :psyduck:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
XXX was almost two decades ago, so not surprising

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Honest Thief posted:

XXX was almost two decades ago, so not surprising
How does 13 years = almost two decades?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Cage posted:

How does 13 years = almost two decades?

If you round to the nearest 20 years

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Still old, as old as that sega joke on austin powers

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Good action flex.

I felt Statham kept loving up his attempted murders on the team due to his massive man crush on Vin Diesel. The look that Statham gives Vin at the cliff was questionable.

"Jasmine" is pretty drat hot. Real name is Brittney Alger for your enterprising goons.

So weird seeing Missandei with an English accent

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Saw this last night and I'd put it a cut below 5 and 6 (haven't seen the others but I will soon). Mainly I felt it lacked a certain fluidity in action compared to Lin's work and for obvious reasons the team dynamic wasn't as present. The plot was also comparatively muddled. Still, a few fantastic setpieces, Statham and Jaa were a blast to have on board. Great job sending off Walker.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I thought that was CGI , that's insane.

I just got back from it today, it was in fact fairly enjoyable. Stunts were great, action was great, just a good action movie.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Criminal Minded posted:

The plot was also comparatively muddled.

I agree with this. The Jason Statham stinger from 6 set up what should have been a relatively simple revenge movie and while Kurt Russell and Djimon Hounsou are cool it feels as though they came from a different Fast and Furious movie.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What will it take for Fast 8 to pivot and have the Shaw brothers join Vin's crew? Jason Statham, Luke Evans, Vin, and The Rock make a pretty good new Avengers team.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Proposition Joe posted:

I agree with this. The Jason Statham stinger from 6 set up what should have been a relatively simple revenge movie and while Kurt Russell and Djimon Hounsou are cool it feels as though they came from a different Fast and Furious movie.

Im surprised how well they did after Paul Walker died. I'm sure they had to change the entire thing around.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

teagone posted:

What will it take for Fast 8 to pivot and have the Shaw brothers join Vin's crew? Jason Statham, Luke Evans, Vin, and The Rock make a pretty good new Avengers team.

I imagine they'll probably bring back Ramsey and maybe the Arab garage owner that sold off the God's Eye and they'll both inexplicably become amazing drivers.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

teagone posted:

Easy, they just introduce a third party that Vin and Statham have a mutual hate for, then they set their differences aside and work together to take care of the new rear end in a top hat. Then they forgive each other and become best buds in F&F 9 and Statham takes Walker's place in the series.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Vin and Statham obvious SERIOUSLY care about family, so they obviously have a mutual bonding point.

We just need the ghost of Steve McQueen to arise or something for them to drive against.

I mean seriously, we have the antagonist from Death Proof and the protagonist from The Transporter at this point; I seriously don't think we have any modern driving films to work with any more to pull people from except Nic Cage.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ice Cube and Adam Scott!

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Nic Cage in a Fast and the Furious film is my new dream.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

I mean seriously, we have the antagonist from Death Proof and the protagonist from The Transporter at this point; I seriously don't think we have any modern driving films to work with any more to pull people from except Nic Cage.

Mark Wahlberg, Seth Green, and Ed Norton from The Italian Job?

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Criminal Minded posted:

He would make a great villain

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

I imagine they'll probably bring back Ramsey and maybe the Arab garage owner that sold off the God's Eye and they'll both inexplicably become amazing drivers.

I suspect its only a matter of time until Hobbes [The Rock] is forced to operate outside the law and that means he'll be in "Dom's World" then.

I cannot get enough of the idea of having the series travel overseas through these arabic countries and have the crew interacting w/ $2.5 million supercars. That's the next level poo poo I want to see.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah, those two are likely to be recurring members. I figure it just might be hard for Deckard to be redeemed in Dom's eyes since he, you know, killed Han. I want it to happen though. somehow someway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Criminal Minded posted:

They can tie it into his Gone in 60 Seconds remake. :getin:

• Locked thread