Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A Spider Covets posted:

i would like to go on the record to say, that games are good.

Some of them are, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stux posted:

lol that fixed poem isn't even a burn its the dude owning himself this is even better hahahaha

If you got the chance to basically say "go gently caress yourselves" to tens of thousands of people whether you are right or wrong or they are right or wrong and get away with it completely scot-free you are lying if you claim you wouldn't do it

It's probably not worth acting smug about but it is a pretty funny resolution to the issue

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bicyclops posted:

okay... so why are they doing those things?! it'll suck not to have the toy but not as much as staying up until 4 AM or paying like 50 dollars for it.

They're getting scalped like concert tickets and people really really want them before that happens because they go from literally 20 bucks in-store to 100+ once they get into the grubby hands of some chode who bought it just so they could do that :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bicyclops posted:

The reason people can't buy enough of the robo-toys is because major economic power and developed country, Japan, is a backward island nation, with strange natives who have yet to discover the word "business"

-goons

See that's the weird thing, Japan's business practices are definitely different from most of the world's, just like a lot of their cultural stuff is. It's not specifically Japan's problem. For them it works fine but translated directly to other countries without accounting for their business culture (specifically that of the US and UK) it just doesn't work. Nobody is saying any of those vaguely racist things.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the importance is in the phrasing. Taint Reaper said "backwards" when what he really meant was "different" but that's Taint Reaper for you I guess given the post above it, taint reaped again etc

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's not what I meant, dummy. I meant that he said "backwards" which has racist implications when he meant (edit: or, probably should have said) "different" as in actually different than our own, not different as in a still-racist literal substitute for the word backwards.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
But he didn't say that because he's Taint Reaper

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Bicyclops posted:

Re-read this and spend a little bit of time inside this word labyrinth and I think you will see that it is in fact you who are the dummy!

I checked again and no you're wrong, also David Bowie was there

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Excels posted:

just gas this whole loving forum

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hog Inspector posted:

i can't wait until 3d printing develops far enough that you can just make your own lovely little statues and action figures and anime waifus so the world supply of useless manchild crap tanks, we will all be better off

You do know that actual children also buy them right

Like, I don't know what your perception of gaming in 2015 is, but it's legitimately not entirely comprised of 20-something straight white manchildren like the internet seems to think (just mostly)

edit: This post sounds like I'm saying Nintendo games are for children but actually I'm saying all games are for children and we're all just wasting our lives

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hog Inspector posted:

i meant value, not supply. bad wording on my part

In that case fair enough. If there's something collectible, you know manchildren will jump on it. It's just that with amiibos they're not the only ones that want them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Even to this drat day I still subconsciously read the energy regain items as "CyberBoost Progeny Jar" first and then "CyberBoost ProEnergy Jar" second, which is an entirely different sentiment!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
David Hayter pulls off the old-school "repeat what was said in the form of a question" thing better than Sutherland, as unnatural as it is in English. MGSV seems to have less of that so the translation probably has continued to get better as it has over the years, but man did conversations in previous games get tedious because of it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Accordion Man posted:

I thought that it was Gearbox games.

Those are by reddit.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Where did nasgate say anything about cultural diversity, he just said he thought Pillars was kinda bad

Is Pillars the new Gone Home or sth where if you're even mildly critical of it, it means you're a crypto-bigot? I'm really not looking forward to having to defend my ideological purity because I don't dig 90s RPGs that much

Nasgate posted:

Ah yes, gaming was better when it looked like poo poo, controlled like a boat on land, and the story was written by your average 4chan user. lol.

Like seriously, bethesda has better writing than pillars, and it looks like a PS1 game. I grew up on that generation, so i can still enjoy it, but jesus christ what happened to having standards?

Edit, actually that's unfair to the PlayStation. Most of the graphics in Pillars besides the character models are worse looking than 8bit games. Why are you suggesting more isometric games to me steam? Why are you even allowing people to publish games that look 10+years old when they're brand new?

In what world do you live where this says "kinda bad" and is "mildly critical"

Also, surprisingly enough, people don't flip out on you when you present your opinion and criticisms in a way that's not so loving douchey

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lurdiak posted:

We're at war? And something to do with postal?

I think goons are going postal against Tumblr or something like that, dunno what it has to do with videogames

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I went to Gamestop to get my New 3DS XL on launch day and they had one left and I got it! :buddy:

Anyway that's my Gamestop story Gamestop is still total crap either way.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Quest For Glory II posted:

lol the new Guitar Hero:

get owned guitar nerds

Really not that bothered, pretty much all the good songs have already been in these games :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As soon as Rock Band Green Day came out I knew the plastic guitar game craze was reaching its decline. Now it will die an unfortunately slow death.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fungah! posted:

just post what you feel, there's no such thing as good and bad

Unfortunately this is not true as for most Games posters there is only really really really good or really really really bad with no inbetween. That said I say make a rhythm games thread they're fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked Wolfenstein TNO but the thing that dragged it down for me is that I never really had enough ammo for the big guns to do anything fun with them so I just used the standard assault rifle pretty much the entire time. The laser gun/sniper rifle and laserkraftwerk have pretty tiny battery life and you get maxed out on rockets way too quick for them to be useful in normal combat. Also the robot enemies kinda suck because there's no real way to tell if you're hurting them until they spontaneously explode because you killed them. I agree with the guy that said it was good but not great tbh.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are 2 fights with them in the entire game, although "the entire game" is not saying much because it's quite short.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Like the hardest game ever is Xenoblade I couldn't get past the stage where you first get the monado. After 10 minutes I gave up and just watched an LP of it and that was just as good as playing the game. I felt so suckered that I promptly returned it to gamestop. The Order Devs get where people like me are coming from, we're not here to be frustrated by obscene mechanics and tired tropes like boss battles. We're here for the fresh and new to be fully immersed in a game, and the only way to get good immersion is to have a great story. When you die in a game or get stuck it breaks that sense of immersion and that is a big no no.

I don't know if you're actually joking and I just don't get it or not but I do agree that sometimes games are better off having solid gameplay and a good story instead of super awesome gameplay and a total garbage story. It's just that The Order happens to have solid gameplay but also still a garbage story so it failed on both counts.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Adam Bowen posted:

Even numbered MGS games also own but significantly less than odd numbered.

What about the ones that don't have numbers, or are we just talking release order in which case that's wrong you philistine

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I am foaming at the mouth in rage at this post

edit: I liked Peace Walker if only because it means that MGSV will be guaranteed to have a usable ROCKET PEACE just because Kojima knows people will be mad if he doesn't put it in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The boss fights in Peace Walker and the overall grindy nature of it made me not even want to play it but it still did look like a worthy addition to the series, if only for the ridiculous stuff like the Japanese censoring ~tickle rod~ torture and anime girls piloting robot dinosaurs voiced by Hatsune Miku. Some argued that it got TOO wacky but I think it hit the right notes of having absolutely no tonal consistency like MGS usually does.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The basic gist of grinding the bosses is that they have AI cores, which you can yank out of them to steal them and put them in your own Metal Gear. In order to make the best Metal Gear possible you need an absolute shitload of parts, like way way too many for it to stay fun that long. The trouble though is that you can't stay in the AI pod for long before it boots you out, and you can only do it a) at the end of the boss fight by yourself or b) while it's stunned in co-op, which gets boring quickly.

But you don't HAVE to do it, because all of the main AI cores are obtained via the times where you fight the bosses for the plot. It's just that if you don't do it, your Metal Gear will be kinda gimped and the big twist where you have to fight it at the end won't be very fun or climactic if it's just made out of toaster parts. They did make it with the fact that people wouldn't replay those missions in mind, it's just that they emphasize that you still probably should, which is boring.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I used to smoke pot in high school and a bit of college and also play video games while high, but then I turned 22 and realized that doing it above that age is just sad

edit: Can confirm though that katamari + high = good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I liked Bulletstorm and I didn't mind the immature humor because I knew about it going in, but boy, the way they left it on a sequel hook that will literally never be resolved is annoying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

What a bizarre, nonsensical opinion based on nothing

Shelling out for quality weed is less important than paying for new video games when you also have adult things like bills and car payments to make, hence the :420: must go. Also,

corn in the bible posted:

drugs are a crutch

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ekster posted:

It's almost like frequent drug use is not conducive to the lifestyle of a responsible adult.

Almost.

Speaking of adults using drugs, I have been playing GTA 5 now that it's out on PC, and the online mode is much more tolerable now that players have mice and have to actually aim... y'know, instead of just locking onto your head and one-shotting you with two button presses with a controller. Play GTA 5, it's good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fighting games are fun but people get way too loving mad for no reason if you don't get super into the complex systems for it to be worth playing them. It's better to stick to stuff like Smash Bros that's more of a party game than a fighting game if you wanna play casually.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Adam Bowen posted:

I might be in glorious Nippon for a couple of weeks next month, anything I should do? I'm gonna buy a shitload of Dragon Quest toys but besides that I don't know.

Post on SA complaining about Japan a lot, that's all the rage around here. It'll feel more authentic because you're actually there

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A Spider Covets posted:

my gaming laptop died, please have a moment of silence for it and me cause it's gonna be in the shop for like two weeks and im sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKLmZNnMT0A

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I was annoyed by FO3 and New Vegas both, because neither game could decide if the apocalypse happened 200 years ago, or like, yesterday

Good games though, except for the god-awful shooting and player controls.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

I really don't know what the demand is for this. Alan Wake's American Nightmare was the developers pretty much admitting that nobody had any interest in the franchise and hastily concluding the story in a small downloadable title where you replay the same three maps three times and then you defeat the vast otherworldly dark presence forever by turning on a movie projector. :effort:

The end of American Nightmare actually admits that Alan didn't defeat the otherworldly presence forever, he just defeated that particular pawn of it (the evil doppelganger of him) and did not escape the dark place successfully. Hence, a sequel hook!

I dunno man, an Alan Wake remaster with all the gameplay tweaks imported from American Nightmare would be fantastic. One of the only major issues I had with that game was how drat long it took to burn the darkness away from enemies, and the latter definitely fixed that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh yeah for sure, I can't really see a true sequel. They've relegated themselves to basically having to pull the same twist over and over: "Alan tried to escape the dark place but... he DIDN'T, buy the next game". The remake would be great though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I would play a Paul Blart Mall Cop game. That movie was so dumb but I couldn't help but enjoy it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 has a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes which qualifies it for a licensed video game tie in. Come on devs you know you want to. You can even put in bad midis of Kiss songs and get away with it because nobody cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Everyone please donate to my Kickstarter for Pell Burt: Store Police.

I am really pushing #Blartcore games for Q2 2015. Paul Blart but it's a messy physics simulator where you tumble Kevin James head over heels toward piles of delicious donuts forever. There is no mall copping to be done.

• Locked thread