Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
az
Dec 2, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

and well it turns out the death panels may actually have some idea of what they're talking about.

figures that "the oldest man" would post this poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The appeal of the piece and the station's intent in publishing it is to get the viewership of people who think that scary young black men should be killed and certainly not given heart transplants. Period.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

Normal people dont really get into car accidents while running from cops in a stolen car. This wasn't just gee whiz bad luck

No I don't think you get what I am saying. Reckless people who we think are more likely to die in car accidents are better candidates because we know they're just borrowing the heart for a bit and we can give it to someone else after.

As opposed to someone who we think just won't take the meds, which destroys the heart.

tezcat
Jan 1, 2005

SedanChair posted:

The appeal of the piece and the station's intent in publishing it is to get the viewership of people who think that scary young black men should be killed and certainly not given heart transplants. Period.
Pretty much yeah. It's the same old "SEE? See how we gave this Nigg...err Thug...errr Urban Youth a chance to do the right thing and he didn't? That's why we arrest them disproportionately and discriminate against them! Never mind about all the other white people who poo poo their life away after getting an organ transplant. We need a feelgood story for bigots to justify their racism in a country where PC has gone mad"

And of course the bigots just lap it up.

The joke would is that they never gave this kid the same chance that they would give a white guy anyway. That's proven from the getgo considering the handwringing that was done to even make this kid eligible (case in point, this thread). Id be pretty embittered myself if some white rear end in a top hat treated me like a second class citizen where as some one else with lighter skin would get the organ without so much as a second thought. Personally id be tempted to wrack up as high of a body count before death as I could.

Or does this thread think that people just forget the lovely treatment they get through their lifetimes after getting a windfall?

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Xandu posted:

Ignoring everything else, rejecting a child because of medication non-compliance seems like a bad call. That's the kind of thing that seems like it can be fixed with the right interventions.

Means that some other 15 year old child who has full medication compliance doesn't get the heart. There is the hosed up logic of scarcity here.

quote:

Pretty much yeah.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

So this dude, at 15, became a micro celebrity and it was well known that he had some rough poo poo in his past but what happened after he got the heart? Like, were people expecting a meat pump to have some sort of rehabilitative value? Teenagers are already little shits, this one was an extra lovely one and at no point did anyone step up and do anything at all to correct his direction? Was he offered any assistance, or put in any programs, or anything other than being kicked out the door with a new heart because its not exactly shocking that a hosed up person would continue to be hosed up, there are thousands of people who knew about this guy that could have stepped up and try to do something for a fellow human but instead they brush their hands and then harumph when this gets to its logical conclusion.

Society is just that dude standing in front of the incredibly slow steamroller in Austin Powers, just screaming nooooooooo and nooooooo until eventually some old white lady gets shot because no one stepped up to actually address the issue and put this kid on the right path. Bystander dipshits.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Mans posted:

Rejecting to give a heart to a 15 year old kid, no matter how lovely he is. is pretty appalling though.

At 15 years old he still had plenty of time and opportunity to get a better grip on his life and change his ways.

I don't see how this is news. 15 year old with a lovely life got a new heart, kept on leading a lovely life.

You just really don't understand the concept of scarcity do you? This isn't a problem you can just throw money at and fix, there needs to be times you say "no" to a young kid so another young kid with a better chance for a good outcome gets a "yes". That's why we have medical boards and why it was bad they gave in to activism over what they knew was the best choice.

tezcat posted:

The joke would is that they never gave this kid the same chance that they would give a white guy anyway. That's proven from the getgo considering the handwringing that was done to even make this kid eligible (case in point, this thread). Id be pretty embittered myself if some white rear end in a top hat treated me like a second class citizen where as some one else with lighter skin would get the organ without so much as a second thought. Personally id be tempted to wrack up as high of a body count before death as I could.

"I would kill a bunch of innocent (white) people just to prove a point."

There's something wrong with you, I think "anti-racism" broke your brain.

tsa fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 3, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Xandu posted:

Ignoring everything else, rejecting a child because of medication non-compliance seems like a bad call. That's the kind of thing that seems like it can be fixed with the right interventions.

Whether we're talking about this specific patient, or a hypothetical patient that doesn't have a juvenile record, I disagree. I'd assume that multiple interventions were attempted before making the difficult decision to deprioritize a child on the heart transplant list. I think that it's rather unfair to assume that the administrators did anything other than agonize over the decision and do what they could to avoid labeling him non-compliant. But doctors can't control patient actions once they leave the hospital, and making decisions based on medically-relevant patient history and behavior is acceptable and indeed expected. And for what it's worth, it appears that the organizations involved did attempt to set him up with a mentor organization and perform other post-surgical quality of life interventions.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Let's be sure to invoke as many theoretical innocent white teenagers as possible in order to really ratchet up the outrage about this dumb criminal teenager who for some mysterious reason has become a lightning rod for people to whine about political correctness.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Let's be sure to invoke as many theoretical innocent white teenagers as possible in order to really ratchet up the outrage about this dumb criminal teenager who for some mysterious reason has become a lightning rod for people to whine about political correctness.

The mysterious reason is the other nameless patient who died so that Stokes could get his organ transplant. Who, since this is Atlanta we're talking about, was probably also black.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kaal posted:

The mysterious reason is the other nameless patient who died so that Stokes could get his organ transplant. Who, since this is Atlanta we're talking about, was probably also black.

OK, we can invoke hypothetical black teens too. *pounds table with meaty fist* Someone must suffer to validate my outrage!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Was he drinking 4 Loko?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

The shirtless picture clearly shows the heart transplant scar, so at least there's some vague kind of reason to use that image

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If he had any med compliance issues, I wonder if they were exacerbated by an unstable living situation. I can't even count the times I've had to sort through a kid's documents and track down meds that were not handed off when foster placements were changed, missed MRIs etc.

Complicating that further, a lot of kids who are in and out of the system like this have a history of working with schools and psychiatric providers who have an institutional predisposition towards using medications to control behavior rather than treat illness. If kids are being denied transplants for refusing psychotropic meds, that's an ethical concern to me.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

quote:

DeKalb Police arrested Stokes 11 times between 2010 and 2015, said Capt. Steve Fore. The charges included burglary, auto theft, weapons charges, terroristic threats. He had a burglary and truancy charge in 2010 as well as another burglary charge of a home in December 2012 and he picked up another burglary charge in February 2013, six months before the transplant controversy erupted, Fore said.

In April of that year police stopped a Tahoe with Stokes and two other teens because someone complained the group had fired a gun several times after a disagreement. The arresting officer found two stolen pistols and also arrested Stokes for an outstanding arson warrant, the report said.

Black or White, the kid sounds like scum tbh. How many kids with that kind of criminal record go on to live peaceful, productive lives?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

tumblr.txt posted:

Black or White, the kid sounds like scum tbh. How many kids with that kind of criminal record go on to live peaceful, productive lives?

More than you'd think when they get aid from society rather than derision and accusations of being scum.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Have any studies been done indicating that there could be a racial bias in who receives organ transplants? That kinda seems what the important question is. No amount of going back and forth over this particular case should affect actual organ transplant procedures, except maybe in the future hospitals will be less likely to be pressured by activists.

tumblr.txt
Jan 11, 2015

by zen death robot

nutranurse posted:

More than you'd think when they get aid from society rather than derision and accusations of being scum.
If 11 arrests, multiple charges & a carjacking doesn't qualify someone as scum, what does?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

nutranurse posted:

Except our only social support system is the military. Far better to allow someone to die so that another can live, than revamp our system and raise taxes.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

A very funny picture you have right here.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

tumblr.txt posted:

If 11 arrests, multiple charges & a carjacking doesn't qualify someone as scum, what does?

A teenager getting arrested 11 times is definitely not normal. It's the sign that the kid's troubled as gently caress and jail is probably the last place he needs to be?

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He was a bad person, and his family are also bad people for manipulating activists and the hospital into giving an undeserving person an organ.

The apple can't fall far from the tree

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Kaal posted:

:captainpop: I don't think the American Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network is responsible for those procedures. :captainpop:

I'm making a joke

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Adventure Pigeon posted:

Have any studies been done indicating that there could be a racial bias in who receives organ transplants? That kinda seems what the important question is. No amount of going back and forth over this particular case should affect actual organ transplant procedures, except maybe in the future hospitals will be less likely to be pressured by activists.

I took a quick look at the issue, and like most other things related to this topic: It's complicated. Federal law prohibits racial-profiling in organ placement, but at the same time there is a higher chance of organ matching between people of the same race. Simultaneously, some racial minorities are more likely to need organ transplants than others, while also being less likely to donate organs. The most extreme and sensitive example here is in the African-American population:

NCBI posted:

African-Americans comprise 12.9% of the population and 34% of the kidney transplant waiting list but only 13.8% of deceased donors. Barriers to minority deceased donation include: decreased awareness of transplantation, religious or cultural distrust of the medical community, fear of medical abandonment and fear of racism. Furthermore, African-Americans comprise only 11.8% of living donors. Barriers to minority living donation include: unwillingness to donate, medical comorbid conditions, trust or fear of medical community, loss to follow-up, poor coping mechanisms, financial concerns, reluctance to ask family members and friends, fear of surgery, and lack of awareness about living donor kidney transplantation.

These problems complicate the issue in many ways, and prohibit a clear understanding of what systemic biases exist (if any) and how they might be rectified.

http://www.organdonor.gov/whydonate/minorities.html
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2954674/
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21415828

Mandy Thompson posted:

I'm making a joke

:captainpop: :captainpop: :captainpop: :captainpop: :captainpop: :captainpop: :captainpop: :captainpop:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
12.9% of the population but only 13.8% of current donors. Why does the way that's put rankle me? I have trouble perceiving it as racism necessarily. But only donating at a higher rate than the national average is kinda bizarrely put, even if it's only 7% higher than the average.

e: and the rate of current donors was actually 17% so I'm not even sure what the gently caress. I know it wasn't really the point of your post. It's just oddly put.

Organdonor.gov posted:

In 2013:
20%of all transplant recipients were African American
73%of African American transplant recipients received kidneys
17%of all deceased donors were African American

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 3, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

tumblr.txt posted:

Everyone who posts on something awful is a worse human being than a repeat offender teenager

Zeno-25 posted:

He was a bad person, and his family are also bad people for manipulating activists and the hospital into giving an undeserving person an organ.

You forgot to mention that they're bad because they're blackpoor undeserving.

e: Also lmao that you're angry at the parents for doing everything they can to prevent their son from dying of a heart defect at age 15.

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 3, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Schizotek posted:

12.9% of the population but only 13.8% of current donors. Why does the way that's put rankle me? I have trouble perceiving it as racism necessarily. But only donating at a higher rate than the national average is kinda bizarrely put, even if it's only 7% higher than the average.
Well, they do represent a massively outsized proportion of people on the waiting list. Though admittedly that might not be their doing, if the people deciding who gets a new kidney are deliberately putting them in the back of the line whenever their getting it would conflict with a white person doing so.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Zeno-25 posted:

No, that's what family does. For all his faults, they still loved him and were in his corner wanting him to live and get a second chance. That doesn't make them bad people. A lot of people hosed up in a lot of ways in this, including maybe the family, but not for that reason.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Schizotek posted:

e: and the rate of current donors was actually 17% so I'm not even sure what the gently caress. I know it wasn't really the point of your post. It's just oddly put.

That's because the study is dividing donations up between deceased donors and living donors (which is normal practice within the industry). It's a bit confusing when you first realize what they're saying. The comparison is between the percentage of donators (~13%) and the percentage of patients (34%). African-Americans donate slightly above their population-percentage when deceased, and slightly below when living. It comes across as a wash. The problem is the disparity between what is needed and what is available, which worsens organ shortages and distorts the statistics. This is then catalyzed by the regional aspect of organ donations, since many organs (particularly hearts and lungs) cannot survive being flown around the country.

So Atlanta, for example, has a larger black population and so it would be expected that kidneys in particular would be in short supply. As such you're going to have a significant number of black patients who are unable to receive organ transplants there, whereas a white patient in Atlanta might find it significantly easier to get a kidney transplant due to less competition in organ matching. That looks pretty bad, but how much of that problem can be blamed on racial-profiling? I don't know, perhaps some but I couldn't quantify it in a systematic way. This issue is something that doctors and administrators are trying to address, but it remains a critical concern.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 3, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
We also have absolutely no idea if the media pressure had any impact on the decision to give this kid a heart or not but you have to assume at least in order to fit with the theiving, undeserving minority narrative.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Everyone who posts on something awful is a worse human being than a repeat offender teenager

I can't evaluate the level of seriousness of this post.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, they do represent a massively outsized proportion of people on the waiting list. Though admittedly that might not be their doing, if the people deciding who gets a new kidney are deliberately putting them in the back of the line whenever their getting it would conflict with a white person doing so.

African Americans represent an outsized proportion of the waiting list because they're more likely to get kidney disease for genetic reasons. Similar to the sickle cell anemia story, the same genetic variants that provide resistance to malaria also cause increased risk of disease.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/329/5993/841.full

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I can't evaluate the level of seriousness of this post.

You don't deserve your liver.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Check this out: what if, at age 18, everyone had to be evaluated to determine whether they got to keep their organs or not.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Better idea, mandatory organ donation, no exemptions.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Powercrazy posted:

Better idea, mandatory organ donation, no exemptions.

That would be ideal. Or just an opt out system instead of opt in.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

That would be ideal. Or just an opt out system instead of opt in.

But the precious bodily integrity of my corpse.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Adventure Pigeon posted:

African Americans represent an outsized proportion of the waiting list because they're more likely to get kidney disease for genetic reasons. Similar to the sickle cell anemia story, the same genetic variants that provide resistance to malaria also cause increased risk of disease.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/329/5993/841.full
I see. I guess discriminating against African Americans in terms of who gets a donor kidney or not make sense then, since they're genetically predisposed to ruin perfectly good kidneys.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SedanChair posted:

But the precious bodily integrity of my corpse.

We should probably also be cremating more people. Or doing that thing where they use some chemical process to reduce you to crumbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

We should probably also be cremating more people. Or doing that thing where they use some chemical process to reduce you to crumbs.
Sounds like something a murderer would suggest.

• Locked thread