Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Getao posted:

wait I'm confused. These events were almost two years after the heart transplant -- is that enough time for us to say that he was compliant taking his drugs?

apparently he was non-compliant before getting the transplant, which was part of why he was denied one originally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

murphyslaw posted:

While this poo poo head wasting a heart that could have saved a better person is infuriating, I'd rather have activists and people who occasionally gently caress up and champion the cause of the wrong people rather than have none to do that at all.

Pretty much, yeah.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

b0lt posted:

How about a compromise? Only people who have committed to donate their organs already are eligible to be organ recipients.

Can organs be donated twice? Like say if I got a new liver because my old one was wrecked in an industrial accident or something that wasn't my direct fault (i.e. I wasn't Mickey Mantle), could I "pass it forward" when I died?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SedanChair posted:

The anger they feel is incredible.

Pot, meet kettle.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think the lesson we have learned is poo poo happens and sometimes poo poo doesn't work out.

Yes. Although I would go further and say that even when everyone is acting in the way they think is the best way to advance a good cause things can still end up going to poo poo.

Seriously, nobody did anything particularly heinous: the kid's parents did what any good parents would do in their situation, the activists tried to correct what they felt was an injustice, the hospital tried to navigate a goddamned minefield as best they could by first denying a questionable patient for legitimate reasons (non-compliance with medication) and then reconsidering that decision in the wake of new factors (public outcry and the kid apparently complying fully with the medication requirements), and the kid straightened up and complied with the medical requirements for the transplant.

If the kid hadn't gone back to being a shitass thug rear end in a top hat after the transplant this would've been a non-story. But he did, and since this isn't loving Minority Report or whatever, that sort of thing happens. Sucks for anyone who didn't get a heart because of this kid seeming to straighten up and fly right only to go back to being a junior dickhole gangsta, and it sucks for anyone who suffers from the fallout of this story in future.

• Locked thread