Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You have to be on the straight and narrow when you're on a transplant list. No drinking, no smoking. They're really up your rear end about it. Surprised he managed to find someone to hook him up. Too bad he didn't use his second chance to turn his life around. Really lovely story. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Typical Pubbie posted:

lovely story but I don't see how Stokes' criminal behavior later in life has anything to do with the decision to give him a heart transplant.

Because he's black and had facebook pictures of him holding guns. Clear warning signs that he was a thug sleeper cell who was better off dead, but they killed someone else to save him because race baiters whined. Duh.

On a serious note, I don't see any real reason for this story to become popular, except for among not-racists who will hugely exaggerate the seriousness of this one case where a dude probably didn't meet the requirements to remain on a transplant list, but stayed on anyways because of public outcry. I remember in that documentary about the gathering of the juggaloes, there was some dude who was talking about how he needed kidneys or something, but he went on this big tirade about how he was on dialysis and he was still out there throwin down, getting hosed up, and eating juggalo food. In that situation, you're like welp. Good thing you're not too concerned about getting a transplant, because you drat sure aren't getting one now. Stokes may have been in a similar situation, but even so, if juggalo kid got his kidneys anyways and then ended up overdosing on heroin, nobody would care too much about it. They're just kids. You can't expect to predict how their life will play out if they get the transplant before they've even gotten it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Seems like one of those situations where activists jumped the gun. You'll see it in basically any decentralized movement against a real injustice that can spark grassroots outcry at any time, and activists for black rights are no exception. Similar to how Michael Brown became the figurehead for abuses by police against black men, despite Brown being custom-tailored for every racist argument to have some weight relative to someone like Kenneth Chamberlain, where there's no argument to be made. It's an important fight, but you have to pick your battles, and Stokes was a bad cross to die on. It's probably going to come back to bite the overall cause now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

murphyslaw posted:

While this poo poo head wasting a heart that could have saved a better person is infuriating, I'd rather have activists and people who occasionally gently caress up and champion the cause of the wrong people rather than have none to do that at all.

Definitely.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ReidRansom posted:

Fair enough. But this a system for dealing with scarcity; championing one person necessarily denies another that resource, maybe at the cost of their life.

And in this case, it did, but really how many times could this have happened? I'd bet money it's 2, maybe 3 tops. Most likely just the 1. It sucks, but it's also not exactly an epidemic. In every other case I can think of, the biggest victims from a movement getting one wrong as part of an overall noble goal is the activists themselves.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My kid could go on a shooting spree and kill 10 people, and I'd still be sitting behind him at his trial. Going after his family for their role seems a bit strange.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lyesh posted:

There will ALWAYS be an argument to be made no matter what. If Ken Chamberlain had gotten as much press as Mike Brown did, there'd be just as many racists yelling about how it was a good shoot because he was being violent and threatening.

Yes, but when you see that argument about Chamberlain, who had a bullet pass through his arm into his body, showing his arms were at his sides, and audio of police calling him a friend of the family, a lot more people would be like "uhhhhh"

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

The doctors rejected him because they worried he would not comply with his medication. This prediction was wrong. The fact that he died committing a crime two years later isn't really relevant to what happened during treatment.

They rejected him for having a history of non-compliance, not any sort of prediction. People have been booted off the transplant list for less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Typical Pubbie posted:

I wish Stokes was white so this thread could be in GBS where it belongs.

why would there be a thread tho

• Locked thread