Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Teenage delinquency is not sufficient grounds for a death sentence, despite what racists might believe. Organ scarcity and non-compliance adds a complex and uncomfortable dimension to the issue, but I'm honestly baffled that somebody could be so utterly without basic compassion to fault the kid's parents for trying to save his life. The guy wasn't some sort of spree killer or patient zero of the Hyper-Ebola Outbreak of 2018. He was just belligerent child with some violent tendencies. People are known to grow out of that, or to be continually excused of that until they reach public office, if they're lucky. The hospital in question made a logical decision, but so did the parents. There's nobody at fault here except for the kid, who I am comfortable saying should not have been behaving so recklessly after the transplant, but even then I would be hesitant to rake him over the coals too harshly because 18 is still in "not fully neurologically developed" territory. Don't call his family bad people for mistakes they had no idea he would make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

TheImmigrant posted:

"Death sentence" is a really dishonest way to frame the issue. Organ transplants are a matter of triage. There simply are not enough viable organs to go around, and some people will not get the organs they need to survive.

You might as well call it "genocide." It would be about as accurate.

Please read all of my post and not just the part that your idiot child brain disagrees with.

The hospital was well within its rights to put Stokes lower on the priority list. They have protocol to follow. However, the suggestion that his parents are somehow bad people for trying to save the life of their child in response to this is patently absurd. Expecting them to do hosed up moral calculus about the potential of his society-defined success versus ending up in jail based on teenage delinquency and conclude that some nice white child down the way deserves the heart more, as some posters seem to do, is what I am objecting to. Because it's stupid, you see. If you showed them some angelic little girl in desperate need of a new heart, then, okay, maybe a particularly selfless family would accept that. But if you present the idea of a nebulous Other Person On A List Somewhere, then you are going to meet resistance.

For what it's worth, I think that there is a good discussion to be had about organ priority protocols, the effect of a patient's race in doctor assessment, and organ scarcity. I would be very surprised to see that discussion emerge here, given that we are on what appears to be round 3 of the "concerned parents... or race-baiters!?!?" argument.

• Locked thread