Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
So we're actually at the point where we're whining about saving lives now? Viva la muerte, motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

I'd rather the heart went to someone who wasn't on the path to being a violent criminal. Until we have an infinite heart cloning machine we have to pick the most worthy recipients.

Viva la muerte.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

Do you not understand that there are only so many organs to go around? It's not like anyone is watching the kid die and cackling manically.

Frankly, it's pretty clear that, carjacking and all, this kid deserved his new heart more than you would deserve blood transfusions. But long live death, motherfuckers.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
When you think about it, there's only so many bandages to go around...

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You said it's not about race, then you said it's about race. I think maybe you're just a stupid motherfucker.

I don't think that guy should be allowed to get organ transplants, as he would obviously waste them.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

L-Boned posted:

Name calling. What morons resort to when they get called out. Sorry that intellect isn't your strong suit.

No, I don't think he was namecalling, any more than you are. I believe that PTD was actually accusing you of the sin of incest, which is disturbingly plausible, and in fact a family history of consanguinity seems entirely likely at this point.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

A Senator vs Joe the sheet-metal worker? Other concerns should probably be the deciding factor.

A competent General vs a Private, both in a warzone? The General. Letting the Private die will arguably result in a greater number of lives saved long-term.

Michael the Average Teenager vs Billy the Violent Juvenile Delinquent? Sorry Billy, society won't miss you as much.

Okay, but most hospitals aren't going to ask the kind of questions they'd need to know that you shouldn't be admitted, resuscitated, or treated, so in the interim...

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

So the serial killer with 5-10 years of life left should have equal access to the organ a Nobel prize winner with 60 years left, and letting the Nobel prize winner die due to a coin-flip is only fair. Gotcha.

With one organ, there may be multiple patients. The medical profession has to pick someone. By giving it to one patient, they are deciding not to provide life-or-death care to the others.

Since some patients have to forgo this care anyway, why not give it to the most deserving cause?

You're playing with words here. Practically a "human right" that many people go without due to finite resources is no right at all. Maybe it should be, but until we have replicators, we have to decide who gets what organ. If we have to make that decision why should it be made blindly, with no attention paid to the benefit (or determent) to society for a given choice?

A team of experts, much like what happened here before political meddling.

It should be a contributing factor, yes.

The team of experts made a decision based on the likelihood of his taking his medication. By that metric, they absolutely made a mistake in their initial evaluation, because the transplant was a resounding success and the kid took his meds. They don't use a metric of "social worth", which is why you are allowed to be prescribed medication.

Furthermore, if you believe that you can clearly discern who is worthy to live and to die, why not put that into practice?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

How do you feel about Mickey Mantle receiving a liver transplant?

They looked at the medical criteria, they decided to try and save the patient's life, they failed because his cancer had been malignant for some time. Too bad. You could argue that they made a mistake there, but I don't think the two situations are at all comparable. Anyways, what's your medical background? Moonlight as a surgeon in between trips to the Golden Triangle?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

The Heart is now dead, a mere 2 years after the transplant. A great success indeed.

If I am ever in the (terrible) situation where multiple people are dying, and I can only save one, you bet I'm going to apply my judgement.

That's not because of the reasons they used to initially reject the transplant in the first place.

That's not what I asked. You believe that you can clearly discern who deserves to live and who does not deserve to live, judging by your posts in this thread. Never mind that the metric you're using would necessitate your suicide, why aren't you going out and putting this into real practice instead of engaging in passivity?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

tumblr.txt posted:

You are a lunatic, and I'm glad your obvious mental illness should prevent you being able to buy firearms.

Ah, unable to deal with the fact that you were wrong about why they rejected the transplant, you avoid dealing with it. Then you avoid dealing with the consequences of believing that you can determine who deserves life and who does not. Finally, you avoid the cold truth that when it comes to social value, your life is probably a net negative.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

Mantle was a clearer case of mistaken medical judgment (he received a transplant the day after going on the list), but the hospital's reversal of their initial decision about Stokes' transplant was a mistake as well.

No, it wasn't. The medical judgement in the reversal was completely sound, because he was healthy, physically active, and was obviously taking his meds. The medical judgement did not involve "This kid is likely to commit crimes in the future" or else it was not triage.

quote:

My medical background is probably no more or less than that of any of the other bloviators on this thread.

You sound jealous of being able to travel. Jealousy will eat you up, son.

Ah, you realize that claiming both legal and medical expertise would stretch credibility beyond belief. A good sign.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

Yes, it was. Mantle and Stokes shared a high risk of premature death due to lifestyle.

Lifestyle factors cannot be and are not a major consideration in medicine, in large part because the natural conclusion of using them is that the rich get healthcare and the poor get gently caress-all, along with other unjust outcomes. For example, lifelong chain-smokers still receive treatment for lung cancer and emphysema rather than putting them automatically into category 2.

quote:

Yes, some of us are aware that we are not omniscient. Give it a try - maybe take a break from Posting and get a passport. You know, meet some Furriners. It couldn't hurt your Posting.

A normal person would be embarrassed to post something like this.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

We are talking about a limited number of organs, not generic treatment. I'm sorry if the distinction eludes you, but if that is the case I suggest you take up an activity more commensurate with your intellect, like fingerpainting.

There's actually nothing that says that organ transplants are special, especially in the ideas in this thread people like you and "tumblr.txt" have been espousing. Triage, for example, applies to all medical care, because all medical care is inherently finite. Besides, treatments for lung cancer and emphysema are often extensive and expensive and take up a lot of resources that could be freed up by leaving smokers to die. Hell, there's a constant shortage of blood, but apparently that's not sufficient reason to deny it to people in risky lifestyles. Organ transplants are very limited, but that's not a difference in kind.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

Yes, the difference in degree of shortage makes the difference one of kind. The shortage of transplant organs necessarily means that some people who could be saved by a transplant must die. This isn't the case, at least not in the everyday US, with generic medical treatment or blood transfusions.

No, it doesn't. There are plenty of procedures and medicines, "generic medical treatment", that are so limited in availability that they cannot be made generally available and some people who could be saved by them must die. There are also regular blood shortages which force the cancellation of elective surgeries, which in turn leads to people dying. This is also just looking at the rich countries. There is no difference in kind, you just want to have one so that you don't have to reconcile your opinions.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TheImmigrant posted:

For example?

Orphan drugs are probably the quintessential example. Paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria, which affects between 7000-14000 people per year, is treated with Soliris, which costs over $400,000 a year to administer, and bone marrow transplants, which are risky. Both are limited in effectiveness, as well. The majority of people with the disease cannot access treatment, and it has a high fatality rate. People die every year because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Volkerball posted:

why would there be a thread tho

GBS needs someone undeniably worse than they are to make themselves feel better, but they'd make do with this dead kid.

• Locked thread