Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
The appeal of the piece and the station's intent in publishing it is to get the viewership of people who think that scary young black men should be killed and certainly not given heart transplants. Period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
If he had any med compliance issues, I wonder if they were exacerbated by an unstable living situation. I can't even count the times I've had to sort through a kid's documents and track down meds that were not handed off when foster placements were changed, missed MRIs etc.

Complicating that further, a lot of kids who are in and out of the system like this have a history of working with schools and psychiatric providers who have an institutional predisposition towards using medications to control behavior rather than treat illness. If kids are being denied transplants for refusing psychotropic meds, that's an ethical concern to me.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ReidRansom posted:

That would be ideal. Or just an opt out system instead of opt in.

But the precious bodily integrity of my corpse.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

dogcrash truther posted:

In some cultures, the integrity of the corpse is extremely important. Shame on you.

In some cultures, wives leaping onto the burning funeral pyre of their husbands is extremely important; however, I don't give a poo poo.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Powercrazy posted:

I wonder what the cultural appropriation thread would have to say about that. You are literally stealing organs from the culture.

The organs belong to dead people, there would be no theft.

I once interviewed at a program that sources corneas. They have a 24/7 staff of workers whose job it is to comb through hospital intake data, call grieving family members immediately after death and try to convince them to give up their deceased loved ones' eyes. This should not be necessary.

The need for organs outweighs the need for cultural sensitivity in this case. I would be willing to tolerate religious exemptions with considerable hoops to jump through.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Zeno-25 posted:

It makes them bad people because of the end result, not because of their motivations. Good intentions and all that.

Someone else could have gotten the heart, instead it was wasted (and probably destroyed in the crash), so you have two dead people. One that deserved to croak long ago and another that could have received the heart and lived. That, along with all of the race-bating shenanigans by the family to manipulate the hospital into performing the transplant, makes them bad people.

How new and incredible, it seems that families should now take the objective worth of their own family members' lives into consideration compared to the entire rest of the human race before bothering to try and save their lives.

If this had been a school shooter with a history of mental disturbance, you would not have said a peep. You would not have thought to blame the parents for choosing to advocate for their son's life. You would have said "these things happen." And there is no sense in you saying "no I wouldn't have" because you don't know your own mind.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

L-Boned posted:

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, I see. Obviously, everyone else saw my point that was if you just went by qualified recipients, there was no way that kid was getting the heart.

"I'm afraid you're...underqualified to receive housing heart assistance."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
When you really think about it, should deliquent thug youth get to keep their hearts?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

I think that the key thing to consider is that if Stokes had been a troubled white kid using his church connections to get pushed to the top of the heart transplantation list, ahead of a bunch of black kids, then people would have not been nearly as willing to join his bandwagon. But when a black kid does the exact same thing, vaulting over the heads of a bunch of black kids, suddenly it became about getting a run in for the home team regardless of the cost. So clearly race played a pretty significant element in how the story played out in the media. I don't mind a little political theatre, but it's a pity that the system got undermined, a heart got wasted, and some innocent kid had to die for it.

Shucks, those team-minded blacks. If only they would stop just looking out for the home team, and not "see" race.

e: It is genuinely hilarious how people want to go back in time and take this kid's heart away because he committed a crime. And how the exact same crowd is posting the exact same pictures that they would if he had been shot by the police. Let's start an Otis Byrd thread so we can post menacing pictures of him as well.

woke wedding drone fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 5, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Amos Moses posted:

Those pictures frighten me sure. One of those gangbanger pieces of poo poo could shoot someone I care about.

Do you have any evidence that this kid was in a gang? Why would his crime spree prompt you to conclude he was in a gang?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

And a "gangbanger" doesn't have to actually be in a gang.

No, not at all. In fact there's just one thing that's needed for people to call a kid a gangbanger. Can you scry what it is?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

Are you planning on simply repeating this over and over in the hopes that you'll make it true? There is no evidence that the doctors did anything of the kind. The only information available is that the board denied him access to the waiting list due to a history of noncompliance, and then later put him on the waiting list after the parents and a Christian organization spearheaded a public outcry. If we're at the point in the thread where posters just start stating opinions as fact for a lack of insight or further information then the thread has truly taken its course.

Do you think "noncompliance" in some way foretold his crimes? Do you think it proves anything that he committed crimes after receiving the transplant?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

What are you guys arguing about at this point? He was rejected for reasons, those reasons were contested, and he got on the list.

There are two implicit or explicit talking points crypto-racists are relying on right now:

1) He was a thug and didn't deserve the heart; white doctors chose wisely and dispassionately but were overruled by pop-eyed, raving blacks

2) He wouldn't have gotten the heart if it hadn't been for the black mafia Sharpton brigade; a white person would have been denied the heart

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

semper wifi posted:

Both of these talking points are objectively correct (minus the hyperbole), though. He was denied for legitimate reasons (not taking his prescriptions previously, failing school, being in trouble with the law) and then after the story blew up with a "troubled black teen denied heart by racists" headline, the decision was reversed. If he were white there wouldn't have been any publicity at all. Also, last I heard, his race wasn't even disclosed to the people who decided his eligibility (initially).

Yes, thank you. I figured if I wrote it that way I could get people to agree with it.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

It's not as funny the third time seeing it.

Seeing racists who still can't hold back with the photos is the new hilarious joke, keep going.

<-----------------:love: yes, just like that I love it.

The anger they feel is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

shrike82 posted:

lmao. Don't tell me, she also got arrested 11 times for carjacking, burglaries etc.

She could be a juvenile sex offender for all you know. I wonder why you regard it as being somehow more absurd to make assumptions about her criminal record?

• Locked thread