Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Have any studies been done indicating that there could be a racial bias in who receives organ transplants? That kinda seems what the important question is. No amount of going back and forth over this particular case should affect actual organ transplant procedures, except maybe in the future hospitals will be less likely to be pressured by activists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, they do represent a massively outsized proportion of people on the waiting list. Though admittedly that might not be their doing, if the people deciding who gets a new kidney are deliberately putting them in the back of the line whenever their getting it would conflict with a white person doing so.

African Americans represent an outsized proportion of the waiting list because they're more likely to get kidney disease for genetic reasons. Similar to the sickle cell anemia story, the same genetic variants that provide resistance to malaria also cause increased risk of disease.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/329/5993/841.full

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I see. I guess discriminating against African Americans in terms of who gets a donor kidney or not make sense then, since they're genetically predisposed to ruin perfectly good kidneys.

Er... that's a very weird thing to say.

They represent a larger portion of the waiting list because they're more likely to have kidney disease than other populations. Whether they're actually being discriminated against, as evaluated by the distribution of compatible kidneys between them and other races relative to the proportion of the waiting list they represent, is a different one.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I was hoping this thread would move into "is there strong evidence or proof of racism in the organ triage process and, based on this, what role if any should public advocacy play", but nope, still retarded.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

Racism is a given when dealing with white people, other than self-loathing white people.

What about white people who aren't self loathing but do feel mild disappointment in themselves? Half racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

TheImmigrant posted:

I defer to Che Brigadistas on issues of Doctrine.

Ok, I don't want to be a racist, but I don't want to loathe myself either. Do you think if I look in the mirror and sigh in disappointment every now and then I'll achieve a healthy balance?

• Locked thread