Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
I see an Oregon plate on the 360 but Cali plates on the others - can I count you amongst the elite PacNW AIers or are you a Caligoon? (Judging by the landscape in the outdoor pics; I'm guessing the latter, but you never know).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
We're in NorCal. The car was purchased in Oregon, because Portland, of course.

The coworker travels up to Seattle pretty regularly for work though, and I'll probably be up there at some point too. Would be fun to meet some PacNWers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are you concerned about all those extra horses making things hotter under there? Like, will the cooling be adequate, or do you need to get fans or something

And how are you measuring engine temperature (if you've explained this already I apologize)?

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
I haven't had a chance to post up the electrical wiring pictures and all that jazz, but I'll try and handle that this weekend.

The extra horses will definitely make things run hotter. The factory fan is enormous and flows a huge amount of air through the squirrel cage layout they use, but we may end up strapping on some extra cooling fans to the bottom of the engine bay to try and force some more cooling air through there if necessary. Right now we're using exhaust air temp from the cooling routing as our "coolant" temperature for the purposes of engine warmup enrichment and it seems to do quite well. We'll probably end up jamming a K-type into the cylinder head at some point to get a better measure of CHT. Another person who has converted his 360 to EFI did that to keep tabs on everything. We're also probably going to get an EGT bung welded into the exhaust to measure exhaust temps for our tuning. That can wait until we're ready to start adjusting ignition timing, though.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

I haven't had a chance to post up the electrical wiring pictures and all that jazz, but I'll try and handle that this weekend.

This project is awesome.

Are you guys planning on doing anything else after the EFI is complete? Is there any more restoration that needs to be done?

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtV95U1Mat0

We have not yet doubled the juice. :v:

I suspect that 1. the throttle is not opening fully with the pedal planted and 2. ignition control will make a huge difference in performance.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
so will editing your videos so that horrific wind noise doesn't drown everything out jesus loving christ

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
you're going to find a TON of power in ignition timing. I can't wait for the results.

Did you pick up the 2 stroke tuning books yet?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does it have any kind of expansion chamber setup at all?

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

rscott posted:

so will editing your videos so that horrific wind noise doesn't drown everything out jesus loving christ

If you weren't hearing the horrific wind noise you'd be hearing the horrific volume of the engine or the horrifically bad commentary we have for the car's performance. DWI.

Nerobro posted:

you're going to find a TON of power in ignition timing. I can't wait for the results.

Did you pick up the 2 stroke tuning books yet?

I too cannot wait. We're ordering the coils this week to set it up for coil-near-plug. I grabbed pretty much all the 2-stroke books I could find. Tuning 2-strokes is a whole lot of voodoo, apparently. I have a feeling that dyno tuning is really the only surefire way to improve things, although it'll be pretty easy to tell if we're freeing up power on top speed runs!

Slavvy posted:

Does it have any kind of expansion chamber setup at all?

Nope. I guess another 360 owner has made them and has them for sale, but they are ridiculously loud even with mufflers and I'm really not sure that that's a road worth looking down. The power band would be absurdly restrictive, even worse than it is now. Making reed valve cages would be a much better path forward for keeping the car "streetable."

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think your top speed issues may be from your doofus copilot hanging his arm out the window, that wind drag must add up to at least a few tenths of a horsepower :v:

This thing is awesome and I really want to see it when I am out there in... wow, like 2 months. Time flies.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

I'm the doofus copilot! :v:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Nope. I guess another 360 owner has made them and has them for sale, but they are ridiculously loud even with mufflers and I'm really not sure that that's a road worth looking down. The power band would be absurdly restrictive, even worse than it is now. Making reed valve cages would be a much better path forward for keeping the car "streetable."

There's no real magic in tuning 2 strokes. But there's a whole lot of math.

Tuned pipes can be tuned to have broad powerbands, with long closure cones on them. It makes them less peaky, so you get less peak horsepower, but it's always better than a big muffler. Since tuned pipes depend on air temprature to control what frequency they're resonant at, you can use ignition and fueling to adjust the active frequency range of the tuned pipe. By leaning the fuel out at low rpm, you can have cooler exhaust going into the pipe, making it work at lower rpm. At the high end, shifting the ignition event later, and enrichening the mixture allows still burning fuel to go out the exhaust, raising the temperature of the tuned pipe, and making the pipe resonante at higher frequencies.

Tuned pipes can be quiet, it's just nobody ever "does" it. You still need a muffler sized for a 180cc for each cylinder, on top of the tuned pipe. most of the time people put on a muffler that seems "the right size" for the stinger on the end of the tuned pipe. That's definitely not the right size.

And now come the crazy ideas...

For inshore powerboat racing, variable length tuned pipes are a common thing. They also have been done on gokarts. You've got an electronic controller, there's no good reason you couldn't have that drive a servo and have VTEC YO! on your mazda.

While we're on that subject.. Honda's powervalve implementation can be done purely as part of the exhaust system. Honda uses a chamber at the start of the exhaust to delay the exhaust pulse and bring the exhaust tuning lower down.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

I'm the doofus copilot! :v:

Then cool it with the five-finger active aero you got going there :v:

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

So much downforce!

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
On the subject of the oil injection system: I was under the impression from my 66' Yamaha, which has a really crude system using a similar concept, that the older oilers tended to inject a shitload of oil because two stroke oil wasn't as good as it is now. Mine does something like 20:1 or more when you're on the throttle, and it can be adjusted. Might be worth checking the specs on the Subaru system as well. If your oiler is in good shape and you're running some nice synthetic two smoke oil you might have some headway.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Checking the throttle swing last night confirmed that "full" throttle there was only about 70-80% open. We're probably going to redesign a new throttle arm for the pedal which will give more travel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Checking the throttle swing last night confirmed that "full" throttle there was only about 70-80% open. We're probably going to redesign a new throttle arm for the pedal which will give more travel.

Steak Flavored Gum:

How is your Megasquirt setup? Did you get a custom trigger wheel made?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Is this the computer-reported TPS reading? Those have a WOT reading of ~80% usually, and 100% indicates a TPS error.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

This is a car where the only factory switched 12V source in the engine compartment was the ignition coil positive line. There ain't any computer-reported anything beyond what we've programmed into the Megasquirt. The TPS is set to 0% at idle position and 100% at wide open.

The trigger wheel is one of the sharp toothed small 36-1 wheels from DIYautotune.com using a Volvo hall effect sensor. Works great.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

This is a car where the only factory switched 12V source in the engine compartment was the ignition coil positive line. There ain't any computer-reported anything beyond what we've programmed into the Megasquirt. The TPS is set to 0% at idle position and 100% at wide open.

The trigger wheel is one of the sharp toothed small 36-1 wheels from DIYautotune.com using a Volvo hall effect sensor. Works great.

Okay cool, I'm going to have to use a 60-2 trigger wheel

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

What car are you 'squirting?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

What car are you 'squirting?

Audi 4000 Quattro with 20v 3B Turbo 5 cylinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

CommieGIR posted:

Audi 4000 Quattro with 20v 3B Turbo 5 cylinder.

:getin:

• Locked thread