Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

i cant beleive this.. theyre taking anothejr year break after a quarter of this season before showing the last quarter? amc has stooped to a new low

This is a joke, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Were or are there people out there that actually idolize Don in some way? Why?

Yes, I used to know one. We no longer have any friends in common, which I say having only lost him as a friend. I seem to recall that he thought the mens' rights movement had some legitimate points. He also studied The Game.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Xealot posted:

I just assume those people watched the first couple seasons and stopped. Because if you don't care about the fact he's a selfish douchebag, being Don Draper seems glamorous early on in a "suburban ennui" American Beauty kind of way.

But even if you don't care about the infidelity and emotional abuse, late-seasons Don is simply pitiful. Even as a symbol of nonchalant white male privilege, he's also so clearly broken that I can't imagine it being a fun vicarious experience for PUA-types. Seasons 4 and 6/7 in particular are like a horror show of Don's lovely alcoholic decisions. Whatever nice things he gains are utterly dismantled...it's like watching a trash fire.

He's nobody's James Bond, is what I mean. The character's obvious flaws make him a terrible conduit for some kind of male empowerment fantasy.

Outside of the Making a Murderer thread, goons are generally reasonable people, so between this thread, Sepinwall reviews, and Mad Style, we're all privy to a nuanced interpretation of the show and see Don Draper as something of an rear end in a top hat, but also conflicted with occasional glimpses of hope.

To an MRA, he's the Ideal Man and a consummate victim to the evil forces around him. His creative ideas are too brave and bold, so he gets shut down. His bitch wives are so childish and controlling, he really has no choice but to be a philanderer in order to allow the expression of his passion and vitality. It's Rachel Menkin's own loving fault that she ultimately rejected him and ended up dead and forgotten with a milquetoast epilogue. It's a tragic flaw of his that he continues to support people like his old bohemian girlfriend as his success builds and they prove their weaknesses.His later sad-sack alcoholic years are the direct result of being beaten down, subjecting himself to the foolish notion that he should be paying attention to the women around him (basically, it's all Megan's fault). If Don Draper is a tragic figure, it's because he was Fighting the Good Fight against the world of constant castration surrounding him. He's not the pussy everybody wants him to be and, in the end, after letting his cock hang loose road-tripping away from his society-induced-and-unnatural responsibilities and test-driving hot rods across the desert, he uses meditation to get back in touch with himself, the Ideal Man, to make the best ad campaign of all time.

Now that I think of it, it's kind of Objectivist. Huh. Gross.

I am very glad that this thread has been free of that terrible, awful opinion, but there exist assholes in the world who would agree with it.

(spoiler tags are finale-related. I'm of the opinion that if there's somebody watching for the first time within the last page or two, don't be an rear end in a top hat)

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Xealot posted:

Yeah, I can see someone having such a reading. It's terrible, but I can kind of see it.

Ironically, Bert Cooper kind of views him that way at first...he literally recommends Atlas Shrugged to him, as I recall. Before Don starts self-destructing and Bert grows tired of his poo poo, I mean.

That's an hilarious observation. I don't want to give Weiner so much credit as to have seen that reading coming, but it actually makes it hilarious since Bert is so...erm, affected.

Who ever knew that by the end of the show, we would kind of love Bert most? He's like the racist grandpa who taught you how to speak Japanese and weld and fish.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Antifreeze Head posted:

Saw that episode where Kinsey reappears yesterday. If anyone is keeping a list of worst episodes, this one gets my nomination. I thought his storyline wrapped up really well with him realizing that he wasn't as good as he hoped he was in the season three finale. But then he came back to tick off two boxes on the "Things we have to mention in the 1960's" checklist. Yarg.

Followed it with the one where they finally get an automobile account in about as greasy a way as could be possible. That was a solid way to bounce back and stuff is happening again, so I'll just forget about the Negrons and Kinsey and Lakshmi as I assume all of you have.

As that newcomer, I appreciate this but I also realize that I am late to the party so nobody should feel they need to spoiler anything. For me it is about the about the journey more than the destination. Lots of it has been spoiled for me in a sense anyway, like I know that Peggy left but is also coming back somehow because I've also seen promotional materials and the show's IMDB page.

Ooooh, and you haven't even mentioned the fun spoilers. You're in for some good stuff!

I love it when newbies catch up on shows like this; it's like seeing it for the first time all over again :allears:

• Locked thread