Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

About The Game
Beyond Good and Evil was developed and released by Ubisoft in 2003, back when Ubisoft games didn't have the "unlock everything in the near area"-towers. Their hard work lead to a game that was loved by the critics but wasn't able to sell well enough to be considered a success.
There are various reasons as to why Beyond Good and Evil wasn't able to sell well enough.

quote:

Beyond Good & Evil was not a commercial success. The game saw poor sales upon its release in the 2003 Christmas and holiday season. Retailers quickly decreased the price by up to 80 percent. Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine staff attributed the poor sales of the game—among many other 2003 releases—to an over-saturated market, and labeled Beyond Good & Evil as a commercial "disappointment". In retrospect, Ancel noted that consumers at the time were interested in established franchises and technologically impressive games. Coupled with the amount of "big titles" available, he stated that the market was a poor environment for Beyond Good & Evil and that it would take time to be appreciated. The Official U.S. PlayStation Magazine staff further commented that the lack of marketing from Ubisoft and the game's odd premise naturally reserved it to obscurity. Part of the disappointing sales stemmed from Ubisoft not knowing how to market the title, something that Ubisoft North America CEO Laurent Detoc labeled as one of his worst business decisions. At the time, Ubisoft's marketing efforts were more focused on the release of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. Ubisoft's former North American vice-president of publishing, Jay Cohen, and its European managing director, Alaine Corre, attributed the commercial failure of the game to a lack of marketing. "The game play was there, the technical excellence was there but perhaps the target audience was not there," Corre told the BBC. Corre later commented that the Xbox 360 release "did extremely well", but considered this success "too late" to make a difference in the game's poor sales. The game was intended to be the first part of a trilogy, but its poor sales placed those plans on hold at the time.

This however doesn't change the fact that this game was a hidden gem of its time and influenced lots of Ubisoft's games hence I want to spread the word of this game. It's also my way of bridging the time until we get some more information about Beyond Good and Evil 2 which might be finally another good Ubisoft game after quite a while... if it ever gets released.

For those of you who are interested, Beyond Good and Evil 2 is supposed to be in active development, although we still have nothing more than a short teaser and that's after about 6 1/2 years when the game was first mentioned

quote:

In many ways, BG&E is an inimitable game - it appeals to all generations of gamers and is an inspiration behind many of Ubisoft Montpellier's past and future games. It's still far too early to give many details about this new title, but what we can say is that while Michel and the team at Ubisoft Montpellier are working with the core tenets of BG&E, they're developing something that aspires to push past the boundaries of a proverbial sequel and leverages next-gen technologies to deliver a truly surprising, innovative and exceptional game. The entire team is excited about the direction this extremely ambitious project is taking, and we'll have more to share later, as it progresses.

Gameplay
Beyond Good and Evil is a jack of all trades, master of none. It mixes together a variety of different gameplay mechanics which are well thought out but don’t offer as much depth as other games, which focus on only a specific set of gameplay mechanics. That said, it’s not an individual mechanic but rather the sheer variety that makes this (short) adventure so drat enjoyable.

Beyond Good and Evil is officially labelled as an action-adventure. That means we can fight mean guys by swinging around with our stick and elegantly dodge their attacks by jumping or rolling around. At the same time we can also semi-freely explore the world by driving around in our hovercraft and search for some valuable treasures along the way.Most of the time you’ll be exploring these sort of dungeons (although the game never calls them that) where you have to solve a variety of puzzles to progress further and fight the obligatory dungeon boss at the end of it.

But wait, there’s more. We can (and should) take pictures of animals to get credits and to unlock additional rewards such as a better zoom for our camera and also additional pearls which we need to unlock upgrades for our hovercraft and to 100% complete this game. Then there’s also a bit of stealth gameplay but it’s rather simplistic. As long as your outside the enemies’ range of vision, well they won‘t be able to spot you and hence leave you alone. It’s not a complex system but due to the enemies strength and the fact that sometimes you can instantly die once you’re detected, you’re always afraid of being seen (hell when I was younger I was legitimately scared by those guys).
Oh, and there’s also hovercraft races, hovercraft battles, chase missions, flying around in space, shooting bad dudes while flying around in space and also tons of minigames (among them the infamous puck challenge)
As you can see, there’s a lot of variety in this game and although none of this mechanics are perfect or complex it never feels like any of these parts take up too much time. By the time you’re sick of sneaking around, you’ll probably be fighting enemies or solving some puzzles. It’s pretty hard to get bored due to all of the variety and it also helps that the story is pretty good.

Also worth mentioning is the amazing soundtrack of this game. The soundtrack uses a wide variety of different languages and instruments from all around the world: We have the Spanish minigame song, the Jamaican chill song, the Bulgarian propaganda song and so much more. They even used sounds from a small child playing with scrap metal in one of their boss themes.

Videos
Episode 1: Hillys Under Attack
Episode 2: Jamaican Rhino Garage
Episode 3: The Fart Jump and the God Wrench
Episode 4: Scary Monsters and Nice Pictures
Episode 5: Joining the IRIS Network
Episode 6: Almost at the Factory
Episode 7: Discoveries at the Factory
Episode 8: Pignapped
Episode 9: DomZ Everywhere
Episode 10: Secrets of the Alpha Section
Episode 11: Sneaking in the Slaugtherhouse
Episode 12: Human Cargo
Episode 13: The Big Plan
Episode 14: The Beluga
Episode 15: Pearls and Bugs Everywhere
Episode 16: Going to the Moon
Finale: Freeing Hillys

Characters

Jade
Jade is the protagonist and player character of Beyond Good And Evil. She's a sassy but strong tomboy who throughout her whole life grew up on Hillys where war is the only subject of discussion. She has been an orphan through her entire childhood and has no memory of her parents or where she came from. She was brought in by her adoptive uncle, Pey'j, who took care of her like she were his own daughter. Her camera, apparently given to her by her parents, is the only link to her origins.
Jade eventually gains a love and job as a photographer and started her own business - "Jade Reporting & Co." - and gets money on commission from various companies that are interested in her photographic and reporting skills. Along with Pey'j, she currently lives at the Lighthouse shelter with six other orphans and a dog named Woof. Because she lives in a poor district of Hillys, she has gained defensive abilities and street smarts that she uses in her everyday life. All the orphans look up to her as their big sister since Jade tries her best to protect them at all costs from the DomZ or any other threat.

Voiced by: Jodie Forrest

Pey'j
Pey'j, informally called 'Uncle Pey'j' and more uncommonly known as: 'Wild Boar', is a male sus sapiens. He was entrusted as the caretaker of Jade in 2415.
Later that year, along with Jade, he moved to Hillys—where he built the Lighthouse Shelter. He now lives there, along with Jade and six orphans.
Pey'j was born in 2385. Despite being grumpy, yet attractive and endearing, he is a fighter who has seen and done it all. He is an expert on mechanics and electronics, and is renowned for his ability to fix anything that he gets his hands on. Due to his background in engineering, he spends a lot of time in his workshop. Pey'j is a dedicated inventor—his latest invention, the Jet-Boots, represents the work of a lifetime.
Despite his reservations and fears, he has been a great influence and tutor for Jade, and still tries to protect her and help her out with her missions, whenever he can.

Voiced by: David Gasman

Double H
The ex-Hillyan Army sergeant known as 'Double H';(Hubert H), is a male homo sapiens. Like most soldiers, he has a strong sense of justice and social welfare gained from the Carlson & Peeters manual. He is extremely well trained and serious in his work; he never leaves a task unfinished.
Double H was born in 2399 and is a graduate of the Hillyan Army training program. He left the military after realising the immoral practices conducted by the government and the Alpha Sections. He then joined the IRIS Network; where he quickly built a reputation within the organisation, and gained its premier agent status.
Voiced by: Robert Burns

Apepresident fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnT
Jul 12, 2010
Nice.

I agree with the popular opinion that this is a wonderful game.

May this will push me to try to finish my own play through of this game.

Also, I had a hard time hearing you over the music.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

KnT posted:

Nice.

I agree with the popular opinion that this is a wonderful game.

May this will push me to try to finish my own play through of this game.

Also, I had a hard time hearing you over the music.

Thanks, still need to experiment with the autoducking. Somehow the music in this game is 10 times louder than in any other game. I'll try to fix it.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

... Why does this little orphan boy have a goatee?

I think you took a photo of him for the Homo Sapiens log, so its not like he's some weird alien where the kids get whiskers.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I think you took a photo of him for the Homo Sapiens log, so its not like he's some weird alien where the kids get whiskers.

You find out later in the game that this kid is actually a genetic experiment. A megacorporation combined the DNA of the world's greatest action heroes from the late 20th century, and this boy is the product of that research. That goatee is actually hiding a fist.

poo poo, I should have spoiler tagged that, sorry.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
In this episode we'll be using our hovercraft for the first time.
Sadly, our hovercraft is pretty old and needs some repairs so we need to head on over to Mammago Garage, where we meet Jamaican Rhinos with probably the best voices in the entire game.
After that we're getting attacked by the freaking DomZ once again and thus we're forced to murder another Alien Boss Creature. By the way, don't forget to take pictures of those bosses or otherwise you're going to have a bad time.

At the end we're going to check out the City, especially the Akuda Bar which has some awesome music and a couple of interesting places to check out. There's still a couple of things inside the city and the bar which we didn#t cover in this episode but we still have plenty of time so no worries. The important thing is, that we humiliated Francis in his puck-game and I actually succeeded in beating him during my first try.

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Holy crap never noticed that this boy had a freaking goatee. He somehow always seemed to be normal in my eyes ....
Seems like something must've went quite wrong in this world. I mean kids with beards, humanoid animals, mexican AIs with emotions ....

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Apepresident posted:

Seems like something must've went quite wrong in this world. I mean kids with beards, humanoid animals, mexican AIs with emotions ....

You mean "right". :colbert:

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
In this episode of Let's Play Beyond Good and Evil we'll leave the city behind and we'll start our first dungeon. This dungeon is basically there to give us some more tutorials about how we can use our sidekicks to solve puzzles and how they can interact with enemies and the environment using their actions or super actions.

Speaking of actions and super actions: We unlock Pey'js fart jump which can be used during combat as a knock up. This'll be pretty useful for certain puzzles and enemies later down the line. Other than that the fart jump is can't do very much besides killing every living thing next to Pey'j (although for some reason Jade couldn't care less about it)

We also unlock the multifunctional wrench with a super complex name which I'll simply call the god wrench. It's main use is to unlock certain blocked off paths for us but Pey'j is also using it as a weapon. However, I don't know if it increases the amount of damage he can deal and even if it increases his damage output it won't change all that much since the sidekick are mainly there to provide you with knock-ups and to tank some enemy fire for you.

Pierzak posted:

You mean "right". :colbert:
I'm not a real fan of having a child who has more facial hair than I'll probably ever have in my entire live but playing games with a humanoid shark seems awesome (and also the one cow show is probably going to be super sweet9
So I guess there's nothing to say other than

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm still pissed that Ubi is basically holding this franchise under the water until Ancel makes their next killer app. Jade is seriously one of the coolest video game characters I've ever played as.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
In this episode of Let's Play Beyond Good and Evil we'll be finishing up the ancient mines on the Black Isle.
The boss of this dungeon isn't all that hard. All you need to do is use your new super action so Pey'j can fart jump on his head and then you whack him a couple of times. He'll call in reinforcments for the first two rounds and during the last two rounds he'll be flying around and puke everywhere. Kill the minions, dodge the puke, rinse and repeat until he's dead and you get a new pearl. Easy peasy.

At this point the story starts to slowly unfold itself. It seems like the Alpha Section aren't our beloved saviours and the Iris Network isn't all that bad (atleast we've worked for them right now).

SSNeoman posted:

I'm still pissed that Ubi is basically holding this franchise under the water until Ancel makes their next killer app. Jade is seriously one of the coolest video game characters I've ever played as.

To be honest I'm actually kind of optimistic that we're going to hear/see something new about Beyond Good and Evil 2 this year. The last time we heard something about it was in summer 2014. Another game that was mentioned in summer 2014 was Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem and now all of a sudden we have a trailer for the game and some vague release dates. It's still wishful thinking from me but seeing as there are some similarities here I have high hopes.

And even if there's no Beyond Good and Evil 2 annoucment then we're still getting Wild from Ancel's Indie studio which also looks badass.

Apepresident fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 12, 2015

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
Hey man sorry to be annoying (?) but I think your videos are in the wrong aspect ratio. As far as I recall this game plays in letterboxed widescreen, which means you should remove the black bars at the top and bottom before making it into 16:9 ratio. The way it is now it looks squished vertically.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

ivantod posted:

Hey man sorry to be annoying (?) but I think your videos are in the wrong aspect ratio. As far as I recall this game plays in letterboxed widescreen, which means you should remove the black bars at the top and bottom before making it into 16:9 ratio. The way it is now it looks squished vertically.

...gently caress, there go my hopes of actually watching this thing.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
In this episode of Let's Play Beyond Good and Evil we're going to finally visit the HQ of the IRIS Network and we're going to see what all this fuzz concerning the Alpha Section is all about.
We get to know the next 3 locations in which we'll spend the rest of the game in in order to take same pictures showing what the Alpha Section is actually doing when they're talking of "protecting people". By getting the city pass from the IRIS Network we finally get access to the Fountain Square where we can check out a new shop and a hidden pearl. We can also finally put all of those hard earned pearls to good use since we need to get the Neutralizing Canon for our hovercraft in order to advance. This cannon basically adds a lock on fire for a maximum of three targets which makes hovercraft fights a lot easier.

ivantod posted:

Found a couple of ways to go about it but I can't guarantee anything. It seems like most widescreen solutions for this game tend to end up in crashes but I'll give it a try anyways.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
In this episode of Let's Play Beyond Good and Evil we'll be putting our new Neutralizing Cannon to good use.
We need this new weapon in order to access the Nutripils Factory but before we go there and do our job for the IRIS Network we'll be on a little excursion through the world of Beyond Good and Evil. We collect some of the hidden Pearls and since we're also so close to the lighthouse we can revisit our home to take a couple of pictures of those few animals that we're still missing. Thanks to all of those pictures and extra pearls we collected we'll be more than ready to get all the necessary upgrade for the Slaugtherhouse (which will be our next dungeon after the Factory)
We don't accomplish all that much in the Nutripils Factory itself but that's not a big problem since those dungeons tend to be rather lengthy so we're going to spend a couple of episodes in this one either way.

Also concerning the aspect ratio/letterboxing problem: I tried a variety of "widescree solutions" for this game. The only solution that didn't crash my game wasn't able to completely remove the letterboxing but it moved the black bars to the left and right side of the screen (They're also much smaller now!). It's still a better experience than what the original game can offer so I'm going to use that one.
That said, I already recorded up until episode 8 which means we'll still have the old look a little longer.

KnT
Jul 12, 2010
Apparently, I didn't get very far into this game. You're about to catch up to where I stopped.

I always found it weird that you had to blast your way in to the Factory, rather than a stealthy entrance. Not smart to send an agent of a subversive organization on a mission, guns blazing. Especially a new agent, with a recently high profile to boot (the TV interview).

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
In this episode of Let's Play Beyond Good and Evil we're going to explore the Nutripils Factory and we're going to make some interesting discoveries.
First we discover Double H who apparently is still alive. It seems like the Alpha Section was using some DomZ mindtricks on him and maybe also other people "under their protection". We don't know much more about it though but hey, we know that Double H is alive and although he tends to get himself into trouble he seems to be quite alright.
Our second big discovery is the spirit eater and boy oh boy is this one pissed to see us strolling through the factory. I actually made tons of mistakes during the boss fight itself (which is actually pretty easy) the biggest mistake being not taking a picture of this guy although I needed to pull out the camera anyways in order to throw some gyrodiscs at him.

We already spent quite some time in this dungeon but we're only like halfway through so there's still quite a lot of things to come.

KnT posted:

Apparently, I didn't get very far into this game. You're about to catch up to where I stopped.

I always found it weird that you had to blast your way in to the Factory, rather than a stealthy entrance. Not smart to send an agent of a subversive organization on a mission, guns blazing. Especially a new agent, with a recently high profile to boot (the TV interview).

The entire entrance stage of the factory seems to be kind of weird to be honest. It seems like we're actually taking the front door but once inside we have to climb up some pipes and fight against some wild crochax. The employees of that factory seem to have quite a tough way to work it seems

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah once you know what to do, this game is super super short. We're like more than halfway through already.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
In this episode of Let's Play Beyond Good and Evil we'll be continuing our stealthy adventure through the Nutripils Factory.
By sneaking through the factory we were finally able to take the another picture which we need for our report. It seems like the Alpha Section really is kidnapping people and then they put them into gigantic Nutripils barrels and send them off somewhere else. We don't now what they're doing with them but since we saw what they did to Double H I doubt that it'll be anything good.
However, the Alpha Section was able to discover Pey'j and consequently pignapped him. Now with our pig uncle gone we need to hurry up and finish this report, maybe we can still save him. Atleast they didn't crush his brain like they did with Double H... atleast yet.

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah once you know what to do, this game is super super short. We're like more than halfway through already.

You're right the game is super short, even without knowing the game. The part that takes the longest time is to find enough pearls to get all the hovercraft upgrades you need to complete the game. Getting all the animals can also be quite a pain since some of them are pretty well hidden but even if you miss them the first time around it's like an extra 5-10 minutes time.
Still the 8 or so hours you spend to complete this game are extremely enjoyable.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
There is not enough love in this LP...as in there are not enough posters appreciating this gem of a game.

I played it on the PC and I really liked it. It looks really nice, the world is great. The music is great and the mechanics, while not deep are just plain good enough. For all intents and purposes everything is arcade, which to me made it a joy to play. Combat also felt great. :) I really should go back to that game at some point in the future.
The biggest problem I had with it was the finale. I'm not going to talk about it further until later.

Thank you for playing this, let's hope Ubisoft has some news about the second part at some point. But I just don't believe it will ever come. :smith:

Carlson and Peeters!

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New Episode out now!
In this episode of Let's Play Beyond Good and Evil we're going to finally wrap up the rest of the Nutripils Factory and then we should be able to finally go back to the city once again and do some more stuff over there.
We basically need to sneak past some more Alpha Section guards and while we're at it we can also collect another key card that'll be super useful for the rest of the game. With both new key cards (there's actually a third one we still need to get) we can open up almost every door inside the city and collect some more pearls from the stinking Alpha Section.
Once we're done sneaking around we get to fight another boss fight. This one is once again super simplistic but I really love its design and also the song that plays during the fight sounds freaking amazing.
After we defeated the boss we're ready to finally leave this hell hole behind us. Unfortunately the DomZ experiment took its toll on Double H, he's not doing so well which might be a problem.

Darth TNT posted:

There is not enough love in this LP...as in there are not enough posters appreciating this gem of a game.

I played it on the PC and I really liked it. It looks really nice, the world is great. The music is great and the mechanics, while not deep are just plain good enough. For all intents and purposes everything is arcade, which to me made it a joy to play. Combat also felt great. :) I really should go back to that game at some point in the future.
The biggest problem I had with it was the finale. I'm not going to talk about it further until later.

Thank you for playing this, let's hope Ubisoft has some news about the second part at some point. But I just don't believe it will ever come. :smith:

Carlson and Peeters!

It's actually kind of funny since I actually thought that more people on this forum would know this game but it seems like I was wrong about that.
Still, playing through the game a second time a joy so I'm more than happy that I can keep doing this LP. Maybe once this game finally gets its well overdue sequel it'll get some more notoriety but all we can do (sadly) is wait and hope that it'll happen someday.

Thank you so much for your feedback!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Hey I remember this game! Whacky minor characters, charming vistas, a decent-to-good combat system and a kickass soundtrack. Stealth system was also decent (though I'd appreciate more complexity).

Oh to be young(er) again... I think it's time to set "home sweet home" as my alarm tune. That or "Spanish Bar". Or "Ballad of Hyllis". Or "Dancing with Domz". Or ...

gently caress this soundtrack is so good.

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 19, 2015

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah just sailing around Hyllis in your hovercraft is pretty great. The music is so great and it is so pretty and chill.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I seem to recall getting stuck in the Factory back in the day. Looking forward to the remainder.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
Now that we're finally back in the city we can put those newly found key cards to good use. Both of them (and also Double H) open up new areas in the city which once again are going to provide us with some additional pearls.
The new areas this time around are actually pretty well designed, the elevator segment was kinda crap due to it being a simple memorization game, but besides that I'm more than happy with the new areas. Especially the chasing section is freaking amazing. Sadly there's only like two of them in the entire game but both of them are amazing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

That flying dude is not the General, right? He comes in a later part?

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

SSNeoman posted:

That flying dude is not the General, right? He comes in a later part?

Yup, that guy comes later. But during the chase sequences there's always one flying guy chasing you, probably to show you that there's even tougher guys than the regular ones.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
In this episode of Let's Play Beyond Good and Evil we're going to check out the entrance of the slaugtherhouse.
Getting inside of that building is quite a feat: First of all you need to find the hidden entrance somewhere in the middle of racetrack 3. Once you did that, you have to drive past a mechanical spider who's messing around with its laser beams and after that you can play around with some torpedos. Once you did all of that you basically got rid of the "hard" part (although it's still quite easy)
Once you finally enter the surveillance room you basically reached your goal: You can now open up all the areas you need to visit for your mission but there's also quite a lot of things inside of this one room that are quite easy to miss (such as well hidden animals)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm always impressed how despite this game's cartoony artsyle, it still manages to have a ton of badass moments. Avoid the giant laser-shooting spider tank by flying down a wrecked highway in your hovercraft! Infiltrate a paramilitary facility using only your basic equipment!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

I'm always impressed how despite this game's cartoony artsyle, it still manages to have a ton of badass moments. Avoid the giant laser-shooting spider tank by flying down a wrecked highway in your hovercraft! Infiltrate a paramilitary facility using only your basic equipment!

Yes, this game is great. :)

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
In this episode of Let's Play Beyond Good and Evil we'll be taking the first two pictures needed for our report covering the Slaugtherhouse.
The things you need to take a picture of are actually directly next to one another but in order to be in a good position for a decent picture you need to walk quite a distance. Hence we'll be using the hovercraft in between those seperate stages to enter the next.
Besides that there's actually not a lot too say, it's basically some sneaking with easy puzzles so there's actually not a lot you can do wrong. However there are like 2 or 3 animals you can easily miss here and getting back here is a pain in the rear end so don't forget to take a picture of those little buggers or else you'll regret it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I had a really hard time with the slaughterhouse as a kid and I have no idea why. It's fairly linear, they give you maps early on, IDK.

Guess I was Bad At Video Games.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
It's time to wrap up our report about the Slaugtherhouse. The last picture we need is even more evidence that the Alpha Section and the DomZ are working togehter (though to be honest even the pictures from the Nutripils Factory would've been enough to persuade me.... just saying)
With our completed report the governor is finally nice enough to send us the code for the locked gate at the entrance so we're finally able to leave this hell hole and join the Slaugtherhouse Races once again.
The governor's even going to meet us in person just to tell us how awesome we are, isn't that lovely. She also gives us the last key card we need so now we can open up the finally Alpha Section building in the city and steal some more of their precious pearls.
Speaking of pearls we're going to need a total of 50 pearls since we need to buy two more items from Mammago. That basically means that we need to check out those last remaining hidden pearls.
Oh, and also Francis, the guy from the puck challenge, has a new pearl for grabs which means playing that crappy minigame all over again. Sigh...

SSNeoman posted:

I had a really hard time with the slaughterhouse as a kid and I have no idea why. It's fairly linear, they give you maps early on, IDK.

Guess I was Bad At Video Games.
Don't worry you're not the only one who suffered through that part of the game. I quit midway through since I couldn't find the last piece of evidence needed (and also because I was scared of those Alpha Section guards)

Hankosha
Apr 1, 2008

SISTAS ARE DOIN' IT FOR THEMSELVES
Loving this LP, thanks for doing it.

Quick question: Can you blow up mines by firing discs at them?

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post

Hankosha posted:

Loving this LP, thanks for doing it.

Quick question: Can you blow up mines by firing discs at them?

To be honest I never tried it but I think it's possible.
I think you can also blow them up using your charge attack since those mines are basically the handgrenades the guards normally use. Not a 100% sure though.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
In this episode of Let's Play Beyond Good and Evil we'll be finally collection all of our rewards for all the hard work we had to go through during the last couple of episodes.
Our first reward is a trip to the Alpha Section HQ in the city. Why do they still have a running HQ in the middle of the city eventhough there's tons of evidence clearly showing that they're up to no good? Nobody knows. But hey, atleast they have a whooping 10 pearls simply lying around (though i really don't know what they would need pearls for)
Our second reward is to get an upgrade for our hovercraft, except this time the "upgrade" is an addon, the Beluga, the spaceship Pey'j has been working on during the last two years. I highly recommend picking up the flight stabilizer from Mammago Garage so you don't have to go back and forth but once you did that, you can now fly through hillys which opens up a couple of new areas such as the Volcano and other not so safe but still lucrative locations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Actually, you do have a way of knowing which code you need to enter. Every single correct code you enter is saved at the end of the code entry spiral, including the one Jade entered at the other terminal.

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New Episode out now!
So this time around we're flying through Hillys in our new and fancy Beluga to collect the last 20 or so pearls which we still need to get. It might sound like a lot of pearls but to be honest the majority of these pearls are clumped up together in a single area so we actually only need to visit like 3 or 4 locations to pick those pearls up.
The volcano has like 15 or so pearls waiting for you so this is pretty much your go to place to get some easy pearls in a couple of minutes. The other locations aren't really that noteworthy, you could've gotten all of the other pearls earlier but I tend to forgot them for some reason.
Then there's also the second puck challenge with good old Francis. God, how I hate this freaking game. He's supposed to be better than before but it seems to be just a slight improvement. If you can handle the game he's still easy if you hate the game, you'll still hate it.
Oh, and for some reason there are a bunch of bugs happening such as Double H walking through the air and other retarded stuff.

AJ_Impy posted:

Actually, you do have a way of knowing which code you need to enter. Every single correct code you enter is saved at the end of the code entry spiral, including the one Jade entered at the other terminal.
You're actually right. I never noticed that the game automatically registers the code Jade enters during the cutscene.
Thanks for the information!

Hyperman1992
Jul 18, 2013
How were you able to have so many glitches at once?

-Double H falling down cliffs and getting stuck
-Double H refusing to fight/do actions
-Doors opening over and over again
-Water textures not working on beaches, looking like a big mess
-The hovercraft being forced backwards, and not being able to turn around
-Being stuck between one of the looter doors

What even happened?! :catstare:

Apepresident
Nov 9, 2014

You sure made a post
Update
New episode out now!
It's time to leave Hillys behind and go to the moon!
On our way to the moon we meet some kind of space whale who's trapped inside of a block of ice for some reason. Shoot him free, take a picture of him and tada, you just completed the last roll of film in the entire game. The reward this time around is an M-disk with all the pictures you took throughout the game. I especially love how the game took the glitch picture of Double H to show off the homo sapiens (now everybody think humans can walk on air)
Anyways once we reach the moon we need solve some minor puzzles which will reward us with the death of Pey'j. Not really a good reward but it's needed to progress the story further. After that we need to complete the report and would you look at that, Pey'j is alive... again. The reasoning behind that is really awkward and it's sadly never really explained (that's an overall problem I have with the ending of the game since there's simply things happening that don't have a real explanation)
It gets a bit more over the top next time where we're going to finish Beyond Good and Evil.

Hyperman1992 posted:

How were you able to have so many glitches at once?

-Double H falling down cliffs and getting stuck
-Double H refusing to fight/do actions
-Doors opening over and over again
-Water textures not working on beaches, looking like a big mess
-The hovercraft being forced backwards, and not being able to turn around
-Being stuck between one of the looter doors

What even happened?! :catstare:
I have absolutely no idea how all of that could happen. I think the water textures being a mess was something we already saw once and I think there was also this one episode were Jade and Pey'j couldn't speak during a cutscene but I never ever encountered so many glitches/bugs at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The moon base is a bit disappointing. After the fairly lengthy slaughterhouse these hallways and backtracking are really boring.

• Locked thread