Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

the gr8 one posted:

i think the last guy was asking if dabbling was a thing (half bh half pistols)

Yeah, I was more wondering how much room we had left to play with after an elite combat profession. Like, if I am a Master Pistoleer, do I have enough SP to also take the BH Pistols line? Do I have enough SP to take Master Smuggler? That kind of thing. Just wondering what you see builds looking like.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah, I was more wondering how much room we had left to play with after an elite combat profession. Like, if I am a Master Pistoleer, do I have enough SP to also take the BH Pistols line? Do I have enough SP to take Master Smuggler? That kind of thing. Just wondering what you see builds looking like.

Currently if you are a Master Pistoleer / Master Bounty Hunter it leaves you with only 3 skill points remaining. So, this would not exactly be ideal as it would leave you with absolutely no self-healing capability, or terrain negotiation from Scout as we changed the pre-requisites as illustrated.

You will note that scout is no longer a pre-requisite for Bounty Hunter.

Smuggler no longer posesses any combat commands and the entire profession is one simple line focused on slicing and spice creation. It is considered to be a Combat Support profession and therefore only requires 21 Skill Points to Master now. (We have been discussing removing all pre-requisites from smuggler given its reclassification as a support class, and lets face it. It really sucked for combat and had no skills anyway. Smugglers aren't supposed to be warriors, its a job description for people involved in illegal activity, hence slicing and spice creation.)

Ranger still requires Master Scout, however Ranger itself has no combat bonuses in of itself and is mostly a gathering profession for meat, bone, and hide along with beast tracking. It requires 0 skill points, and would become something a wide variety of people would most likely choose to add to their template for that reason.

In short, I see people choosing to Master one elite combat profession, then dabble in secondary support skills, whether it be enough medic for self sustaining heals, ranger for gathering purposes, creature handler to sic your animals on people to give them rabies.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

You said that you were balancing armor by making all of the various types (bone/ubese/comp/etc.) identical. How are you going to balance the materials used to make them in that case? Why would anyone go forth the much more considerable effort to make composite armor when they could just pump out bone armor (with much more relaxed crafting component/ingredient requirements) at the same theoretical stat cap?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Drone posted:

You said that you were balancing armor by making all of the various types (bone/ubese/comp/etc.) identical. How are you going to balance the materials used to make them in that case? Why would anyone go forth the much more considerable effort to make composite armor when they could just pump out bone armor (with much more relaxed crafting component/ingredient requirements) at the same theoretical stat cap?

Either cosmetic / appearance reasons, or perhaps we would simply have more complex armors capable of higher durability that will last longer. You struck up a good point.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
How are you guys handing jedi?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Levarris posted:

Smuggler no longer posesses any combat commands and the entire profession is one simple line focused on slicing and spice creation. It is considered to be a Combat Support profession and therefore only requires 21 Skill Points to Master now. (We have been discussing removing all pre-requisites from smuggler given its reclassification as a support class, and lets face it. It really sucked for combat and had no skills anyway. Smugglers aren't supposed to be warriors, its a job description for people involved in illegal activity, hence slicing and spice creation.).

Really smart move.

It annoyed me to no end hearing Smugglers saying "We're smugglers that can't smuggle!". Yes you can. You carry a thing from one place to another place. It's an RP profession. Any missions from an NPC are nothing but renamed delivery missions. The old smuggler forums were worse than the jedi forums, IMHO

the gr8 one
Mar 27, 2012

weed griffen

Levarris posted:

Either cosmetic / appearance reasons, or perhaps we would simply have more complex armors capable of higher durability that will last longer. You struck up a good point.

wouldn't damage types still be a thing? maybe normalize those so each armor set has a balanced amount of resistances/weaknesses.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

iamthehans posted:

How are you guys handing jedi?

Jedi Padawan is a Starter Class that is weaker than a brawler which branches up to either Jedi Knight or Dark Jedi Knight in the elite profession tier. At master of either of the two you would be equivalent to any other mastered combat class in terms of power. Jedi is not going to be an alpha class. Lightsaber damage as a damage type is gone. Lightsabers are Energy Damage weapons.

the gr8 one posted:

wouldn't damage types still be a thing? maybe normalize those so each armor set has a balanced amount of resistances/weaknesses.

Specific vulnerability types have not been worked into armor sets. Yet. Currently we have balanced everything out. We may give each armor type a specific damage vulnerability, I am not sure that we really want to do this however.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

Levarris posted:

Jedi Padawan is a Starter Class that is weaker than a brawler which branches up to either Jedi Knight or Dark Jedi Knight in the elite profession tier. At master of either of the two you would be equivalent to any other mastered combat class in terms of power. Jedi is not going to be an alpha class. Lightsaber damage as a damage type is gone. Lightsabers are Energy Damage weapons.

Specific vulnerability types have not been worked into armor sets. Yet. Currently we have balanced everything out. We may give each armor type a specific damage vulnerability, I am not sure that we really want to do this however.

I'll have to sign up This really seems like something I could get into I'll make an account tonight

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

iamthehans posted:

I'll have to sign up This really seems like something I could get into I'll make an account tonight

Activated your account for you, looked like you were stuck at validating.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

Levarris posted:

Activated your account for you, looked like you were stuck at validating.

Thanks man it wasn't sending the email? I don't know I always have issues with my comcast email

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

iamthehans posted:

Thanks man it wasn't sending the email? I don't know I always have issues with my comcast email

I'm sure it was sending it. For some reason just some people don't get it.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

Levarris posted:

I'm sure it was sending it. For some reason just some people don't get it.

I'm down to help out where I can. I'm good at finding exploits and breaking stuff.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
I wonder how much crying there is going to be about this being an "inauthentic" pre-cu server.

Making jedi playable from the start would probably piss a lot of idiots off.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Goast posted:

I wonder how much crying there is going to be about this being an "inauthentic" pre-cu server.

Making jedi playable from the start would probably piss a lot of idiots off.

The only crying has been from people with a predictable amount of autism. I have been loving surprised as hell at the positive response from our community, and the greater SWGEmu community as a whole. I actually thought people would be lining up to hate on us.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

What I can't be a bullshit overpowered jedi that can take on 100 players by myself and win and is accessible because of an RNG at character creation? This is bullshit why would you rip the soul out of this game!?

I'm guessing it's like that but less self conscious about how stupid they're being.

I have to admit I've never played SWG, but I've heard a lot of stories about it. I might have to try this at some point because being a balanced jedi might be fun.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Since I can be a non-bullshit Jedi can I also have an orange lightsaber?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Whats the leveling progression like? Is it beat your dick with a mallet boring of the original game/emu or get to the fun fast of the bloodfin server? Please be get to the fun fast.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So do all the professions work or are some still being phased in? I have no idea how private servers and poo poo work, I thought this was all under one groups control. Help

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

What if I just want to cyber in a cantina for 18 hours a day

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

What if I just want to cyber in a cantina for 18 hours a day

Pre-cu had a built in macro system that would allow you to do this 24/7 until the end of time.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Tide posted:

Whats the leveling progression like? Is it beat your dick with a mallet boring of the original game/emu or get to the fun fast of the bloodfin server? Please be get to the fun fast.

Undecided on that. I don't want to to be too painful, but I do want it to still take "some" time to grind out.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So do all the professions work or are some still being phased in? I have no idea how private servers and poo poo work, I thought this was all under one groups control. Help

That depends on the server. Ours is a drastic revamp of the entire game, currently we have roughly half of the professions fully functional with our conversion. The rest will not take long.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Levarris posted:

Undecided on that. I don't want to to be too painful, but I do want it to still take "some" time to grind out.

That depends on the server. Ours is a drastic revamp of the entire game, currently we have roughly half of the professions fully functional with our conversion. The rest will not take long.

Make it as short as possible. No one plays SWG for the immersion of the game of it's leveling. 1-2 buff sessions is fine although I don't know how buffs work in CU. 4 hours to level a spec tops.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
That's one thing I loved on bloodfin... You get to the fun fast. XP caps were the devil.

bogey.flail
Mar 29, 2001

Tide posted:

That's one thing I loved on bloodfin... You get to the fun fast. XP caps were the devil.

I'd like to see the crafting professions at least have an xp bump or have less of a grind, otherwise it's going to take a long time to get decent armour and weapons crafted.

A stable economy would be awesome too, Bloodfin's kind of sucked.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I did like the tapes for crafting thing bloodfin had but having the tapes 22-25 was retarded. 1-10 would be kinda nice. Assuming tapes existed in CU..

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Tai posted:

I did like the tapes for crafting thing bloodfin had but having the tapes 22-25 was retarded. 1-10 would be kinda nice. Assuming tapes existed in CU..

At first I liked that too, but then I realized how much it trivialized farming any type of PvE mob specifically for tapes. One of the key things about playing a game is having things to do in it.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I felt like it was a nice addition. It gave something to do to crafters and a way to make some cash while grinding. It would be especially more beneficial on a server with a lower alt limit.

And some people actually like crafting in SWG, or that's the rumor anyway.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I like the philosophy of this server, taking good bits from here and there, rather than slavishly adhering to a certain vintage of SWG. If I had the time, I'd be so in.

Also, Lev Arris, The Darkening was massively underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXgBzU4EgFM

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I hope that your server gets a good-sized population. It was a lot of fun back in the day having a guild city and building it up and having a good population helps that a lot.

Rearden
Nov 28, 2012

Losers
Average
Losers
http://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/16/a-jedi-saga/

Cool article from one of the original devs on the jedi system.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Man that's really brings up a mixture of nostalgia and depression. SOE really sucked. I blame John Smedley.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Man that's really brings up a mixture of nostalgia and depression. SOE really sucked. I blame John Smedley.

If you ever want to relive the poo poo that was SWG at the beginning and don't want to play on Basilisk, there's always The Repopulation.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Drone posted:

If you ever want to relive the poo poo that was SWG at the beginning and don't want to play on Basilisk, there's always The Repopulation.

Perhaps, but face it. SWG never really was an amazing game. It had potential at every point in its life, but the game itself was pretty much poo poo. What made it palatable was the Star Wars IP, and its community. The Repopulation is basically SWG without the SW, so an imperfect game riddled with problems that doesn't even have stormtroopers. Meh.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Levarris posted:

Perhaps, but face it. SWG never really was an amazing game. It had potential at every point in its life, but the game itself was pretty much poo poo. What made it palatable was the Star Wars IP, and its community. The Repopulation is basically SWG without the SW, so an imperfect game riddled with problems that doesn't even have stormtroopers. Meh.

I disagree actually.

Resource gathering, crafting, player housing, character builds, the lack of leveling for days and days are one of if not the best of any game. What everyone wants who plays on these SWG EMU servers is old SWG but with all the bugs fixed. Then followed by an active dev team which add in bonus content without loving it up.

If you have basilisks population and decent dev team with bloodfin taking decent stuff like NGE housing and adding more content while leaving core game play alone, you'll have a thriving population for years. Also leaving jedi to be a 6 month grind and not handing out deeds. Also no pod racers.

Bloodfin had its faults but the extra dungeons and events is what basilisk lacks.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Tai posted:

Resource gathering, crafting, player housing, character builds, the lack of leveling for days and days are one of if not the best of any game.

Eh, there were a lot of builds you could hypothetically use but there was really no point in most of them because the three or four builds everyone used were too good. Kind of like how there were tons of different kinds of weapons and armor you could make but most of them never got used. Having "really great" character builds means more than having a ton of options, it also means having those options be competitive.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Sure, there were the cookie cutter PvE builds depending on what you wanted to do:

Krayts: CM/Rifle
Elders: Sword/xxx
Missions: Slicer/xxx
Resources: Ranger/xxx
BH PvE missions: Investigation3/xxx

The builds above weren't that money intensive. Then you could through money at the builds and make other builds work just fine with tapes for example.

Then you factor in grouping/boxing and you could remove certain things because you had a state heal doc for example.

Yeah, armour I agree with. Comp all the way. Grind comp, 90% kinetic comp or stun comp was the only choice unless you hunted Jedi.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Is Bloodfin ever going to be wiped with a new update? Because I really want to start with a fresh server where half the population arent already Jedi. Also I can only imagine the elitist dick waving going on there.

Is my only choice to wait for the "official" SWGEMU server Basilisk to be wiped? And are they going to add in new content like Bloodfin?

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think they are aiming for a pretty straightforward precu experience; as it was, warts and all, balance and bugs be damned. I'd like to be wrong, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I really hope you're wrong because that's a recipe for a dead server within a year. It goes without saying that MMOs live and die by content updates, and I remember putting up with annoying crap in 04/05 because of the promise of things eventually getting fixed. (We all know how that turned out) A server in a perpetual state of circa Fall 2004 is simply not sustainable once the novelty wears off.

• Locked thread