Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

gently caress the haters, Android phones have had awesome games for years now!

Old thread!

Android gaming has come a long way! There are still iOS only games, but most games tend to launch on iOS first and come to Android later at the very least. As the market share has increased, so has the quality of the games. That doesn't mean that it's perfect, though. With so many different devices running a variety of Android iterations, compatibility issues happen more often about as often as you'd think. The switch to Lollipop has been a little rough, but things are good overall. At this point, there are enough games, with more on the way, to fill a lifetime of poops.

:10bux:
First of all, the most essential app every Android gamer needs is Google Opinion Rewards. Answer quick surveys and get free Google bucks! Here's some advice from Dr. Arbitrary: Read the survey questions carefully. Read the whole question, and then once you've read it, count a few seconds before answering. They have mechanisms to remove people who are just mashing buttons, early on you'll get a question that halfway through says something like "Ignore everything else and choose Espanol"
:10bux:

Here is the sometimes updated list of games people like...

Essentials!!!

This is a short list of games that have been adored by just about every goon. If nothing else, give these a whirl!

Hoplite - A deceptively simple hex-based quasi-roguelike. Free with a $1 option to add achievements.
80 Days - An Choose your Own Adventure styled adaptation of Around the World in 80 Days with giant mechanical elephants and an impressively politically correct number of female pilots/captains. $5 and worth every cent.
Galaxy Trucker - Based on the board game! Build a ship out of a random pile of parts and try not to take an asteroid up your tailpipe. $5 and also worth it!
Pixel Dungeon - A totally awesome free roguelike. It's open source and the creator has been updating the game pretty consistently for a few years. Free forever :comeplaymylord:
10000000 - A puzzley game where you slide stuff around to match them and fight stuff! Earn cash to upgrade your attacks and armor. Poop game of choice for many goons! $2.89
Hitman GO - This game came from out of nowhere. This is a very cool, board-game styled puzzle/strategy game in "Hitman" trappings. Move your hitman token strategically to kill the targets. It's beautiful too! $5
Monument Valley - Really cool and stylish puzzle game in the vein of Echochrome. Navigate gorgeous MC Escher-esque environments and manipulate the world to reach the goal. I think it's illegal to mention this game without saying that it's short. The consensus is that it's worth it, though. $3.99
Ridiculous Fishing - A great game with great art style that serves as a metaphor for the pooping process. You drop down a fishing line, pull it back up to grab as many fish as possible, and then blow them out of the sky. This mirrors the way you must force down the brown, wipe front to back upwards, and then throw the toilet paper in the air to celebrate the most productive thing you'll do all day. $2.99.
Wayward Souls - An action game that has gone over well with most goons. Sorta Zelda-ish with pretty decent controls. Also try Mage Gauntlet. $6.99.
Tripletown - This one hasn't come up in conversation for awhile, but it's a great game we went nuts for a long while ago. It's a twist on match three where you build up a town based on connecting trees and such to make houses to make mansions to make castles, etc... Definitely a great time waster and addicting. Free with a quasi stamina system. IAP removes this and opens up a few more game modes.

If you don't trust your fellow goons, you can take a look at https://droidgamers.com or https://pockettactics.com for some "professional" advice.

Here are the rest of the top picks!

Free-to-Play
Puzzle and Dragons - Thread - Match 3 with monster collection! They're pretty generous with premium currency.
Terra Battle - Slide characters around the battlefield to surround enemies and attack. Pretty unique mechanic and good production value
Heavenstrike Rivals - Pretty strategy game with class-based troop combat. Pretty good, but the premium characters are crazy overpowered.
Final Fantasy Record Keepers - Thread - If you like Final Fantasy, you'll love this! If you don't like Final Fantasy, you're an rear end in a top hat. Great music!
Metal Slug Defense - Like Battle Cats
Battle Cats - Like Metal Slug Defense
Heroes Charge - Thread - Collect troops and fight stuff!
Pocket Knights - Thread - Collect troops and fight stuff!

Simulation
Anything Kairosoft - Pick a flavor and go with it.
Fiz

Strategy!
Hoplite
Auro
Great Little/Big War Game

Puzzley Stuff!
ZZSunset Tetris (a solid version)
Drop7 (A good game from Zynga? Me-ow!)
Triple Town

Platformers!
Badland
Limbo
Shadow Blade
Leo's Fortune

PC and Console Ports!
X-Com Enemy Unknown
Shadowrun/Dragonfall
Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
Icewind Dale
Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, San Andreas, Chinatown Wars
Game of Thrones (Telltale)

Interactive Fiction!
Sorcery 1, 2, 3
80 Days (maybe the only game goons agree is spectacular)
Lone Wolf Saga (not the new one)

Traditional Puzzle Games!
Shortyz (Crossword Puzzles)
Hungry Cat Picross

Sports!
Madden Mobile
Flappy Golf
Motorsport Manager
Table Tennis Touch
NBA Jam
Ski Safari
Pako

RPG
Quest Keeper
Final Fantasy 1, 4, 5, 6, Dimensions
The World Ends With You
Mage Gauntlet
Wayward Souls
Pixel Dungeon
Chaos Rings + sequel

Digital Nerd Card Games!
Hearthstone
Scrolls
Calculords

Digital Versions of Nerd Board/Card Games!
San Juan
Ticket to Ride
Carcassone
Galaxy Trucker
Elder Sign
Star Realms
Ascension
Summoner Wars (not Summoners War, duh)

Arcade Action!
One Finger Death Punch
Super Hexxagon
Crossy Road
Organ Trail (yup, like Oregon Trail, but with more zombie shooting)
Punch Quest!
ZZSunset Tetris (A pretty good Tetris)

Disgusting Soul Sucking Non Games That Will Destroy You Idler/Anti-idler(you know you want to play a game for 60 seconds and then leave it alone for a few hours)
Tap Titans
Idle Oil Tycoon
Pocket Trains
Pocket Planes
Tiny Tower

Emulators!
Drastic - DS Emulator. $8, but it's INCREDIBLE and runs better than PC emulators
RetroArch - Emulates almost everything, though it's a bit wonky and the GUI is pretty poo poo.
Robert Broglia's Emulators - You pay for quality on these ones, but people swear by them. Definitely more user-friendly than Retroarch.

Random Crap!
Mr. AAaah! - A cross between Pilotwings and swinging into a hole.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I think the Rayman games should be in the OP platformer section too.

e: and King of Dragon Pass in the PC port one.

otherwise excellent list

SpaceGoatFarts fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 4, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I haven't uninstalled Organ Trail from my phone since I got it in a Humble Bundle.

And Leo's Fortune is a gorgeous platformer, highly recommended. Has Nvidia Shield support!

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I haven't uninstalled Organ Trail from my phone since I got it in a Humble Bundle.

And Leo's Fortune is a gorgeous platformer, highly recommended. Has Nvidia Shield support!

I'll update the OP later tonight. The more the merrier.

I'll put in some stuff about controllers too.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I think you should also add Monument Valley, Hitman Go and 10000000 on that list. They also get mentioned quite a lot, maybe enough to get on the essentials list. Otherwise they're all puzzle games.

I also like to suggest The World Ends With You, Mage Gauntlet and Wayward Souls (RPGs), Metal Slug Defense (free to play), Motorsport Manager, Table Tennis Touch, NBA Jam (sports), and Ski Safari, Pako and Punch Quest (arcade action).

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 5, 2015

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Auro should go on that list. In the same genre as Hoplite, but more focused on fighting than survival. It's had me hooked for a few weeks now.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I remember someone mentioning in the old thread mentioned a way to move in compatible games to a device. The example was putting hearthstone onto phone. I ask because xcom ew won't download onto my galaxy tab s, but will work on my Xperia z1s. I really want a bigger screen to play it on.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
The Broglia emulators should be in there too. Sure they cost $$$ but you're paying for quality with customizability and ease of use.

Also the FC/NES30 and iPega telescoping controllers are god tier

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Chaos Rings for RPGs, especially CRII.

Wet Bandit
Nov 6, 2005

Thanks for a new thread. Some games have their own threads

DemonMage posted:

Of those not mentioned:

Numbers++:
Heroes Charge
Pocket Knights

and would be handy to have in the OP. :)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
For Picross/Nonogram lovers I'd recommend Hungry Cat Picross for a really good one, ad-supported or $2 for no ads, well worth the $2 in my opinion. You'll want to give it a try before paying, though, since the rules are a little different than normal. There's 400 base puzzles, 80 for each of five difficulties, and a new Tuesday Puzzle every week that is nine 10x15 puzzles making up a larger picture. Just last month they added a Tuesday Seasons category as well, giving acces to all 52 Tuesday Puzzles from last year, and they'll be doing the same for this year's puzzles next year.

There's also CrossMe and CrossMe Color for $5 each. I'd recommend having a larger device since the boards get huge (60x60 for the non-color, 90x90 for the color) and it's a hassle to zoom in and out. (Edit: My Mom has the Galaxy Note with the stylus, and it's a breeze to play on that over using fingers, either on that or my Galaxy S.) There's a metric fuckton of puzzles too, over 800 and 400 respectively, plus a random option if you just want to keep solving puzzles and don't care about the end picture. You can sync progress across devices using a Facebook login or a passcode, too. There's free versions of each that have 24 puzzles, I'd recommend giving them a try before buying, as usual.

Onean fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 5, 2015

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
As a new (four months or so, a week or two with a real tablet) Android user, my biggest lesson learned is this: if I like it on iOS, I check Google Play or the Amazon App Store because it's probably there too.

Been playing PAD, Pocket Mine 2, 0h h1 / 0h n0, Highrise Heroes, Pixel Defenders Puzzle, CC Soda Saga, Hearthstone, the Sorcery! games, Goat Simulator lately, debating about a season or two of Pinball Arcade.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009
Thanks for the rewards suggestion. Never heard of it before. Now to make some money. Only had 1 quiz so far today.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Regarding rewards, this is probably important enough to add to the OP:
Read the survey questions carefully. Read the whole question, and then once you've read it, count a few seconds before answering.
They have mechanisms to remove people who are just mashing buttons, early on you'll get a question that halfway through says something like "Ignore everything else and choose Espanol"

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Knights of the Old Republic should be added to the PC Port list as well, I've found it to be pretty good on my Nexus 7.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'd add a recommendation for Alcazar in the puzzle games bit as well. 540 well-designed puzzles, with a good curve from easy ones to teach the mechanics through to pretty challenging ones. A bunch of puzzles (of a variety of difficulties) are free, with small IAPs to unlock the rest.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Vogelstein 2D - a very fun top-down shooter inspired by Wolfenstein. Free to play, there are ads but not too annoying.
Death Ray Manta - now completely free! Great twinstick shooter with pretty colours. Port of a PC game.
Deathchase - remake of old, old ZX Spectrum game. Graphics are on the simple side, but the game is really addicting. Completely free.
Commander Genius - sourceport of Commander Keen Games, comes with episodes 1, 4 and fan-created episode 7. Compatible with many fan levels, also supports bluetooth controllers. Completely free.
Tyrian 2000 - another port of old MSDOS game, great shoot'em-up with many levels, weapons, great music and controls. Completely free.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You should add King of Dragon Pass

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
No mention of Major Mayhem?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
There is a weird lack of Kingdom Rush in the OP. All three games are great, but the first one can be skipped if you really feel like it I guess. (Frontiers is 2 and Origins is 3).

Also I didn't know Sorcery! 3 was out yet. drat it, I still haven't done a perfect run of 1+2 to prepare :ohdear:

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

precision posted:

Also I didn't know Sorcery! 3 was out yet. drat it, I still haven't done a perfect run of 1+2 to prepare :ohdear:

It isn't. It will be out on the 16th, so you still have some time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Needs more Ridiculous Fishing.

aka the only game you need :colbert:

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Man, I hosed up for sure. This is a great reminder of how many badass games there are on Android.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh yeah, Flappy Golf is really really good and its existence makes up for the whole "Flappy Bird Craze". It is also free, for some reason.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noodlecake.ssgflap&hl=en

e: I believe those guys are goons, they also made Bitcoin Billionaire and some other cute/fun games

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I'd add KOTR, SimpleRockets (maybe SimplePlanes, idk haven't played), isn't Out There a pretty good FTL if you can't play FTL?

The Telltale games maybe.

Edit: Good thread title.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 5, 2015

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

Isn't Out There a pretty good FTL if you can't play FTL?

It doesn't remind me that much of FTL, but it's a drat good game and one day I will defeat it.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
On the other hand, Out There is terrible and devoid of anything resembling interesting and/or fun gameplay.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Out There is nowhere close to FTL. It's more frustrating and less rewarding. Maybe their supposedly free update to Out There Omega will fix things but I doubt it.

It's very atmospheric though.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

precision posted:

Oh yeah, Flappy Golf is really really good and its existence makes up for the whole "Flappy Bird Craze". It is also free, for some reason.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noodlecake.ssgflap&hl=en

e: I believe those guys are goons, they also made Bitcoin Billionaire and some other cute/fun games

This game is really fun, and very battery friendly. I'll second this recommendation.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dungeon Raid: Goon made match 3 RPG. Pretty good break/pooping game.
Dungelot: A neat roguelike that has you tapping squares to explore. No loot weight restrictions/needing to eat/etc. makes it better than most other roguelikes.
Nimble Quest: Snake with an RPG twist to it. You pick up characters to grow your "snake".
MinuteQuest: I'm not sure what you'd classify this as, but it's pretty fun.
Twist My Jewels: A neat clone of famed puzzle game Bejeweled Twist. Has achivements, too.
AdVenture Capitalist: Fun idle/anti-idle game. Also recently added to Steam...
The Quest Keeper: Crossy Road meets RPG.
Weak Warrior: Hordes of monsters come at your stationary knight, and you kill them by tapping the left or right side of the screen when they get in range of your sword. Good for breaks/pooping.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Some games:

Carmageddon, The port is great, has nice controls and is really really fun to play. :siren: Just 0.99$. :siren:

Asphalt 8: Your typical Gameloft F2P but this one works a charm offline and is awesome, the download is over a gig so watch it.

Dead Space: If you know the horror/gore games from PC/Consoles, well, is old, 6.99$ but works great on anything from JB to Lollipop. It's not F2P or anything, just a nice single player campaign.

The Room: Great puzzle game for just 0.99$, one of my all time favourites paired with The Room 2 (2.99$).

I'll also mention other games I love like Wordament and Snap Attack from Microsoft, or House of the Dead Overkill (Sega) wich is a nice time waster too. And how to miss The Bard's Tale, great android port from the hilarious action RPG.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been playing The Sims Free Play to satisfy my urge for games where numbers get big. It isn't as over the top about wanting my money as Dungeon Keeper but I'm at the point where there's lots of hours between things to do. Anyone know any other "good" numbers get bigger building games?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Saw mentions in the OP that DraStic DS Emulator is really good. Thinking of getting it using the Google Play credit I got back in February from having a Chromecast. Does it play well with a Nexus 7?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Out There is nowhere close to FTL. It's more frustrating and less rewarding. Maybe their supposedly free update to Out There Omega will fix things but I doubt it.

It's very atmospheric though.

Yeah I got it with surveybucks based off of the many goon recommendations, and then found it to be a shallow and pointless RNG-based thing lacking any kind of meaningful choices. The only winning strategy seems to be 'get lucky'. Haven't touched it in months and months. If they do improve it and add some actual way to influence whether you win or lose, it would be a decent game. As it stands though it's just a pretty interface surrounding a non-game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Len posted:

I've been playing The Sims Free Play to satisfy my urge for games where numbers get big. It isn't as over the top about wanting my money as Dungeon Keeper but I'm at the point where there's lots of hours between things to do. Anyone know any other "good" numbers get bigger building games?

I enjoy the Simpsons and Family Guy city builder games. There's a lot of events with stuff that's buy only but they're not too bad about letting you actually do the events without paying a cent.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Kheldarn posted:

Dungeon Raid: Goon made match 3 RPG. Pretty good break/pooping game.
Dungelot: A neat roguelike that has you tapping squares to explore. No loot weight restrictions/needing to eat/etc. makes it better than most other roguelikes.
Nimble Quest: Snake with an RPG twist to it. You pick up characters to grow your "snake".
MinuteQuest: I'm not sure what you'd classify this as, but it's pretty fun.
Twist My Jewels: A neat clone of famed puzzle game Bejeweled Twist. Has achivements, too.
AdVenture Capitalist: Fun idle/anti-idle game. Also recently added to Steam...
The Quest Keeper: Crossy Road meets RPG.
Weak Warrior: Hordes of monsters come at your stationary knight, and you kill them by tapping the left or right side of the screen when they get in range of your sword. Good for breaks/pooping.

Good post.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

RagnarokAngel posted:

I enjoy the Simpsons and Family Guy city builder games. There's a lot of events with stuff that's buy only but they're not too bad about letting you actually do the events without paying a cent.

I gave up both of these games around the point where you had to wait a whole day for one minute of gameplay. That's fine for some people, but I just couldn't find the fun in it. I quit Clash of Clans and that Star Wars game for similar reasons though, so maybe it's just me.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I gave up both of these games around the point where you had to wait a whole day for one minute of gameplay. That's fine for some people, but I just couldn't find the fun in it. I quit Clash of Clans and that Star Wars game for similar reasons though, so maybe it's just me.

I'm not going to claim Clash of Clans is anything but a skinner box designed to part teenagers from their parents' money, but unlike most timer games there's almost always something productive to do (read: raiding). About the only exception is if your storages are full and all your builders are busy.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

What's the best NES/SNES emus? Dont mind if they are a few bux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Man, I hosed up for sure. This is a great reminder of how many badass games there are on Android.

Eh, I think you've done a good job. So many good games have come out since the last thread was started so any list put together would probably still accidentally overlook a lot of things.