Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Maybe teetering too far away from games as entertainment, but what about games that educate? Music, history, language, whatever. Are there any really good educational apps that format the content in an enjoyable way (like a game)? I'm asking for myself, though I expect much of the edutainment apps are focused toward children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.
I haven't played it, but Calculords? Or Trivia Crack?

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
type:rider is a pretty neat game that contains a lot of information about the history of typography
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bulkypix.typerider&hl=en

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

willus posted:

type:rider is a pretty neat game that contains a lot of information about the history of typography
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bulkypix.typerider&hl=en

Was just about to reply with this, it's really good. Got it for a dollar in a humble bundle and feel like I stole something.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
QuizUp is also another really polished trivia game, but probably not exactly what you're looking for.

There's also an unofficial remake of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, simply called Carmen.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

mrkillboy posted:

QuizUp is also another really polished trivia game, but probably not exactly what you're looking for.

There's also an unofficial remake of Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?, simply called Carmen.

I can't install on my Nexus 5 or Nexus 7. :(

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

mrkillboy posted:

How is Carmen not available in the US?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

TraderStav posted:

How is Carmen not available in the US?

The goal is to figure out where in the world the game is available.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The Ferret King posted:

Maybe teetering too far away from games as entertainment, but what about games that educate? Music, history, language, whatever. Are there any really good educational apps that format the content in an enjoyable way (like a game)? I'm asking for myself, though I expect much of the edutainment apps are focused toward children.

Duolingo is a really good language learning app - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.duolingo

Lightbot is a pretty fun game that builds coding problem solving skills - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lightbot.lightbot

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Spacechem is also a great programming game, but it probably won't fit on a tiny phone screen.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Is anyone playing Haunted Empire? It's a heroes charge/pocket knights thing crossed with dynasty warriors. So far I'm enjoying it more than the aforementioned similar games, apart from a few translation issues.

I started a Legion (guild thing). ID 3447

If you want an invite code use 262970.

Rapner fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Apr 6, 2015

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Kheldarn posted:

AdVenture Capitalist: Fun idle/anti-idle game. Also recently added to Steam....

I've been playing this on Steam while I simultaneously play Idle Oil Tycoon on my phone. I'm not sure what's wrong with me or if I'm even enjoying the experience.

Is it just me or does AdCap seem to progress A LOT slower than IOT?

The Yellow Ant posted:

I haven't played it, but Calculords? Or Trivia Crack?

Having played around 500 matches in Trivia Crack, I think I can say with some authority that there are so many questions that are incorrect, have terrible grammar and/or spelling, are repeats, are from stupid subject matter you see over and over again (ie Harry Potter or Friends), and Etermax seems to have no interest in fixing any of it, that I'd be very loathe to recommend it for any educational purpose.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 6, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Fatal Fight is a One Finger Death Punch clone that's pretty fun.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
It's probably worth pointing out that while Retroarchs interface is loving terrible (at least there isn't a close everything button mapped to something often used as a menu button, hi windows retroarch) it is also totally free.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Thanks for redoing the thread, there was a whole load of good stuff buried in the old thread.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

tarbrush posted:

Thanks for redoing the thread, there was a whole load of good stuff buried in the old thread.

It still exists, and the OP asked people to suggest stuff for the new thread.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Rapner posted:

Is anyone playing Haunted Empire? It's a heroes charge/pocket knights thing crossed with dynasty warriors. So far I'm enjoying it more than the aforementioned similar games, apart from a few translation issues.

In times of war, it's most important to look after your own life.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Longbaugh01 posted:

I've been playing this on Steam while I simultaneously play Idle Oil Tycoon on my phone. I'm not sure what's wrong with me or if I'm even enjoying the experience.

Having played around 500 matches in Trivia Crack, I think I can say with some authority that there are so many questions that are incorrect, have terrible grammar and/or spelling, are repeats, are from stupid subject matter you see over and over again (ie Harry Potter or Friends), and Etermax seems to have no interest in fixing any of it, that I'd be very loathe to recommend it for any educational purpose.

Would you happen to know a Trivia Crack alternative on facebook? I have too many friends that are way into it and I just don't have the heart to tell them that it might be making them stupider.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Has Alcazar been acting funny for anybody else? I'm getting lots of graphical glitches. I've tried reinstalling the app, restarting my phone, but no luck.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Rapner posted:

The engrish and bad voice acting is glorious. :allears:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Has Alcazar been acting funny for anybody else? I'm getting lots of graphical glitches. I've tried reinstalling the app, restarting my phone, but no luck.

I had this problem on my previous phone. After 20 or so minutes things just started to disappear and I had to restart the game. On my newer phone it still works as a charm, though.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Google surveys have really been going all out on the 'where have you been recently' surveys. And I've been basically nowhere lately, so it's all been selecting none of the above and getting 10 or 20 cents for it. Thanks, Google.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I got 70p for saying I went to John Lewis yesterday.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

Longbaugh01 posted:

Is QuizUp any better?

Lightbot is really cool, cheers to highme for the suggestion.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Yellow Ant posted:

Is QuizUp any better?

The general quality of questions on QuizUp is better, as are the categories. It's still self-moderated though, so you'll get a decent amount of questions written in bad English or that are incorrect, but generally I think QuizUp is better.

Also Trivia Crack seemed to be like trivia for babies in terms of difficulty, something QuizUp doesn't necessarily have (it does, but not nearly as bad).

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Drone posted:

The general quality of questions on QuizUp is better, as are the categories. It's still self-moderated though, so you'll get a decent amount of questions written in bad English or that are incorrect, but generally I think QuizUp is better.

Also Trivia Crack seemed to be like trivia for babies in terms of difficulty, something QuizUp doesn't necessarily have (it does, but not nearly as bad).

Yeah I was going to try QuizUp after Crack, I like that it has categories so it pays to be a big nerd in something stupidly specific.

I'll have to disagree with TC being that easy though. Yeah sure you'll get a string of dumb ones that you've seen a million times before like "Who is Spongebob's best friend?" or "Where is Usain Bolt from?", but then you'll get "Who was selected 51st in the 2008 NHL draft?" or "What is Mozambique's main export"? for crown and welp.

So despite some of it being easy, most people only have 50-70% category correctness rates, and good players around 70-85%.

I'm also convinced it's impossible to get the 25 wins in a row achievement without cheesing it and not playing truly random opponents.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

The Yellow Ant posted:

Is QuizUp any better?

QuizUp kinda sucks because if you play a lesser known category you're most likely going to be playing against a bot 90% of the time.

It wouldn't be so bad if the bots had some semblance of intelligence. They just pick a random answer after a couple of seconds.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
There's a new Humble Mobile Bundle out. The games so far this round are:

Auro
Bounden
Avernum: Escape From the Pit
80 Days (beat the average)
Kingdom Rush Origins Premium (beat the average)
Riddick: The Merc Files (beat the average)

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese
Wow - I didn't realize Avernum was ported to mobile, but it would definitely be a fantastic Android game. Most Spiderweb games probably would be, now that I think about it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cidrick posted:

Wow - I didn't realize Avernum was ported to mobile, but it would definitely be a fantastic Android game. Most Spiderweb games probably would be, now that I think about it.

Avernum is fantastic the bigger screen you have. I own a Nexus 7 2013 and an Asus TF-201 and it plays waaaay better on a 10" screen than the 7 of the Nexus. Same happens with Avadon.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
OP needs my favorite puzzle game:
Slitherlink (also a paid version available)

And since I've been playing it a lot:
Crusaders Quest

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Kheldarn posted:

MinuteQuest: I'm not sure what you'd classify this as, but it's pretty fun..

Annoyance with this one: the game has a built-in five-second ad when you try quitting the game. Not sure if it'll cause problems to manually kill the game, though.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Cruseydr posted:

And since I've been playing it a lot:
Crusaders Quest

Seconding this one. Once you get past the town UI (the game has a lot of menus) there's a fairly fun, if grindy, team RPG underneath*. The gacha mechanic is almost completely skippable since the majority of the heroes are available with luck through leveling up the random heroes that you can grind missions for. One of the fairest foreign F2P games I've played.

*(think FF Tactics' party management, though not the gameplay)

The worst part is getting the honor needed to upgrade your heroes to higher stars in the beginning. Once you unlock the arena you can grind for it there, but it's slow going with a poor team. It's the only thing I've spent money on since I'm an impatient scrub.

The best part is that bonus food (stamina/energy/whatever) isn't limited by your regenerating cap. You won't regenerate until you get below the cap, but it's nice to not waste the stuff you get from promotions and arena runs if you don't play constantly.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Cidrick posted:

Avernum and Avadon are here -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=Spiderweb+Software&hl=en

Should go in the OP :)

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.

Guillermus posted:

Carmageddon, The port is great, has nice controls and is really really fun to play. :siren: Just 0.99$. :siren:

I have to second this. Carmageddon is a great 'pass it around to your friends at the bar' game. It's been one of my go to mobile games.

And on that note.

Super Monkey Ball 2: Sakura Edition: Also a great pass around type of game. The mini games suck nuts, but there's quite a few regular levels, and no microtransactions (that I've noticed).

Chu Chu Rocket: A pretty nice puzzle game with a bit of a weird control setup. It was easy enough to get used to, but I would have preferred different options. This franchise was criminally underutilized, so it was nice to see this get a mobile port.

Both games can be had for 99 cents at various times of the year, and both are well worth it.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Welp, I guess I have a reason to try out 80 days now. Not to mention they will have a surprise next week.

Carmageddon is indeed a fun game to just mess around in.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 7, 2015

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Onean posted:

The worst part is getting the honor needed to upgrade your heroes to higher stars in the beginning. Once you unlock the arena you can grind for it there, but it's slow going with a poor team. It's the only thing I've spent money on since I'm an impatient scrub.

Went to double check the pricing options for this and apparently I'm misremembering as you can not buy Honor directly using cash or gems. You can buy heroes and turn them in for Honor, but that's just silly. Must have been Gold I was thinking of, as I have a crapton of it.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Largepotato posted:

The engrish and bad voice acting is glorious. :allears:

I'm starting to feel like the person in charge of the voice acting is purposefully making it so bad it's good, and the translators of the storyline are just really poo poo at their job.

I'm not sure why I'm so hooked on this game - a lot of stuff about it is terrible. But I can't put it down.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Chrono Trigger has now been updated to work on Lollipop. Hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Longbaugh01 posted:

I've been "playing" it for a few weeks, I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm pretty close to the end now too with only the very Angel upgrade to purchase. Then I'll be freeeeeee.