Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Hearthstone update: oh it's 1.55 GB installed, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Hearth runs pretty okay on my HTC One M7. The framerate gets a bit choppy at parts, and it eats battery like a big battery eating thing, but what can you do?

Also got garbage out of my free pack as well. :(

Antezulu
Mar 18, 2015
Lately I've been stuck on playing Pocket Planes. Got a coworker roped into playing as well, with a flight crew between us. It's just another little micromanagement game involving transportation via planes, but it's weirdly fun. Probably already known, since it looks like it's been out a while. Uses a Mobage login, which is annoying too.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Antezulu posted:

Lately I've been stuck on playing Pocket Planes. Got a coworker roped into playing as well, with a flight crew between us. It's just another little micromanagement game involving transportation via planes, but it's weirdly fun. Probably already known, since it looks like it's been out a while. Uses a Mobage login, which is annoying too.

Link for those interested.

Antezulu
Mar 18, 2015

Oh, thank you, on my phone now so linking is a pain. Yeah, that's the game. It's pretty simple and the game currency (Bux) is easy to come by.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
How is Pocket Planes different/better/worse than Pocket Trains?

Antezulu
Mar 18, 2015

Aredna posted:

No fuel for one. I played Pocket Trains, having to manage fuel on all your trains is a pain. Wait a while or pay with Bux. Also, you don't have to buy the (limited) routes, you just buy access to a station and can fly in from anywhere.

It's also much easier to get new planes/parts for planes.

Antezulu fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 15, 2015

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

How do you guys find these gems? When I look through the Play store all I see is "Flappy Mario Minecraft" by "Russian Hacker Games" :eng99:

Edit: oh sorry, the current virus delivery method is "5 Nights at Minecraft"

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 15, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Established companies that people have dug through a ton of poo poo or that are goon made in this case. NimbleBit makes a particular type of game that some people like, some people hate, and it's easy to figure out when they release a new one. Same with Kairosoft. Combine that with social media and random luck making people try certain things and it's not that hard to find good stuff, if it exists. You're pretty much out of luck if you want an actual good 4X or City Builder for example.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

How do you guys find these gems? When I look through the Play store all I see is "Flappy Mario Minecraft" by "Russian Hacker Games" :eng99:

Edit: oh sorry, the current virus delivery method is "5 Nights at Minecraft"

Blogs, reddit, word of mouth for me.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Rapner posted:

Blogs, reddit, word of mouth for me.

Any particularly good blog(s)? I don't see one in the op.

I get that the philosophy of Android is open source and indie development, but it'd be nice if there was some curating of games. Less Steam Green light, more GOG would be nice

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

I get that the philosophy of Android is open source and indie development, but it'd be nice if there was some curating of games. Less Steam Green light, more GOG would be nice

http://www.droidgamers.com/ is the only 100% android one I follow. Otherwise, people generally talk about whatever they're hooked on in their personal blogs.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I keep an eye on sites like Pocketgamer UK, Toucharcade, Android Police and Droid Gamers myself.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

The Play Store curating doesn't even extend as far as having an option for 'only show me games in my language'. They've got a loooong way to go before it will be remotely useful. In the mean time, I pretty much wait for goons to mention games in this thread or occasionally hold my nose and dip in to reddit to see if anything is generating buzz.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

victorious posted:

Lots of people in the Hearthstone thread have been pulling Legendaries out of their free iPhone/Android packs, I got Al'Akir myself :tinfoil:

Do I have to finish the 6-game tutorial to get my pack?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Ragequit posted:

Do I have to finish the 6-game tutorial to get my pack?

I think you get some packs from the tutorial anyway. Then you should also get the "Android phone" pack. When the iPad version was released they had a similar promotion.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Truxton posted:

Anybody looking for a good pool game should give Pool Break Pro a look. Lots of different variations of billiards, with Carrom and Crokinole thrown in as well, it's got online or hotseat multiplayer in addition to playing against the CPU, only a dollar right now, no IAP! There's a trial version too, but for a dollar I jumped right in and I like it a lot.

Thank you for this! I really love... uhh... whatever that pool game is on Steam, and this is a great mobile alternative!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BobTheJanitor posted:

The Play Store curating doesn't even extend as far as having an option for 'only show me games in my language'. They've got a loooong way to go before it will be remotely useful. In the mean time, I pretty much wait for goons to mention games in this thread or occasionally hold my nose and dip in to reddit to see if anything is generating buzz.

At least they don't show things my device can't play. I have an old iPod touch 4 and looking for apps on the appstore is awful. Apple just shows everything whether I can play it or not.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Aredna posted:

OH GOD THEY'RE ON ANDROID TOO. THE ADDICTION BEGINS AGAIN

Len posted:

At least they don't show things my device can't play. I have an old iPod touch 4 and looking for apps on the appstore is awful. Apple just shows everything whether I can play it or not.

Feeling THAT. I have an iTouch 4 as well, and if a new app doesn't require iOS 7 or a iPhone 5+ these days, it loads halfway and then crashes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

delfin posted:

OH GOD THEY'RE ON ANDROID TOO. THE ADDICTION BEGINS AGAIN

Is this really just Tiny Tower, but with trains?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

delfin posted:

Feeling THAT. I have an iTouch 4 as well, and if a new app doesn't require iOS 7 or a iPhone 5+ these days, it loads halfway and then crashes.

I'm debating upgrading to an iPod 6 when they inevitably come out but the only thing I use my iPod for is music and the Arkham Horror Toolkit since Fantasy Flight doesn't think Android exists.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'd say that other than being a "play once every x minutes/hours" game, it is very different. I played both for weeks, and enjoyed Trains' route planning over the more simple "wait for money for a new floor" thing Tower has going on. There are enough interconnected parts for it to be interesting in my opinion.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Here is a little beginner hearthstone guide I post on the iOS gaming thread.

Shwqa posted:

Here is a short little beginner's guide for hearthstone.

-Reroll all 40 gold daily missions. You can get 60 gold, 100 gold, and free pack daily missions.

-There are many one time quest like get all heroes to level 10, beat all basic ai, beat all elite ai. They all give 100 gold or more.

-There are quite a few budget deck that can get you decent amount wins. They are "mech Mage", "face Hunter", "zoo", and "patron warrior". You should focus on mech Mage first, every class can do Aggro mech but mage does it best. face Hunter is the strongest of the budget decks. Parton warrior is the most fun but requires you to buy the first wing of black rock mountain.

-If you are going to spend $$$. Do it on the adventures. They are designed to be have better bang for you buck compare to packs. Naxxramas has more important cards than black rock mountain. A full adventure cost $25 USD, but they are guaranteed high quality cards.

-Arena is the best way to gain cards without spending cash. Arena also doesn't take your collection into account, it is all about skill and luck. If you get 3 wins you break even or better. If you get 7 wins you can buy another arena plus a pack and other rewards. Go to the goon thread and get advice/stream and have goons help you out.

-If you aren't going to spend cash, keep in mind you will need some naxxramas and black rock mountain. Each wing cost 700 gold. You can get that in about a week and half. You need up to sludge belcher in naxxramas. And you just need the first wing of black rock.

-GvG packs have higher quality on average common and rare cards. While classic packs have higher quality on average epics and legendarys. I would recommend focusing on GvG until you have all the good commons and rares, which only take two months or so. Than focus on classic packs. Currently arena only gives GvG packs.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hearthstone is not compatible with my Note 4. :(

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Another thing to note about Classic packs versus GvG packs is that the GvG set is much smaller, so you will start getting duplicate cards faster. In Hearthstone this is actually a good thing though! Because you can turn your extra cards into "dust", and dust lets you craft any card in the game.

So once you already have two copies of a card, you can dust any further copies of it that you get. You can dust cards even if you won't be left with two copies afterward, but I recommend against this when you are starting out, because you don't have the experience to know for sure that you won't be kicking yourself because you need the five cards you shredded last week. This is important to consider, because it costs much more dust to craft a card than you get back from destroying it.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Nah. Planes and Trains are similar to Tiny Tower in that they have timer-based elements and no "endgame", but they have a lot more depth. Instead of building shops and waiting for customers, you're actively hauling things (passengers or cargo) from A to B. Each has a map that grows increasingly large as you buy territories, vehicle variety (generics, high-capacity, high-range), bonus events, and an emphasis on hub-based route planning. I beta-tested Trains on iOS and played the living poo poo out of it.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Montalvo posted:

Hearthstone is not compatible with my Note 4. :(

? I just installed it on mine. Although it runs like poo poo compared to the old modified one I got off reddit.

Also, I got absolute garbo for my android pack. :/

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
There used to be a pretty large goon presence on Pocket Planes/Trains a few years ago. I might be wrong but it might've been all the bitching from goons over Mobage that finally got Nimblebit to publish their own things to the Play Store.

And then goons continued to whine about everything else from IAPs to there being more than one version of Tiny Tower. I like Nimblebit stuff though, Disco Zoo held my attention for a good long time.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

As a super casual player I've had a ton of fun and success playing a basic Priest deck. Games are long, but frustrating your opponent by turtling and healing every turn until you get the most badass combo possible is so drat satisfying. You get so many ragequits once you open up a torrent of cheap bullshit in a single turn it's unreal.

Mage and Warrior can be a pain, but if you can hold out until they exhaust their hand, you can usually make a huge comeback and win. Anyone who has played a blue/white control deck in Magic knows how evilly satisfying that is.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Most classes in Hearthstone succeed by destroying your opponent's health points. Priest succeeds by breaking your opponent's spirit and driving them insane. At least, that's how I feel when I face a good priest, and they systematically nullify everything I've accomplished :saddowns:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Stock-market flavored twitch reaction game The Firm is now on Android.

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

mrkillboy posted:

Stock-market flavored twitch reaction game The Firm is now on Android.

So after watching the trailer and looking at the pictures I have no idea what you do in that game. Care to explain?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

EvilElmo posted:

So after watching the trailer and looking at the pictures I have no idea what you do in that game. Care to explain?

You literally just swipe left or right (and sometimes up, for bonus things), depending on what's required. There are two types of financial reports, red and green. There are also two directions the stocks can head in, up and down. That leads to 4 combinations in total. Two of those needs to be swiped left to sell, the other two need to be swiped right to buy (I might have the buy and sell directions mixed up). So, for example, a red dropping stock, and a green raising stock need to be sold, so when you see those, you swipe left. Obviously, then the red raising stock and the green falling stock are to be bought, so you swipe right.

I enjoyed it for about 20 seconds.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Shwqa posted:

Here is a little beginner hearthstone guide I post on the iOS gaming thread.

How do you "reroll" the 40 quests?

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

If you click on the quest log thing it should show a red x in the top right corner of each quest "card". Click on that and it'll replace that particular quest with a new one. I think you can only do it once for each daily set so pick whichever one of the three you least want to do.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, there's no way to use a bluetooth controller with my Nexus 4 without rooting, right?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Amazon store has one of those apps-for-free bundles going on again. There are some good games and even a few apps that look useful.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Hitman GO is 99 cents.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.squareenixmontreal.hitmango

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Amazon store has one of those apps-for-free bundles going on again. There are some good games and even a few apps that look useful.

Is anyone else having trouble with this? The website version tells me to install the Amazon app to buy the items, but the app version tells me to add the items to my wishlist, to buy and download them from my PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

This is one of our awesome super featured everyone likes it games. If you have $0.99, BUY IT! If you don't, drive by a Subway a few times.

Edit: I'll be updating the OP soon. I'm going to shoot for weekly updates, but my 9 month old is being a real prick these days.