Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I went ahead and spent the $15 bucks for the season pass. The quicktime events are a bit of a chore at times, but the story seems solid and it's a "your choices matter" sort of thing. They even go out of the way to flash stuff like "Lord Forrester will remember that" at the top of the screen when you make a choice.

All telltale games do that, but unfortunately when you reply making different choices you realize the impact is almost null.

They are still nice games though and this mechanism makes the game more immersive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

I went ahead and spent the $15 bucks for the season pass. The quicktime events are a bit of a chore at times, but the story seems solid and it's a "your choices matter" sort of thing. They even go out of the way to flash stuff like "Lord Forrester will remember that" at the top of the screen when you make a choice.

I just got the game on PC and I'm really enjoying it, but yeah, the choices are pretty much entire illusion. The only thing it really affects is a few different conversation options, and at the end of each episode you're presented with a screen that compares your choices with those of others who have played ("You and 17% of other people were tremendous dicks to the farmhand!" or whatever).

Regardless I'm enjoying it, but I'm also a ASoIaF nerd, so I lap this poo poo up.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Hey kutku would you consider adding some kind of "there are no good simcity or civ clones on Android" note to your OP? If so, make sure you put lots of obnoxious smileys around it :v:

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So I started Hitman GO at the advice of the thread and I like it, but I blew one of my little "?" hints on the first loving level because it never said what they were. I thought it was a pending tutorial message or something. Do they regenerate or something? Should I restart? Does it matter?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the restart button on the options.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 17, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Finally, there's a Joe Danger game out for Android. It's a port of the made for iOS Joe Danger Touch that come out more than 2 years ago rather than the more recent Joe Danger Infinity that came out last year.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Hey kutku would you consider adding some kind of "there are no good simcity or civ clones on Android" note to your OP? If so, make sure you put lots of obnoxious smileys around it :v:

Done and done. I also updated and added a few more games here and there as well as links to droidgamers and pockettactics. If there's something I missed that you're dying to get in the OP, let me know.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Anything The Sims-like on Android? It doesn't have to be 'customize their nose hairs' or anything, just kind of a step back from the non-existent SimCity stuff and more of a focus on individual houses and people.

Also, can someone explain the thread title?

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

FredMSloniker posted:

Anything The Sims-like on Android? It doesn't have to be 'customize their nose hairs' or anything, just kind of a step back from the non-existent SimCity stuff and more of a focus on individual houses and people.

Again, nothing all that good or deep. The Kairosoft poo poo is aight, but Virtual Families might be cool if it actually worked. The Sims Freeplay is pretty lame for me but I know at least one goon is really into it.

The thread title is referring to Google Opinion Rewards and how the app most often sends you a survey if you've been near a business (like Home Depot) recently.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

FredMSloniker posted:

Well, there's The Sims™ FreePlay from EA...

FredMSloniker posted:

Google Opinion Rewards can use your location to send you surveys. Go into a Home Depot, get a survey about it, get free Play Store credits.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kheldarn posted:

Well, there's The Sims™ FreePlay from EA...

Alright hear me out on this one. The Sims Freeplay isn't 100% terrible. I've gotten pretty goddamned far in it without spending any real money at all. I spent $1.05 of google money on a LP (premium rare currency) roulette wheel because why not but I didn't need it and had one of the sticky fingered bastards at work not been loving with my phone wouldn't have been spent.

It's got an okay amount of customization at the start with more clothes and hair styles unlockable (right now at this moment in time there's a timed quest for sleepwear going on) and there's lots of things to build. It isn't great by any means but it's a good time waster and it's currently scratching the itch I have from not having any good idle/incremental games to play. There's numbers that get bigger and objective to do and at some point I will theoretically run out of content to do.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Out of nowhere Square Enix have put out a new, non-Final Fantasy RPG called Masters of the Masks on the Play Store. It looks like it plays like a turn-based Battleheart.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
If I have Google play credit from my Google opinion rewards surveys, can I spend that on in-app purchases?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Present posted:

If I have Google play credit from my Google opinion rewards surveys, can I spend that on in-app purchases?

I used Google Bucks to remove the ads in Angry Birds so yeah it's possible.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Present posted:

Yep. Only if you have enough from only your rewards balance, if that makes sense.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

mrkillboy posted:

Out of nowhere Square Enix have put out a new, non-Final Fantasy RPG called Masters of the Masks on the Play Store. It looks like it plays like a turn-based Battleheart.

It's actually a standard sort of ATB classic Final Fantasy system for the combat. The rest of it is ridiculously bonkers weird systems with masks and combining and spinning loving wheels and gold coins and silver coins and holy gently caress this could be my life now or it will be off my phone in 15 minutes who can tell?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

It really might be worthwhile to have the thread title explicitly say "NO CIV, SIM OR 4X GAMES" because drat, every page so far.

Related, has anyone managed to figure out how to play Startrader without wanting to chuck your phone out the window? Makes me long for Space Trader on my ancient palm pilot.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Ok what the gently caress. Today my AT&T LG G3 got the Lollipop update but I wasn't ready, so I didn't do anything.

I continued using my phone as normal for hours, then didn't use it for a couple hours where it was locked and in my pocket.

At some point I noticed light coming from my pocket. My phone apparently decided to upgrade itself without my input. Which also means it forced the new gmail and chrome I didn't want, and I lost all the active Chrome tabs I had open.

I'm just glad my phone was pretty charged, but again, what. the. gently caress.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
...can you use google play reward credit to buy hearthstone card packs?

Antezulu
Mar 18, 2015

flatluigi posted:

...can you use google play reward credit to buy hearthstone card packs?

You can. The reward credit is basically a gift card usable on Google Play in place of a credit card.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
I believe its even deposited into the same balance as regular Google Play credit so you can top it off with a gift card if you don't have enough. You can't combine payment options (like pay half by credit card) however.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

mrkillboy posted:

I believe its even deposited into the same balance as regular Google Play credit so you can top it off with a gift card if you don't have enough. You can't combine payment options (like pay half by credit card) however.

Yeah it combines with any Play gift cards. It's the same balance.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Hope I didn't mess up my chance for making money from surveys by putting my gender as "other: dragon" :vd:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Geektox posted:

Yeah it combines with any Play gift cards. It's the same balance.

You just can't buy devices with it.

edit: I think. I can't actually find anything to back up that claim now.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 18, 2015

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You just can't buy devices with it.

edit: I think. I can't actually find anything to back up that claim now.
Yeah, that's still the case.

quote:

Items ineligible for purchase using Gift Card include certain items in the “Devices” section of Google Play (e.g., phones, tablets and related device accessories)

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Famethrowa posted:

Hope I didn't mess up my chance for making money from surveys by putting my gender as "other: dragon" :vd:

Some maybe? Hearsay has it that women tend to get more surveys than men. And I doubt any corporations will target surveys at dragons.

But the main thing is to go places with your phone, and to be consistent (and honest) with your answers. Google WILL send surveys just to check if you are lying/a bot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mrkillboy posted:

I imagine the mobile game division of Square-Enix is a weird place to work.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

It's actually a standard sort of ATB classic Final Fantasy system for the combat. The rest of it is ridiculously bonkers weird systems with masks and combining and spinning loving wheels and gold coins and silver coins and holy gently caress this could be my life now or it will be off my phone in 15 minutes who can tell?

I uninstalled. The art style doesn't appeal to me and Record Keeper has characters I already care about with a similar battle system. This Mask game has really convoluted systems at play and has the lovely "wait an hour for this to complete or pay money" AND the tired enemy weakness wheel that all of these games do.

There are too many f2p games that are pretty good at this point. Its kinda crazy at this point to throw another one out there that doesn't really do anything new.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

vmdvr posted:

Some maybe? Hearsay has it that women tend to get more surveys than men. And I doubt any corporations will target surveys at dragons.

But the main thing is to go places with your phone, and to be consistent (and honest) with your answers. Google WILL send surveys just to check if you are lying/a bot.

end dragon discrimination today!

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
willus was right, though I don't regret yelling at him (it's a simple pleasure of mine)

I'm going to produce some words about Siralim, because I'm enjoying playing it thanks to it's aforementioned f2p nonsense (unbelievable grind for its eleven different kinds of resources, showering you with ever higher numbers and near-useless gewgaws) and also because it has decided to randomly(?) generate the most annoying encounter in the universe over and over presumably forever.

The packs I'm fighting are 5 large at this stage and commonly include the Siren Coercer, Lich Overseer and Pit Worm Gladiator. S/o to multiple Skeleton Marksmen. What this means: a field of enemies who reduce your only renewable means of doing damage to them by a flat 60% or move to the front of the turn order 20% of the time any action is taken by each of the 10 monsters in play. They're supported by a monster who provides at the start of battle to every friendly a buff that prevents all damage from a single source one time, and also (rarely) uses a resurrection spell instead of attacking. They're also supported by a monster who when killed raises other dead monsters on the field with 60% max hp (50% chance, rolled individually). This ability fires each time it is killed.

ok phew sorry for all the ()s also maybe Hearthstone is a good phone game but it's a sleepy baby game otherwise

Some Zero
Sep 23, 2009
As someone who just started playing g hearthstone I unlocked all the basics but can't build the decks because I'm missing missing cards. What packs should I be buying basic or the gnome packs?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Some Zero posted:

As someone who just started playing g hearthstone I unlocked all the basics but can't build the decks because I'm missing missing cards. What packs should I be buying basic or the gnome packs?

There are some good basic cards that are nice to pick up, but you have a higher chance of getting better cards with the gnome packs. I personally bought basic decks until I could fill out a few good decks then switched to gnomes when I started getting repeats.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Some Zero posted:

I wrote a beginner's guide on page 5. But go gvg first. The common and rare mech cards are very powerful and every class can do an aggressive low cost mech deck. Though mages do the deck best.

Honestly though you should be doing arena with the help of guides to make the best deck. Arena is the best way to earn cards for free and it gives you a place to play on level playing field.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I really want to love3 Hearthstone, but I encounter the same issue I always do in CCG games... I just feel like I'd rather be playing Magic. This comes pretty close but the one really sticky point to me is how combat works. If my opponent can ignore my creatures to attack me directly, why would I ever run 1/1 creatures without taunt? They're essentially useless past the first three turns or so.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
They're for early turns and certain cards that can combo together for buffs.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Apparently The Enchanted Cave 2 came out yesterday, a few months after its kickstarter.The original was a pretty great, if short, flash game rogue-lite, and the Kongregate demo of the second promises more of the same.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Funkmaster General posted:

I really want to love3 Hearthstone, but I encounter the same issue I always do in CCG games... I just feel like I'd rather be playing Magic. This comes pretty close but the one really sticky point to me is how combat works. If my opponent can ignore my creatures to attack me directly, why would I ever run 1/1 creatures without taunt? They're essentially useless past the first three turns or so.
There really aren't many (any?) 1/1s without an ability you can combo somehow. The game places a much heavier emphasis on combos then magic, mostly since unlike magic you are guaranteed mana. I've played games of magic where a single flyer has won me the game by just repeatedly bashing the opponent. That almost never happens in hearthstone, as most creatures only last a few turns.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Funkmaster General posted:

I was that way with Hearthstone at first, but now I really enjoy playing it on its own merits. On the surface it feels similar to MtG (MtG for Babbies or whatever people say), but once you start playing it more and more, it has its own intricacies and eccentricities that set it apart and make me really enjoy it for the separate game it is.
It also seriously helps once you've unlocked all the basic cards for a given hero (by getting them to level ten), opening a pack or two, and then start building your own decks. The very basic cards you get by default are generally pretty boring and can understandably make someone feel like this is a shallow game.

That, and there's no MtG analog to what Hearthstone offers as a gaming experience on PC and mobile. Sure, there's the Duels of the Planeswalkers games, but 2015 was railroady and awful, and MtG Online costs (a lot of) real money and is probably awful for players who are new to the game.

Edit: I feel like they've done some optimization of the Android port in the last update or two. It runs much smoother on my 2013 N7, the only real exception is during the initial loading screen.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 19, 2015

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Bye bye google fun bux/Amazon coins hello hearthstone cards

I guess that doesn't count as spending really money on it right?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Some Zero posted:

Buy a dozen or so packs, then buy naxx wings at 700g each. They are great value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Shwqa posted:

Here is a little beginner hearthstone guide I post on the iOS gaming thread.

Can you post links to those budget decks you mentioned? I'm googling for stuff like "mech Mage" and getting like 20 different decks with that description.