Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How much clothing do you have that you can have a month's laundry done at a time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Traveling Salesman posted:

Okay, so here is what you need to do.

Have a cleaning service come in and do an estimate on what they would charge to clean your place every week. You said that the place is small, it wouldn't cost much. Have everyone agree to pay for the service by splitting the cost between the people that live there. Which means if someone's boyfriend starts staying over regularly he'll have to chip in too. Always collect the money a week early or if possible pay for whole months at a time. Never front the bill for someone else. They either pay up or no cleaning service.

Next, Instacart is your friend. Everyone can shop on a shared list getting the items that they would like to have. The bill can be split up evenly or specific people can pay for specific things. It's just like shopping in person but it's online and no one can give you poo poo about not having time to do it. The goods are delivered to your door.

Also, look at TaskRabbit and hire someone to come in and clean up around the house before the first cleaning lady comes. Maids charge by the hour and Task Rabbit will let you get the job done quickly and cheaply. As for laundry, check out your local laundromat. Many offer a "wash and fold" service at a very attractive price. My SO and I get about a months worth of laundry washed and folded neatly for only $30 and the most we've ever paid is $60.

Most cleaning ladies do not clean up floor clutter or do your dishes or whatever, which is the bulk of lovely roommate mess. And the "boyfriend staying regularly" scenario is not enforceable. MY last roommate moved her boyfriend in, including his cat and all his furniture. He refused to pay any rent. He lived there for two and a half months. Believe me, I asked him to pay rent every two days.

People can also just go to the grocery store and buy poo poo like a normal person.

I pay maximum $10 a month to wash, dry and fold my own laundry because I am not Scrooge McDuck. Paying $60 a month to have someone do something that a chimp could do is such a bizarre extravagance that I am picturing you typing that while someone spoon-feeds you caviar in a Manhattan loft because there is no way you can be that divorced from reality that you think people who are forced to live with roommates can afford poo poo like that unless you're stupidly rich.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Many leases have clauses in them about non-residents only being allowed to spend the night a maximum number of times a month (usually less than 10) so only people on the lease are living there full time. If you have a roommate moving in their SO who is a deadbeat and doesn't contribute anything check your lease and threaten to kick roomie out for violating said lease.

This is, of course, a last resort assuming talking to them like an adult doesn't work and your lease has one of those clauses.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
The maid thing is something I could see you working out before sloppy people have moved in, e.g. "rent is $650 and includes maid service." I think it'd be a lot harder to convince nasty roommates to do it after the fact, at least if your roommates are as big of deadbeats as all of mine were.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006
You don't have to be rich and lazy to use those services. You just have to be not poor and busy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Psychobabble posted:

You don't have to be rich and lazy to use those services. You just have to be not poor and busy.

Everybody's busy. Nobody is SO busy they don't have 2 minutes to put a load of laundry in, and 5-10 minutes to hang it back up/put it in a drawer. Washing dishes takes all of 5 minutes, maybe 10 for a big meal, or less if you have a dishwasher. Paying someone to do those things for you is laziness. You could easily do them yourself if you'd stop flailing around stressing out about how busy you are. Just because you are terrible at managing your time doesn't make you not lazy.

Besides, you're missing the point of the thread. If you are living with roommates, the reason for this is usually because you can't afford to live alone. Adding another (completely unnecessary) 100+ a month on top of all the rest of your expenses is too much for many people who need roommates. Any reasonable person who had this extra amount of income to afford those services would get their own apartment and just do the cleaning/shopping/whatever themself.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 7, 2015

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I'm thinking this is all more location-based than y'all are realizing. It sure as hell can take more time to do laundry than that. You're assuming that ppl who live with roommates have laundry in unit, or even on-premises. Even if there is laundry in the building, that also means that you're sharing it with everyone in the building. Also, you hope it actually works. I currently share one washer and dryer with 10 people, and it's not reliable Ina any way. I pay for laundry service semi-regularly, and it costs $30/month. Many cities where this is regular (NYC for example), it can be even cheaper per lb.

Last I checked, some people that advertise for roommates also mention having a maid service. Usually comes out to $10/person every few months or so. And yeah, people can actually be that busy. I find time to clean, but not as often as I'd like. If I wanted to get a maid to come in once a month to tidy common areas, it'd be about $20-40/mo split between 2 people.

Yes, everyone should be able to just do these things, but this thread is a great example of how people don't do it. Not that I'd want to split maid service fees with slob roommates, but there are many people that do this in order to have a clean place, and can easily afford it. Living with roommates doesn't mean living near the poverty line.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

yoyomama posted:

I'm thinking this is all more location-based than y'all are realizing. It sure as hell can take more time to do laundry than that. You're assuming that ppl who live with roommates have laundry in unit, or even on-premises. Even if there is laundry in the building, that also means that you're sharing it with everyone in the building. Also, you hope it actually works. I currently share one washer and dryer with 10 people, and it's not reliable Ina any way. I pay for laundry service semi-regularly, and it costs $30/month. Many cities where this is regular (NYC for example), it can be even cheaper per lb.

Last I checked, some people that advertise for roommates also mention having a maid service. Usually comes out to $10/person every few months or so. And yeah, people can actually be that busy. I find time to clean, but not as often as I'd like. If I wanted to get a maid to come in once a month to tidy common areas, it'd be about $20-40/mo split between 2 people.

Yes, everyone should be able to just do these things, but this thread is a great example of how people don't do it. Not that I'd want to split maid service fees with slob roommates, but there are many people that do this in order to have a clean place, and can easily afford it. Living with roommates doesn't mean living near the poverty line.

Very much this, doing laundry takes at least an hour for people like me, who don't have in-unit laundry and have to go to a laundromat. For a lot of young people in cities, in-unit laundry is definitely a luxury.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I tend to room with family or in a long term relationship, mostly to avoid these kinds of situations, but even then you get to deal with it. After my smoking, drunken mom had a massive flea infestation that I had to help her take care of, I decided no amount of saving was worth this nasty poo poo and chose a roommate.

This lady seemed aloof and weird, but I was sold after looking at her house. Her house was super clean, as in Martha Stewart clean, which was a delight after enduring mom's animal house so I moved in in a heartbeat. Turns out she was loving nuts.

First off, she wouldn't let me park in her 2 car garage and made me park out in the street. Quiet suburban neighborhood, no big deal. Then the HOA (upper-middle class neighborhood) got on my rear end for parking out in the street, so I had to carefully tuck my car in a corner of the driveway that would allow Her Highness passage from the garage, through the driveway's path, and out the house every time I came in. Still couldn't use the garage.

Then inside, I did everything in my power to keep her Martha Stewart thing going because honestly, better to have an obsessively neat roommate than an obsessively dirty one and it's not that hard to clean up after myself. So every single dish was hand-washed and put away, with nothing left in the sink by me. Well, she left her dishes in the sink and got exclusive dishwasher privileges. Nice. She then rearranged what little cookwear I had so that it was tucked away in a single shelf, on a single drawer, out of a huge kitchen about as big as a living room because she didn't want me putting my clean utensils in any of the actual silverware drawers. Meanwhile she'd have shelves with only 2 pans of her own in them each, arranged just-so.

She controlled the thermostat, no exceptions, and had all of the lights off in the house by 8PM. I'd have to sneak out of my room and tiptoe to the kitchen, eating a sandwich without toasting it in an attempt to make no noise at all, like a teenager sneaking home from a party at loving 9 o clock. By some miracle she allowed me to have my boyfriend over once, so he came in. Like a good roommate, I warned her in advance. The very same night she brought over a guy. :stare: That's cool, I don't know why you strategically scheduled a guy on the same night but okay.

Unsurprisingly this lady controlled everything going on in her house via passive-aggressive post-it notes. It got so bad that I would literally huddle in my room and dart out of the house like an animal trying to make an escape just to avoid touching anything that would make her mad. We never fought or anything and I made up a sob story about rent being too high to bail out of there. I only lasted like 2 months.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

cash crab posted:

I pay maximum $10 a month to wash, dry and fold my own laundry because I am not Scrooge McDuck.

Hahaha, what the gently caress is this. The closest laundromat charges five bucks to use their washing machine, which will handle maybe a week's worth of clothes. That doesn't account for the dryer use, or the fact that you have to split up your whites, and darks and poo poo. If you can get your clothes washed for under $10 a month you either are lucky enough to have a washer/dryer you don't have to pay for, or you're a loving hobo scrubbing your poo poo in a creek.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

Hahaha, what the gently caress is this. The closest laundromat charges five bucks to use their washing machine, which will handle maybe a week's worth of clothes. That doesn't account for the dryer use, or the fact that you have to split up your whites, and darks and poo poo. If you can get your clothes washed for under $10 a month you either are lucky enough to have a washer/dryer you don't have to pay for, or you're a loving hobo scrubbing your poo poo in a creek.

Or all your clothes are the same black Tshirt/black undies/blue jeans combo.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
You guys are fixating on the laundry part, which is probably the least ridiculous part of that list of unnecessary services. Yeah paying someone to wash and fold your laundry instead of hanging out in a laundromat all day would be preferable, but hiring a maid service and getting groceries delivered is just over the top and nobody needs that. If I were asked as a roommate to chip into that I wouldn't, because it's trivial to keep your living space clean if you actually try, and I have a car and can just go get my own groceries. I would expect a maid-serviced apartment to be even dirtier on average than one where you just do it yourself, because it encourages the attitude of "gently caress it, the maid will get that". I still argue that if you can afford those things your money would be much better spent going toward rent in a different apartment, the goal being to not need to live with roommates.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
So $10/mo would make the difference to living with roommates and living by myself? And when I've had groceries delivered (because sometimes people get sick or injured and can't go on public transportation to get to the grocery store), it cost about $10 extra for the delivery fee. So assuming you get a maid once a month and groceries once a week, that's $50/month for these services. Saving that money is a better idea, but it don't think it's as outrageous as you're explaining it to be. $50 more a month would not let me be able to afford my own place.

And for the record, maid services usually only clean common areas, and the places tend to be kept clean because making it messy costs more money. The more mess, the more per hour you pay. Plus it's embarrassing as gently caress to have someone clean up a large mess after you, as opposed to having them vacuum and wipe things down. I agree it's not necessary for a lot of people, but there's nothing so strange about using services like these when you live with roommates. Maybe you're thinking of "living on student loans/barely making money" roommates instead of "young working professionals in a major city" roommates.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Murphy Brownback posted:

... I still argue that if you can afford those things your money would be much better spent going toward rent in a different apartment, the goal being to not need to live with roommates.

Not gonna argue it's a wise use of money, but it's also not always jaw-droppingly irresponsible folly either. Some people live with roommates not because they can't afford to live alone, but to have more disposable income, or other reasons. After I graduated from college I rented a spare room from a friend until I'd saved up enough to buy a townhouse without exhausting my emergency funds.

Again, I agree it's dumb, but in my case, just for example, it wouldn't have dramatically changed the timeline for my plans.

Edit: as a sidenote, there are two-bedroom apartments in my area with rent higher than my mortgage payment. I feel like that says something about the area, but I'm not sure what.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 7, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Edit: as a sidenote, there are two-bedroom apartments in my area with rent higher than my mortgage payment. I feel like that says something about the area, but I'm not sure what.

I got so fed up with roommates that I signed a 2 bedroom apartment lease for $500/mo (which I got a deal on, in a lovely building) by myself, and was barely able to make ends meet for a while as a result. Years later, I bought the house I now live in, whose payments (inflated for having a brand new energy efficient furnace and air conditioner installed) came out to about $350/mo. Blows my mind how ridiculously inflated rental costs are in Indianapolis.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Murphy Brownback posted:

You guys are fixating on the laundry part, which is probably the least ridiculous part of that list of unnecessary services. Yeah paying someone to wash and fold your laundry instead of hanging out in a laundromat all day would be preferable, but hiring a maid service and getting groceries delivered is just over the top and nobody needs that. If I were asked as a roommate to chip into that I wouldn't, because it's trivial to keep your living space clean if you actually try, and I have a car and can just go get my own groceries.

Your time is obviously worth less than the cost of these services, and thus they have no value to you. We get it. Please stop threadshitting about how all other posters' time must be worth the same as or less than your time. Multiple people have already told you that the opposite is true and that these services have value to them.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yeah, honestly that is really the key issue here, how much is your time worth? If you're barely scraping by, making minimum wage, your time is worth poo poo-all, and it's more cost-effective to spend your own time on bullshit and saving money. If you have a decent-enough salary, it makes more fiscal sense to pay someone else to do busywork.

The easiest, most basic way to figure this out is to take your average weekly salary, and divide that by 168 (The number of hours in a week.) That's a very simplified simalcrum of how much your time is worth. So if you pull in $400/wk, your time is worth $2.38~ an hour. If it takes you two and a half hours a week to go grocery shopping, plus $5 in gas, then it actually makes fiscal sense to pay someone $10 to do your grocery shopping for you. (It probably doesn't take you two and a half hours a week to go grocery shopping, but still.)

There are other considerations, and you have to make it fit within your budget, but the basic theory is that you have to value your time appropriately. If you don't, you're basically wasting it. Put on your Rod Roddy glasses, and take a peek at the world through the lenses of economics, it'll blow your mind. :lsd:

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Very true, and even more than that, it's a quality of life issue. Where I live, not being able to afford your own place also means not being able to afford a car (not always, but still). That means doing things like getting groceries can take a long time. For all my years of renting, it's just this year that I live near a grocery store. Otherwise, I had to make multiple trips because I had to carry only the amount of groceries I could carry and walk home with. In the summer I couldn't even buy milk often because it would spoil from the heat + long walk. Same thing for laundry if I didn't have it on site. I don't get paid much, but my time is worth more than doing poo poo like that all the time.

I'm also very jealous of that $500/mo rent. I'd have to pay almost twice that to get a 2 bd, and that's per room.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Captain Bravo posted:

Closest one to me charges $2.50 for machines that can fit upwards to two weeks worth of laundry. Drying is maybe $1.75 worth of quarters? :shrug:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Sorry to sidetrack, but: I'm renting an apartment in Madrid right now, and there's a tiny little washer/dryer unit that's literally smaller than my oven back home in Canada by a significant margin -- such a unit could be put in basically anywhere. Why are these not available in North America, and why is it so rare to have a rental apartment with in-suite laundry?

Most rental units I've seen have an equivalent sized dishwasher, and gently caress knows I'd rather wash dishes by hand than go to a pay laundry.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Not gonna argue it's a wise use of money, but it's also not always jaw-droppingly irresponsible folly either. Some people live with roommates not because they can't afford to live alone, but to have more disposable income, or other reasons. After I graduated from college I rented a spare room from a friend until I'd saved up enough to buy a townhouse without exhausting my emergency funds.

Again, I agree it's dumb, but in my case, just for example, it wouldn't have dramatically changed the timeline for my plans.

Lots of poor people with poo poo credit or a college town, usually.

Reynold posted:

I got so fed up with roommates that I signed a 2 bedroom apartment lease for $500/mo (which I got a deal on, in a lovely building) by myself, and was barely able to make ends meet for a while as a result. Years later, I bought the house I now live in, whose payments (inflated for having a brand new energy efficient furnace and air conditioner installed) came out to about $350/mo. Blows my mind how ridiculously inflated rental costs are in Indianapolis.

:lol: Indianapolis doesn't have inflated rent, you just live in poorsville USA right now apparently. A 350 / mo mortgage means the whole place is worth under 100k which is not happening anywhere in the US worth living.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

loving... Goons. :bang:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

tsa posted:

Lots of poor people with poo poo credit or a college town, usually.

According to Google, the median rent in my area for a single bedroom apartment is $2,190/mo. For a studio it's 1,675, and 3,110 for a two bedroom. I have no idea how this compares to other towns. I don't even know why I felt compelled to look this up.

Edit: median income is over 100k according to the same site.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 8, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I guess we're neighbors bro

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Never loving ever get a roommate off of Craig's list. They bankrupted me more times than I can count and I literally had to move into my n parents basement . also. I would hide toilet paper and soda because nobody else would buy it. I would rather drink 12 hot root beers than 3 cold ones. And now that I have my own house, I can drop my pants and walk around makes when I feel like it. :)

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
I've had so many lovely roommates, but my last one was absolutely wonderful. That said, she wasn't a random person offa Craigslist, so I guess the lesson is live with friends of friends instead of strangers.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I had a roommate who was a hoarder and it was awful living with him. We needed someone to fill the fourth bedroom in our four-bedroom apartment after one of our good friends decided to transfer to another school in a different state. Because we were all spineless nerds we put off finding someone until it was too late to ask our friends, so we wound up having to post a flyer at our school's notice board. We got a couple calls so my roommates invited some potential roommates to hang out and get to see who would be a good fit. Apparently, they were so scared of not finding anyone, that they just offered the room to the first person who arrived: a guy we all kinda-sorta knew from college named Hank. Upon arriving, he proceeded to ignore all of the food my roommates set out and went straight to our fridge where he started eating our cold cuts and cold pizza. When my roommates said "Hey dude, that's not cool," he just rolled his eyes and grabbed a bottle of vodka from our pantry, uncapped it, and just started drinking. He got so drunk that he ended up puking all over our kitchen and refused to clean it up. I didn't find any of this out until I got back from my internship in another city and he had already signed the lease.

After he moved in it was awful. Trash piled up all over the place, dirty dishes full of mold hidden in places that were hard to reach, mice started showing up attracted to the food in all of the pizza boxes he kept in his room, the list goes on. The smell was so bad that I would just lock myself in my room and stuff towels under the door to try and get away from it. Hank was a big dude with anger issues who was used to throwing his weight around so whenever I tried to clean he would get physically confrontational and would got into my room to throw some of my stuff out the window. So I just stopped trying. I hung out and slept over at friends places as much as I could until I could move out.

Thankfully I live with my clean-freak girlfriend now.

ihatechesspieces
Jan 2, 2013

I just got out of a strange roommate situation a couple of months ago. Last Spring (2014) I was essentially homeless and was desperately looking for a place to live. I was unemployed but made money by playing in a cover band--barely enough to live on, mind you. An acquaintance of mine had a room opening up in his house at the beginning of June, so I hopped on it. It was an older house and was a little rough around the edges as far as overall condition, not to mention being right on a four lane road. However it was relatively close to campus and cheap, so I took it. Things were going okay the first few months, but I began to realize that neither of my roommates had an interest in sharing cleaning duties (granted, one of my two roommates pretty much lived at his girlfriend's house and used his room at my house as a storage unit basically). The kitchen would literally just get dirtier and dirtier until I finally just broke down and cleaned it. Several bands rehearsed in my living room, so for nearly the entire duration of my stay there were just musical instruments strewn about cluttering the room. There was no living room furniture in there except for a small loveseat and an entertainment center that was in the corner covered with a sheet. The band rehearsals wouldn't bother me a ton, but it sometimes felt awkward walking through the living room to get to the kitchen to get a glass of water while a band was playing or discussing poo poo. There were also several parties thrown at my house--most with my prior knowledge, but there was one time when my roommate (who actually LIVED at the house, unlike my other one I described earlier) decided to just randomly have a huge party over. Meanwhile, I was in my room with a headache just trying to relax. Then 30 minutes later I hear a full fledged party going on right outside my door. There must've been 50 people in the house and way more outside. I finally just said gently caress it and went to stay the night at a friends house. Nobody had any interest in dealing with trash and recycling either. Basically, if I didn't do it, then it just wouldn't get done.
However, none of this is even the worst part. Come October or November, one of my roommates proposes that one of his friends who had no place to go move in for 'just a bit'. Being in the same temporary homeless state myself, I agreed to this. However, this guy ended up moving his entire bedroom suite into our living room, essentially making our living room someone's bedroom and staying until late April, a month until our lease was up. It was super awkward having to walk through someone's 'bedroom' to get to the kitchen to do anything. This guy would also play really lovely trap music over his speakers out there and would filter in clear-as-day into my room. He'd have these random rear end people over--mainly fratty types-- who he'd sell weed to and have them hang out right in the walkway where I'd have to step over them to get to the kitchen or anything. It got to be a real pain, especially times where he'd bring over a bunch of people really late and would talk into the night while I'd be trying to get some sleep for class the next day literally 10-15 feet from where my room and bed was. He didn't contribute to cleaning either. At least he paid rent I guess. Needless to say I was more than ready to get the gently caress out of there. To cap it all off, after living room dude left, both of my roommates left on trips during the last two weeks of our lease, leaving only me there to clean out and throw away a majority of the poo poo that was left over. Granted, my roommates cleaned out their respective rooms, but left stuff in the living room and the kitchen just sitting there. The house still wasn't all the way clean when the landlord looked it over, and she didn't give us our deposit back. I doubt we would've got it anyway because the house was infested with roaches and mice, too. But I finally ended up getting out of there in late May and moved into my own apartment- my first place living by myself. I absolutely love living alone.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I hired someone to come clean for 2 hours every other week and it's honestly the best money I've ever spent.

Also, most of these lovely roommates y'all had were mentally ill or drug addicts/alcoholics. If there's animal poo poo and mold piling up, there's something wrong with them. Then again I spent 4 years in group homes as a teenager and we got really good at dealing with people who wouldn't do chores.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
On behalf of the whole thread: please post your solutions. In detail.

Thanks in advance!

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

My husband and I had a huge house and it was only us, so when our DJ/computer programmer friend and his idiot girlfriend became homeless we decided to help them and give them a room at $300/mo and basically the whole first floor to use. Same basic story, they were horrible slobs, used all our stuff and ate our food, both refused to get real jobs and one refused to even try to get on welfare because it "took too long to apply." They never paid us anything for either month, bought food for the house maybe twice, and would invite strange druggie friends to hang out at our place. It turned out that they also thought it was a fun game to make my husband nervous; he's got severe anxiety and paranoia and even on meds it can incredibly bad. They constantly fought each other, something we hadn't seen before. Stuff including my husband's wallet and old paintball gun went missing but we didn't have proof to actually get anyone arrested. Pretty sure the girl was trying to steal my cat when she was moving out, she ended up crying over missing the cat soooo much.

We decided to kick them out when it became apparent that they weren't paying and were awful dickbags. In Arizona you have to give anyone 30 days' notice if they've lived there for 30+ days, even if they haven't paid and there's no contract, but you don't have to pay for their utilities or anything. All the law in our area required was that we let them inside the house and don't throw their stuff on the lawn. So I turned off the power to their room since it was on a different breaker, locked the box, disconnected the cable that ran to their room, and locked the garage so their Harley had to sit in the summer sun. They withstood it about a week, left their poo poo in the house for another two, and finally left.

So lock their expensive toys out in 118+ weather during monsoon season and take away all the fun things they love, that works great.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Splizwarf posted:

On behalf of the whole thread: please post your solutions. In detail.

Thanks in advance!

Mostly it was just a lot of shouting, poo poo talking, occasional hand-holding, and emotional battery. All in all it worked pretty well. Most kids turned up not knowing poo poo about how to clean, much less how to clean a commercial kitchen. They'd freak out when we expected them to help on a cleaning crew after their first meal. When someone would throw a tantrum about having to reach into dirty dishwater to clear food bits out of the drain (I guess mommy had always done it?), they'd usually end up deep cleaning some grease traps for the next few weeks. Frankly, it was pretty sadistic, but it mostly worked well. There was minimal supervision, no restrictions on profanity, and a general expectation that you'd be hard on people if they were loving around, so things got pretty out of hand, though generally not physical. After a few weeks, almost everyone was doing a decent job.

Getting people to take care of personal hygiene was a lot harder.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I'm amazed at the number of people I know that hadn't learned to clean and cook by like age 10. How the hell do people manage to have jobs and homes without knowing how to clean a sink? What kind of parents do these kids have that they never cleaned up their own crap?

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I was a teenage fuckup in New Zealand in the 90s and I had some spectacularly grotty flatmates.

I moved out at 17, having dropped out of high school, and the first place I moved into was perched on the shady side of a steep hillside and damp as gently caress, which isn't all that unusual for a student dive in Wellington. It was three levels, with entrance at the top, the living room/kitchen and a half bath (that never worked while I was there and basically didn't exist) in the middle, and four bedrooms and a bathroom in this weird twisting corridor on the bottom level. The stairs went straight down the two flights, so that if you rolled in drunk and survived the two flights of concrete stairs down to the door, you could still tumble all the way down from the front door and land by my room.
The bedrooms themselves were built into the hillside and the hall went around the outside, so all the bedroom windows opened onto the hallway, not outside.
I lived with three 19 year old skater dudes and one girlfriend, who I knew from the high school I dropped out of. One of them had a homemade tattoo gun and would lock himself in the only working bathroom for hours at a time. Once we all went on toilet paper strike and started using the phone books. They work better if you crumple them up and uncrumple them a few times. A couple of weeks before I moved out, tattoo gun guy puked all over the bathroom and nobody would clean it, and I had a total horror of vomit so I started walking 200 yards down to the public toilets at the top of the cable car. I washed in the bathrooms at the cinema I worked at.
Dishes didn't live in the cupboard most of the time. You grabbed the most recent dirty dish off the top of the pile and washed it before you used it. At one point we did all get it together to clean the place up, though. We threw out the bottom half of the dish pile because it loving stunk once we cracked the crust seals on it, and we discovered that the carpet was actually orange, not brown/grey. Nobody would ever put the butter in the fridge and the place always smelled like rancid butter. I couldn't eat butter for years after that and I still buy olive oil marg for my toast.

After the bathroom standoff at about six months in I moved into an old wooden house that had served as a fire station barracks at one point and had bamboo growing into the walls. It had stained glass windows and mirror finish clear panes so you couldn't see in. The backyard was a big gravel pit and it would later accumulate several dead cars, thanks to my drop kick boyfriend. My flatmates were really good friends of mine and that's where we all got into psychedelics in a big way, and then mdma and speed. The biggest bedroom was designed as a living room I guess and didn't have a door, just a curtain to separate it from the hallway.
Highlights from that place included burning a hole in the dining room floor by emptying an ashtray too soon into a trash bag, accidentally electrocuting a mouse that was sitting in the toaster at 4am, leaving a shopping cart full of road signs in Mike's bedroom as a prank, which turned into his laundry cart and setting an icecream container full of iso-soaked weed on fire in the back yard to see what would happen.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Scathach posted:

I'm amazed at the number of people I know that hadn't learned to clean and cook by like age 10. How the hell do people manage to have jobs and homes without knowing how to clean a sink? What kind of parents do these kids have that they never cleaned up their own crap?

In my experience, most of these people rent. They turn their apartment/house into a rancid shithole in less than a year, and move on to the next place when the lease is up. They are usually slightly more clean and responsible at work, because they know that they can be fired, but not always. Their parents enabled them to do these things by either not caring, or by coddling them and doing it themselves. The worst most self-centered, disgustingly filthy terrible drunken belligerent piece of poo poo human being I've ever known had a mother who thought he was an angel who could do no wrong, and would give him money or deliver fast food to our house for him whenever he called her for it.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

I had a roommate that handed me $50 dollars one time and asked me if I could pick up him up a bag of weed when he owed me $700 in late rent. Same guy also would call his mom for her to send him money then be annoyed when she would want to have a conversation with him.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!
My ex-roommate I just got rid of is 22, but definitely acted like a 16 year-old. Left dirty dishes in the sink, his room, the living, room, and the bathroom. Would never do said dishes.

As soon as we moved in to our new place from the apartment we were in, harassed us for hours on end to get a kitten, after my boyfriend and I already have 2 of our own. He then tells us he's gotten one without our ok, and he's bringing it home the next day. Didn't pay any of the deposit, and only paid us part of the rent every paycheck. Immediately acts like he owns the place.

Found out about month ago he had never had the kitten spayed, and that was the reason his kitten was peeing all over everything in his room, which he blamed on our two adult cats that had never done that before. Never cleaned his room too, so it always smelled like cat piss.

Would go into our room while we were both at work and steal stuff, then lie about it when he got caught. One time, he sent me a picture of our 3 cats in his windowsill while my bf and I were working. We get home, see things have been moved (we closed our door every day when we left so the kitten couldn't pee on our bed) and his reasoning was that he needed to get his kitten out, forgetting he had sent a picture of the 3 cats less than 20 minutes earlier. Then bitched at my boyfriend that I was lying, and that he hadn't gone in there at all.

Got fired at his job at a paint store because he put the wrong label on a paint can. Then got a job at a pot shop, and proceeded to never be home, and never take care of his cat. But was always complaining about being broke, yet would go out and do drugs and get drunk every night. Would spend his money on drugs, and then ask us for money for gas, car parts he wanted, or more drugs. Also eats all of our food when we are gone, then acts like he didn't do anything.

Our upstairs neighbors (we lived in a house split into a duplex) would get woken up by him coming home at 1-3 AM, roasting multiple bowls under their window, and just being loud and rude.

Our neighbors are some of the nicest people we have ever met, and he took full advantage of them.

When we first moved in, he brought his Celica that he blew the motor in, and let it sit in the driveway. Finally the neighbor offered to help him fix it, and then when he was about a half-day's worth of work left on it, he gave up on it and just bought another Celica instead, leaving the other one to sit in the driveway for a while longer. The neighbor was not very happy because he had spent about a month helping this kid learn how to fix his car, just for him to give up on it and basically scrap the whole project. Now that car is sitting in his dad's yard, rusting.

When we started moving our stuff out, he just decided to not come home at all anymore, and leave his cat with no one to feed her or make sure she's ok.

I am so glad I'm out of that house. A lot of the other things that were wrong about that house were the landlord's fault, but a lot of things about it was the roommate who thought we were his personal maids. We lived there for a year and he only cleaned the living room and the bathroom once.

Now we live with another roommate, but in a house he owns. Place is very clean, he's not a douche, doesn't mind our cats, and we have 2 huge rooms to ourselves for not a lot of money. It's wonderful!

Man that felt good to get out.

youareoffthehook fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 6, 2015

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

I read all these horror stories and it sure makes me feel better about my roommate situation.

He is actually fairly clean in our shared living spaces. No big bathroom messes and he'll usually at least fill up dirty pots he uses with water to soak instead of leaving it on the stove. His own room though is a disaster site though. We've been here 3 months and he has yet to clean up anything in his room. Old food wrappers, dirty clothes, dozens of beer cans, and whatever else he keeps around. If he leaves his door open the rancid smells begins to propagate throughout the entire apartment.

Last weekend my girlfriend and I went on a camping trip and when we came back the living room and kitchen were a mess. Tall boys scattered everywhere and dried food all over the kitchen floor. My girlfriend's mom had made her a bunch of Korean food that my roommates ate while shitfaced and spilled half of it on the kitchen floor and didn't bother to clean it. When I confronted him about it he said, "Well the way I see it, I took out the trash and did dishes so..." First, I did the dishes before we left camping so any dishes he washed were solely his, and while he did take out the trash he didn't put a bag back in the can and just threw garbage in it raw. He didn't seem to get that cleaning up part of your own mess doesn't excuse you from cleaning up the rest of it and that doing normal household chores everyone shares doesn't give you a free pass to trash things.

I think he's stuck in the college mindset still and is a total mama's boy. He has a $60k/year job with no student debt but his mom stills flies down from Alaska to visit and sends him care packages. He is trying to convince his parents to buy a house to Seattle so he can live with them expense free.

He also completely broke the window blinds in his room within a week of us living here. He put his bed against the window and has his pillows jammed into the blind so they are all bent and pieces have fallen off.

Far from the worst roommate, but I'll still be happy when the lease ends in January.

Here's a story I shared somewhere else last year about my previous roommates, my brother and his girlfriend:

My brother's girlfriend is insanely obese and when she's on her period she stinks up the whole loving house. Like from the moment she leaves their room there is an absolutely revolting stench that permeates through the whole upper level of the apartment. She walks to the bathroom and from there the smell just continuously builds up and festers; you can smell it wafting through the cracks in the door and that's with the bathroom fan on mind you. One of the biggest problems is that she seemingly only showers once every three days or so even when on her period and doesn't change clothes from when she was sleeping. Once she's finished with the bathroom you can see the remnants of what she did on the toilet seat. Because she's like 400 pounds she can't fit properly on the toilet seat she often pops the cover off of it's hinges and her fat rolls over the edge of the seat. This results in a rather thick film of vaginal fluids, blood, stubbly pubic hairs and who knows what else (it's like black specks) to literally cake on and crust over the front of the seat. She doesn't bother cleaning it up either. I will never ever sit down on the seat without giving it a very thorough cleaning because of that, and even then I prefer to hover over it instead. From there she heads downstairs and proceeds to sit on the couch, legs spread in a position to effectively spread her putrid smell throughout the entire living room and kitchen. The couch is leather and the spot where she sits usually smells absolutely horrifying, and anywhere else she sits needs about 10 minutes to fumigate properly. When she is on her period there is no escaping the smell, and when she's not on her period the smell is still about half as bad.

I wish I was making this up. If I was a weaker man I would have vomited my intestines up several times over by now.

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 6, 2015

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
:suspense:

Thread got terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Yeah never thought a thread without pictures could make me gag.

• Locked thread