Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Cheers all.

Issue 28: Probably badly mispronouncing "Gymnopédie"

Issue 25 may now have ads because it got flagged up for using 30 seconds of music from a decades-old children's TV show for a silly joke. Super!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Issue 29: Not Daleks

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
This thread doesn't seem to get many comments which is a real shame, it's really entertaining.

Suffice to say I enjoy every video posted, it's interesting to see these games and hear their really good soundtracks.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
A lot of the cooler threads are also the most silent ones for some reason.

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013
Because when people post in them they become less cool :v:. Seconding that this thread is really nice, I've never seen anything from the C64 so getting to see all these demos is pretty interesting. That herobot game in particular looked like it'd be neat to see a full play through of, if not to actually play it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
That first game looks like the seed of the idea that became Blast Corps.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Issue 30: WELCOME TO THE PUMP STATION

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Oh man, I never knew Bounder got a sequel. I think the first one might have been the first game where I was completely at a loss for how the Hell they got the 64 to do this thing that it was clearly doing.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Issue 31: Press fire to unleash pumpkin

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Iirc, in PC version of Arnie 2 you could change weapons by pressing Enter key.

Subterranea was a clone of another game, I think. Sanxion, maybe? There was a lot of those scrolling shooters with waves of five differently colored enemies - Atrax, Warflame, Zytron...

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.
God, I remember having a visceral hatred for Cauldron 2 back in the day. I'd played plenty of bad games, but that one had that something special where even remembering it existed made me vaguely annoyed. Nice to know I wasn't completely irrational.

Really enjoying this LP, so much of my early gaming was from CF covertapes (I preferred it to ZZap).

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Catellite posted:

God, I remember having a visceral hatred for Cauldron 2 back in the day. I'd played plenty of bad games, but that one had that something special where even remembering it existed made me vaguely annoyed. Nice to know I wasn't completely irrational.
:mad::hf::mad:

I'm not sure I ever got very far in the first Cauldron, but Cauldron 2 was ridiculous. Exactly as frustrating as shown. Thanks a lot.

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Watching Monster Mash, all I could think of was the theme for Trogdor.
I mean, there was some major burninating going on there.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Hirayuki posted:

:mad::hf::mad:

I'm not sure I ever got very far in the first Cauldron, but Cauldron 2 was ridiculous. Exactly as frustrating as shown. Thanks a lot.

The music is nice though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQOR3k72S34

Cauldron 1 was a lot of fun as long as you stayed away from the platforming sections and just buzzed around killing bats. That witches laugh from 2 is ingrained in my memory though.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 3, 2016

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Issue 32: Starring V.I.N.CENT

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Issue 33 is the second winner of the coveted "too boring to talk about" award, featuring

Snack Man: A Pac-man clone
ATA: A Tetris clone
Coyra part 2
and Water Polo. No, really.

Meanwhile:

Issue 34: Banana Bullets

Prenton fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 2, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Issue 33, do you mean?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Oops. Yes, yes I do.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

What were those little smiling pieces of...bread? in Shellshock?

Or were they supposed to be skulls?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I'd assumed they were skulls, and that stepping on them would kill me. But, after further testing, it turns out they do nothing at all. So: dunno?

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Prenton posted:

I'd assumed they were skulls, and that stepping on them would kill me. But, after further testing, it turns out they do nothing at all. So: dunno?

They are indeed most likely skulls, as you can see something quite similar with Stryker's Run on the BBC Micro. It seemed to be one of the low pixel ways to draw skulls. :haw:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Aw, they're cute! :3:

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

Arac got an odd pseudo-sequel called Heatseeker, where you controlled a basketball attached to a mannequin leg. It had a similar 'interesting idea, really clumsy execution' feel , IIRC, but with even less direction than Arac.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Catellite posted:

odd pseudo-sequel called Heatseeker

What the

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Prenton posted:

What the

Sounds to me like a developer got a set of encyclopedias as a present, got really drunk, wrote down his favorite words, and then decided to make a game story out of them. Seems like as good an explanation as any.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

TheMcD posted:

Sounds to me like a developer got a set of encyclopedias as a present, got really drunk, wrote down his favorite words, and then decided to make a game story out of them. Seems like as good an explanation as any.

Honestly, it seemed like half the games at the time had plots like "You are the last Bioroid of the enslaved planet Iacon. Gather the long-lost Soulfire Shards to defeat the armies of the time-travelling warlord Kranix".

Then you load it up and it's Pacman.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Catellite posted:

Honestly, it seemed like half the games at the time had plots like "You are the last Bioroid of the enslaved planet Iacon. Gather the long-lost Soulfire Shards to defeat the armies of the time-travelling warlord Kranix".

Then you load it up and it's Pacman.

P. much. Gotta have a story, or it won't sell! See also The Story Of The Compulsive Collector Eggman and His Similarly Eggy Friends (Dizzy), The Diamond Miner Who Also Has Other Collectathon Adventures (Boulderdash), The Monster-Soap Making Monster (Bonecruncher), and The Surrealist Tale Of Two Shields Captured By A Douchey Logic Gate (XOR)

Oh, and Magic Mushrooms. Let us never forget Magic Mushrooms, and the protagonist's suspicious resemblance to Fat Freddy of the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Go play DOOM everyone

Issue 35: Still better than the original Gameboy version

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

RENT JOKE

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I'm glad that this is still alive.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Breakthrough apes Armalyte's graphics so much it hurts.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Oh no Britain appears to have caught fire. Meanwhile:

Issue 37: The Big One

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I vaguely remember playing a preview (or a bizzare cracked version of it) of Mayhem that started at the "happy" side of the level.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It's pretty strange seeing the tail end of the C64. Shameless cash-ins right next to Mayhem, which was at least technically quite sophisticated.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

Issue 38: Patrick Stewart's Exploding Head

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
For some reason Freddy Hardest reminded me of the Bucky O'Hare game on the NES. Only, y'know, shittier.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Dinamic's games were really bad, but looked great on screenshots.

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

While it's plainly not great unless you're really into pixel-perfect jumps, I have a soft spot for Freddy Hardest. It was one of my first c64 games, the first games I ever finished and one of the first games I'd seen where progress had meaning. The second half of the game abandons platforming for running around a maze finding passcodes or something to put in computers to steal a ship, and it's somewhat better than the first part, but not massively. Still, good times.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva
I'm kind of pretty late in finding this, but it's surprising how many games I remember from my childhood that show up on these tapes, although all of our games were disk-based and virtually everything was copied from other people. A decent chunk also came with trainers and cheats as a result of being cracked.

Battleships was one of my favorite games back in the day, I spent entirely too much time on that, and I will always instantly recognize the Cosmic Causeway music.

Cauldron 2 is one of the most frustrating games I've ever played because of the controls, even with a trainer it's pretty much impossible and it's far too easy to get stuck at the bottom of the castle with no real way out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
I want to Ireland again and drank even more Guinness. Meanwhile:

Issue 39: Acme Diamond Co.

• Locked thread