Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The shoulders remind me of the linkage armor from AT1 and AT3.

Hope they cover just what Delta did to piss off the authority soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Auraboks
Mar 24, 2013

...huh?
This loving game. I wanted to like it, I really did, but it just kept doing things wrong! The lack of pants is just the beginning. Qoga might have had me slam my head against the wall a few times because of all the :japan:, but Nosurge made me hate myself for playing it.

At least the music is still awesome.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Argas posted:

The shoulders remind me of the linkage armor from AT1 and AT3.

Hope they cover just what Delta did to piss off the authority soon.

We'll be finding out quite soon what Delta did.

Auraboks posted:

This loving game. I wanted to like it, I really did, but it just kept doing things wrong! The lack of pants is just the beginning. Qoga might have had me slam my head against the wall a few times because of all the :japan:, but Nosurge made me hate myself for playing it.

At least the music is still awesome.

No I can totally agree this game isn't for everyone, though the LP nicely insulates you the viewer from it.

Tomorrow I'll probably have some Ar Tonelico trivia questions to entertain, with the Dive likely coming on Thursday because it's a bit long.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Icedude posted:

I always thought that the ship itself was the Soreil, but the spherical section where Felion and other residential districts and such are located was known as the Orei. Does kind of make sense that it's just another botched translation though.

The translation's accurate, in that on the map screen it names the ship 'Soreil' in Japanese, then 'PLACE: Orei' in English, and then they say 'Orei' in Japanese in the chart cutscene. But, if the ship is Soreil, then what does it mean to question whether Orei is moving?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Wow, so they got ahead of the game and just introduced localization errors into the game from the start. Clever girl.

Update's probably coming tomorrow, though I could always feel all super motivated and try to chug it out late today. I'm also working on the first in a series of Ar Tonelico trivia questions for you guys to ponder over, probably later today.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Do other cities and dungeons stay within PLACE: Orei?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Feinne, I can't let this stand. You didn't turn on the jp dub for the synthesizing part! They cut out the vocals for some reason which makes it even weirder.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Feinne, I can't let this stand. You didn't turn on the jp dub for the synthesizing part! They cut out the vocals for some reason which makes it even weirder.

I can get a version with vocals at some point, I actually didn't realize there were such things since I always play with the english voices.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I can do that for you, I played through the game with the JP dub. The most annoying thing is the heroines CONSTANTLY spout things during battle, im pretty sure thats not the case with the english dub. The field chat is also silent in the dubbed version.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Glad to see that Ar Nosurge is continuing the silly MMD shenanigans that I saw from Ciel Nosurge.

(The lack of lipsynch really bothers me...)

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 8, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I can do that for you, I played through the game with the JP dub. The most annoying thing is the heroines CONSTANTLY spout things during battle, im pretty sure thats not the case with the english dub. The field chat is also silent in the dubbed version.

They do say things in battle, but it didn't feel like it was particularly more than AT1 or 2. Also fun fact if you cause enough inclination shift while Diving (which is SUPER easy to do entirely on accident with the DLC) you actually change the stuff they say (at least in the English dub so I'd also assume in the original).

I'll probably get to show this off just as a matter of course because just doing all of Cass' dive content including her DLC one I'm pretty sure does put her past a threshold for different combat dialog.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I can record a battle with the jp voices on too at some point, its really goddamn annoying, especially when they shift towards certain inclinations as you just mentioned.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Oh no, everyone's very mouthy in battle in the US version too.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've uploaded the :japan:-dub version of the Synthesis song. It changes depending on the people involved / synthesis type performed of course.

Click here if you want

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Is BBQ Soda going to make its glorious return?
In related matters: Mir, you know the saying about stones and glass houses? I'd not criticize other people's (objctively abysmal) cooking skills if I were you. Just saying.

Some scraps of backstory information somewhere there. Cass and Delta have been on ice since presumably the planet busting event (maybe I should read that Ciel summary sometimes, but :effort:). I wonder if the empress is still the same one.
Betting Delta was kicked out of the force for a sudden attack of conscience, the only other reason in fiction is the loose cannon one and he doesn't seem the tipe.

Hold on

Feinne posted:

Nay:
Lives a double life as the Divine Empress of Felion and Nay the Gale.
:wtc:
SHE's the empress? (I probably should watch the videos when I can)(and read that Ciel summary)
Is that an open secret or an actual secret for friends only? And how the hell did she get the Prime Minister to not bitch at her for that?
The PM is a Vizier, isn't it? He's not objecting because he's plotting a coup, isn't he?

Even in just still images, Delta conveys perfectly what he's thinking during the synth.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
If I'm right, then Nay's JP VA is actually Maaya Uchida. She also voices Zero from Drakengard 3. That's pretty amazing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Its a super secret that she's the empress, it happened at the end of Ciel pretty much.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Its a super secret that she's the empress, it happened at the end of Ciel pretty much.

Yeah, as few as single digit people know that Nay's the Divine Empress now. I don't want to get too much more into it though because the Ciel Nosurge summary can very easily flow into accidental spoilers of stuff that happens later in Ar Nosurge.

Also we will just have to see whether the Prime Minister is shady or not.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 8, 2015

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

They're either competent but shady or incompetent.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Ah, figured this would happen at some point. This is a good game, even though the first few hours of it try very hard to convince you otherwise.

Feinne, if you want a rip of the script, the file format is the same as AT3's so that would be pretty easy to put together. Texture rips, too.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Ah, figured this would happen at some point. This is a good game, even though the first few hours of it try very hard to convince you otherwise.

Feinne, if you want a rip of the script, the file format is the same as AT3's so that would be pretty easy to put together. Texture rips, too.

Couldn't hurt, would let me show off things like talk topics I might miss and get some idea which syntheses are worth doing a certain thing with.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

Side note, I've been getting back in the mood to draw lately and what I'm working on right now is tangentially related:

I think I must have spent at least ten hours shading and adjusting that face.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 8, 2015

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Feinne posted:

Also we will just have to see whether the Prime Minister is shady or not.

Of course, I was just making a bad joke.
I'm actually interested in the Empress' design. Her regal dress clearly evokes Shurelia's and Tyria's Linkage, while as Nay her war on pants reminds me of Tyria's casual outfit.
All in all, Nay is designed as an Origin, which is a fairly interesting callback.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Feinne posted:

Video- “Synthesis, Food with Nay/Delta/Cass”

Watch

I expected no less.

But Cass had better get the gently caress developed out of her character soon because right now she's just sending all the tsundere signals and while I expected :japan:, I really don't want to have to deal with that particular lovely archetypal bullshit it has

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

booksnake posted:

I expected no less.

But Cass had better get the gently caress developed out of her character soon because right now she's just sending all the tsundere signals and while I expected :japan:, I really don't want to have to deal with that particular lovely archetypal bullshit it has

Cass is really pretty cool long term and this early part of the game is probably the worst time for her acting like that, though we'll also be getting some pretty good reasons why she's doing so soon.

And on a related topic that Lady Cloche is great and I added it to the OP Tarezax.

EDIT: New plan, the Dive is like 650 screens long so I'm going to split it into two updates. I'm actually going to try and get the front end done tonight instead of trivia, we'll see how that goes.

DOUBLE EDIT: I AM IN HELL AND THIS DIVE IS THE DEVIL. I'm still thinking I'll get this done tonight but it's kind of kicking my rear end right now.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 8, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Delta's outfit weirds me out. His front tunic-thing is connected to a collar around it neck. That has got to be uncomfortable as hell.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
A halter top.

Actually, I think that's his apron.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Okay, story time again. As I recall, they were about to head to some kind of weird Ra Cielan equivalent of a Dive Shop. Let’s go with that, yeah.

Thanks…
Bios Shop: Oh, hello Ms. Casty! It’s been a long time! How have you been? Have you changed your mind?
No, It’s not like that…I’ve been seeing more combat lately, and thought I could expand my mind…
Bios Shop: Well, you were something of an exception among the Genomis, fighting with only one Song Magic!
Ugh… Stop it, you’re embarrassing me!
Bios Shop: There are a lot of people who admire your chivalrous spirit, Ms. Casty.
Still, it never hurts to have a little variety at your disposal.
So it looks like you finally decided to get together with Mr. Delta!
I told you, it’s not like that! I haven’t given Delta my heart or my body yet!
Bios Shop: Well, everyone SAYS that. Don’t worry, you’re always welcome here!
Ugh… This is why I didn’t want to come here.
H-hey, Cass, sorry to interrupt, but…

I suppose I should bring this up, Delta has been recently suffering some memory problems. Just remember that.

You forgot THAT?
Bios Shop: Well, that’s understandable, Mr. Delta hasn’t been to a Bios shop in over a year, right?
No need to worry. I’m happy to explain!
I don’t like this…
Bios Shop: What are you talking about?! I’ve even got diagrams!
Now, let’s begin.
Users of Song Magic, like Ms. Casty, weave songs within their hearts.
Song Magic is made up of powerful emotions and thoughts, like happy or sad memories, strong beliefs, etc…
In other words, it’s the embodiment of “Thought Energy.”
But it’s not easy to find: It’s nearly impossible to recognize your true nature from your own memories.
That’s why you need another person’s help. You’d be showing them your heart, though, so it’s not easy to do.
You have to trust someone to weave Song Magic with them, like the two of you.
Mr. Delta will enter Ms. Casty’s heart, and poke around inside.
That will allow you to see events in the past more clearly, and help you find Thought Gems inside your heart.

This is all secondhand but their technology seems to work a bit differently than ours, though the core idea is the same.

Bios Shop: Unfortunately, it’s never simple. Your heart will resist, and Mr. Delta will be rejected many times.
Looking into someone’s heart means seeing their greatest secrets and embarrassments…
…And they’ll see everything else you might try and hide from them.
Naturally, nobody wants anyone to see these things, but they are where Thought Gems are found.
As your relationship deepens, your trust in one another will grow…
And together you can weave the most powerful Song Magic—the Song Magic hidden deep in your heart.

So, um, how to explain this? Normally people you know make cameo appearances in a Dive to represent parts of the world. I think somehow the way they do things those are sometimes part of the actual person and not you or something.

Bios Shop: By creating a Chain with the heart of a close friend, you can receive Song Magic from them.
I’ll explain more when the time comes.
That should cover everything. Did you understand all of it?
Yeah, I think I got it.
So you’re saying I need to go inside Cass’s heart and find the stuff that embarrasses her?
You didn’t understand it at all!
Wait, really…?
Argh… We’re doomed, aren’t we.

Feinne’s Notes:
Diving in its basic mechanics (collect Dive Points from fighting things, spend them to view scenes/within scenes, profit) is the same as it ever was. There are some new wrinkles, though. First off, doing certain things in a Dive will reward us with Thought Gems, the use of which I’ll discuss in a later update. Second, and pursuant to there being collectibles, we can actually revisit scenes as many times as we want as long as we’ve got the Dive Points to do it. Third, and as noted by the Bios Shop guy, most of these Dives will actually be the result of Chaining with a third party. This will add some interesting wrinkles to some later Dives. For now, though, our only accessible world is one of Casty’s own.

I guess that’s not more awkward than what we do? Anyway, the world inside a person is really weird.

Cass and that store clerk said something about doing it before… But I don’t think I’ve been here.
Huh!? Wait… Where’s Cass?
Heeeeey! Cass! Where’d you go!?

Strange… Am I here on my own right now…?
???: Don’t worry. Cass is here, too.
!? Who’s there!?

Especially when you realize how much seems to live there.

Huh!? Y-You! You’re the one who showed up in my dreams…
Correct.
My name is Prime. At least, that’s the name you’ve given me.
I did…? But, I’ve only seen you in my dreams, and I don’t remember naming anyone…
You named me with your subconscious. I don’t know if you know the reason, though…
That doesn’t matter right now. Where’s Cass? If you know, tell me!
You really have forgotten everything about Genometrics, haven’t you…? Alright, let me teach you.
Y-Yeah…
And actually, Cass IS here. Everything you see around you that isn’t me is “Cass”…
You’re inside her mind right now. In other words, you’ve been taken in by her…
I-I see… So it’s like she ate me?!
Well that’s a rather crude analogy, but if it helps you grasp the situation, I suppose it works.
There’s a variety of manifestations of her in this world… They represent her mental discord.
For example, there’s a cake in front of her. She’ll want to eat it, but not gain weight.
Inside a Soulscape, all those thoughts exist as Cass.
Wow… That’s a lot to take in.

You might think you shouldn’t trust some total idiot to poke around in your head until you get magic powers but it’s really just picking the right idiot, er, partner.

Yeah, you got me there. So, what should I do?
The reason you’re here is to create strong Song Magic with Cass, correct?
For that to happen, you need to move her heart and mind in a big way…
Song Magic is a by-product of thoughts and feelings… The stronger the emotion, the stronger the magic.
And, as I’m sure you know, people are weaker when they’re alone.
When one criticizes another, it can make them angry, but also make them think. Has that ever happened to you?
Yeah. Story of my life.
The effect is multiplied in the Soulscape… The next steps are how sincere you can be to her.
Yeah… I think I’m getting it now. So I’m supposed to make my way around this world, right?
…Yes, well… That’s a start. I’m afraid about what’s gonna happen, but that’s how you learn, I suppose…
Well, do your best, and try to develop her appropriately.
Cass has immense strength deep down… But the mental burdens she carries are blocking it.
You’re the only one who can free it.
R-Right…
Well then, hopefully we’ll meet again.
Huh? You’re not coming with me!?
I’ll always be in this world… If I think you need me, I’ll appear again.
Alright… Well, time to explore Cass’s mind!

Definitely said partner, don’t give me that look. Ahem. Thought gems, boy, that’s a weird thing right?

Hm? What’s this ball of light?
That’s a thought gem… In this world, it appears when emotions are strong.
Okay… So… What do I do with it?
You don’t have to do anything. It’s not like you can really use it in this world…
When you return to reality, however, you should receive a special “gift”. You can look forward to that.

Feinne’s Notes:
Let’s quickly look at the dive interface just for the sake of understanding.

Areas with a yellow star have events we can currently access. Stars with a red ‘x’ through them are currently locked either because we have not seen the pre-requisite scene or have an insufficient Dive Level. Dive Level goes up by completing Dives, and is just the game’s way of gating us out of certain things until certain points in the plot. Entering scenes costs Dive Points, and we can also be required to pay them within it. We can also see here the potential rewards we can get out of the scene, such as Thought Gems, Songs, and Event Stills. Generally Songs only come from the final scene of a Dive, and Event Stills are the reward for dropping big DP on some choice.

Dives are all about symbolism, so try and think about what the different things Delta ran into might mean.

It looks like Felion, but it’s… Slightly different?
Hmmm? What’s that sound?
???: Watch out!!
Wha-!?
Waaaaaaaaaaah!
What the hell? Something exploded!?
???: Hey, are you alright? Are you hurt at all?

That’s kind of where things get confusing really, because you’re running into bits and pieces of someone’s real thoughts.

…And you’re… DELTA!?
Hey, what the hell are you doing here!?
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Angry Cass]!
Umm, I came here with you! Remember?
Don’t worry… I’ll help you progress in the right way…
Watch out!!
Waaaaaaah!
What the…!? They’re…Sharl?
Obviously! We’re in the middle of a war, in case you haven’t noticed!
Sharl A: We’ve found the commander!
Sharl B: Let’s bring her back.
Crap… I came out in such a hurry that I don’t have any weapons… This is all your fault!
This really isn’t the time! We need to do something about them…

Feinne’s Notes:
Our first choice is actually pretty significant, because the free option will in fact kick us the gently caress out. This game’s Dive content is designed to require a bit more thought and will consequence you more than previous games for being a dumbass. If we had 3k to burn, that would get us an Event Still. I’ll pick that up later, it’s kind of pricy for now.

Getting in fights in someone else’s mind is rarely a good idea unless you’re absolutely sure they think you’re going to win.

What’re you doing! Hurry…!
Grah! This is a huge disgrace… But it’s my only option right now!!
FULL SPEED RETREAT!
Eeeeeek!
Whew… Looks like we managed to get away somehow. Thank goodness…
Don’t “Thank goodness” me! What the hell are you doing here!?
I came here with you to weave new Song Magic, so we went into this thing called Genometrics, and…
What’re you talking about!? I have no idea what you mean!
You’re in my way! You get it!? Please, just… Don’t bother me! I’m having a crisis here!
H-hey, wait… Just calm down. The reason I’m here at all is to…
Just hurry up and leave!
…!?
If you show yourself to me again, I’m NOT holding back!
H-Hey! Cass!
…What’s with her?

Still, he was either really lucky or better at this than most, because he didn’t even get kicked out in the first five minutes of his first Dive like someone I could mention.

How’s it going? Were you able to see Cass?
I was, but… It’s like she doesn’t even know she’s inside her own Genometrics…
Well, of course not. That’s just one “aspect” of her inside her mind.
Okay…
Now… I think it’s time you understood your role here.
Once you do, you’ll see the true version of Cass… And the problem in this world.
Once you solve that problem, you’ll get Song Magic for her! Good luck!
Man… It’s a lot of work to get new Song Magic, isn’t it?
If it was easy, everyone would be a master of Song Magic by now…
Heh, I guess so.

Anyway Delta pursued the Cass he had met earlier to a goofy secret base.

It doesn’t matter! We’re evacuating all of our forces. HURRY!
Huh? Is Cass back there or something…?

Anyway like I said, in a Dive people you know in real life tend to make cameos. In this case, the person they had just been sent to look for.

What!? You can’t be serious. We clearly don’t!
While we waste our time here, the Hollow Warrior on the hill could attack!
N-Now, now Cass… Why don’t you calm down a little?
I’m NOT mad!
…Hey, you…? You’re still here!? I thought I told you to never come back…
Commander… Is this strange man your husband? Or your lover?
Catty… That question didn’t make sense.
A-Anyway, we shouldn’t be fighting, right? I mean, just looking at the situation, it seems pretty grim.
I keep insisting I can help her, but she’s pretty stubborn, as you know. Sarly, can’t you convince her?
Sarly…? Who’s that? My name is Sergeant Catty… What a mistake to make.
Wha-!? You mean you two were serious…? Okay, in that case… Sergeant Catty, can you let me join?
Yes, that’s actually not a bad idea… We could use a little more brawn around here.
Wow, you sure don’t mince your words, do you?
Wait a sec, Catty! It all seems too good to be true. This guy must be a spy from the empire!
Ahahaha, no. That’s definitely not possible.
Shut up! Besides… Who the hell do you think you are!? Showing up out of nowhere saying you’ll train me?
T-Train…!? When did I say this!?
Anyway, you’re not welcome. I suggest you leave immediately. If you don’t, I’ll have to elevate our measures.

Feinne’s Notes:
Leaving is a rather obvious bad call here, tantamount to saying we want to leave the Soulscape.

Diving is definitely not for people who give up easily.

…I see. In that case, I’ll make you regret ignoring my warnings.
Catty… Throw this man into the brig!
Wha-!? B-But…
You can’t obey my orders!? Then perhaps you should join him…
O-Okay, I will… You leave me no choice.
Sorry, don’t hold this against me.
H-hey! You can’t be serious…

Also not for people who can’t handle a little bit of being hurled into some prison in someone’s head.

…You’re not leaving me here, are you!?

Heeeey! Cass! Catty!
…PRIME!
… * Sigh * She said she’d show up if I needed her… And I need her now. Hah, where is she!?
Man… Does this mean I can’t wake up from this dream, either…?
In complete limbo…
Oh? Someone’s coming… Is that you Prime? Or Catty…?

Usually you should just trust that events are moving forward and you needed to be there.

Sharloon: Quiet! I’m Sharloon from the Dere Empire. I’m here to rescue you.
System Message: Obtained the thought gem [Tsun Kingdom Dere Empire]!
The Dere Empire…? What a weird name. Doesn’t matter, you saved me. You’re a pretty good lock-pick.
Sharloon: No, actually… I just turned the knob. I would say this utter lack of security shows a lack of confidence.
Is that really how this works…?
Sharloon: Not right now. You need to come with me… In order to save this world, we need your power.
H-hey! I still have no idea what’s going on here… Could you PLEASE at least explain the basics?
Sharloon: I will, but first we have to escape. I’ll explain everything outside.

As long as part of you actually wants them there, things usually sort themselves out.

Sharloon: Right now, there’s a war going on between two countries… The Tsun Kingdom and the Dere Empire.
You were just captured by the Tsun Kingdom. We, on the other hand, live in the Dere Empire.
The two countries have always been at odds, but since the Hollow Warrior appeared… It’s escalated.
Wait, the Hollow Warrior… Do you mean that huge version of me? That thing moves!?
Sharloon: I suspect it doesn’t move, but…
The Tsun Kingdom believes that Hollow Warrior is our empire’s weapon of mass destruction, resulting in war…
But you guys didn’t put it there, right? I mean, in reality… Why not just tell them that?
Sharloon: We’ve tried to open diplomatic negotiations time and time again, but the Tsun Kingdom won’t listen.
I don’t think we can resolve this on our own… Which is where you come in. You’re the savior!
Man, finally time for someone who actually understands English. Yes, I’m here to help Cass’s Song Magic…
Sharloon: Huh…? I’m not sure what you mean, but I understand you wish to see our empress.
I will now grant you an audience to see her grace, Cassulu the Great. Please, come to our castle.
H-hey, what the heck’s going on here!?
Sharloon: We will be waiting!

Of course that doesn’t mean there won’t be a whole lot of running around.

Hehe, it seems the gears are finally turning.
H-hey, you ! What the hell took you so long!? Why didn’t you save me when I was captured?
I will save you if it is necessary… I didn’t this time, because it wasn’t.
But still… The more I hear about this world, the less I understand. Is Cass okay in the head…?
Of course she is! Everyone’s mind is like this on some level.
Besides, any actions that might seem incomprehensible right now have a deeper meaning. That’s Genometrics.
Right… So, I guess that’s that, then.
I’ve told you, you need to immerse yourself in this world to understand what Cass really wants to say.
Although the path seems like a long and treacherous one… I believe in you.

Delta took up the offer to drop in on the Dere Empire. That is such a terrible name, it hurts to say it.

Sharloon: We’ve been expecting you, Delta.
Sharluneli: Expecting you! Her Grace, Cassulu the Great awaits!
R-Right…
???: Delta! You finally came for me!!

It was, of course, another Cass.

Hehehe, you’re embarrassing me. When’d you start calling me by the adorable nickname “Cass”? Like we’re lovers…
Huuuuuuh? What the heck are you talking about?
Aww, you’re so bashful. I love you when you get all shy like that, Delta.
I-I think I’m feeling dizzy…
Sharloon: Your grace! This is no time to be going soft. You need to brief him.
I do…? What a shame. * Sniff *
Sharluneli: But at this rate, Delta may never be able to come visit you here again.
You’re right… I suppose we can save the fun times for after our conversation. Right?
Sharloon: Yes, that’s perfectly fine.
Umm… Do I get any say in this?
Yaaay! Aww, I’m so happy. Now, let’s get down to business!
Yeah… I think I’m about to faint from this excessive gap…
Listen closely, Delta. I hate to spring this onto you, but this world is on the brink of destruction.
Unless we end this meaningless battle, Cass from the Tsun Kingdom will never let you enter this world. Ever.
Really!? But you’re Cass too, right? So, would it really matter if that “un-cute” Cass didn’t let me in?
Oh? Then, does that make me the “cute” Cass?! Ohh, that makes me so happy… I feel all tingly!

This sort of thing happens more often than you’d think.

But this world is also the entrance to various other worlds… Think of that Cass as the gatekeeper to everything.
In other words, you won’t be able to come to our world either, Delta. Do you see the gravity of our situation?
Y-Yeah… Sorta.
And if that happens, all those things I’ve wanted to do with you… Like thiiiis… Or thaaaat… Hehe…
I couldn’t do any of it! * sniff *
I-I see, well that would be a problem. I guess we need to do something…
RIGHT!? I knew you’d understand.
So, what exactly are we doing again?
We need to get her to change her mind… And end this war.
You’re telling me we need to make amends with the Tsun Cass.
Exactly! Aww, my Delta. I’m so glad you’re a smart one.

The reason we’ve “climbed” all the way up here… But in the end, we butted heads and didn’t go anywhere.
We need to do something before the Hollow Warrior fires off his beam cannon! Then we’re really doomed.

A tip, when there’s a giant monster version of you inside someone’s heart, something’s the matter.

What you saw there are the bonds to the world that are holding Cass back.
The bonds…?
Precisely. Whether or not that foul creature fires off a beam is entirely up to the Cass in Tsun Kingdom.
Wow… Sounds complicated.
That’s what’s going on here… So please, could you convince the Cass in Tsun Kingdom to change her mind?
Wait, I have to!? Couldn’t you guys approach her? Wouldn’t that make more sense?
No, we can’t… That would be the equivalent of us retreating. And then this world would close once again.
Okay, well, I think I get it… But no matter what I tell her, she just puts up a barrier. I can’t get through.
Well, of course… In that kingdom, they speak Tsun-anese.
Wh-What the heck is Tsun-anese…?
Delta, don’t tell me you’ve never heard of it and you were still talking to her? You need a translator…
That’s it! I’ve got something perfect for you. Sharloon, bring it over here, please!
Sharloon: Yes, understood!

Yeah I’m not going to say this thing’s name, I’m just going to write it down.

Sharloon: This little girl is “Tsunderain”, and she understands both Tsun-anese, and Dere-lish.
Dere…lish?
Dere-lish is the language of my country. Isn’t it lovely, Delta?
Y-Yeah… Now that you mention it…
I guess the only strange thing about it, is that Cass is speaking it… But when taken at face value, it’s nice.
Right? So please… Can you do something about Cass?
Then, afterwards… We can do some REALLY naughty things. Or, I suppose, we could do it right now?

Feinne’s Notes:
If we spend 7k here, we get an Event Still and then are kicked the gently caress out. We don’t have that, though, so it’ll have to wait for a later time.

Another tip, if a second version of your partner shows up and starts hitting on you it’s best to say no.

System Message: Obtained the thought gem [Exciting Temptation]!
Aww, you’re so adorable when you try to act tough. Gosh, how I love you.
W-Well then, I’ll be going now!

This is only the beginning. If you’re surprised by this, I don’t suggest you dive any deeper.
By the way, serious talk… What’s with that HUGE version of me that looks like he’s about to collapse?
Um, I think it’s irrefutably you?
No, that’s not what I… I’m asking, what purpose does it serve?
That, I do not know.
But this, I can say for certain… You, as you currently stand, pose as an obstacle to Cass.
Which is, I’m afraid, exactly what you need to solve.
…I see.

Delta and the thing with the bad name returned to the other Cass.

H-Hey, Delta? This isn’t good… Cass is looking all over for you!
There you are! Where do you think you’re going!?
I found you! You disappeared all of a sudden… I was so lonely!
…Wha-!? You’re joking…
Who the hell is this supposed to be!? Don’t bring weird people into my base!
How dare you bring another woman home… The nerve!
W-Wow… So this is a translation into Derelish…?
Is this… An interpreter!? My, this is fascinating.
Argh! How dare you interrupt me!
You’re supposed to talk to me… And only me.
Hey now, why don’t you just hear me out?
Cass, that Hollow Warrior? Don’t worry about him. He won’t attack… So let’s make amends with the Empire.
Delta, you’re being tricked! Just leave me alone. Get out of here! You don’t know anything about this world!
It’s dangerous for you here… Please, I don’t’ want my Delta to be in danger.
If you don’t leave, I’ll throw you into the brig again!
I can’t protect you, but I want to be by your side. It would make me feel better if you were secure in the safe.

Though I do know some people who could use one of these things.

It’s all true, I swear! Please, Delta… Don’t be misled by my words, and realize my true feelings!
…Uhh… I can’t do this anymore. I hate you, Delta…
I’m so embarrassed… You knowing how I feel, it’s… What if you hate me now… * sniff *
Whooooooooa there, stop, stop. You can stop now, Tsunderain…
Understood.
AAAHHH! I can’t contain it anymore. I have to know more about her… I’m gonna do some research!
Wha-!? Hey…! Tch, I still don’t get her, even in this world…
* sob sob * I hate you… Delta…
Cass, don’t cry. I’m not going to hate you, alright?
It’s not like I’m worried about you hating me… Or anything… * sniff *
Why don’t you tell me more about yourself and your country. I might be able to help, you know?
…O-Okay.
This country used to be peaceful, until about six months ago.

Delta, now, has referred to what exactly he did that has led to his problems. Six months before the story, he lowered the Barrier around Felion briefly.

Six months ago, the Hollow Warrior appeared out of nowhere and the Dere Empire invaded at the same time.
I see…
The Dere Empire’s trying to bring our country to its knees with that monster. That’s why we must defeat it!
But I don’t know if we can defeat it… Which is why we’re doomed.
Hey, calm down here. Alright, there’s one thing I can say for sure. The Hollow Warrior isn’t their weapon.
You lie! How can that be true?
Trust me on this one!
Do you honestly expect me to trust you? After all these lies? I knew it! You’re a spy for the Dere Empire!
Man… This conversation isn’t going anywhere…

Feinne’s Notes:
For once both answers let you stay in the Soulscape, but getting pissed about how she’s acting will also get you a Thought Gem.

I’m kind of impressed by how much crap he took before he lost it.

Eek!
I play nice, and you go on and say whatever you want? Who the hell do you think you are!?
Do you have any idea how much I worry about you!? DO YOU?
How the heck could I!?
Maybe I should show you what I mean… Physically.
Eek! Okay, okay… I get it, Please forgive me.
Then, apologize!
I’m sor…
Can’t hear you!
I’m… Sorry…
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Lust for Conquest]!
See? That wasn’t so bad, was it?
…Ahh…
Cass, don’t get me wrong. That’s how much I care about you, okay?
How much you…?

Though, well, he didn’t necessarily get what was going on in the world yet.

I want to protect you… I’ll never lie.
I’m gonna defeat that Hollow Warrior, I promise. So you have to trust me.
…That’s impossible.
Why!?
B-Because…
Eek!

If it was always enough to just display a bunch of sincere feeling, Diving would be easy.

Commander! We have an emergency… The Hollow Warrior has started its attack!
Wha…?
Wh-What did you just say!?
Sergeant Catty!! Send all of our troops to the hill of ruins!
Ma’am!
…I should’ve known better than to trust you. How foolish… GOD I HATE YOU!
H-Hey, Cass!
…What the hell’s going on here?

For the answer to that question, though, you kids will just have to wait for next time.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: The Hollow Warrior

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Feinne posted:

System Message: Obtained the thought gem [Tsun Kingdom Dere Empire]!

I wanted to smash something when this came up, and then it only got worse.

I'm glad that "nice hat" is an immutable aspect of Casty, though.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I do appreciate the insinuation that Tsunderenish is a sign of split personality disorder though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So, are all the sharl half naked fairies? I thought they were going to be space ghosts from the intro. Right now this all seems very...stupid, if I'm being generous.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
So nice to see the Warrior from Nausicaa managed to get a new job after the Seven Days of Fire.
Wait a beam? It really IS that warrior :stare:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I wanted to smash something when this came up, and then it only got worse.

I'm glad that "nice hat" is an immutable aspect of Casty, though.
My head hurts, I facepalmed too hard after reading that. The hat thing is nice though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

I think Nay has warped Cass's idea of what empresses are supposed to look like.

Also, our hero is already further along than Croix was with Cloche at this point in the game! Cloche's big tsundere level was all the way down on level 5. TBF though Croix and Cloche started off as complete strangers while Cass and Delta clearly have quite a bit of history together.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 9, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

So, are all the sharl half naked fairies? I thought they were going to be space ghosts from the intro. Right now this all seems very...stupid, if I'm being generous.

Most sharl look like that, yes. It will make more sense when we learn what they are and where they're coming from.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It doesn't really matter why they look like that in the story. Its stupid because the designers decided to make them look like that in the first place. I'm trying to give this game a chance but these designs are complete trash so far. I guess my tolerance for :japan: isn't high enough for this.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

It doesn't really matter why they look like that in the story. Its stupid because the designers decided to make them look like that in the first place. I'm trying to give this game a chance but these designs are complete trash so far. I guess my tolerance for :japan: isn't high enough for this.

Well, outside of the couple of Dives they're in (I'm not sure the generic ones show up again in Cass's Dives honestly) at least you won't really have to look that close at the generic Sharl models, so there's that.

I'm going to bring up a plus side to this Dive, this is probably the weakest one in the game by a wide margin and once we get to the payoff it's still actually pretty decent.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 9, 2015

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I dunno, I think "Delta tried to kill everyone in town half a year ago, and also why doesn't he remember how Dives work?" is already pretty interesting payoff; anything in the Dive itself is going to be kind of small potatoes compared to those two questions.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You know, after the first two updates I was thinking that outside of some of the character designs this game wasn't really all that :japan: compared to some of the other games Feinne has LP'd. I thought most people in the thread were exaggerating.

I'm glad to have been proven wrong so quickly before getting a chance to voice that opinion.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I may consider getting this off the PSN or even Gamefly. Before I do, are there any big glitches that'll screw the game up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

HR12345 posted:

I may consider getting this off the PSN or even Gamefly. Before I do, are there any big glitches that'll screw the game up?

There was something some people ran into but it was avoidable and has since been patched.

So, since it matters more to you the readers a brief poll:

After this Dive, I've actually got two possible things I can do. What I actually DID was see a bunch of scenes with Nay at the restaurant so I could unlock some syntheses. However, I have recorded plenty enough of our rescue mission for an update or two. So, a couple of options:

Option A: Just show it as I did it, so after the Dive we'll see a bunch more pretty funny stuff in that side-story, then several updates of plot in a row.

Option B: Skip it for an update in favor of some plot advancement, then weave in updates with that content in between plot updates.

I can make either work, and this issue will be recurring because there is a strong incentive to unlock all the new poo poo every time there in fact is new poo poo (since that's again almost 100% of our sources of new equipment) which means on my end we'll have a bunch of that sort of content all together.

• Locked thread