Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Szurumbur posted:

How does any of you know that characters not have pants, are there upskirts shots or something

In America, pants are trousers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Feinne posted:

AT2 had some, there was that dude who was gay for Croix, the outcome for Luca and Cloche in Mir's ending, and of course the true antagonists of the whole shebang.

I mean if you're also counting women then you pretty much have to throw in Akane and Finnel from AT3 as well. They even intertwined their fingers while blushing when they were reunited in the ending, in anime girl terms that's like one step short of getting married.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Feinne posted:

This character sang EXEC_Z.

Richa. Or Richaryosha, if we're being fancy.

quote:

Akane had a cute little companion in Ar Tonelico Qoga. What was its name, and what sort of thing was it?

wow, it's pretty rude to refer to Finnel as "it"

It was named Kukuro, and it was an Antibody: judging by its appearance, it's presumably related to the Doll-type antibodies.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I can overlook most of the problems other people have with the game so far, but I'm starting to get more than a little tired of the way the antagonists escape and/or continue with their plans immediately after the PCs defeat them in combat, every single time. Between that and the fact that we're repeatedly getting our asses kicked plotwise it's just not doing a great job of selling the idea that we're achieving anything -- at most we're staving off the worst possible outcome, and occasionally we don't even manage that.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Feinne posted:

The name of the incarnation of the planet encountered at its core.

Ciela. Although Ciela's made up of a bunch of Wills of the Planet that have their own names that I can't remember without looking them up.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah seriously. The moment Cosal appeared, I fully expected things to get much worse, with Cosal agreeing to just kill Delta and Cass there no matter what. It was a very nice surprise to see that he actually has some common sense and a sense of fairness.

That said Earthes' death was sad as hell even when you remember that that's just a shell and the person controlling him is still perfectly fine. And the Delta moment could've been done far better, if the person controlling Delta is meant to be the player (and it clearly is), then at least give some options that don't make him or her sound like a total sociopath. Just "I'm sorry, but there's something far bigger going on!" would've done a gigantic difference, instead of "NO I'M THE ONE CONTROLLING YOU!". Make the player sound like someone who has no other option but to do what they are (which is true, because otherwise you can't play), instead of an rear end in a top hat who's doing this for fun and doesn't give a poo poo about manipulating others (which is...true as well, of course, but no player wants to be told that). Plus at this point the player knows what's going on on the other side, so it makes total sense that they'd want to keep hold of Delta, after all, they lost the other possible entry point.

As Feinne has pointed out before, it's not like Gust is above openly mocking the kind of people who play its games. :v:

Still, it seems like it must be sort of jarring to actually play through parts like this, and at the moment I'm kind of drawing unfavourable mental comparisons between how this game handles its own technical limitations and how Analogue: A Hate Story does. For those who haven't played it, the premise of the game is that you're trying to salvage data logs from a derelict spaceship, but its normal communication systems are all broken, so a shipboard AI is building a crude user interface for you on-the-fly so you can ask for what you want. The limited dialogue choices you're given represent what the character you're interacting with thinks you might want to say, and the game does some pretty clever things with that; I think it works better as a framing device to explain its unavoidably limited interactivity than what Ar nosurge is giving us, at least at the moment.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 7, 2015

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

thetruegentleman posted:

Anyway, I have to admit that I really like how the game tries to bond the player with Ion: sure, it doesn't really work for us since its basically pay off for playing Ciel Nosurge, but it's still an interesting way of making the player attached to the heroine. Or rather, it's an interesting way to get the player to think about the nature of love and its relation with reality: more "can you really love a person you never meet" than "can you love a video game character", of course, as I really hope people don't think the latter is possible.

Yeah, while the whole dating-a-video-game-character thing is kinda cringeworthy at face value, there are a lot of aspects of this whole subplot that are actually working pretty well for me as a metaphor for online relationships.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Elric posted:

Why don't they just kick Prim's rear end?

Well, at the moment she's being remotely controlled by someone from another universe, so it'd (a) be kinda rude and (b) not really fix the core problem.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I can't help but notice that Delta hasn't been put in an awkward and/or dangerous situation yet this dive, and I'm guessing things aren't going to stay that easy for him. I wonder what the inevitable complication between planting the seeds and successfully rebuilding Casty's sense of self-worth is going to be. Or maybe I'm completely off base and we're already at the traditional end-of-cosmospheregenometrics victory lap, who knows.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Omobono posted:

:japan: :salute: (is there a salute smilie? I recall one, but I can't find it)

You're probably looking for :patriot:

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

legoman727 posted:

Ion is really the shittiest person, god drat.

Well, we were warned long before this that the thing she values most is herself.

Also in fairness we're on a metaphor-laden voyage into some of the deepest parts of her mind; what we see reflects what she's thinking and feeling, not necessarily what she'd actually do. Nobody else in the series exactly comes off looking flawless in their Dives either.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 7, 2015

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Feinne posted:

I did say quite a while ago that you'd eventually realize Ion's actually kind of an awful fucker who is really quite good at playing on other people's perceptions of her to get what she wants. We should just be glad she is inclined to turn this towards the world's salvation instead of helping Nelo because she'd be way more effective as a villain than any of the chucklefucks we've been up against, entirely because she'd have acted entirely the same as she has except with a sudden but inevitable and crushing betrayal.

You know what she reminds me of now that you mention it, is that one DLC personality for Harvy in AT3 that fakes being nice and concerned about everyone's well-being right up until the moment you fight her.

Although in fairness to Ion she does seem to genuinely care about other people at least to some extent and she has legitimate concerns about the possibility that Earthes is interdimensionally catfishing her.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Sep 10, 2015

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Here? You're right, it's pretty suss.

You talked about this at the time. I didn't really believe you then, because it seemed to contradict everything else about the game. Now that I've seen it for myself... it still seems to contradict everything else about the game. And not in a good way. Not in a thought-provoking, defying-my-expectations way. In the worst kind of have-your-cake-and-eat-it-too, "she has problems but all she needs is a good man to fix her right up" way.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I'm hoping you're overestimating the amount of fixing we're actually going to do. If there's one message the franchise has been pretty consistent about so far it's that the best thing you can do for someone you care about is to accept them as they are and ultimately if they want to change that's gotta come from them, not you. That's not to say they won't gently caress it up in this game, because the writing's definitely been shaky in places, but I'll be disappointed if they do.

Also as has been mentioned before we don't technically know that Earthes is a man. :v:

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Sep 15, 2015

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Also, I realise this is a fairly conceited thing for me to say after I just said I don't know anything about Ar Tonelico, but I played Fault Milestone One over the weekend and it's everything I personally could ever want from this kind of game with none of the crude humour. If you're the kind of person to be following this thread, and you don't mind visual novels as a format, and you aren't too fussed if the music isn't as good as in this game, I recommend it very very highly. You can get it on Steam.

Unless you're only into Ar Nosurge for its male protagonists and pretty girls wearing not enough clothes. If that's what you're after, then maybe don't bother. I mean, Fault has pretty girls in, but they're fairly conservatively dressed.

The sequel, fault milestone two, is 25% off on Steam for about another two hours. Thought you might like to know if you didn't already.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

I was starting to wonder how close we were to the end: I figured we weren't too far off but I didn't know we were this close. Looks like the end boss is gonna be a rematch with Prim and the Maternal Overseer, then. I hope we find out more about what the person controlling Prim's deal is: "random interdimensional rear end in a top hat" would be a sort of disappointing final boss motivation for a franchise that's usually good at those.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Welp, I was giving this game credit for actually managing a halfway mature depiction of Cass and Delta's relationship and now suddenly they're back to weird bickering. Did the game expect you to craft that last item much earlier than this or did the writers just forget that unresolved sexual tension doesn't really work when the characters are already in a relationship with each other?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Feinne posted:

This song causes humans, Antibodies, and Reyvateils to be merged into Reyvaroids.

EXEC_Z. I like how the lyrics to this one are basically all about the singer's motivations for doing what she knows is a terrible idea. Come to think of it, there are quite a few boss songs in the series that are like that.

quote:

This song can cause a Reyvateil's physical strength and size to greatly increase temporarily.

EXEC_CUTYPUMP.

quote:

This song sealed the Mother Virus.

EXEC_CHRONICLE_KEY.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Suddenly I'm feeling pretty okay about my decision to not buy Ar Nosurge+ while it was on sale.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Apparently the situation was that they realised how bad it was but they had a contractual obligation to localise it so they were kinda stuck.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Delta and Cass being embarrassed by Kanon being overly solicitous about kids is at least progress over Delta and Cass constantly bickering. The two of them are actually acting like they're in a relationship for once.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Oh good, so that glitch wasn't just me.

I got Luca. Considering my dating history... yeah, that's about right.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Hey, neat, it gives you different questions based on how you answered the previous ones. This time I got... Bishop Falss. Maybe I should have quit while I was ahead.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Tarezax posted:

Going back through the Ar Tonelico 1 & 2 LPs, it looks like all your Viddler videos are now broken.

Yeah, Viddler decided a couple of years ago that it was unwise to compete directly with YouTube and rebranded itself as a paid service hosting interactive multimedia content for businesses, so any LP videos hosted there are long gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

UncertainKitten posted:

So, I sorta have a recording now. It's not great, but it's not horrible, so I'll post it. Is there a preferred way to post these things 'cuz I've never really done this before.

If it's just audio, put it up on tindeck. If you've got video too, youtube.

• Locked thread