Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elmina
Jun 7, 2007

Lemon Pie
I'm so mad I didn't see this LP until like 4 days ago. But! It has been entirely solid, so definite props, Feinne.

I'm also here to bring some interesting tidbits that haven't been brought up! I'm not sure if it was brought up in the original LPs for AT1-3, but Hymn Crystals have feelings contained in them for the singer to relate to and craft a song around. While I played Ar nosurge, something struck me as familiar, and well.

From the AT wiki, the Feelings Contained in the Hymn Crystal for EXEC_COSMOFLIPS/.:

"A refugee ship drifts at the speed of light
Alone in this planet's ocean
In this distance of forty thousand light years from Sol
Seeking for God, while bearing a fate of eternal wandering

There is an uncountable amount of people on this boat
In these poor surroundings, both inside and outside - people are everywhere.
The young girl Kanui sat amongst those people.
She doesn't do anything but eat the solid food she was given every day.
No, she couldn't do anything.

Humans have lost their planet, and this boat was all that was left.
Their only hope lies in the living entity called COSAL, the savior of humankind.
They call it God.
And the young girl Kanui acted as the medium between them and COSAL.

As the medium, Kanui healed, comforted and served the humans, and conveyed teachings.
But there are simply too many people on this boat slated for forty thousand light years
People are in a state of decay, and there are many who throw themselves overboard.

During all that, the people eventually came into contact with mysterious lifeforms.
"They", who came onto this ship during some point, had transparent bodies inlaid with stars.
The people were shocked, and burnt out those bodies
The stars within those bodies scattered on the starship, and eroded the people's bodies.
They invade their bodies like an epidemic, and the people died after getting a high fever.
Most of "them" escaped into the ship, but nonetheless, the people took chase.

Kanui's meeting with "them" happened a few days later.
It was over in an instant.
Just as her mind registered "their" sudden appearance, "they" took off immediately.
The reason came to her quickly.
Doctors were chasing after them with firearms.
But Kanui knew it immediately upon meeting "them".
She needed to chase after them.

"They" were cornered in the engine room.
In a world neighboring a vernier of a few thousand degrees, they can't live long.
So the people shut "them" into the control room, and waited for "them" to turn into coals.

Kanui squeezed her way through those people and opened the door of the engine room.
Shaking off the surprised adults who tried to stop her, she headed into the engine room.

It was a burning world.
"They" looked at her, and drew back as if in fear.
But she reached out to them, and sang gently.

Hey, please listen?
I have no intention of stealing your lives or powers
Because every single will is essential to this world as a whole
They should not be discriminated against or disregarded

I know humans are not kind lifeforms, nor are they strong lifeforms
But please, for the sake of those who attempt to coexist with you, give them hope
So that this world may overflow with hope

Kanui was brought down to her knees. She could not longer stand.
But even if she could not stand, even if her hand was burning
She did not lower it, and continued to sing

Those lifeforms approached her timidly
Placing their hands on hers, they whispered

Our name is Ru- "

And from the Feelings Contained for the Hymn Crystal EXEC_REBIRTHIA=PROTOCOL/.:

"A refugee ship drifts at the speed of light
Alone in this planet's ocean
In this distance of forty thousand light years from Sol
Seeking for God, while bearing a fate of eternal wandering

One Goddess and 120000 refugees were on the ship.
They have exhausted their food supplies, and absorbed all organic substances,
Despite that, the people still lived on while dying.
Though Kanui - the maiden who could communicate with God - was their hope,
She chased the invaders - "them" - into the engine room and suffered fatal burns.

Emerging from the room, she told this to the stirring crowd.
Devour this body of mine.
Or you'll all die...she said.

The people hesitated.
But there was no food left on the ship.
No one has eaten or drunk anything for more than ten days.
A ship without an engineer is one headed towards death.

Someone put the maiden in their mouth.
Kanui whispered lightly.

Please, give hope...

As if on a cue, the people crowded around Kanui and devoured her whole.

And then, the people died.

Before the passing of 10 days, all life was wiped out.
The people's corpses piled up like mountains, and eventually decomposed, returning to the earth.
By the Ru's power, the people's corpses became a bountiful land.
The ship rode on the land made of their corpses, and traveled on.
Sometimes by the undulations of the planet, sometimes by the power of the atoms.

And then, one life was born.
That which was piled on the ship with the humans sprouted a beautifully green bud.

Eventually, after a few hundred light years of traveling,
The ship was covered in greenery, and microscopic lifeforms were born.
The ship acted as a huge biotope, and more lives were created.

After traveling a few thousand more light years,
The ship was pulled in by a small planet and forced into landing.
And the ship - which had become a huge biocapsule -, nurtured life on this planet.

Alongside the planet Sol that nurtured the light of hope
A new generation of humans shall be born
Onto this planet - the new land of hope
And create a new civilization.

Awaken, o land
Make our souls resound just once more
And please give hope to these new lives

I pray that a disaster like this shall never happen again

To our descendants
Or our motherly planet."

The wiki also points out that the story for the Hymn Crystal was probably loosely based on the events in Ar nosurge, only a helluva lot darker than the actual events were, to an extent. Was definitely a :stare: moment for me while I played.

It was also hinted at by Feinne, but the forest theme on Ar Ciel is a modified version of Shelanoir's Forest, confirmed in the Sound Room notes for AnS as well. The mention of ZeeiFaLea in Shelanoir's Forest is brought up by Ayatane too.

I'll wait for the endings to say anything else, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmina
Jun 7, 2007

Lemon Pie
Actually I think the art that got linked of real world Ion is available after you get the alternate epilogue after you beat it on Ion's side, fairly sure I got that art when I went back and did that.

Elmina
Jun 7, 2007

Lemon Pie

Feinne posted:

If it's in the game it's not with the other CG art in the texture dump.

Anyway Ion going home is the ending we're not going to see because I think it's really dumb and I'm not fighting the Soreil an extra time to show it in video form, I'll probably just pull the text of that epilogue out of the text dump.

Yeah, I went looking for it on my save file and it's not there. But I'm 98% sure I've seen it in game without having to have a Ciel file so :shrug: I'll have to go looking again. I'm missing a couple trophies anyway.

Elmina
Jun 7, 2007

Lemon Pie
Hell to the no, every time I replay AT2 for fun it's always fabulous. I usually get upset that the other two were not AT2 despite having a terrible localization. I keep holding out hope that Gust will do a collection so I can get a better localized version of all three games...

Elmina
Jun 7, 2007

Lemon Pie

Feinne posted:

After this game I don't trust them to do any better themselves than NISA did, I was not impressed by the effort put into the localization here.

And if they did redo the localization I'd expect and get quite miffed if they didn't get as much of the original cast as they could. You can fault the accuracy of the words but damned if NISA isn't good at assembling the right people for things (Kate Higgins is always the right person for things make a game and have her do all the voices Eddie Murphy style).

If they could keep the localization that was already done and just fix the glitches and actually translate the bits that didn't get translated (I'm looking at you, Cloche Fan Club text!)/fully translated? I'd be a happy camper. Or at least do a collab with NISA to use their translation, get them to translate or retranslate stuff that didn't get done correctly, etc. They seem to work with them for game releases, might as well go the whole nine yards and do it right. Likely wouldn't happen though. :sigh:

Elmina
Jun 7, 2007

Lemon Pie
Went and downed the game with Ion, did not get the art. I know I saw it in game and now it's just bugging me. I don't *think* it was a Genometrics thing, but I did start a replay last night. I'll find it eventually or... just get frustrated I'm not remembering it correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmina
Jun 7, 2007

Lemon Pie
Ahhh it's done! Thanks, Feinne!

Fun thing with the ending song if you go for Ion's true ending of going back home with Nelo: it's sung in REON, Japanese, and then it ends up fading into Ar Cielan. Just that one last connection to the Ar tonelico games beyond Shurelia.

• Locked thread