Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Video- “Ar Nosurge Intro”

Watch

A God that comes from a world far away, descends and creates utopia on a new world…
That Song shall bring destruction and blessings to a perishing world.
People call this God… Earthes.

And now it’s that time again, once more Gust has put one of these out and once more unto the breach of :japan: I shall ride. Let’s bring a couple things up now.

What is Ar Nosurge?
Ar Nosurge is soooort of a sequel to the Ar Tonelico series in a conceptual sense, though its actual setting and timing relation to those games will not be immediately apparent as of the start. It is also a direct sequel to a game we probably will never see, Ciel Nosurge. It features a whole bunch more awesome music from series veterans Akiko Shikata, Haruka Shimotsuki, and Noriko Mitose, as well as Yoshino Nanjo (who actually was a voice actress in the original Ar Tonelico) and the sadly late Origa (who passed in January to lung cancer). It’s also a very close second to Ar Tonelico 2 for best game in the series in my opinion.

You mentioned Ciel Nosurge and that this is a sequel?
Yeah, so about that. If you’d really like to look up a synopsis of that game it would I suppose make some things more clear, but honestly I didn’t find it that necessary. This game does a pretty decent job getting across what you need to know about Ciel Nosurge, on purpose I think because they knew this would be getting a western release and that wouldn’t.

EDIT: Viewer FrantzX helpfully provided a link to everything you could ever need to know about Ciel Nosurge.

Note on Localization:
So, this is the first game in the series that wasn’t localized by NISA. You’re probably thinking ‘oh that’s good, because NISA is constantly loving things up.’ Well guess again, because this game’s localization is riddled with inconsistencies in location and character names. You won’t necessarily notice unless you watch the text in voiced videos, though, because I’ll sort that out in the transcripts for readability.

A Note on Spoilers:
Please don't, if you know what's coming you also know it's awesome and it would suck to spoil it.

LET'S BE CLEAR HERE
If a major thing from Ciel Nosurge's plot happens to actually get a pretty significant treatment in this game, please do NOT mention it so it can be a surprise for everyone else!

Cast:

Delta:
A pretty laid back guy who owns a restaurant. Seems to have been a part of an elite security unit before doing something that got him kicked out. Voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch.

Cass:
Delta’s friend, and a Genomis. Part of PLASMA, an elite anti-Sharl unit. Voiced by Stephanie Sheh, sung by Yoshino Nanjo.

Ion:
The Lighthouse Keeper, and the main character of Ciel Nosurge. Was just rescued from limbo after having her destroyed memories reconstructed. Voiced by Cristina Vee, sung by Akiko Shikata.

Earthes:
A badass robot Ion built, because she does things like that. Is being remote controlled by someone it seems. Unvoiced.

Sarly:
Seems to be someone Delta and Cass know, we saw her in a dream sequence. Voiced by Cherami Leigh.

Nay:
Lives a double life as the Divine Empress of Felion and Nay the Gale. One day long ago pants destroyed her village, and she has sworn eternal enmity against them. Is secretly a human in a Sharl's body. Voiced by Kira Buckland, sung by Haruka Shimotsuki.

Kanon:
The Enlightened Sovereign of Sharanohiar. Is greatly respected by the Sharl, and good friends with Ion. Voiced by Carrie Keranen, sung by Origa (RIP).

Prime Minister Undou:
The Prime Minister of Felion, and second only to the Divine Empress. It seems he used to know Zill on Ra Ciela.

Shirotaka:
A guy whose technical excellence is only matched by how weird a dude he is. Was believed dead, but it turns out he was Doctor Leolm the whole time. Voiced by Todd Haberkorn.

Renall:
The former Prime Minister. We don't know much more about her because Nelo screwed up her memories. Voiced by Karen Strassman.

Prime:
A weird person we briefly saw in a dream. Later we met her in Cass's Soulscape. Voiced by Sandy Fox.

Prim:
A Dream Genom created by Cass and Delta. Identical to Prime from the Soulscape, though they are different entities. Also voiced by Sandy Fox, and sung by Noriko Mitose.

Cosal:
The Lord of the Genom. Was slightly killed when Ra Ciela was destroyed but has since gotten better. In spite of his self-proclaimed moral superiority to humanity is also Lord of the Dicks. Probably started the Genom/Sharl trend of pants-resistance.

Zill:
Archbishop of the Genomirai Church. Trying to become a god called the Maternal Overseer. Voiced by Wendee Lee.

Nelo:
A strange girl that was holding Ion captive. Also came from another dimension. Voiced by Mela Lee.

Nelico:
A strange person we met inside the world Ion was trapped in. Was actually an Astrocyte Modulation Virus meant to keep her from escaping. Actually seemed pretty nice in spite of that. Voiced by Michelle Ruff.

Tattoria:
A Sharl Ion and Earthes made friends with. Voiced by Erica Mendez.

Vio:
A Genom who lives with Tattoria.

Shurelia:
The first Reyvateil, and administrator of the tower of Ar Tonelico. Her actual name is Eolia, but she doesn't care for that. Voiced by Janice Kawaye.

Ayatane:
Chief of the Teru Tribe. It's a title, not a name. Voiced by Kaiji Tang.

Table of Contents:

Phase I: yal fii-ne noh-iar STATUS: PURGED

Chapter 1: Delta and Cass
Chapter 2: Nay the Gale
Chapter 3: Trust Issues, Part 1 [Cass' Genometrics 1]
Chapter 4: Trust Issues, Part 2 [Cass' Genometrics 1]
Chapter 5: Rescue
Chapter 6: Odds and Ends with Nay 1
Chapter 7: Escape From Quanturv
Chapter 8: Odds and Ends with Nay 2
Chapter 9: Prim
Chapter 10: Saving Felion
Chapter 11: Friendship, Part 1 [Cass/Sarly's Genometrics 1]
Chapter 12: Friendship, Part 2 [Cass/Sarly's Genometrics 1]
Chapter 13: Distrust
Chapter 14: Interlude: Noelia Labs
Chapter 15: Class::CIEL_N_PROTECTA
Chapter 16: Interlude: Abuse of Power
Chapter 17: Class::CIEL_NOSURGE
Chapter 18: The Lighthouse Keeper and the Avatar
Chapter 19: The Land of the Sharl
Chapter 20: Quality Assurance [Ion's Genometrics 1]
Chapter 21: Ion's Search
Chapter 22: Things Break Down
Chapter 23: Pride [Ion/Kanon's Genometrics 1]
Chapter 24: To the Demon World
Chapter 25: Interlude: Hanging with Tattoria
Chapter 26: Two Years' Time
Chapter 27: Sacrifice, Part 1 [Cass/Nay's Genometrics]
Chapter 28: Sacrifice, Part 2 [Cass/Nay's Genometrics]
Chapter 29: The Green Land
Chapter 30: Showdown at the Sharl Road
Chapter 31: yal fii-ne noh-iar
Chapter 32: Hidra Heteromycin

Phase II: EXSPHERE_NOSURGE STATUS: PURGED

Chapter 33: Friends Old and New
Chapter 34: Shame [Ion/Nay's Genometrics 1]
Chapter 35: Trust [Ion's Genometrics 1
Chapter 36: Nay and a Girl
Chapter 37: Doubt [Ion/Kanon's Genometrics 2]
Chapter 38: Kanon and Cosal
Chapter 39: Loneliness [Ion/Nelico's Genometrics]
Chapter 40: The Sovereign's Store
Chapter 41: Alas, Felion
Chapter 42: Authority [Cass/Kanon Genometrics]
Chapter 43: The Eighth Dimensional
Chapter 44.1: Interlude- The Gale
Chapter 44.2: Interlude- Memories
Chapter 45: Class::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE;
Chapter 46: Class::EXPAJA;
Chapter 47: Revelations Part 1: Power Outage
Chapter 48: Revelations Part 2: Interdimend
Chapter 49: Innocence, Part 1 [Cass/Nelo's Genometrics]
Chapter 50: Innocence, Part 2 [Cass/Nelo's Genometrics]
Chapter 51: Futility
Chapter 52: Interlude with Kanon
Chapter 53: An Elephant Moai
Chapter 54: Interlude: Illness
Chapter 55: The Vanishing World
Chapter 56: Interlude: Hopeless
Chapter 57: To the Sky
Chapter 58: Sora
Chapter 59: Class::XIO_PROCEED

Phase III: RE:Incarnation STATUS: PURGED
Chapter 60: System Restore
Chapter 61: Plans
Chapter 62: Rin
Chapter 63: Leolm
Chapter 64: Interlude: The Contest
Chapter 65: Choices
Chapter 66: Interlude: Collapse
Chapter 67: Class::AR_NOSURGE#RE:Incarnation;
Chapter 68: Renall's Memories
Chapter 69: Cruelty [Ion/Renall's Genometrics]
Chapter 70: Class:: DISTLLISTA;
Chapter 71: The Origin and the Chief
Chapter 72: Friendship, Redux Part 1 [Cass/Sarly's Genometrics 2]
Chapter 73: Friendship, Redux Part 2 [Cass/Sarly's Genometrics 2]
Chapter 74: Emptiness, Part 1 [Cass/Zill's Genometrics]
Chapter 75: Emptiness, Part 2 [Cass/Zill's Genometrics]
Chapter 76: The Will of Ar Ciel
Chapter 77: A New Hope
Chapter 78: Harmony
Chapter 79: em-pyei-n vari-fen jang
Chapter 80: Hope
Chapter 81: Revival, Part 1 [Cass's Genometrics 2]
Chapter 82: Revival, Part 2 [Cass's Genometrics 2]
Chapter 83: Dependence, Part 1 [Ion/Nay's Genometrics 2]
Chapter 84: Dependence, Part 2 [Ion/Nay's Genometrics 2]
Chapter 85: The Traveler, Part 1 [Ion's Genometrics 2]
Chapter 86: The Traveler, Part 2 [Ion's Genometrics 2]
Chapter 87: Interlude: Kanon Wrapup
Chapter 88: Interlude: The Girl, Part 1
Chapter 89: Interlude: The Girl, Part 2
Chapter 90: The Return
Chapter 91: Lxa ti-cia
Chapter 92: Interlude: Delta and Cass, with Kanon
Chapter 93: Gathering the Seven
Chapter 94: The Heart of Gaea
Chapter 95: Interlude: Iron Cooking
Chapter 96: Nosurge Kitchen
Chapter 97: Allez Cuisine
Chapter 98: Sarly on Love
Chapter 99: Sarly on Food
Chapter 100: Further Sarly
Chapter 101: The Reincarnation
Chapter 102: RE:incarnation Part 1
Chapter 103: RE:incarnation Part 2-Delta and Cass Ending

Chapter 104: Moe'd Down [Delta/Shirotaka DLC Dive Part 1]
Chapter 105: Moe's the Pity [Delta/Shirotaka DLC Dive Part 2]
Chapter 106: End of Moes [Delta/Shirotaka DLC Dive Conclusion]
Chapter 107: Nei's Story, Part 1 [Ion/Shirotaka DLC Dive]
Chapter 108: Nei's Story, Part 2 [Ion/Shirotaka DLC Dive]
Chapter 109: Nei's Story, Part 3 [Ion/Shirotaka DLC Dive]

Final Chapter: RE:incarnation Part 3- Ion and Earthes Ending :japan: New Episode :japan:

Icedude supplied this awesome animated version of the Ar Nosurge OS Logo:

Tarezax is a really cool guy and did some art of everyone's favorite IPD

Lunar Suite presents Ar NoSurge.png

Feinne fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Alright, it’s late. Time to go to bed. What? You want another story? Ugh, fine, how about I tell you about the time we… Huh? A new story, one I’m not even in? Alright then, how about this? I got this one from a friend, and though it’s not so much a new story, I’m sure you haven’t heard it before.

Video- “What Came Before”

Watch for Music

Feinne’s Notes:
The track that plays here is one of Origa’s, and we’ll hear it in full later in the game so I won’t link it now. It’s worth the wait, because it’s one of my favorites and I want a real opportunity to gush over it then.

Long ago, somewhere far away…

There lived a world called Ra Ciela.

When the people of Ra Ciela found themselves in danger, they sacrificed their home in the hopes of escaping.

But something went terribly wrong, and their loss was in vain.

They lost not only their world but their Songs, and were left adrift in despair.

Trapped aboard the ship that was supposed to take them to a new world.

Even then fate was cruel to their people, as strange creatures appeared to attack them, the Sharl.

Some people chose to try and coexist with the Sharl.

Others, to fight them to their last breaths.

Everyone, holding on to the hope that one day they’d escape their floating prison and step foot on the world they were promised.

They’ve been telling me starting stories in the middle of the action is big these days, so let’s do it.

Video- “In Media Res”

Watch

A young man named Delta finds himself someplace strange, not entirely sure how he got there.

A young woman is with him, his friend Cass.

Huh? R-Right, okay!

As is a strange person he’s never met before.

Hehe. Waiting.
Waiting?
Yeah! So you better come find me!
Hey! Hold on!
…Who was that…?

After speaking, the strange girl disappeared into thin air.

Delta and Cass came upon a strange locked door.

If you think it’s suspicious, you should try opening it.
I would, but it’s locked…
So? You already know the passcode, right?
Huh?
Well come on, type in some numbers.
Um… All right, how about…5, 0, 4…9.
It opened? Seriously?
Told you so.
Why? Whatever. Let’s see what’s inside.

Inside the room, they found a young girl and a mechanical soldier!

W-What the hell are those things?!
Here they come!
Damnit!

Feinne’s Notes:
Here is our main combat tutorial. I’ll summarize and accompany with screens as I feel the need to. Combat starts with us choosing a Song Magic. We’re back to being able to choose from multiple Songs now, though for now we’ve only got the one with Cass.

Having chosen our Song Magic, we’re thrust into our turn. Let’s examine the battle screen so I can point out the various parts.

The right side of the screen is ours, and the left the enemy’s. In the top right we see our Burst, how strong our Song Magic currently is. This raises automatically as turns pass in battle, but at a greatly accelerated pace depending on our performance. More on that later. Directly below that is our heroine’s Barrier, effectively our hit points. The heroine has four Barrier sections, and when one is fully depleted it becomes much harder to heal that damage back. We’ll talk more about that in a more advanced combat discussion later. Further down we see our attacks, including how many of each we currently have. Square attacks are our standard combo, triangle attacks hit multiple targets, and ‘x’ attacks knock enemies back and do heavy Break damage. Circle attacks exist, but we don’t have access to them right now. At the very bottom we see the Harmonics gauge, which can be used to power more powerful attacks and is charged by our combos. Now, you might notice two of the enemies have little exclamation points above their heads. That means they’re the enemies that are going to attack us.

When the enemy turn comes around, any enemies that had warnings that are still able to attack will and we’ll be forced to Defend. We want to hold the Circle button down when the attack actually lands, which can be tricky timing sometimes. I say enemies still able to attack, because we have several techniques to stop them. The first, obviously, is to kill all the enemies that are going to attack. If we can’t do that, though, we can also Break enemies. As we attack them, a little meter below their health will fill. If we can fill it up, they’ll be Broken and their turn will be skipped (except for some very powerful enemies, which will merely lose some of their actions). If we can defeat/Break all enemies that were going to attack, we get an extra turn and bonus Burst charge. This is important because most fights actually only give us limited Turns, as we’ll see next time when we fight a regular random encounter. Up top we see the Enemy Waves, which tells us how many enemies are left and also lets us know if we’ve got powerful enough Song Magic to just win. Again, we’ll discuss that next time. Let’s get back to the game.

It seemed Delta knew this girl as well.

Sarly?!
Now, if you don’t mind, could you get me out of this prison?
Then, when we’re alone together, you can wipe these tears from my face with those big hands of yours…
What are you talking about…? And where are you?
You’re horrible!
What?!
Urgh!?

Video- “Delta and Cass”

Watch

Opening on a dream sequence is also pretty big these days.

Cass…? What are you doing here?
I have the day off, so I thought I’d come by and help you out again!
How many times have I gotta say it? You don’t need to do that.
What?!
I can run the place by myself.
Maybe during the week, but that’s because you only get customers on the weekends when I’m here!
H-Hey, wait a minute!
Just get up! I’ll start cleaning, you go set up the sign. Chop, chop!
Yeah, yeah, all right…

You know come to think about it, why is it that nobody I’ve ever met or heard of who runs restaurants can actually cook?

…It sure is quiet.
That’s because there’s no one here.
Yeah… Not a single fly, even with you here.
You don’t have any ingredients! Who’d want to visit a restaurant with nothing on the menu?!
I do too have something on the menu! Chazen fried rice!
Your “fried rice” is just a huge mound of rice with salt on it!
It’s filling!
It’s just rice and salt, you idiot!
Hey!
Whatever. Close up and we can go buy some ingredients.
You were the one who told me to open in the first place!
Well, I didn’t think a restaurant wouldn’t have any food in it!
Come on, it’s hard to take that sign down once it’s up. You want ingredients, you go buy them!

There was something else behind the argument, though it wasn’t clear what.

After you… after you did THAT to the city!

…Sorry. Let’s just go get some ingredients, alright? We can’t make anything otherwise.
…Yeah.

Cass worked for the special anti-Sharl unit, PLASMA, as it seemed had Delta until recently.

…Hasn’t changed much since you left.
Haven’t there been more deployments lately? And more Sharl attacks…?
That’s classified. You know I can’t talk about it.
Yeah, I do, but people are starting to catch on. They know something’s up, and they’re scared.
You’re just paranoid. Besides, the Sharl can attack all they want, they can’t break the Barrier.
What about the people outside the Barrier?
We’ve been telling everyone we can not to go to the outside, and we run regular patrols out there too.
So they should just abandon their homes and farms to live inside the Barrier? Where would they live?
Nay’s working on that. Things are going to get better.
How many people in Felion are going to get taken by the Sharl before they do?
You need to stop talking now.

Cass, it seemed, did not want to talk about work on her day off.

Hm… Chazen, Stuffed Hamburger, maybe some Salsalad… And how about Terolcake for dessert?
Not bad.
Right?
What else?
That’s it.
Wait, seriously?
I think I’ll call that the A Meal.
What about the B Meal?
There is no B Meal.
So it’s just a slightly fancier version of a normal dinner…?
My restaurant is about quality, not variety.
Ugh…
All right, meat comes first!

Work, however, intruded whether she liked it or not.

Yes, this is Casty.
What? Oh…okay, yes… I’ll get going then, Bye.
What happened?
Nay’s run off again.
Not again…
I think I know where she’s gone. Would you mind coming with me? Since we’re already out here.
What? Why…?
Because I’m helping you on my day off!
O-Okay, I get it… So where are we going?
Outside the Barrier.
Outside… Wait, you’re serious?! What if we get attacked by the Sharl?
Well, if they aren’t hurting anyone, we can always just run away.
Can’t we just let PLASMA take care of this?
What if Nay runs into some Sharl? No, we need to bring her home, now.
Then let PLASMA look for her!
She’s probably in disguise. That’s why the Prime Minister called me.
Gah… Why can’t she act more like a princess?
You don’t know how many times I’ve asked myself the same thing. Come on, we need to move.

Okay, it’s seriously getting late now. We’ll pick this up next time. Bed, now.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Nay the Gale

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It's not really as :japan: as Qoga, nothing can be.

Update probably tomorrow? I really love this game so if I've got content I'm going to get it out as quickly as I can.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Is it me, or is the game's audio poorly balanced? A lot of times, the music drowns out the dialogue. Like, during the intro, the song began to completely drown out the narrator towards the end. And then again during both the discussion about PLASMA between Delta and Cass and the meal options, their voices were drowned out by the background music.

I can mess with the audio balance in the game for the future and turn the dialog up. It won't affect the next update (which is already recorded) but will go live for updates 3+.

Oh and since I brought this up in the Hundred Knight thread here is the first in the Ar Tonelico drink series (in case you need a little liquid courage for this game).

The Aurica:

1.5 oz White Rum
0.5 oz St. Germain (elderflower liqueur)
Dash of Grenadine

You should end up with a light pink drink, sweet with floral hints.

The management is not responsible if you die of alcohol poisoning.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 7, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I can already tell this game will be special (read: not very good).

This game is pretty amazing at what it's trying to do, honestly. Once you 'get' what's happening it's pretty great.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Since it was brought up, I will articulate that yes for the love of god don't spoil stuff about this game, it's goddamn crazy later and it'd be terrible to ruin that for people.

Probably an update tomorrow, then likely Thursday for the next one since it's going to be a bit more text heavy (I'm sure people who've gone through all three of the previous games have an idea what we might run into earlyish in the game that's super text heavy).

David Corbett posted:

A new Ar Tonelico game? With music by the same people? That's less creepy? Man, count me in. I still keep some of the hymmnos on my iPod; hoping there will be more.

You will not be disappointed, the new performances for this are very solid. Akiko Shikata actually did a whole new language for Ra Ciela and you also get some really interesting effect from the fact that Origa's two are actually in Ra Cielan and Russian.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 7, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The combat in the game is kind of as involved as you make it, on Normal you will walk over everything with laughable ease but if you raise the difficulty things can definitely get more exciting at times. Update sometime later today.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Opiomorphone posted:

Is there any reason why it takes place in 7th dimensions? Or was it the developers rolling a d6 and adding 3/4. Because it seems random, like why remove 3 whole dimensions?

All I can say without spoiling quite a bit about the game is yes, yes there is a reason. So much so of a reason that I ended up passing over much funnier titles for one that mentioned it.

EDIT: Also update in strong progress, and includes a thing I know everyone familiar with this game has been waiting for. Y'all who don't know what's coming are going to DIE it's just amazing.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 7, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Jeez, settle down, I’m getting to it. So, last time Delta and Cass were sent to look for someone named Nay, who was outside of Felion’s Barrier.

Feinne’s Notes:
The world map is one of the big offenders as far as having localization issues. These very screens I’m about to show call their ship the “Soreil” and “Orei” (I’m going to suspect it’s probably supposed to be the “Soleil” given Gust is a big fan of French words but Orei is what they use most commonly in the localization so I suppose I’ll go with that).

There were few people still living outside the Barrier, thanks to the constant Sharl attacks.

Yeah, me too.

Feinne’s Notes:
Now we’re in an area with two new systems, random encounters and the Community Ring.

So, first the encounter bar. The color coding, as always, tells us how close we are to an encounter. The main thing to watch for though is the number in the circle, which tells us how many Waves are present in the area still. See, when we run into a random encounter in an area, we run into ALL of them at once. So for example here we will run into 15 waves, for which we will have something like 5 Turns. Combat ends when we either run out of Turns (by ending too many of our own turns without having killed or Broken every enemy), killed all the Waves, or use Song Magic (which always ends a random encounter whether it wipes out all enemy Waves or not). It’s pretty nice honestly, since if we do things right we get one random encounter in an area then we’re good to explore.

The Community Ring is just a little something where the various people hanging around with us at any given time will say things about the situation, location, and items we pick up. I might just collect them into some side updates except for ones that really seem relevant to what’s going on.

Here’s our first combat resolution screen. For the most part our goal in combat is to get the highest Burst we can in order to multiply our rewards by as much as possible, which helps minimize how much we really need to do random fights. Alright, on with the game now.

Their ship, the Orei, was not exactly in the best shape even without strange creatures attacking people.

…Then again, for all we know we’re the only ship out here. Wherever “here” is…
I don’t know if the navigation system is even working anymore.
We don’t seem to have moved since the first time I looked.
Well when you put it that way, I guess nobody knows if the Orei is moving at all.
How long do you think we were in stasis, looking for a new planet?
Long enough for the people living around Felion to call us “Ancients.”
Yeah… I feel like a bit of a fossil.

Video- “Nay the Gale”

Watch

A rather familiar robot and a group of Sharl awaited on the other side of the door.

Oh no, this looks bad.
We need to protect those people!

Someone else, though, was already there.

It wasn’t in the best circumstances, but they had found their friend Nay.

Man: It’s her! She’s here!
Woman: Help us, Ms. Nay!
It’s Nay the Gale!
Nay!
I told you, it’s Nay the? Cass? Delta! What are you guys doing here?
Later! What are those things?!
I dunno. They just smashed through the wall a little while ago.
We have to stop them!
Yeah, but how?
With force, naturally.
Come on Delta! You can help!
…This is really not how I was hoping my day would go.

Feinne’s Notes:
A few more tutorials here. The game tells us about Breaks officially now, you always want to Break enemies that are going to attack if you can. We also get told about Harmonics levels and one of the major benefits we get out of raising them, support effects from our partner. In very basic terms, she’ll shoot song magic poo poo at stuff we’re attacking to support our efforts in increasing amounts as the Harmonics level rises. There’s more to it, but that’ll wait for another day given how tutorial heavy this update’s already been (and that there’s still more to go).

I cannot personally recommend relying on robots for security purposes, it’s way too easy to have them turned against you.

I’m sure the Sharl were sent by the Genomirai Church, just like always.
Again? It seems like they’ve been pushing closer and closer to Felion lately.
There’ve been fewer and fewer people out here too. They’ve already taken so many of them…
Is this machine from the Church then too?
No idea. It just appeared out of nowhere and busted through the wall.
Hm…interesting…
I…I think I’ve seen this thing before.
What? Where?
This morning. In…um, in a dream.
What…?
Ha ha ha…seriously? Are you still half-asleep? This is ridiculous!
I-I’m not asleep!
If you were that tired you should’ve slept in!
You were the one who woke me up!

Nay, however, seemed interested in hearing more about Delta’s earlier dream. I guess the dream sequence is a winner, let me note that down real quick.

I don’t really remember, but…Sarly was there.
Stop that. Sarly is…
That’s enough, Cass. Why don’t you call PLASMA to come get rid of this machine and help these people?
Right. Sure.
Delta, I want you to tell me as much about your dream as you can remember.
Okay. …Cass and I were in some place I’d never seen before.
She kept saying stuff I didn’t understand, so I just kind of ignored it. We got to this locked room…
What happened then?
There was a machine in there, like that one, and Sarly…
Did she say anything?
Something about helping her, and…big hands…?
Hmm.
Okay, I think I got it. Would you mind coming back with me? After Cass cools off a bit…
I don’t mind, but I think she might.
Why?
She kept grumbling about how his was her day off.
Hm…? Oh, yes, it was. Okay, I’ll send someone to pick you both up some other time.
Fine by me.
And I’ll make sure you get a reward for what you did today too. See you then!

Some other time, at PLASMA Headquarters…

Hey, I’m the one getting jerked around here.
Details! This place is so formal and stiff, though. I hate it.
Well you won’t have to suffer long. Just white-knuckle it.
Ugh…
PLASMA Troop A: The Divine Empress awaits. Please, enter.

Video- “Divine Meeting”

Watch

Being called for a meeting with the people in charge is less impressive when you actually know them. Then it turns into a huge argument when you make one little crack about them getting lost all the time, so touchy.

Casty Rianoit, Delta Lantanoil, you have served us well.
Your valor is deserving of a reward.
Th-Thank you very much.
There is something further I wish to ask of you.
Is this a royal request from Her Majesty?
You may view it that way if you prefer.
After telling us they would soon return, we lost contact with our engineer sent to infiltrate Quanturv.
Was this engineer Sarly…?

It seemed their friend Sarly really was missing and they were to go find her.

Wait, you mean Delta too?
The Prime Minister will furnish you with details, but in short we mean to hire him. As a mercenary.
What?!
…Ahem.
Uh, he’s already been kicked out of PLASMA once, and he, uh…
Is there a problem?
…No, just…
I’m honored by the offer, Divine Empress, but I’ve got a restaurant back in the city, so…
Your business will be seen to. You needn’t worry.
Ugh… Thanks.
Delta Lantanoil.
Yes?
PLASMA has neither forgotten nor forgiven your transgression. Remember that.
This task is a chance for you to prove your loyalty to Felion. I look forward to seeing you do so.
…Sure.

Mmm? What did Delta do? We haven’t gotten there yet, just wait.

What was?
I just…well, I never thought I’d be working for PLASMA again.
You aren’t. You’re a mercenary.
Same difference.
No it’s not!
Really?
…You understand what this mission’s about, right?
Yeah. Sarly dropped off the radar, we’re supposed to find her.
That’s the official description, yeah.
Wait, there’s more?
Are you really that dumb?!
PLASMA thinks you might work for the Sharl. This mission is a test!
…Huh. Guess I can’t really blame them.
That doesn’t explain why you’re coming with me though.
Quanturv is an enemy stronghold.

It seems that by being close to Delta, Cass had also suffered some problems due to whatever it is he’d done.

What? Why not?
Well, I haven’t been paired up, even though I’m a Genomis.
Why not? Are they shorthanded or something?
No, I…I don’t want a new partner.
Why?
That’s… Look, the point is we’re trouble, so they’re trying to get rid of us.
Nay wouldn’t do that.
Not everyone in PLASMA thinks like Nay.
Hm. Yeah, I guess you’re right.
…Let’s just get going, okay? I’m worried about Sarly.
Hey, Cass?
What?
You know I’ve got your back, right? Whatever happens at Quanturv, I promise I’ll protect you.
Wh-Where’d this come from?! Of course you will, that’s your job!
…Right. Yeah.
So c’mon, let’s go!
Fine. How’re we getting there?
We’ll have to pass through the Power and Residential districts, so let’s get to the Power District.

Before they could leave, Delta had a terrible premonition.

Huh? What is it? Is something wrong?
I just got the weirdest feeling… Like something’s happening at my restaurant…
What? Come on, that’s just your imagination.
No, no, something’s happening! Let’s just stop by and check, okay?

Delta’s worries were founded, though, as something was indeed happening.

What the…?
Oh, hey there guys! Did you forget something?
N-Nay? What are you doing?
Working here, obviously. What do you think? Looks pretty good, right?
Yeah, not bad at…wait, what are you doing working in my restaurant?!
Well, I couldn’t just leave it empty until you got back, so I thought I’d help out.
Here, look, I made a whole new menu!
System Message: Obtained Recipe “Nay’s New Menu”!
What..?
A recipe for my new menu! I was just thinking about making it, you know, to try it out.
Oh! Why don’t you help me? Then you can eat it before you leave.
What do you mean help? This is MY restaurant!
Just calm down, okay? She gave you a new recipe, why don’t you give it a shot?
The only other thing on your menu was that rice anyway.
Yeah, I know, it’s just…
Good! It’s decided! Now let’s get to work!

Feinne’s Notes:
Synthesis is back, and works basically like it did in AT2. You go to the appropriate shop and if you’ve got the items you need you can make a thing. There are some wrinkles to the system that I’ll mention when we get a bit farther into the game and really understand how it works, the big thing you need to know is that synthesis is how you get basically 100% of your stuff in this game, both equipment and consumables. Oh, and of course the chats on the items as you synthesize them are back, and also watch this video below, I hope the accompanying screenshot is enough to indicate why you might want to do that.

Video- “Synthesis, Food with Nay/Delta/Cass”

Watch

And like I said before nobody who understands the first thing about food ever opens restaurants it’s really weird.

That smells really good. I think my stomach’s growling.
I know, right?
Hmm… But what’s this feeling? There’s something different about the smell compared to regular sukiyaki…
Isn’t that because it’s Nay’s original recipe? Mind if I have a taste?
Go ahead, try it while it’s hot.
Alright! I’m gonna dig right in!
Hey, wait Delta! That’s not fair…
URGH!?
D-Delta, what’s wrong!?
…T-there’s this really crunchy texture and sweetness in my mouth…
Wait, why’s there fish in sukiyaki!?
Well, I wanted to change it up from regular sukiyaki, so I replaced the meat with fish.

At least this story has someone other than me suffering from it.

Wait a second, this faint smell… Is this coconut milk!?
Cass, you’re right on the money! I’m surprised you noticed through all the sukiyaki sauce.
Why wouldn you put something like that in here!? Shouldn’t it be obvious that doesn’t go with this!?
I made it different. This flavor and texture are things you don’t have with normal sukiyaki, right?
Yeah, you’re right… It’s something I never want to put in my mouth again.
I think it would be better to call this Sukiyucky than sukiyaki.

That does sound more like real food than some of the things I’ve seen made, though.

A good fit for a restaurant whose previous entire menu was ‘pile of salty rice’.

Nonsense, you just have to chew it a little. You can get used to anything if you eat enough of it.
Huh…?

Oh, um, in case it wasn’t clear before, Nay is the Divine Empress.

All the people around here know me as Nay, they don’t know I’m the Divine Empress too.
That’s not really the issue…
Besides, I always wanted to run my own restaurant.
So I get to live my dream, and you guys don’t have to worry about the restaurant. Two birds, one stone!
Aaaaaaaaaah!
Wh-What happened?!
M-My sign…

I really have to approve of this play, just going in and putting your mark on things. It’s a good power move.

Oh, that old thing. It was so boring. I got you a new one!
You changed it completely! You can’t just put your name on someone else’s restaurant!
Hey, I think you’re being a little harsh. You can always change it back later.
You nailed it up!
I mean, it’s practically part of the wall now!
…No, I take that back, it IS part of the wall! I’d have to take this wall out to get rid of it!
You’re exaggerating.
N-Nay, you didn’t hire Delta to go to Quanturv so you could take over his restaurant, did you…?
…What?
N-No, of course not. I would never do something so clever and perfectly-executed!
Oh no…
Dammit!
Look, you don’t need to worry about the restaurant. I’ll take care of everything! It’ll be fine!
You just need to focus on finishing your mission. I want to know what’s happening out there, so hurry.

As is getting other people to do your busywork.

Honestly, I’ve kind of been letting the Prime Minister manage PLASMA.
My job is to make sure all of our citizens are doing okay, and I like to do that on a personal basis.
As Nay the Gale, of course.
Things are rough right now, I know, but once we get everyone inside the Barrier, we’ll be safe from the Sharl.
I’ll do whatever it takes to make that happen.
Nay…
Dammit! This sign isn’t budging! Hnnnnnngh!

And then the right finisher for a conversation you don’t want to be having, changing the subject to something they don’t want to talk about.

Wait, that would mean I’d need to connect my heart to his!
Well of course. You’ll need to if you’re going to be partners.
No! No way! I can’t chain with him! He’ll see everything!
All the other Genomis Chain their hearts to their partners.
You understand, right? Genomis weave Song Magic through the world in their hearts. Through Genometrics.
I-I know! I just…
I’m not trying to suggest anything here.
All I’m saying is that we don’t know what’s going to happen, and you should be prepared.
It’s not that simple. I don’t want someone else digging around in my heart.
Nobody’s going to see very far without going into the depths of your Genometrics.
…I don’t think the two of you would be able to go very deep right now anyway.

Well, it’s up to you, of course. I’m only saying it’ll be dangerous out there, so be prepared.
…Okay.
In the meantime, I hope you enjoy Bistro “Nay au Francais”!
Ah no… The nail broke off… Gah!

That’s all for tonight, we’ll pick this up next time with the Genometrics. Which is like a Dive. I think.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Trust Issues

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Argas posted:

The shoulders remind me of the linkage armor from AT1 and AT3.

Hope they cover just what Delta did to piss off the authority soon.

We'll be finding out quite soon what Delta did.

Auraboks posted:

This loving game. I wanted to like it, I really did, but it just kept doing things wrong! The lack of pants is just the beginning. Qoga might have had me slam my head against the wall a few times because of all the :japan:, but Nosurge made me hate myself for playing it.

At least the music is still awesome.

No I can totally agree this game isn't for everyone, though the LP nicely insulates you the viewer from it.

Tomorrow I'll probably have some Ar Tonelico trivia questions to entertain, with the Dive likely coming on Thursday because it's a bit long.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Wow, so they got ahead of the game and just introduced localization errors into the game from the start. Clever girl.

Update's probably coming tomorrow, though I could always feel all super motivated and try to chug it out late today. I'm also working on the first in a series of Ar Tonelico trivia questions for you guys to ponder over, probably later today.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Feinne, I can't let this stand. You didn't turn on the jp dub for the synthesizing part! They cut out the vocals for some reason which makes it even weirder.

I can get a version with vocals at some point, I actually didn't realize there were such things since I always play with the english voices.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

I can do that for you, I played through the game with the JP dub. The most annoying thing is the heroines CONSTANTLY spout things during battle, im pretty sure thats not the case with the english dub. The field chat is also silent in the dubbed version.

They do say things in battle, but it didn't feel like it was particularly more than AT1 or 2. Also fun fact if you cause enough inclination shift while Diving (which is SUPER easy to do entirely on accident with the DLC) you actually change the stuff they say (at least in the English dub so I'd also assume in the original).

I'll probably get to show this off just as a matter of course because just doing all of Cass' dive content including her DLC one I'm pretty sure does put her past a threshold for different combat dialog.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Its a super secret that she's the empress, it happened at the end of Ciel pretty much.

Yeah, as few as single digit people know that Nay's the Divine Empress now. I don't want to get too much more into it though because the Ciel Nosurge summary can very easily flow into accidental spoilers of stuff that happens later in Ar Nosurge.

Also we will just have to see whether the Prime Minister is shady or not.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 8, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Ah, figured this would happen at some point. This is a good game, even though the first few hours of it try very hard to convince you otherwise.

Feinne, if you want a rip of the script, the file format is the same as AT3's so that would be pretty easy to put together. Texture rips, too.

Couldn't hurt, would let me show off things like talk topics I might miss and get some idea which syntheses are worth doing a certain thing with.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

booksnake posted:

I expected no less.

But Cass had better get the gently caress developed out of her character soon because right now she's just sending all the tsundere signals and while I expected :japan:, I really don't want to have to deal with that particular lovely archetypal bullshit it has

Cass is really pretty cool long term and this early part of the game is probably the worst time for her acting like that, though we'll also be getting some pretty good reasons why she's doing so soon.

And on a related topic that Lady Cloche is great and I added it to the OP Tarezax.

EDIT: New plan, the Dive is like 650 screens long so I'm going to split it into two updates. I'm actually going to try and get the front end done tonight instead of trivia, we'll see how that goes.

DOUBLE EDIT: I AM IN HELL AND THIS DIVE IS THE DEVIL. I'm still thinking I'll get this done tonight but it's kind of kicking my rear end right now.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 8, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Okay, story time again. As I recall, they were about to head to some kind of weird Ra Cielan equivalent of a Dive Shop. Let’s go with that, yeah.

Thanks…
Bios Shop: Oh, hello Ms. Casty! It’s been a long time! How have you been? Have you changed your mind?
No, It’s not like that…I’ve been seeing more combat lately, and thought I could expand my mind…
Bios Shop: Well, you were something of an exception among the Genomis, fighting with only one Song Magic!
Ugh… Stop it, you’re embarrassing me!
Bios Shop: There are a lot of people who admire your chivalrous spirit, Ms. Casty.
Still, it never hurts to have a little variety at your disposal.
So it looks like you finally decided to get together with Mr. Delta!
I told you, it’s not like that! I haven’t given Delta my heart or my body yet!
Bios Shop: Well, everyone SAYS that. Don’t worry, you’re always welcome here!
Ugh… This is why I didn’t want to come here.
H-hey, Cass, sorry to interrupt, but…

I suppose I should bring this up, Delta has been recently suffering some memory problems. Just remember that.

You forgot THAT?
Bios Shop: Well, that’s understandable, Mr. Delta hasn’t been to a Bios shop in over a year, right?
No need to worry. I’m happy to explain!
I don’t like this…
Bios Shop: What are you talking about?! I’ve even got diagrams!
Now, let’s begin.
Users of Song Magic, like Ms. Casty, weave songs within their hearts.
Song Magic is made up of powerful emotions and thoughts, like happy or sad memories, strong beliefs, etc…
In other words, it’s the embodiment of “Thought Energy.”
But it’s not easy to find: It’s nearly impossible to recognize your true nature from your own memories.
That’s why you need another person’s help. You’d be showing them your heart, though, so it’s not easy to do.
You have to trust someone to weave Song Magic with them, like the two of you.
Mr. Delta will enter Ms. Casty’s heart, and poke around inside.
That will allow you to see events in the past more clearly, and help you find Thought Gems inside your heart.

This is all secondhand but their technology seems to work a bit differently than ours, though the core idea is the same.

Bios Shop: Unfortunately, it’s never simple. Your heart will resist, and Mr. Delta will be rejected many times.
Looking into someone’s heart means seeing their greatest secrets and embarrassments…
…And they’ll see everything else you might try and hide from them.
Naturally, nobody wants anyone to see these things, but they are where Thought Gems are found.
As your relationship deepens, your trust in one another will grow…
And together you can weave the most powerful Song Magic—the Song Magic hidden deep in your heart.

So, um, how to explain this? Normally people you know make cameo appearances in a Dive to represent parts of the world. I think somehow the way they do things those are sometimes part of the actual person and not you or something.

Bios Shop: By creating a Chain with the heart of a close friend, you can receive Song Magic from them.
I’ll explain more when the time comes.
That should cover everything. Did you understand all of it?
Yeah, I think I got it.
So you’re saying I need to go inside Cass’s heart and find the stuff that embarrasses her?
You didn’t understand it at all!
Wait, really…?
Argh… We’re doomed, aren’t we.

Feinne’s Notes:
Diving in its basic mechanics (collect Dive Points from fighting things, spend them to view scenes/within scenes, profit) is the same as it ever was. There are some new wrinkles, though. First off, doing certain things in a Dive will reward us with Thought Gems, the use of which I’ll discuss in a later update. Second, and pursuant to there being collectibles, we can actually revisit scenes as many times as we want as long as we’ve got the Dive Points to do it. Third, and as noted by the Bios Shop guy, most of these Dives will actually be the result of Chaining with a third party. This will add some interesting wrinkles to some later Dives. For now, though, our only accessible world is one of Casty’s own.

I guess that’s not more awkward than what we do? Anyway, the world inside a person is really weird.

Cass and that store clerk said something about doing it before… But I don’t think I’ve been here.
Huh!? Wait… Where’s Cass?
Heeeeey! Cass! Where’d you go!?

Strange… Am I here on my own right now…?
???: Don’t worry. Cass is here, too.
!? Who’s there!?

Especially when you realize how much seems to live there.

Huh!? Y-You! You’re the one who showed up in my dreams…
Correct.
My name is Prime. At least, that’s the name you’ve given me.
I did…? But, I’ve only seen you in my dreams, and I don’t remember naming anyone…
You named me with your subconscious. I don’t know if you know the reason, though…
That doesn’t matter right now. Where’s Cass? If you know, tell me!
You really have forgotten everything about Genometrics, haven’t you…? Alright, let me teach you.
Y-Yeah…
And actually, Cass IS here. Everything you see around you that isn’t me is “Cass”…
You’re inside her mind right now. In other words, you’ve been taken in by her…
I-I see… So it’s like she ate me?!
Well that’s a rather crude analogy, but if it helps you grasp the situation, I suppose it works.
There’s a variety of manifestations of her in this world… They represent her mental discord.
For example, there’s a cake in front of her. She’ll want to eat it, but not gain weight.
Inside a Soulscape, all those thoughts exist as Cass.
Wow… That’s a lot to take in.

You might think you shouldn’t trust some total idiot to poke around in your head until you get magic powers but it’s really just picking the right idiot, er, partner.

Yeah, you got me there. So, what should I do?
The reason you’re here is to create strong Song Magic with Cass, correct?
For that to happen, you need to move her heart and mind in a big way…
Song Magic is a by-product of thoughts and feelings… The stronger the emotion, the stronger the magic.
And, as I’m sure you know, people are weaker when they’re alone.
When one criticizes another, it can make them angry, but also make them think. Has that ever happened to you?
Yeah. Story of my life.
The effect is multiplied in the Soulscape… The next steps are how sincere you can be to her.
Yeah… I think I’m getting it now. So I’m supposed to make my way around this world, right?
…Yes, well… That’s a start. I’m afraid about what’s gonna happen, but that’s how you learn, I suppose…
Well, do your best, and try to develop her appropriately.
Cass has immense strength deep down… But the mental burdens she carries are blocking it.
You’re the only one who can free it.
R-Right…
Well then, hopefully we’ll meet again.
Huh? You’re not coming with me!?
I’ll always be in this world… If I think you need me, I’ll appear again.
Alright… Well, time to explore Cass’s mind!

Definitely said partner, don’t give me that look. Ahem. Thought gems, boy, that’s a weird thing right?

Hm? What’s this ball of light?
That’s a thought gem… In this world, it appears when emotions are strong.
Okay… So… What do I do with it?
You don’t have to do anything. It’s not like you can really use it in this world…
When you return to reality, however, you should receive a special “gift”. You can look forward to that.

Feinne’s Notes:
Let’s quickly look at the dive interface just for the sake of understanding.

Areas with a yellow star have events we can currently access. Stars with a red ‘x’ through them are currently locked either because we have not seen the pre-requisite scene or have an insufficient Dive Level. Dive Level goes up by completing Dives, and is just the game’s way of gating us out of certain things until certain points in the plot. Entering scenes costs Dive Points, and we can also be required to pay them within it. We can also see here the potential rewards we can get out of the scene, such as Thought Gems, Songs, and Event Stills. Generally Songs only come from the final scene of a Dive, and Event Stills are the reward for dropping big DP on some choice.

Dives are all about symbolism, so try and think about what the different things Delta ran into might mean.

It looks like Felion, but it’s… Slightly different?
Hmmm? What’s that sound?
???: Watch out!!
Wha-!?
Waaaaaaaaaaah!
What the hell? Something exploded!?
???: Hey, are you alright? Are you hurt at all?

That’s kind of where things get confusing really, because you’re running into bits and pieces of someone’s real thoughts.

…And you’re… DELTA!?
Hey, what the hell are you doing here!?
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Angry Cass]!
Umm, I came here with you! Remember?
Don’t worry… I’ll help you progress in the right way…
Watch out!!
Waaaaaaah!
What the…!? They’re…Sharl?
Obviously! We’re in the middle of a war, in case you haven’t noticed!
Sharl A: We’ve found the commander!
Sharl B: Let’s bring her back.
Crap… I came out in such a hurry that I don’t have any weapons… This is all your fault!
This really isn’t the time! We need to do something about them…

Feinne’s Notes:
Our first choice is actually pretty significant, because the free option will in fact kick us the gently caress out. This game’s Dive content is designed to require a bit more thought and will consequence you more than previous games for being a dumbass. If we had 3k to burn, that would get us an Event Still. I’ll pick that up later, it’s kind of pricy for now.

Getting in fights in someone else’s mind is rarely a good idea unless you’re absolutely sure they think you’re going to win.

What’re you doing! Hurry…!
Grah! This is a huge disgrace… But it’s my only option right now!!
FULL SPEED RETREAT!
Eeeeeek!
Whew… Looks like we managed to get away somehow. Thank goodness…
Don’t “Thank goodness” me! What the hell are you doing here!?
I came here with you to weave new Song Magic, so we went into this thing called Genometrics, and…
What’re you talking about!? I have no idea what you mean!
You’re in my way! You get it!? Please, just… Don’t bother me! I’m having a crisis here!
H-hey, wait… Just calm down. The reason I’m here at all is to…
Just hurry up and leave!
…!?
If you show yourself to me again, I’m NOT holding back!
H-Hey! Cass!
…What’s with her?

Still, he was either really lucky or better at this than most, because he didn’t even get kicked out in the first five minutes of his first Dive like someone I could mention.

How’s it going? Were you able to see Cass?
I was, but… It’s like she doesn’t even know she’s inside her own Genometrics…
Well, of course not. That’s just one “aspect” of her inside her mind.
Okay…
Now… I think it’s time you understood your role here.
Once you do, you’ll see the true version of Cass… And the problem in this world.
Once you solve that problem, you’ll get Song Magic for her! Good luck!
Man… It’s a lot of work to get new Song Magic, isn’t it?
If it was easy, everyone would be a master of Song Magic by now…
Heh, I guess so.

Anyway Delta pursued the Cass he had met earlier to a goofy secret base.

It doesn’t matter! We’re evacuating all of our forces. HURRY!
Huh? Is Cass back there or something…?

Anyway like I said, in a Dive people you know in real life tend to make cameos. In this case, the person they had just been sent to look for.

What!? You can’t be serious. We clearly don’t!
While we waste our time here, the Hollow Warrior on the hill could attack!
N-Now, now Cass… Why don’t you calm down a little?
I’m NOT mad!
…Hey, you…? You’re still here!? I thought I told you to never come back…
Commander… Is this strange man your husband? Or your lover?
Catty… That question didn’t make sense.
A-Anyway, we shouldn’t be fighting, right? I mean, just looking at the situation, it seems pretty grim.
I keep insisting I can help her, but she’s pretty stubborn, as you know. Sarly, can’t you convince her?
Sarly…? Who’s that? My name is Sergeant Catty… What a mistake to make.
Wha-!? You mean you two were serious…? Okay, in that case… Sergeant Catty, can you let me join?
Yes, that’s actually not a bad idea… We could use a little more brawn around here.
Wow, you sure don’t mince your words, do you?
Wait a sec, Catty! It all seems too good to be true. This guy must be a spy from the empire!
Ahahaha, no. That’s definitely not possible.
Shut up! Besides… Who the hell do you think you are!? Showing up out of nowhere saying you’ll train me?
T-Train…!? When did I say this!?
Anyway, you’re not welcome. I suggest you leave immediately. If you don’t, I’ll have to elevate our measures.

Feinne’s Notes:
Leaving is a rather obvious bad call here, tantamount to saying we want to leave the Soulscape.

Diving is definitely not for people who give up easily.

…I see. In that case, I’ll make you regret ignoring my warnings.
Catty… Throw this man into the brig!
Wha-!? B-But…
You can’t obey my orders!? Then perhaps you should join him…
O-Okay, I will… You leave me no choice.
Sorry, don’t hold this against me.
H-hey! You can’t be serious…

Also not for people who can’t handle a little bit of being hurled into some prison in someone’s head.

…You’re not leaving me here, are you!?

Heeeey! Cass! Catty!
…PRIME!
… * Sigh * She said she’d show up if I needed her… And I need her now. Hah, where is she!?
Man… Does this mean I can’t wake up from this dream, either…?
In complete limbo…
Oh? Someone’s coming… Is that you Prime? Or Catty…?

Usually you should just trust that events are moving forward and you needed to be there.

Sharloon: Quiet! I’m Sharloon from the Dere Empire. I’m here to rescue you.
System Message: Obtained the thought gem [Tsun Kingdom Dere Empire]!
The Dere Empire…? What a weird name. Doesn’t matter, you saved me. You’re a pretty good lock-pick.
Sharloon: No, actually… I just turned the knob. I would say this utter lack of security shows a lack of confidence.
Is that really how this works…?
Sharloon: Not right now. You need to come with me… In order to save this world, we need your power.
H-hey! I still have no idea what’s going on here… Could you PLEASE at least explain the basics?
Sharloon: I will, but first we have to escape. I’ll explain everything outside.

As long as part of you actually wants them there, things usually sort themselves out.

Sharloon: Right now, there’s a war going on between two countries… The Tsun Kingdom and the Dere Empire.
You were just captured by the Tsun Kingdom. We, on the other hand, live in the Dere Empire.
The two countries have always been at odds, but since the Hollow Warrior appeared… It’s escalated.
Wait, the Hollow Warrior… Do you mean that huge version of me? That thing moves!?
Sharloon: I suspect it doesn’t move, but…
The Tsun Kingdom believes that Hollow Warrior is our empire’s weapon of mass destruction, resulting in war…
But you guys didn’t put it there, right? I mean, in reality… Why not just tell them that?
Sharloon: We’ve tried to open diplomatic negotiations time and time again, but the Tsun Kingdom won’t listen.
I don’t think we can resolve this on our own… Which is where you come in. You’re the savior!
Man, finally time for someone who actually understands English. Yes, I’m here to help Cass’s Song Magic…
Sharloon: Huh…? I’m not sure what you mean, but I understand you wish to see our empress.
I will now grant you an audience to see her grace, Cassulu the Great. Please, come to our castle.
H-hey, what the heck’s going on here!?
Sharloon: We will be waiting!

Of course that doesn’t mean there won’t be a whole lot of running around.

Hehe, it seems the gears are finally turning.
H-hey, you ! What the hell took you so long!? Why didn’t you save me when I was captured?
I will save you if it is necessary… I didn’t this time, because it wasn’t.
But still… The more I hear about this world, the less I understand. Is Cass okay in the head…?
Of course she is! Everyone’s mind is like this on some level.
Besides, any actions that might seem incomprehensible right now have a deeper meaning. That’s Genometrics.
Right… So, I guess that’s that, then.
I’ve told you, you need to immerse yourself in this world to understand what Cass really wants to say.
Although the path seems like a long and treacherous one… I believe in you.

Delta took up the offer to drop in on the Dere Empire. That is such a terrible name, it hurts to say it.

Sharloon: We’ve been expecting you, Delta.
Sharluneli: Expecting you! Her Grace, Cassulu the Great awaits!
R-Right…
???: Delta! You finally came for me!!

It was, of course, another Cass.

Hehehe, you’re embarrassing me. When’d you start calling me by the adorable nickname “Cass”? Like we’re lovers…
Huuuuuuh? What the heck are you talking about?
Aww, you’re so bashful. I love you when you get all shy like that, Delta.
I-I think I’m feeling dizzy…
Sharloon: Your grace! This is no time to be going soft. You need to brief him.
I do…? What a shame. * Sniff *
Sharluneli: But at this rate, Delta may never be able to come visit you here again.
You’re right… I suppose we can save the fun times for after our conversation. Right?
Sharloon: Yes, that’s perfectly fine.
Umm… Do I get any say in this?
Yaaay! Aww, I’m so happy. Now, let’s get down to business!
Yeah… I think I’m about to faint from this excessive gap…
Listen closely, Delta. I hate to spring this onto you, but this world is on the brink of destruction.
Unless we end this meaningless battle, Cass from the Tsun Kingdom will never let you enter this world. Ever.
Really!? But you’re Cass too, right? So, would it really matter if that “un-cute” Cass didn’t let me in?
Oh? Then, does that make me the “cute” Cass?! Ohh, that makes me so happy… I feel all tingly!

This sort of thing happens more often than you’d think.

But this world is also the entrance to various other worlds… Think of that Cass as the gatekeeper to everything.
In other words, you won’t be able to come to our world either, Delta. Do you see the gravity of our situation?
Y-Yeah… Sorta.
And if that happens, all those things I’ve wanted to do with you… Like thiiiis… Or thaaaat… Hehe…
I couldn’t do any of it! * sniff *
I-I see, well that would be a problem. I guess we need to do something…
RIGHT!? I knew you’d understand.
So, what exactly are we doing again?
We need to get her to change her mind… And end this war.
You’re telling me we need to make amends with the Tsun Cass.
Exactly! Aww, my Delta. I’m so glad you’re a smart one.

The reason we’ve “climbed” all the way up here… But in the end, we butted heads and didn’t go anywhere.
We need to do something before the Hollow Warrior fires off his beam cannon! Then we’re really doomed.

A tip, when there’s a giant monster version of you inside someone’s heart, something’s the matter.

What you saw there are the bonds to the world that are holding Cass back.
The bonds…?
Precisely. Whether or not that foul creature fires off a beam is entirely up to the Cass in Tsun Kingdom.
Wow… Sounds complicated.
That’s what’s going on here… So please, could you convince the Cass in Tsun Kingdom to change her mind?
Wait, I have to!? Couldn’t you guys approach her? Wouldn’t that make more sense?
No, we can’t… That would be the equivalent of us retreating. And then this world would close once again.
Okay, well, I think I get it… But no matter what I tell her, she just puts up a barrier. I can’t get through.
Well, of course… In that kingdom, they speak Tsun-anese.
Wh-What the heck is Tsun-anese…?
Delta, don’t tell me you’ve never heard of it and you were still talking to her? You need a translator…
That’s it! I’ve got something perfect for you. Sharloon, bring it over here, please!
Sharloon: Yes, understood!

Yeah I’m not going to say this thing’s name, I’m just going to write it down.

Sharloon: This little girl is “Tsunderain”, and she understands both Tsun-anese, and Dere-lish.
Dere…lish?
Dere-lish is the language of my country. Isn’t it lovely, Delta?
Y-Yeah… Now that you mention it…
I guess the only strange thing about it, is that Cass is speaking it… But when taken at face value, it’s nice.
Right? So please… Can you do something about Cass?
Then, afterwards… We can do some REALLY naughty things. Or, I suppose, we could do it right now?

Feinne’s Notes:
If we spend 7k here, we get an Event Still and then are kicked the gently caress out. We don’t have that, though, so it’ll have to wait for a later time.

Another tip, if a second version of your partner shows up and starts hitting on you it’s best to say no.

System Message: Obtained the thought gem [Exciting Temptation]!
Aww, you’re so adorable when you try to act tough. Gosh, how I love you.
W-Well then, I’ll be going now!

This is only the beginning. If you’re surprised by this, I don’t suggest you dive any deeper.
By the way, serious talk… What’s with that HUGE version of me that looks like he’s about to collapse?
Um, I think it’s irrefutably you?
No, that’s not what I… I’m asking, what purpose does it serve?
That, I do not know.
But this, I can say for certain… You, as you currently stand, pose as an obstacle to Cass.
Which is, I’m afraid, exactly what you need to solve.
…I see.

Delta and the thing with the bad name returned to the other Cass.

H-Hey, Delta? This isn’t good… Cass is looking all over for you!
There you are! Where do you think you’re going!?
I found you! You disappeared all of a sudden… I was so lonely!
…Wha-!? You’re joking…
Who the hell is this supposed to be!? Don’t bring weird people into my base!
How dare you bring another woman home… The nerve!
W-Wow… So this is a translation into Derelish…?
Is this… An interpreter!? My, this is fascinating.
Argh! How dare you interrupt me!
You’re supposed to talk to me… And only me.
Hey now, why don’t you just hear me out?
Cass, that Hollow Warrior? Don’t worry about him. He won’t attack… So let’s make amends with the Empire.
Delta, you’re being tricked! Just leave me alone. Get out of here! You don’t know anything about this world!
It’s dangerous for you here… Please, I don’t’ want my Delta to be in danger.
If you don’t leave, I’ll throw you into the brig again!
I can’t protect you, but I want to be by your side. It would make me feel better if you were secure in the safe.

Though I do know some people who could use one of these things.

It’s all true, I swear! Please, Delta… Don’t be misled by my words, and realize my true feelings!
…Uhh… I can’t do this anymore. I hate you, Delta…
I’m so embarrassed… You knowing how I feel, it’s… What if you hate me now… * sniff *
Whooooooooa there, stop, stop. You can stop now, Tsunderain…
Understood.
AAAHHH! I can’t contain it anymore. I have to know more about her… I’m gonna do some research!
Wha-!? Hey…! Tch, I still don’t get her, even in this world…
* sob sob * I hate you… Delta…
Cass, don’t cry. I’m not going to hate you, alright?
It’s not like I’m worried about you hating me… Or anything… * sniff *
Why don’t you tell me more about yourself and your country. I might be able to help, you know?
…O-Okay.
This country used to be peaceful, until about six months ago.

Delta, now, has referred to what exactly he did that has led to his problems. Six months before the story, he lowered the Barrier around Felion briefly.

Six months ago, the Hollow Warrior appeared out of nowhere and the Dere Empire invaded at the same time.
I see…
The Dere Empire’s trying to bring our country to its knees with that monster. That’s why we must defeat it!
But I don’t know if we can defeat it… Which is why we’re doomed.
Hey, calm down here. Alright, there’s one thing I can say for sure. The Hollow Warrior isn’t their weapon.
You lie! How can that be true?
Trust me on this one!
Do you honestly expect me to trust you? After all these lies? I knew it! You’re a spy for the Dere Empire!
Man… This conversation isn’t going anywhere…

Feinne’s Notes:
For once both answers let you stay in the Soulscape, but getting pissed about how she’s acting will also get you a Thought Gem.

I’m kind of impressed by how much crap he took before he lost it.

Eek!
I play nice, and you go on and say whatever you want? Who the hell do you think you are!?
Do you have any idea how much I worry about you!? DO YOU?
How the heck could I!?
Maybe I should show you what I mean… Physically.
Eek! Okay, okay… I get it, Please forgive me.
Then, apologize!
I’m sor…
Can’t hear you!
I’m… Sorry…
System Message: Obtained the thought gem, [Lust for Conquest]!
See? That wasn’t so bad, was it?
…Ahh…
Cass, don’t get me wrong. That’s how much I care about you, okay?
How much you…?

Though, well, he didn’t necessarily get what was going on in the world yet.

I want to protect you… I’ll never lie.
I’m gonna defeat that Hollow Warrior, I promise. So you have to trust me.
…That’s impossible.
Why!?
B-Because…
Eek!

If it was always enough to just display a bunch of sincere feeling, Diving would be easy.

Commander! We have an emergency… The Hollow Warrior has started its attack!
Wha…?
Wh-What did you just say!?
Sergeant Catty!! Send all of our troops to the hill of ruins!
Ma’am!
…I should’ve known better than to trust you. How foolish… GOD I HATE YOU!
H-Hey, Cass!
…What the hell’s going on here?

For the answer to that question, though, you kids will just have to wait for next time.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: The Hollow Warrior

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

So, are all the sharl half naked fairies? I thought they were going to be space ghosts from the intro. Right now this all seems very...stupid, if I'm being generous.

Most sharl look like that, yes. It will make more sense when we learn what they are and where they're coming from.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

It doesn't really matter why they look like that in the story. Its stupid because the designers decided to make them look like that in the first place. I'm trying to give this game a chance but these designs are complete trash so far. I guess my tolerance for :japan: isn't high enough for this.

Well, outside of the couple of Dives they're in (I'm not sure the generic ones show up again in Cass's Dives honestly) at least you won't really have to look that close at the generic Sharl models, so there's that.

I'm going to bring up a plus side to this Dive, this is probably the weakest one in the game by a wide margin and once we get to the payoff it's still actually pretty decent.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 9, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

HR12345 posted:

I may consider getting this off the PSN or even Gamefly. Before I do, are there any big glitches that'll screw the game up?

There was something some people ran into but it was avoidable and has since been patched.

So, since it matters more to you the readers a brief poll:

After this Dive, I've actually got two possible things I can do. What I actually DID was see a bunch of scenes with Nay at the restaurant so I could unlock some syntheses. However, I have recorded plenty enough of our rescue mission for an update or two. So, a couple of options:

Option A: Just show it as I did it, so after the Dive we'll see a bunch more pretty funny stuff in that side-story, then several updates of plot in a row.

Option B: Skip it for an update in favor of some plot advancement, then weave in updates with that content in between plot updates.

I can make either work, and this issue will be recurring because there is a strong incentive to unlock all the new poo poo every time there in fact is new poo poo (since that's again almost 100% of our sources of new equipment) which means on my end we'll have a bunch of that sort of content all together.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That worked better because by that time, you knew more about the characters and the causes of their problems. Also they did not try to simplify her personality/her problem down to just two syllables.

As we'll see tomorrow, her problem is not actually as simple as it appears. Like this is the first Dive of the game so it doesn't pull some of the mean-spirited poo poo we'll see later on but they put a lot more thought into the overall plots of the Dive content here in Ar Nosurge (and as a result they're in general a lot longer and more elaborate).

And in case it gets missed as the last post of the previous page:

Feinne posted:

So, since it matters more to you the readers a brief poll:

After this Dive, I've actually got two possible things I can do. What I actually DID was see a bunch of scenes with Nay at the restaurant so I could unlock some syntheses. However, I have recorded plenty enough of our rescue mission for an update or two. So, a couple of options:

Option A: Just show it as I did it, so after the Dive we'll see a bunch more pretty funny stuff in that side-story, then several updates of plot in a row.

Option B: Skip it for an update in favor of some plot advancement, then weave in updates with that content in between plot updates.

I can make either work, and this issue will be recurring because there is a strong incentive to unlock all the new poo poo every time there in fact is new poo poo (since that's again almost 100% of our sources of new equipment) which means on my end we'll have a bunch of that sort of content all together.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 9, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Tarezax posted:

Also, since this update confirmed that the short tracks on the Ar Nosurge Hymmnos albums are the song magic activation tracks: I can't wait to see the dives where we get SEXY_METAL_IDOL and I_HAVE_NO_ROYALTY_INCOME

Yeah, so the Genometrics Concert CDs have a bunch of short tracks that are all Hymnn::NAME_HERE that go with the Song Magics when used in battle. Though they are actually missing a couple, including one of the absolute best ones which is weird.

Also, please do remember to opine on whether you'd rather see synthesis/shop stuff in intermittent updates or in dumps where as I actually did them followed by uninterrupted plot.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Apr 9, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

We will be running into someone with pants soon but their suspicious nature will only be reinforced by the fact that they perhaps have TOO MUCH pants.

The best part is with a game like this I could totally be loving with you or this could be god's truth and there's no way for you to know.

EDIT: Looking through the artbook again I will say more people than normal have clothes that you can comprehend how they are put together without like non-Euclidean poo poo happening and your brain growing eyeballs so I'm going to call that a net win. Like shocking numbers of the female cast are wearing things that are pretty tasteful. Just, um, not Nay. And potentially Cass, if you didn't think Neptune was tastefully dressed (they are basically wearing the same thing).

Feinne fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 9, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

I’m pretty sure I stopped at the giant lumbering monster Delta last time, right? Right, let’s pick this back up where we left off.

So like I said, consider what you’ve done when someone else’s inner version of you is a giant monster.

Haha, that face of mine… It just looks too evil to be me. Heh…
Hey, Delta. You came!
Of course! I said I’d defeat it, so here I am. Where’s Cass?
The commander’s not here. Actually, she’s never been to the front lines.
What!? She’s the commander and she hasn’t even seen the front lines?
Commander gets scared pretty easily. She pulls back on battles she can win, and, well… It’s a huge mess.
What happened…? Why’s she so not confident in herself?
Hey, what’s going on here!?
Y-You’re-!
If it isn’t Cassulu the Great! What brings you here?
That’s my line! Why’s the Hollow Warrior moving!?
Whoa-!?
The town’s under attack again… We need to do something to stop it…!
Delta, what the hell did you say to Cass!? If you don’t end this, we’ll be apart FOREVER!
N-Nothing, really… I just told her, “I’m gonna defeat the Hollow Warrior”. That’s all…
Are you SURE?
Yeah, that’s it. And then this guy started attacking us out of nowhere!

You don’t need to be an expert to analyze the symbolism of something like that.

Huh? Understand what!?
Why this guy’s moving…
She’s afraid of him being defeated.
Whaaa!? I have no idea what you mean!
I said this before, but the Hollow Warrior isn’t something we brought. It’s impossible; not from our world…
Which means it has to have been produced in this world. Everything that’s materialized here is from Cass.
So, the Hollow Warrior moving or not moving… It’s all a representation of her state of mind.
I see… But how can you tell she doesn’t want it defeated?
It started moving when you talked about “defeating” it.
Impossible… I mean, she was shocked, right?
Remember, this is inside of her mind…
That girl is an actualization of a part of her mind, but…even deeper still is her subconscious.
This world has been created by that higher tier of Cass…
It’s her thoughts alone that’ll move this world, even if she’s unaware of it…

Though even getting what something means doesn’t really help if you don’t get how to deal with it.

…Then you’ll never be able to enter this world again.
Alright, then I’m gonna go look for Cass.
Take good care of the commander for us.
Yeah, you leave it to me, Sergeant Kitty Ears!
That’s Catty, to you. Don’t get it wrong.
It’s going to be sad going our separate ways… But you’ll find Cass and come right back, right…?
Y-Yeah, you leave it to me!

Also don’t bother asking for too much in the way of help from things like Prime, never really works.

Things are finally getting interesting! It’ll be fun watching you resolve THIS issue. I’ll be watching.
Gah, you make it sound like it’s not your problem…
By the way, is it really gonna make Cass sad if the Hollow Warrior falls…?
I suspect so. The timing of the attack was too good. It must have something to do with what you said.
Cass is probably afraid of something “changing”…

Anyway the Cass from this world was hiding out in the same place Delta was locked up earlier.

This is where you were?
Delta… How did you know where I was?
I searched all over… You weren’t on the hill, and Catty said you were afraid, so… Here we are.
…I see.
Do you spend a lot of time here?
Yeah… When war breaks out, this is usually where I go.
But when I came here the first time, you saved me inside the city, remember?
…Th-That was just a coincidence! You were lucky…
I was really scared, but… I gathered up all my courage to save you, Delta.
N-No that’s-!

…N-Not entirely wrong.
Heh, I see now. Thanks for saving me.

Are you actually afraid of me? Is that why the Hollow Warrior showed up?
You told me it was exactly six months ago, when I took down the Barrier. You’re afraid, right?

Cass’s mixed feelings were pretty well justified.

Six months ago, you opened the Barrier for no reason, and as a result, Felion was almost destroyed.
Even now, you’re saying it’s because you wanted to save Felion. But everyone says you’re a spy.
I… At the very least, I wanted to believe you, but… I don’t have enough proof, so I can’t-!
…I feel bad for putting you in this situation. It’s my fault you’re torn like this.
True, there were a lot of victims, but I don’t think I made the wrong decisions…
Which is why I want to find out the reason behind my actions. I’m not stopping here.
…Stop it! You don’t have to… I’m afraid.
Even if you found an explanation and it’s not as noble as you think… I don’t know if I can recover.
Even then, I’ll figure out what happened. Because…

Feinne’s Notes:
Both free answers are fine, the expensive one gives us an Event Still as with the others. You won’t have ten large at this point unless you crazy grind, don’t do that.

To recap the situation, six months ago Delta lowered the Barrier and the Sharl attacked. He doesn’t remember doing it, much less why he did it, and is suspected of being a spy.

…Delta…
Our current situation isn’t good enough. If we just give up here, how can we trust each other from now on?
Heh, it sounds easy when you think about it… But, if there’s one way to solve this, it’s knowing the truth.
That’s why, no matter what the outcome, I won’t be afraid. I’ll take it head-on.
However the leaves fall, I’ll always believe we did the right thing… For the both of us.
…Okay.
Let’s defeat the Hollow Warrior together. If we combine our strengths, we can do anything.
But he’s really strong… We couldn’t leave a scratch, no matter what we did!
Eeeeeek!
Cass, you okay!?
I’m fine… This is a safe place. I doubt they can get through that easily.
But… He’s definitely trying to find this place.
You think he noticed us? We need to do something, quick… Or he’ll erase us first.
But, how can we defeat him?
I have a suggestion.
You-!? You can talk normally, too…?
Obviously. You shouldn’t underestimate me.
So, you were a tsun-dere after all, too… Heh, I don’t know why I’m surprised. So, what’s your suggestion?

I will maintain none of my Song Magic is as embarrassing as a thing called “Tsunderain”. Oh, that felt awful to say.

Alright! Sounds good… Let’s do it!
H-Hey! Let me finish!
We bring the fight ot him, first! Let’s go, Cass!

Delta! You came back for me! Ohhh, that makes me so happy!
When I saw you on the other side of the hill, my heart skipped a beat.
Hey, you! What the heck do you think you’re saying!? You’re supposed to be me…!!
Yes, I’m you, and you’re me. Now, let’s not get jealous, alright?
That’s the problem! You’re me… And everything you’re saying is super embarrassing!!
Hey Tsunderain, can’t you bust out that bomber thing from earlier?
Hey, stop rushing me!
Get ready for it… Here it goes! There!

They probably should have waited for, um, her to explain what the weapon did, though, because there was a slight issue.

We might actually be able to defeat that guy with this…
It amplifies emotions to crush its opponents. You just have to express how you feel through the mic.
But there’s a problem… This device only reacts to true feelings, nothing superficial.
And no matter what it is, it WILL amplify true intent… Even if that means destroying the world.
And finally, this device can only be used by this world’s ruler…
…Which means you’re the only one who can use it, Cass!
What!? I have to do it!?
Good luck, Cass… Remember our conversation from earlier. We need to defeat this guy and keep going!
…! Y-Yes, I suppose you’re right… Very well.

Cass, GO!

Hey, Cass, what’s the matter!?
Uwaaaaaaaah!
Eeeeeek!
Cass! What’re you doing! Get a grip!
I can’t… I just can’t-!
Because… defeating the Hollow Warrior means… I have to trust you completely, right Delta?
Sorry, I’m just… Not ready for that yet. Even if I scream that into the mic, it just won’t…
Cass…

Feinne’s Notes:
Just encouraging her here isn’t enough, since that’s sort of obviously not going to do anything about her issues trusting Delta. You need to get her to be honest and trust that it’ll turn out okay.

Anyway, he actually did a pretty cool thing in the end.

…Huh?
Because the machine only reacts to honest feelings, there’s no use trying to cover it up, right?
Then just risk it all… And throw your honest feelings at it!
B-But… What if this world rejects you, as a result… Then, I…!
Heh, don’t worry. It’d take a lot more than that to make me leave.
I don’t mean to sound arrogant, but my feelings for you are stronger than yours that want to get rid of me.
Delta… Thanks. I’ll try.
GOOOO!
…Here it goes…
…I just can’t trust you, Delta! I don’t know what goes on in that head of yours!
But I DO want to believe in you! I want to be by your side, too, it’s true! I want to believe you!
But I can’t… So, please! For the time being, stay there and don’t move!!
Please…
…!
…?
…It stopped…?

Cass wished sincerely for things to just stay the way they were for the moment, to give them time to sort things out.

Alright! You did it…! Good job, Cass!
No-!
Huh?
Because we haven’t defeated it yet… We only stopped it temporarily. I’m sure it’ll begin to move again…

Sorry, Delta, everyone… This is the best I can do right now…
I couldn’t defeat him… Because I couldn’t completely believe in you, Delta…
Don’t be stupid. Why are you apologizing? There’s no need for that…
We were able to stop it. That seems like quite the accomplishment to me.
For now…
This brought us a lot of time. Time for the two of us to understand each other.
Exactly… And I don’t think the Hollow Warrior stopping its attack is the only thing that’s changed.
Huh…? Th-That’s…

With the problem solved for the moment, some of the actors broke character.

…Delta…
Hm? What’s up?
I… In order to understand you more, Delta… I thought it would be okay to let you see more…
Of your body!?
No, you idiot! Inside my mind. Gah!
S-So… Let’s go deeper together. Into my mind, and… My heart…
Cass, you’re… But…
I’m scared, too, you know! Of course I’m scared. And I’m still not completely convinced…
…I wasn’t lying when I said I wanted to believe in you, so… I’ll do what I can to muster up the courage.
…Hehe, that makes me happy.
…Really…?
Of course it does. I mean…
The partner I cherish is opening her heart to me. Though it might only be a little right now…
…Hehe, okay. Well, you better be thankful!

Now it was time to finish things up.

The ruler of this world and thoughts has accepted your feelings for each other. It’s called the Embrace Role.
Who’s the ruler of thoughts...? Is it Cass?
No. On each floor of Genometrics, there’s a personification of that floor’s theme.
In this world, the personification was Tsunderain.
S-She was supposed to represent this world!?
Yes… She was the materialization of what must be completed in this world.
The theme was to “organize her feelings towards Delta” and decide where she stands.
And she has decided… To go deeper with you, together…
I see.
Now, let’s travel to “Hymmnofort” before Cass changes her mind!
Why!?
Because we have to perform the ritual to proceed to the next level. Hurry!
O-Okay…!

Feinne’s Notes:
You might notice that there is one more scene that doesn’t seem active. Just keep that in mind, it’ll come up again a fair bit later.

A surprisingly smooth first Dive really.

What’s taking you so long! Ugh… Don’t make us wait.
It’s so lonely here without you!
…Ugh, enough with the translations.
Delta… Thank you. Now, we’re one step closer to seeing my floor.
One step…?
Yup, one step. My floor’s pretty deep, after all.
I-I see…
So, I’m sure we’ll run into a lot more obstacles on our way, but I want you to make it there. Promise?
Y-Yeah… Leave it to me!
Ugh, Delta… Too much talking! Let’s hurry up and get this ritual or whatever over with.
Calm down, Cass… You cannot possibly perform the ritual in your current mental state.
So… What exactly do we have to do?
I know it’s called a ritual, but it’s actually quite easy. You two just need to open this door together.
Wha…? That’s it? Not to mention we can easily walk around this door…
* Sigh * That’s why you’re an idiot. There’s meaning to the ritual and opening the door.
Exactly. By opening this door together, our hearts will mature together, strengthening our bond.
If you can do this, you’ll both be able to travel to a deeper level of mental communication.
Right, okay… Well, in that case, let’s get started, Cass.
…Okay.

Then again, that’s when things are still pretty straightforward.

But, I feel like there are still a lot of reservations on my mind…
Moving forward means I need to face each and everyone one of those problems, and…
Heh, so we’ve got even more problems ahead of us, then? Looks like it’s gonna be a long road.
Would you like to call it quits here for today?
Of course not… This is part of the journey, right? Well, I’m ready for it… As long as Cass is by my side.
Okay, hehe… Well, then I guess we should go through this door.
drat right!
Tch, what troublesome children… Who would’ve thought it would take this long just to get to the door.
The wall in my heart is quite thick, I admit… I didn’t think we would make it…
Perhaps we were right in dragging it out, though we might’ve overdone it a bit…
Is this what you call the ground when it hardens after the rain falls?
Hehe, I suppose so. Well, I better return to my own floor.
Regardless of how, it’s good that the hate has opened.
Delta… Hurry up and come to my floor.

I’m trying to decide if it’s a good thing or not that we’re not the only people who jam crystals into ourselves.

Bios Shop: That’s not a gem. It’s a “Genometrica Crystal.”
How is that different from a gem…?
Bios Shop: It might look like a gem, but it’s a mass of thoughts. If you put it in you, it’ll enhance your skills.
W-Wait, IN ME?! As in, inside my body?!
Bios Shop: Yes, it’s pretty simple, but you have to purify your body before inserting the crystal.
…That’s a “Purification Ceremony.”
Bios Shop: Exactly! Now, let me explain how the Purification Ceremony works…
Wait! You don’t need to do that yet. I don’t to do it yet, anyway.
Huh? Why not? If it’ll make us stronger, why wouldn’t you want to do it?
Lots of reasons!
Just… wait a little longer.
I’ll explain it to you when I’m…prepared.
Bios Shop: Well, choosing to undergo the Purification Ceremony is a choice between partners.
You should talk it over carefully, and make the decision that’s right for you.
Oh, right. You probably already know, but this town has a Purification Site.
You should go there once you’ve made your decision. It’s really quite nice, even if you aren’t doing the ceremony.

Feinne’s Notes:
If we’ve actually finished the first level, we get an extra scene.

What’s up?
Umm, well… You see…
I-I don’t mind… You know?
Wh-What are you talking about?
The ritual!
Ritual…? Oh, you mean that thing where we immerse ourselves in water, and infuse feelings into the other…?
Where’s this coming from, though? Didn’t you hate that ritual?
Yes, well… I was never going to do it back then…
But, now… I-I suppose it’s not as bad as it used to be…
I don’t know why… Maybe it’s because you’re working so hard on the genometrics, Delta.

Anyway, that’s enough of that. You kids get some sleep, we’ll pick up on their mission next time.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: The Rescue Mission

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Einander posted:

This was true when there were multiple partners, but Delta and Cass will only ever be paired up with each other. This isn't a Cosmosphere, and the focus has changed--the point of Genometrics levels isn't "insight into a single person," it's "insight into a relationship." That's why they've mentioned "chaining" into other people.

It's a change I really like, personally.

Yeah, that'll be much more plain when we get to our second Dive.

And I will do my best to show off some of the cool little wrinkles of the Dive content like what happens when you try to brute force your way through a certain section without having played far enough in the game to know the answers to what you're being asked. The game billed its Dive content as the most difficult and complicated in the series and damned if it isn't.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Clarste posted:

They're all focused on Cass though. This one was about the Cass-Delta relationship, but there's also a Cass-Nay one, a Cass-Sarly one, etc.

Yeah it's really interesting when we get to the Chained Soulscapes, which is actually not that terribly far away for the first one.

I've got videos for the plot update cooking now, probably ready tomorrow. Then I'll do an update with some of the synthesis and Purification stuff, then back to plot, then finish up the first set of side content (which will be about in time for us to unlock our second Synthesis shop actually).

I mean unless I play Bloodborne all day but I'm feeling if anything even more motivated to LP by also having the ability to vent with horrific violence so we're if anything better off.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It’s story time again, kids. After the Dive, they sort of killed a bunch of time getting ready. I’ll tell that story another time, though, let’s get on with this whole rescue thing.

Feinne’s Notes:
There was a pretty good conversation about clothing that happened, which I took screens of.

That’s because I really like it.
Isn’t it a little chilly around the neck?
Maybe a little, but it would be harder to move around in something bulky, right?
I didn’t realize you were considering that.
Although, I really would like to wear a nice, fluffy, knitted sweater sometime too…

As they approached Quanturv, they encountered a bit of a problem.

Hey Cass. Do you see that?
What are people doing here…?
Let’s go have a look.
Be careful. People from Felion wouldn’t come all the way out here. They might be from Quanturv.
…So that could mean they’re from the Genomirai Church.
I don’t know, but that certainly seems possible. Maybe we can learn something about the Church.
Alright, let’s go…

Pretty hard to sneak into a city with only a few ways in and out, was only a matter of time until they ran into someone.

W-Wait! We aren’t here to fight!
Older Man: Are you from Felion?
Yes, but we’re eloping.
R-Really?!
Ow!
Older Man: What…? That seems strange… Why would you elope at a time like this?
Man: Maybe they were scared by the latest attack.
After seeing that, there’s no way they could think they’d be able to live a peaceful life out there.
Older Man: What are you talking about?

Though it did give them some useful information they didn’t have before.

That machine was driven by Song Magic…?
Man: Yes, the Archbishop sang it.
The Archbishop’s…song.
Older Man: Are you sure it’s okay to just tell anyone that?
Man: Of course; we must always extend a helping hand to those seeking salvation.
These two have fled all the way here. We should take them to Quanturv.
…Besides, if they’re lying, we can’t let them go now that they’ve seen us.
Older Man: Yes… You’re right. Once our God descends to this world, all the people of Felion will find salvation.
Man: Indeed. All will be saved through the guidance of the Sharl.
Then you’re going to take us to Quanturv?
Man: Of course. We are missionaries who travel Orei to save souls like you, after all.
Lately, however, we encounter very few people, so this is a rare occurrence.
If you’re missionaries, then you’re from the Genomirai Church, right?
Will you accept us into the Church too?
Man: Oh, of course! Anyone can join, all you need to do is participate in a short ceremony.
I see…
Older Man: Hey! It’s time to get moving!
Man: Alright, just follow us. The Sharl will guide you once you reach the city.
Okay.

Setting up a fake scam religion is really fun, but tends to upset people.

Agreed. Driving combat machines with Song Magic? Bringing salvation to the people of Felion?
That all sounds bad, and all we have are questions.
What should we do? Maybe we should escape and report back?
…But if we go with them, we might be able to infiltrate the Church.
Maybe we can figure out what happened to Sarly.
I know it’s dangerous, but…we have a mission, and we need to stick to it.
Alright, understood.

Feinne’s Notes:
They usually call it Quanturv in the text, but they always say it and sometimes spell it “Quantave” because why the gently caress not, consistency is for pussies.

Oh, right, probably shouldn’t mention that. Anyway the best way to infiltrate an enemy stronghold is just to be let in, much easier than breaking in.

There are an awful lot of people here…
You’re right… Maybe even more than Felion. And they all seem pretty happy…
Temple Knight A: You’ve returned!
Older Man: Yes, and with two new believers. Apparently they fled from Felion.
Temple Knight A: Really? That’s wonderful!
Man: It’s nothing that amazing, we only extended a helping hand to them.
Temple Knight A: You are the new believers, then?
Y-yes, we heard we could be blessed by the Sharl.
Man: Ha ha ha. They seem promising, don’t they?
Temple Knight A: Yes, and your timing is perfect.
Why’s that?
Temple Knight A: Because the Archbishop is about to give a sermon.
Hm… We’d love to hear the sermon. Where will it be?
Man: At the Cathedral, but it won’t start for a while. You should have a look around Quanturv first.
The Cathedral. Got it.
Temple Knight A: We have a rule that all new believers must be blessed.

On the other hand, you want to be careful about things like accepting blessings, never know how that’ll go.

What would happen if we left…?
Temple Knight A: I have no idea. Only the Sharl know. I’ve never seen a believer return after trying to leave.
At any rate, I’m sure you’ll come to love the city. It is protected by the Sharl, after all.
Now, I shall bestow your blessing.
ih-ne wei-fou-de, won-nh-tah-ren-ny tin-foe-ear;
May we meet again.
Thanks.
Whew… Well, we got into the city, but… where could Sarly be?
If she’s been captured, I don’t think we’ll find her just wandering around the streets.
Thank you, Captain Obvious.
Well what do YOU think we should do?
Hm… Well, our best bet would probably be to search around inside the Genomirai Church.
Sounds good. Let’s go.
Hold on. It’s too dangerous to just sneak around an enemy stronghold by ourselves.
Really? It looks like they just let anybody in.
Yeah, and that makes me nervous too.
Well, overthinking it will get us nowhere. We won’t find anything without taking action…
For now we should just go listen to this “sermon” they were talking about.
All right.

Feinne’s Notes:
In spite of being spelled with a Z, the character we’re about to be introduced to’s name is pronounced more like a J.

Video- “The Sermon”

Watch

They didn’t have much to do but drop in on the sermon.

I am most grateful to be given the honor of representing you among His messengers, the Sharl.
I am greatly humbled by this duty.
For I never thought I might stand here as I do, in front of you.
As you all must know, long ago we humans were divided into two opposed factions.
That separation twisted our hearts and threw the world into chaos, eventually destroying it completely.
I lived through that time of devastation and strife.
That I am here today is nothing short of a miracle. That you are here today is nothing short of a miracle.
Indeed, it is a miracle that we can live here, in this land of Quanturv, guided by God’s messengers, the Sharl.
So from the bottom of my heart, I give thanks to this wondrous miracle!
Soon now, the God who gave us these miracles shall descend to our world.
His arrival is the well-earned reward for your tireless effort and devotion.
And in thanks, God shall see fit to make this land His true capital.

Not that doing so was very helpful.

But even in the face of such happiness, I feel sorrow, for we are not yet truly united.
The source of this unhappiness is the fortress of Felion, and its great barrier…
Its people are deceived by a wicked queen with pretensions of godhood, and they do not seek salvation.
As the children of the one true God, it is our duty to rescue them from this fate.
We must extend our loving hand to these lonely, lost souls, trapped within that wicked barrier.
I swear to you now, we shall save them before God descends to grace our land.
I promise to grant the joy of living in God’s presence to all people.
In God’s name, may we find paradise together!

It seemed Cass recognized the Archbishop.

Which is probably why she hung back as Delta went to talk to her.

Let us work together for the betterment of humanity and this world, alongside the Sharl.
Uh, of course.
I take it the lady over there is a little shy?
Yeah. She’s not good with strangers…
I see… That’s quite all right. With time, I’m sure this place will help her overcome that fear.
Thanks. I’ll tell her you said so.
Also… I assume you have come for the ceremony of reconciliation?
Y-yeah, that’s right. After that the Sharl…I mean, God’s messengers, will protect us, right?
…The Sharl do not protect us. They are messengers, sent by God to guide us to a greater purpose.
Those who wish to depend on such power are judged accordingly. Abandon your conceit; cleanse your spirit.
R-Right, I understand. I’ll cleanse my spirit! U-Until it shines like a gem!
He ha. As for your reconciliation… I’m sorry, but I’m afraid you must wait your turn.
You have only recently received your blessing, so spend tonight enjoying Quanturv, and return tomorrow.
May we find paradise together… ih-ne wei-fou-de, won-nh-tah-ren-ny tin-foe-ear;

Something strange happened about then.

Feinne’s Notes:
It’s not messing with you either, you totally can and we’ll be doing so in the near future. Though WHY this just happened will remain a mystery for now.

Delta was quite confused by the brief flash he got after what she said.

I’ll see you tomorrow. I’ll be waiting.
Ah… Yeah!
H-hey, Cass… Did you see her…?
The Archbishop? Of course.
She sure was beautiful…
You really are an idiot… What was up with you back there anyway?
I just didn’t really understand what she was talking about.
Well, at least we feel the same way about THAT.
Anyway, we should get going.
Where?
We should be able to slip through the crowd and get in over there.
W-Wait, you want to sneak in NOW?
Of course.
What kind of an idiot are you?
We’ll be fine. If we get caught, we’ll just pretend we’re lost. No big deal!
It’s definitely a big deal!
May we find paradise together!

Feinne’s Notes:
We end up in a familiar hallway when we enter the church, and our goal is an equally familiar door.

It’s not opening. You can see us from any of these passages. We need to go.
Hold on a second.
I think it was 5. 0, 4, 9…
What…?
It opened.
Why did it open so easily?
I don’t know what you mean, it just opened.
…Whatever. Let’s just get inside.

Video- “The Rescue”

Watch

The code from his dream seemed to work, and Sarly was in the room as expected.

Oh, hello Cass. I knew you’d show up eventually.
I’m just glad you’re safe!
Yes, apparently.
You’re…calmer than I expected.
Probably because I knew you’d be coming.
Still, I’m very happy you did. Thank you. And thank you Delta.
Long time no see!
Yes, about half a year, in fact. How have you been?
Hey, that’s my line.
He he. Yes, I suppose so.
Maybe you guys can catch up later? We need to get out of here.
Of course. Shall we?

Anyway, they managed to get out of the cathedral with Sarly without any problems. Lucky jerks.

Wouldn’t it be more suspicious if we were sneaking around?
I don’t know… So what do we do now?
Hurry up and get back to Felion. Our mission was a complete success.
How’s Felion doing these days?
It’s not much different than before.
The Sharl haven’t managed to breach the Barrier or anything, right?
Yeah, the Barrier’s still fine, but… apparently the Sharl have started using combat machines.
Really…?
Yeah. Nay was attacked a little while ago…
She said it just broke through a wall.
It broke through a wall of the ship? What kind of weapon could…?
With all these Temple Kngihts around, I don’t think we can leave during the day. Should we wait for nightfall?
Hm. Yes, probably. We don’t want to draw too much attention to ourselves.
Not least because we don’t want anyone from the Church recognizing me.
But is there anywhere we can hide until nightfall? It’s not like we can just go to an inn…
Hm…
He he, don’t worry. I know just the place…

Sarly knew some awful hole in the ground to hide in.

It’s not junk. These may be older models, but they’re still perfectly usable.
You don’t think it’s kind of…messy?
Is it? I’ve never noticed.
What a geek…
Did you say something?
No.
Well, we can stay here until dawn.
What?! Are you serious?! These isn’t even a bath…
We’ve been walking all day, I’m sweaty and gross…
Beggars can’t be choosers.
Doesn’t bother me.
Argh… I can’t believe this.

Their discussion was interrupted by a strange voice.

What?!
Who’s there!?
???: Ah ha ha. I apologize for startling you. Ms. Planck, would you care to introduce me?
Calm down, this is Doctor Leolm.
He’s connected via a Wave line, so I guess he’s a virtual friend. His voice is coming from that speaker.
Doctor, this is Delta and Cass. They’re colleagues and friends of mine.
Doctor Leolm: It is a pleasure to meet you.
Y-Yeah…
Um…you too…
Doctor Leolm: You haven’t been back in quite some time. I was beginning to worry you’d run into some trouble.
Probably because I did run into some trouble. I was captured by the Church.
Doctor Leolm: And after I told you to be careful how many times…?
I’ll admit, I’m regretting not taking your advice.
Doctor Leolm: Well, so long as you’re safe now. Did the two of you save Ms. Planck? Allow me to express my thanks.

Seems she was talking with, well, someone over a radio.

I suppose you could say he’s my…mentor, or advisor.
So, why this place?
…Before the Church got me, I holed up here for about six months for…a project.
That’s right. I remember you saying something about that… I didn’t think you’d come here, though.
Well, when the Divine Empress says “jump”… Anyway, I found him while I was hacking the Church’s comms.
Doctor Leolm: Has it really been that long already…
Half a year…
Right after PLASMA let you go.
…Right.
Spying on Quanturv alone is a pretty big job… What exactly were your orders?
Sorry, but I can’t tell you that.

Anyway, the Doctor’s been very helpful.
Huh> I never really thought of you as the trusting type.
I’m not. He had to earn it.
Doctor Leolm: That’s correct. She was very reluctant to speak to me at first. Always hanging up, then calling back…

It probably had to do with whatever her mission was, which was apparently not something she could talk about with Delta and Cass.

Doctor Leolm: And it’s all in the past. Besides, I should be leaving. No doubt you would like some time with your friends.
All right. Thanks.
Doctor Leolm: Should the opportunity arise, I would love to speak with you again. Until next time…
Sure… Oh, gone already. Seems like a pretty easy going guy.
Yeah, I guess so.
Anyway, how’s Felion? Is everything alright?
There was that machine I told you about, and the Prime Minister’s in charge of PLASMA, but otherwise…
Oh, there is one other thing.
Huh?
I got my own place.
What, like a house?
No, a fancy restaurant.

Fancy doesn’t technically mean good.

That’s…not even a cafeteria.
Hey, I’m still getting started…
Right, sure.
Is it doing well?
It’s doing…okay.
It’s only “okay” on the weekends, and that’s only because I come by to help.
Why can’t you let me be happy?
It looks like you’re getting along as well. Good to know.
I wouldn’t put it like that…
He he. We should get some rest. We have some time before the sun comes up.

Speaking of the sun, that’s bed time. Next time, we’ll take a bit of a break and I’ll tell you about some stuff they did back home before they left.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Nay’s Restaurant Troubles

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

So is Delta some kind of Manchurian agent? (Seriously, why wasn't he locked up after dropping trou the barrier? That seems like a dangerously suspicious thing he did. Did Nay intervene?)

Oh, hello Cass. I knew you’d show up eventually.

Uh-oh. Trap?

Probably because I knew you’d be coming.

Seems kinda trap-ish. Has she switched sides? Or maybe she's been brainwashed into being a Manchurian agent too? Oh! Sarly is wearing reasonable clothing! She must be evil! After all, the Sharl did attack the humans to capture their supply of pants.

I will say the game itself understands that's a good question and that very thing will be discussed soon. It'll also make some other stuff make more sense, too.

Given she wouldn't tell us why she was there, we're equally unlikely to find out why Sarly expected to be rescued by maybe the least likely person to arrive, the one guy that in theory PLASMA wouldn't send on such a rescue mission.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

The crack about a cafeteria from Cass is nearly as good too.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Feinne I tried sending you game rips and it said your PM inbox was full.

Yeah, just noticed, deleted a few, should be good now.

Hoping to have an update later today with some shop stuff.

EDIT: OH GOD I AM SO FAR BEHIND. Still hoping on an update today but might have to delay until tomorrow.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 11, 2015

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Hmm? I’m a bit busy right now, story time is later. What’s that? You want to hear about that stuff I sort of mumbled over and moved on with the actual story? Alright, fine, I can take a break.

Feinne’s Notes:
So, shop scenes trigger every time we leave the shop menu if there are in fact scenes extant. You should always exhaust your shop scenes, because we need to see them all in order to get the best ending.

They dropped in on Nay, who had the restaurant full.

Oh, it’s just you guys. What’s up?
We were in the neighborhood so we decided to stop by.
But it looks like business is pretty good.
Heh heh heh… Of course!
Well, you’re in the shop of none other than, “Nay the Gale”. You should expect it to be popular.
Hmm, I think I’m beginning to understand why…

Delta, is something the matter?
I just feel… happy.
Happy? About what?
I haven’t seen this many people in my store since the day it opened.
Oh yeah, it was like this during the grand opening, wasn’t it?
H-hey now, it’s my store now, remember? Don’t compare it to yours…
Grrr… drat.
And, don’t think I’m gonna stop here, either.
Oh yeah, that reminds me… Do you have the key to the back door?
Of course I do… Why do you ask?
Look how crowded this place is… On weekends, we have a line snaking around the corner.
If that happens, it’ll be a pain trying to get through the front door. The back door might be easier.

She was getting a bit too excited about it.

Grrrrrrrraah! I can’t take this anymore! Give me back my store!
H-Hey, calm down, Delta!
Nay, please try not to provoke Delta... I think he’s in shock.
You don’t have to tell me twice… I’ll be too busy to talk to Delta soon, anyway.
Now that that’s out of the way, if you’re not buying anything, you can find the door right over there.
I never thought I’d be chased out of my own store…

I mean people aren’t going to keep coming in just to see you unless the food’s also edible.

Hm? Oh, hello there.
If you’re here to eat, go ahead and find an empty seat. I suppose I owe you that much.
Huh? Are you sure?
Of course… We go way back, don’t we?
Then again, I’ll be taking what’s owed to me.
Taking my store wasn’t enough for you? You have to take my money, too!?
That’s that, this is this…
Besides, you aren’t going to find flavors like these anywhere else, you know? I did a LOT of research.
There’s no way I could serve it and not charge you!
You don’t think I could find flavors like this, eh?
Heh, well, I guess you haven’t seen me cook yet, have you?
Uhh, I think that would be a slaughter. Save yourself the embarrassment.
What’re you talking about!? When I put my mind to it, I can cook up something that anyone would love.
For example…?
Hmm, let’s see… A fruit salad?
…What?
Hmm, that does sound pretty good right now…
Are you serious?
Heh heh, after all, I have been doing this cook thing for longer than you, Nay.
Don’t underestimate me.

Cass at least seemed to know, well, anything.

Even a child can make it, as long as they have fruit.
WHAT!?
Hey, wait a second. She’s right! That’s blasphemy. The outcast child of what is considered culinary arts…
Um, I’m trying to say, that’s not really cooking…
Th-Then, how about my Super Fried Rice!?
You just sprinkled some salt on a bowl of rice. It doesn’t count…
Ahahaha, are you serious? You could’ve at least used some, oh, I don’t know… Spices!?
Sh-Shut it! Don’t you dare underestimate this baby.
If you didn’t fry it, how could you call it fried ANYTHING?
Yes, I’m gonna agree with Nay on this one.
And if all you’re using is rice and salt, wouldn’t you be better off making it into a rice ball!?
A rice ball?
What’s that!? It sounds pretty good…
Cass, you must actually be pretty good, huh? To come up with a dish, using only salt and rice.
Heh, I wasn’t expecting this to be a three-way…
Wow, I don’t even know where to start… Are you complimenting me?
B-But, don’t think I’ll just roll over and let you have this one!

Really doesn’t inspire confidence in your food when you don’t know what a rice ball is.

Um, did you just confess?
WHA-!?
…Ahem, in order to keep the restaurant afloat until Delta’s return, I’ve come up with some new dishes!
Yeah, a little too late for damage control.
Argh! Stop being such a little girl about this.
A wannabe cook like yourself should be learning from my recipes!
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Refreshing the Bistro]!
Whoa, these dishes actually look pretty good… Is this one a dessert?
Obviously, there are desserts. It’s filled with dishes that would be well suited for a so-called bistro.
Now, I wonder how much of a beating your pride can take, Delta… This menu will show you no mercy.
Um, but I also see a few recipes that look pretty… Dangerous.
So, I’m hoping you two could help me make some of the items on this list. The first is always the hardest.
I don’t mind helping you make it… But just don’t ask us to taste it.

Feinne’s Notes:
So, you can’t actually synthesize all the items that are theoretically available to you in this first wave of recipes, because there is an ingredient that you have to go to Quanturv for. It’s still worth it, because we’ll be able to improve Delta’s weapon and Cass’s song magic a bit before heading out.

That said, they made at least one edible thing.

Oh wow, fruit punch! I really like this!
I like fruit too, but I think it’s better to eat it by itself.
Why would you think that? Anyway, try it.
A-alright… Here I go…
…Woah!?
Is it good?
Yeah, this is really good! The fruit is tasty on its own, but the juice really goes well with it.
That’s no surprise. I used Ponta.
Wait… By Ponta, do you mean that carbonated drink they sell at stores?
That has fruit flavor, right? That’s why I thought it would be even better to drink it with fruit.
That was good thinking. It’s tasty and fancy, so I think this would be a great dessert.
Yeah, I’d want to eat something like this every day. This fruit punch…
Actually, since it uses Ponta, it would be better to call it Fruit Ponta.
That’s a good name! Maybe I should add it to the menu…

Which, for some reason, included something you plug into a weapon to make it stronger.

Delta, what’s with that look?
…It would be great if you could just guess.
You don’t like something about the cathode I gave you?
I don’t dislike it. Actually, I think it’s pretty amazing in a way.
It’s just…
…This is cream soda, isn’t it?
Yeah, that’s the problem! It’s used to enhance weapons, so you should care about the appearance.
The thing is, this actually uses cream soda, so I can’t really do anything about the look.
Still…
Wait, what!? This is seriously cream soda!?
Yup. If you put a straw in there, you can drink it.
Although, if you drink it, it won’t work right anymore.
So this cathode actually works to enhance your weapon, right?
Yeah, I don’t have any complaints about its performance at all.

I mean I’ve seen people use weapons made out of food before, but I still don’t get the thought that went into that decision.

Nope. I was totally serious. It’s the real deal.
But even I don’t really understand why cream soda has an effect like that.
You don’t understand… Then how did you manage to make something like this?
I was just trying to get a laugh.
Cream soda and a cathode. In other words, this is Cream Cathoda!!
I was just wondering about the reaction I’d get if I said something like that.
That’s the reason you made it?
Well, regardless of the reasons, it’s a working cathode, so there’s nothing to complain about, right?
Guh…
Is this okay, Delta? If you have a complaint, tell me now.
…W-well, it’s true that it’s effective, so I’m glad to have it.
But I’d prefer it if you stopped making things for reasons like that from now on.
Yeah yeah, I’ll think about it.
…She’s totally going to do it again.
Yeah… Argh, I still can’t accept that this is cream soda.

Feinne’s Notes:
Cathodes are weapons for the front line. They go into equipment slots that correspond to the four attack buttons, and improve that sort of attack with their listed effects.

When they next returned to the restaurant, things weren’t quite so good.

Heh, maybe people are finally catching on that your cooking is uhh… Not that great, Nay.
Hey! Don’t spread lies in my store. I’ll call security to have you removed!
Whoa, taking my store wasn’t enough? You have to kick me out, too?
But really, what’s going on? It’s night and day from last time.
Yes, that’s exactly the problem! I’m losing all my customers all of a sudden…!
I noticed fewer and fewer patrons from a little while ago, but this, this is a surprise.
…Perhaps the problem is with your cooking after all?
Yeah. Check out that customer over there.
They don’t even know what they’re looking at on the plate and they’re on the verge of tears.
Wha-!? That’s Nay’s special pudding.
Yes, well… In an attempt to really showcase its softness, I made this one jiggle.
That’s disgusting! Food should definitely not move!
It shows how happy the pudding is.
Hmm, now that you mention it, you might have a point…
Delta, please, think. How can you be okay with this!?
Wait-! This is wrong… Pudding isn’t alive.
Well, you know how artisans say “bread dough is alive”? Why can’t the same be said about pudding?!
I don’t think they mean biologically…
Um, maybe it’s because of that weird crap that you’re losing all your customers?

Moving pudding… reminds me, note to self, get in touch with Skycat, interesting product proposal.

E-Even today… I just added a rainbow miso soup to the menu. It glows in seven colors. Perfect for the kids.
S-Seven colors…!? That must be horrible for the body.
Don’t be ridiculous. I haven’t used ANY additives.
Besides, my target customer for this work of art isn’t you, anyway. It’s children.
I suppose additives wouldn’t necessarily make it glow seven colors…

Heh. Methods and outcome aside, at least you’re thinking of the customers when making new items.
Uhh, duh?
I have people traveling from far away to have some of my cooking. How could I NOT think of them?
I see…
When I was running the store, that’s all I could think about, too.
At least we can agree on SOMETHING.
Wha-!? How could you even suggest that!? You called salt and rice “fried rice”.
Why you-!
Don’t try to argue this one, Delta.
So, how do you plan on resolving this situation? At this rate, we’ll have another Cook de Delta on our hands.
I-I know that…! I’m thinking of solutions here, people.
I’m speaking from experience… This isn’t something that “thinking” will solve.
Better than not thinking. Next time you come, all these seats are gonna be filled. Just you wait.
…I somehow doubt that…

Cass, as it turned out, was correct.

Not a single customer… This feels just like home, when I was running it.
No, wrong! Absolutely wrong!
I had some customers until you guys decided to show up.
You sure about that?
Look at that table. See? Those plates are from the last party that was here.
Wow, and you’ve got five settings, too!
Um, shouldn’t you take care of that? It might leave a bad impression for the other customers…
The other customers I don’t have?
Maybe not now, but they could walk in any second, right?
That’s easy for you to say… But I’m running this place all on my own.
So I’m spread pretty thin, if you hadn’t noticed.
What exactly do you have to do? With all of zero customers?
I’ll keep an eye on things over here, so why don’t you go wash those plates?
You must mean, while YOU go wash the plates…
Sure. You gonna pay me?
You big meanie.

It’s surprising she didn’t just abuse her authority as Divine Empress to ensure her success.

You know you can always hire someone, right?
Ugh, I told you. I don’t have that kind of money. And I was doing so well in the beginning…
I wonder what caused the sudden drop in patronage?
I think it’s hard to deny that the menu played a big role in your failure.
But I put my heart and soul into it… How could this happen?
I don’t think heart and soul alone can make something taste better.
Then maybe seasoning…? Or perhaps some shady looking medicine. I need to get their attention.
…Maybe you should try a different approach. Instead of trying to “get attention”.
What’s that supposed to mean?
What I mean is, find another way to get customers to walk through your door.
You know, like all items half off! Or, get a free dessert when you order an entrée or something.
Heh, didn’t you try that? And end up with… Oh right, no customers?
Hey, we don’t talk about that!
Anyway, my point is… You can’t change the flavor of your restaurant overnight, so try something different.
Hmm, that might actually be a good idea.
Half-off and free desserts would eat into my profits… But I suppose a new approach is worth a shot.
Eat into…? Your non-existent profits? Funny.

Anyway, she tried to execute Delta’s, um, great idea.

…Why do I have a really bad feeling about this?
Hey, perfect timing! I just finished a new recipe.
Yeah, I don’t think we need any dog food right now.
I hope you’re not calling my recipe dog food…? When, exactly, have I made such a horrible dish?
Almost every day, I think…
And this store is living proof.
W-Well, aren’t you guys on a roll today…
It doesn’t matter… Because this time, I think I’ve stepped up my game quite a bit.
Why don’t you save judgment for when you’ve seen the recipe?
System Message: Obtained the recipe for [Cooling Down on a Hot Day]!
Hmm, looks like a cold dish of some kind.
Heh heh heh… You remember what you told me, last time you came in?
About trying to find other ways to get customers through the door.
But, you said you wouldn’t reduce prices, right…?
Of course, that’s out of the question.
So, this is my new approach. I’m making seasonal and limited dishes that will bring in the customers.
I’m calling it, “Cooling Down on a Hot Day”.

At least they were pretty quickly moving into considering exciting alternative uses for the sort of culinary disasters they were experiencing.

I guess we’ll just have to find out, won’t we?
That said, I’m pretty sure they will have effects OTHER than filling up your stomach. Stay tuned.
I’m not keeping my hopes up.
Oh, and don’t even think about opening your own restaurant with those dishes… You hear?
Haha, as if. Besides, I think everyone here knows I’m a much better chef than you are.
…Yeah, I wonder about that…

Though I’m not sure when they move into actual aggressive cooking, still organizing notes on these.

The Irritating Ice is finished!
You already named it? And isn’t this just regular shaved ice?
Heh heh heh, you’re such an amateur. You really think this is normal shaved ice?
Here, try holding the container.
Huh… Woah!? This is absurdly cold!
This shaved ice is so cold that it causes irritation for the person eating it. Therefore, Irritating Ice.
Is that really okay to eat?
It’s fine. The human body is actually surprisingly tough.
That doesn’t sound good at all.
No, it sounds interesting. I’d like to have a taste.
Alright, go for it!
Aaah, you’re taking so much…! Don’t complain to me if you get sick.

What? No, no I’m not monetizing both their story and ideas, don’t be silly. And certainly don’t repeat that in front of anyone.

I-I’m just trying to show some concern here…
Oh, sorry. I just felt really angry for a moment there.
Delta, looks like you’ve got a pretty low boiling point.
You’re wrong! Don’t judge me like tha-…
…Wait, something’s wrong. After eating that shaved ice, I suddenly feel really mad.
Nay, did you put some weird medicine in here?
I just made it really cold, I don’t think I did anything else to it…
Then why am I getting so pissed off!? What the hell are you going to do about this!?
…Looks like it’s causing irritation in a different way than I thought.

I mean I’d certainly never cynically exploit people I’ve never met for profit, especially when I’m quite sure there’s no way I could ever suffer any consequence from it.

T-This is just way too big…
That’s not true. In fact, parfaits are more enjoyable the bigger they are.
I’m not saying you’re wrong, but, there’s still a limit. I could never eat all this.
So you’re not gonna have any? Alright Delta, you’ve got the glorious job of taste testing. It’s all yours.
What!? That’s not fair!!
Heh heh, sorry Cass.
Even you were saying it’s too big…
But I’ve got confidence that I can eat it. Anyway, I guess I’ll start with the ice cream.
It’s super cold, so be careful.
It’s ice cream, of course it’s cold. Om…
Uu, it looks so good…
Wow, this ice cream is INCREDIBLY cold… GAH!?
Hm, what’s wrong?
T-This really huuuurts!! Argh, my head’s going to split!! My head!!
Hey, Delta!? Are you okay!?
Urgh, guhhh… GAH!
N-Nay! Delta’s eyes rolled back in his head and he collapsed!
Ouch… Maybe because I made it a little too cold…
I’m pretty sure that gave him a really bad brain freeze, worse than normal…
Does brain freeze really get worse for reasons like that?
I don’t know, just a guess. Well I guess the flavor is good. I’ll call it the Special DX Parfait and…
…I think One Hit KO Parfait is a lot more appropriate.

The specials… didn’t quite work out as well as she hoped.

…What happened to your line of cool dishes? Failed miserably?
It seems so… * Sigh * And I was so confident it would take off.
Well, it looks like you have a few customers… So maybe it wasn’t a complete bust.
Yeah, but… I was expecting it to be PACKED.
And if that happened, I was going to make the items available year round…
That’s fraud.
Oh don’t worry. As long as no one makes a big deal out of it, it’s not fraud.
…Anyway, we have a bigger issue to solve. The fact that people still aren’t coming…
You make that sound so depressing…

Probably for the best, the liability on those things would have been killer.

If you do it too often, it’ll lose its charm of being limited.
I mean, after all, the flavor is… Umm…
Well, it’s not for everyone. Maybe dogs…?
Stop calling it dog food! You could’ve said “unique” or “eccentric” or something…
Regardless, it doesn’t necessarily sound delicious.
I do think you should brush up on your cooking a bit. Don’t you agree?
No way. I’m not really that great at tedious work, you know…
* Sigh * …You’re gonna be known as “that’ restaurant.
If that happens, I don’t know if I’ll ever want the keys back…
Well, we might have different approaches, but I don’t think your cooking really counts… As cooking.

Anyway that’s enough for now, I need to get this stuff together. I’ll pick up again with the story later.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: The Great Escape

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Are there a lot of these shop scenes? Because they're okay in small doses, but if there's a 1:1 (or 1:2 or 1:3) ratio of shop updates to main story updates, that could get tiring.

That sounds super-tedious, who thought that was a good idea.

That's okay, evil guys are pretty good at organizing things. (I would be seriously shocked if the PM does NOT turn out to be evil.)

...What can you say about a costume designer who thinks that Nay's current outfit just wasn't quite revealing enough, so they made sure half her rear end is hanging out. :cripes:

There's one more update of these with Nay (which will also include the Purification topics I had, which is this game's version of the Inn talk from the previous games), not counting the things I couldn't synthesize because I needed poo poo from Quanturv which I might just whip into an actual plot update. We'll start having Sarly scenes as well for a while, but those can actually sometimes be pretty relevant to the plot as well as funny.

Next update is a continuation of the plot, expect it Monday (we've got plans most of the day tomorrow and I don't know that I can get it done).

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

AT2 had the same problem though. I think 1 and 3 handled that better. Do they really expect the player to walk that often into those stores? I had situations where like 10+ scenes piled up, both in AT2 and this game.

Yeah, I will say there is a payoff for all of them (and of course it's actually mandatory for the best ending) but there are just too many scenes that show up at any given time for each shop. They really needed to spread out better, but I think they didn't want to you feel like you had to go back to each shop after every single thing or something.

Update tomorrow unless something radically changes in my time availability today.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Ar Tonelico Trivia Challenge!

I'll be posing some Ar Tonelico Trivia as things go on. There are three tiers of questions, the Mute Tier, Misha Tier, and Mir Tier. Sensible people might reasonably be able to answer the first, whereas only people as fundamentally damaged as me are likely to find the third accessible. The first tier is worth one point, the second three, the third five. Do only answer one question from each Tier, though it should be noted many of the upper tier questions might have multiple correct answers.

Mute Tier (1 Point):

This song was used in order to defeat the virus ELMA in Ar Tonelico.

An archer from the Teru Tribe, she was an ally in Ar Tonelico 2.

This computer program was the 'Mother Matrix' of Clustania.

She sang for Misha in Ar Tonelico.

Bourd Rade was employed by this corporation.

Misha Tier (3 Points):

This person voiced Mir in the dub of Ar Tonelico, but not Ar Tonelico 2.

EXEC_EP=NOVA/. is an abbreviation for what?

One of Ayatane's katana sets from Ar Tonelico, these katanas reference the Four Holy Beasts of mythology.

Mir Tier (5 Points):

Begin from this prompt:

Was yea ra chs hymmnos mea, en chs fwal fwal yor.

What does this mean?

Who said it and on what occasion?

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

It does get said at least once as an actual line, and that is indeed a good translation for the first phrase. If you get the second phrase it might also suggest the situation it was used in, as it was terribly relevant.

And I will eventually reveal the answers to everything that nobody else is tainted enough with forbidden knowledge to know.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

AweStriker posted:

Isn't the meaning of "fwal" something close to "wings"? I remember it being something like that...

I will confirm this is one of its meanings, because Hymmnos can be hard to translate even with a dictionary.

You could imagine the other meanings are related to that one.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Einander posted:

Just based off of what it says, I suspect that Hymmnos phrase is when Aurica saves Lyner from falling fairly early on on AT1, but it's been forever and I can't be arsed to look it up.

That is 100% correct.

I'll do points in the morning but you're also all wrong as to what the EP in EP=Nova was translated as.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Kurieg posted:

I was more saying that while "chmod b111000000n" is a valid command by itself, the actual song itself doesn't have things like EXEC_Z or HYMMLI do where they start lyrically belting out memory addresses or command line prompts. Instead the lyrics are more like this

Was yea ra chs gatyunla yorr na naja here, rete hueaf dsier yorr gauzewiga

which roughly translates to
(With a gladness that I wish to continue) I shall transform myself here into an inescapable hell, forget your worthless desires and despair.

Though it should be noted that any line with an emotion signifier (usually was and wee, but there are more) is potentially a tower command. And if you go look at the songs with obvious binary and such in them, every line with that stuff does in fact start like that.

Update later today, getting screens now and writing soon.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Alright, back to the story. They were hiding out in Sarly’s junkyard thing, which wasn’t working at all for Cass.

Feinne’s Notes:
I mean I would hope it was understood that this game’s content is questionably work safe on a good day but today’s update is especially so. You have been warned.

Hm? Cass, what’s wrong? The sun’s not coming up for a while yet.
I can’t take it.
Huh?
The machines make it hot, so I sweat, which makes the dust stick to my skin. And this floor is hard.
Plus, all the electronics in here keep giving off this high-pitched ringing that’s driving me crazy.
I’m going to go take a bath.
Hey! Wait, Cass!
Don’t worry, it’s a big city.
As long as she stays in the crowds, she’ll be hard to spot.
A-Are you sure…?
Well, now that she’s gone, this is my chance.
Delta, I want to ask you something.
Huh? What?

Sarly took the opportunity to ask Delta about something.

Well…strange? I guess there was that combat machine…
No, I mean with you.
Me?
Um… Well, I guess what I’m doing right now is strange.
I never thought I’d be out on a mission for PLASMA with Cass again.
Did Nay give you this mission?
Yeah. They called me to headquarters and told me to go to Quanturv.
Why did they ask you, specifically? I know you’re not a member of PLASMA anymore.
I don’t know.
Oh, well, I helped Nay out when she was attacked by the machine, so they called me in to get a reward.
Hm… Anything else?
No, not really.
I see. Well, that should do it. Thanks.
Huh? That’s it?
Yes. Besides, you have to be tired.
And since Cass went…maybe I should take a bath too.
…Where could YOU go to take a bath here?
There’s a hot spring called the Atsu Springs here in Quanturv. I’ve never gone, but I hear it’s very nice.
What…?
Oh, that reminds me. There’s a couples bath, apparently. Want to go…?
What?! N-No, no way! We can’t do that!
…I was just kidding.

It kind of seemed like Sarly was fishing for something from Delta, but who knows what. Also baths are very important, never let anyone tell you otherwise.

Mmmm…
Haaah.
…This is great.
Hey, this is pretty nice.

Cass and Sarly shared one, though the topic of conversation was a bit more serious than you’d expect.

Am I intruding?
No. But we sure aren’t taking this very seriously.
This city is full of people pretending to worship the Sharl out of fear.
We’ll be fine as long as we don’t get too close to the Cathedral.
I hope you’re right. Aah… This feels great.
Did you talk to Delta about anything?
Why do you ask?
Because I get the feeling you would have told him a little too much.
I only ever talk about, or ask about, what is absolutely necessary.
Sure.

It sounds like your mission is going well. Watching him while pretending to help is especially clever.
“Watching him” makes it sound so clandestine. I just want to know how he’s doing.
PLASMA’s not making the distinction. To them, he’s in prison, and you’re just a guard.
…I wonder what changed in him?
He’s been acting like nothing ever happened, and he smiles like he’s back to his old self. I don’t get it?
Does he seem to be contacting the Sharl or the Genomirai Church?
No. At least, not in the half a year I’ve been watching.

Sarly seemed more confident in Delta than Cass, though she wouldn’t explain why.

Then why would he open the Barrier?
If there had been just a few more Sharl, the city would have been overrun.
…I can’t explain that.
When I talk to him, he doesn’t remember anything. Sometimes I wonder if he’s really Delta.
…You should trust him, Cass. He’s…he’s still the Delta we know. I’m sure he is.
How can you know that?
I…guess it’s intuition?
That’s not very reassuring…
This bath is starting to make me a little dizzy… Should we go wash up?
I can’t get in the mood for that without Nyuroki Soap.
Oh, I remember that! I used to use it all the itme. It’s really cute.
It’s not just cute! It also makes lots of bubbles. Just one drop foams up 15 times more than regular soap!
Right, I remember!
If you put in too much, it would foam up so much you couldn’t take a bath for like three days!
I loved jumping into all those bubbles.
Although I couldn’t do it very often.

What’s a Nyuroki? Can’t talk about it, Spica made me sign a thing, tell you later.

I-I think that would end pretty badly…
He he, you’re probably right.
That reminds me… Were you okay? Before we found you?
Some of it was pretty unpleasant. The worst was when they were looking inside my mind. I can’t even describe it.
Oh… I’m sorry we took so long.
Were you worried about me?
Of course I was. Nay was too.
I guess I messed up.
You seem pretty calm about it, though. It’s a little anticlimactic.
Calm?
Not really. I just did what I could with what I had. I had no guarantee I’d be okay.
I can’t even count how many times I almost broke down crying.

So I really do want to thank you for coming to get me.
You’re welcome. I’m just sorry it wasn’t sooner.

With that they finished their bath in enemy territory.

I know, I almost feel like singing.
Me too!
I was pretty surprised to hear Delta opened up a restaurant, though.
It’s really not that impressive. He doesn’t even get any customers!
I still think he’s pretty tough.
If I got kicked out of PLASMA like that, I don’t think I’d be able to find another life like he has.
I guess he is pretty good at making things happen.
…He might not be much of a businessman, but he’s not stupid.
If he keeps at it, I’m sure it’ll be a nice place with a lot of regular customers in no time.
…I don’t think so.
Why not?
It… Nay took it over.
Really… What was she thinking?
Well, she IS really popular. Maybe she’ll be really successful…?
…I wonder. I feel like she’s pushing herself too hard with a lot of that Divine Empress stuff…
…!?
What’s wrong?
Be careful, Cass. I just got a bad feeling…
What?!

She wasn’t the only one with a bad feeling.

What was that…?

He rushed out to help them.

Delta!? Why are you…?
Watch out, you two. We’re surrounded.
It’s alright, there don’t seem to be too many of them.
…You know how many there are?
No, it’s just intuition. I’ll buy some time, so start singing, Cass!
Got it!
I knew it! Finally decided to show yourselves, huh!?

Feinne’s Notes:
These ladies are pretty straightforward, two of them will attack at a time. They don’t hit very hard, but you probably won’t be able to Break them so you will have to endure hits except when you are able to get a kill.

It looked like they’d overstayed their welcome in Quanturv.

Th-Thanks, Delta. For protecting me.
Huh? Don’t worry about it.
They look like…Priests from the Church.
They all went after Cass. I don’t think they were tracking me.
This has to be Delta’s fault. After what you said to the Archbishop, of course they’d be after us!
What?! You were the one who kept trying to hide! That’s way more suspicious!
That was part of the plan! You didn’t realize that?!
Look, right now we need to get out of the city, quickly.
It’s late enough that we should be able to get past the Temple Knights. Let’s go.

They did manage to slip out of the city into the Power District.

I sure hope so…
I wonder, though… How did they know where we were?
You don’t think it might have something to do with someone running off to take a bath?
If they’d spotted me on my way to the bath, they would have attacked while I was alone.
They might have followed me, then attacked Cass as well.
Either that, or they knew who you were all along.
I don’t think so. We were undercover as new believers.
What?
They gave us a blessing when they brought us here. We were supposed to have a reconciliation ceremony too.
Ah… Well, there’s your reason.
What?
The “blessing” is a Song Magic they use to track the whereabouts of “believers.”
W-Wait, really?
Someone in the Church must have realized I was gone, and checked the logs before going to look for me.
But why attack Cass?
They must have thought you were a threat, since the two of you managed to infiltrate the Church alone.
As far as anyone can tell, I’m just an engineer who couldn’t fight her way out of a wet paper bag.
You sure like saying that…

That is a neat trick, by the way.

It’s not very powerful Song Magic, so it should dissipate eventually.
If you’d gone through with the full ceremony, though, the Sharl would have been able to track you indefinitely.
So how long does the blessing’s effect last?
It depends on the strength of the singer, but a few days at the most.
Wait, then…
Temple Knight A: They’re over there!
I hate being right!
Right now we just need to focus on getting to Felion safely.

I can’t be critical here, because I’m not exactly a runner myself.

If you don’t keep running, we’re gonna get caught!
Not everyone has the stamina of a horse!
She’s right, Delta. I’m almost done too…
drat it. What’re we going to do, then?
For now, I think we should rest in the shadows over there.
This is bad. If this keeps up, we’ll definitely get caught, and they far outnumber us.
Are we going to have to keep running until this blessing wears off…?
We can’t do that.
Then we turn and fight.
It’s a better plan than running. We get them far enough away from reinforcements, then attack.
What if reinforcements show up?
Then we’re toast. That’s why we need to be very careful about where we choose to fight.
You’re pretty good at this…
It’s just a simple game.
Temple Knight A: There they are!
What should we do?
If we can’t retreat, we have to fight.
A simple game, right…

Feinne’s Notes:
Another mandatory fight, still not that difficult even though you will never, ever Break them due to just not quite having enough juice right now.

After the battle, the ground began to shake.

…This is bad! Get away!
Huh?
Aaaaaaaaaaaah!

The floor then fell out from under them.

Are you two all right?
I’m fine.
I’m… Ow!
Cass, are you okay?
Yeah… Just twisted my leg a little.
Can you heal it with song magic?
You can ease the pain, but her body will take a little while to heal. It would be best not to strain it.
Huh. This is bad… They’re still after us.
I’m sorry…
Don’t be sorry, I’m not blaming you.

This left them in the awkward position of being lost.

I’ve never seen this district before. It looks residential, but I don’t see any people.
I would guess it’s been abandoned for a while.
Is it safe?
If it was abandoned, then people can’t live here for some reason.
If that reason is the Sharl, then it’s definitely not safe for us.
Huh… Well, we still need to find a place to rest.
I’m fine. I can still walk.
No, if you stumble into a fight in your condition then we’ll be in real trouble.
We should rest, and just wait for the blessing to wear off.
Are you coddling me?
It’s not like that. I know how you feel, but getting angry won’t solve anything.

…Sorry.
Let’s just find somewhere to hide until morning.

Things were about to get even more interesting, but that’ll have to wait for next time.

Next Time, Ar Nosurge: Purification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Given how Sarly's acting you could easily assume there's something else we're not being told that they know about what happened six months ago.

• Locked thread