Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Here we loving go. This will be magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

This whole Dive thing sounds interesting to me so its why I'm sticking with this despite the horrid character design. I imagine it will be better when we aren't dealing with character issues that aren't literally being "tsundere" :ughh:

See, the issue being solved here isn't "Cass is Tsundere," because that's not an issue that Delta could solve here. These dives always, always have more going on than something like that.

Let's take a quick look at the facts:
1. The "root" of the issue here is a conflict over the appearance of the Warrior, which is a giant, evil-looking Delta.
2. The Warrior appeared six months ago.
3. Six months ago Delta tried to open the barrier for no clear reason.
4. Despite this, Cass is still looking out for Delta.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Clarste posted:

being obnoxiously self-aware about the tropes they're using.

Yeah this might happen again btw.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Feinne posted:

Oh don’t worry. As long as no one makes a big deal out of it, it’s not fraud.

Oh Nay :allears:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

...so this is the Divine Empress? I guess the Prime Minister has to be running everything behind the scenes or the city would be in flames.

Just wait until we find out how Nay became Divine Empress.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Feinne posted:

Sarly is in fact extremely short, and how self-conscious she is about this will come up at various points.

Is Sarly shorter than Mir? I should check that.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Pretty sure we've seen all the "oops walked in on a naked lady" bits.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Oddly I find myself missing stripping as a game mechanic, though

You must be better at repressing things than me.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

We had to wait until late in the game for the characters in Qoga to be wearing as revealing of outfits as Nay and Prim wear at all times. And the Qoga characters did it in service of super moves. Prim just... forgot to wear pants, or something.

The thing that actually bugged me about stripping was the scenes where you encourage them to take off their clothes to let you program hyumas. A lot of the ladies were really uncomfortable with it. I don't think Feinne showed those (for good reason).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Kurieg posted:

What's up with this SIOM grid? Do the positions of people on the grid mean anything?

It's Sadism, Introversion, Outgoingness, and Masochism. IIRC moving your icon nearer someone else's boosts the power of the spell you get from them.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

Ugh, not this old line. I figured they were supposed to look like adults, and it was just a quirk of the art that they didn't. I wouldn't have even questioned it if they hadn't brought it up.

That was my exact reaction. I just forgot that line existed.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Do you have to watch that animation and jingle every time you synth something, or can you turn that off (or at least skip it)?

IIRC you can skip it with a button.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Lunar Suite posted:

So, we're, like, two for two now on "Civilizations that discovered the Power of Song and also blew up their planet"? EXA_PICO may be the one universe where being a Luddite has history on your side.

To be fair here, Ra Ciela was going to blow up anyway, and they at least got something out of it this way.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Pretty much?

Also to the people asking about Ciel, remember that it was way more of a "life-sim" game where you had to constantly pay attention to Ion by logging in daily. Also if you pretty much devoted your entire lifetime to the game you had the option to have marriage ceremony with Ion :japan: . The story also was spoonfed chapter by chapter of the course of like what, 15 months? There probably were quite a few players who were emotionally invested into Ion and some other characters over all that time. It's an interesting concept, but I doubt it would ever work outside japan.

I can think of one context it might work in: WoW.

What do you think Ion would be like as a follower? Aside from a non-removable, extra-strength version of the mechanical-buddy trait.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I've heard AT1/2 have decent compatibility with PCSX2.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Kanon is a bit dumb and a lot stubborn, the worst combo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Feinne posted:

You know, Ar Tonelico/Nosurge weapons are all really great as I think about it. They pretty universally make sense on the thought process of 'we're just slapping poo poo together from whatever's lying around because our civilization is hosed.'

I kind of wonder if Croix's weapon is actually some kind of combat drone with the electronics fried. Like it looks like if you ran the rocket engine it could fly around on its own and shoot things.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

AfroSquirrel posted:

So, in North Korea...

They have all those pictures of their leaders for a reason.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Oberndorf posted:

I stopped playing this shortly after this point in the story, but I don't recall ever, ever having a fight last that long when I played. I recall thinking that there was really very little gameplay in the thing since even the boss fights were trivial. I think this fight, they got one turn before they were dead, and I don't recall doing a whole lot of grinding. Either I magically figured out the obtuse equip system, or something else is going on. Any thoughts?

You didn't boost the difficulty. The default difficulty is basically equivalent to "casual".

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

HR12345 posted:

Even though I've played all three Ar tonelico games, I must've tuned this out, but...why is it only females can be Reyvateils?

Reyvateils are artificial, and there's an incompatibility with what they did and the Y-chromosome.

Of course the real reason is that Reyvateils are used as a thematic cypher for women.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Glazius posted:

Okay, I have to admit. The most cluttered purse in the world is an excellent explanation for a shared inventory.

It's so cluttered it bends spacetime.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Feinne posted:

I suspect what she's wearing in the bath is just Cass' bottom layer of clothing. She's got the parka dress, and then under that is a small black shirt and a pair of shorts (you can sort of see both in her outfit).

Working on an update with the start of Phase II for both parties, after which we'll have a vote as to who to focus on first.

No, I'm pretty sure she mentions it's a special purification thing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

quote:

Cass pretty much only wears underwear underneath

This doesn't seem to actually be true. The Ar Nosruge Plus box makes it look like she's wearing short shorts.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Feinne posted:

As the third horseman of the animocalpye, Poor Life Choices, I'll already have started the LP by the time the locusts arrive.

Dude, 3 month rule.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Is Spica a mobster?

She says she's the queen of the underworld.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The actual reason Nelo wants to go back is that the Ra Cielans make lovely futons, and she wants to sit on a good one again.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So uh you can look at this if you want to :psyboom:

quote:

Seventh Axis - World
The seventh and final dimension established by the Qualia Dimension Theory is the W-Axis, called gin-wa-fen (gin-wa-fen) in Emotional Song Pact, and it corresponds to the World itself. To put it simply, it comprises everything that gives form to an entire world: it space, time, and all versions of their possibilities and Qualia interactions are all contained within a point in the Seventh Axis, while the other points correspond to entirely different worlds unrelated to the Universe of EXA_PICO itself, of which there is no knowledge available.

This also means that all universes are constantly interacting with each other, like the Big Bang Universe (Earth) and the EXA_PICO Universe (Ar Ciel and Ra Ciela), but given the magnitude of their interactions is so large in scale, we have no way of comprehending them with our Third-Dimensional viewpoint. Likewise, while theoretically there is an infinite number of higher dimensions existing over the Seventh one due to the fact that the universe is fractal-shaped, the Qualia Dimension Theory doesn't consider them due to our lack of understanding on the matter.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Omobono posted:

If I understand the technobabble correctly:
-a single universe is a standard 4-dimensional thing
-a multiversal set of connected universes (parallel words) with the same set of physical laws can be described by two extra dimensions (5th and 6th)
-if you want to access poo poo with different physical laws (e.g. the EXA_PICO universe which explicitly has a different underlying structure at the subatomic level) you need the 7th dimension.
-there are still some similarities between ours and EXA_PICO that can only go away on theoretical 8th + dimensions.

:techno::hf::psyduck:

I think so.

Also I prefer to think of Oversight as the "GameFAQs" superpower.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Poor Kanon is just so repressed. This is another in the long line of "hey don't make people to be tools, assholes" things that we've seen. It's a good thing that Kanon didn't go crazy and try to blow up the planet... wait, poo poo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

So a while back Feinne and I had a conversation about how Beta Reyvateils would be really useful to fight the (Warcraft) Burning Legion, since they don't leave a body OR soul behind to work with.

Anyway this spitballed into me trying to recreate General Akane in WoW. This turned out to be REALLY HARD since there didn't seem to be much in the way of royal purple armor or anything resembling the proper shoulder-guards. I feel like I got close enough though:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

"Even more strange" isn't the half of it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

THAT'S what's up with Delta? ... Okay, that has really killed any remaining interest I had in the story. It is stupid. (If you think it's worthwhile trying to change my mind with some sort of justification, don't bother wasting your time.) I'm probably done with this.

Personally I actually liked Delta's deal. Now that he knows what's up it'll get interesting.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Except that the game seemed to have been saying that it was switched over to meat-fuel specifically because Zill/Nelo needed more power.

Oh whatever...

Life-energy is a quasi-mystical thing. The meat itself is just left there. Someone's body will be found in the flask sea.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also Neptunia Re:birth 1 & 2 are on sale on Steam (70%, with the DLC at 71%), so if anyone wanted to follow Feinne's steps into anime-dom, now's your chance. I bought the first (not the second because there's only so much money I'm willing to use at a time, and between Smash's DLC and this it's gone way beyond it), and I fully blame Feinne for it.

I'd consider this, but I already have too many games I'm not playing.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The problem with using Prim as a partner is that Prim doesn't really like Delta.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

XIO_PROCEED may be my favorite CIEL_N.

EDIT: Wait no I'm confusing it with the one right after it on the album. It's still great though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sorry for delaying the next update of this thread a bit.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Icedude posted:

That scene with Delta at the end there really annoyed me the first time I got to it. Still does, really. I spent all this time helping him and stuff and they don't give us an option to not be a total dick to him when we finally get to talk directly to him? Or an option to at least be worried about Ion if you've finished her side first, and ask for Delta for help? It just feels totally out of place that you have no option other than to be an rear end in a top hat or an even bigger rear end in a top hat.

In part it's sort of a limitation that will always be present in this sort of thing, you don't have enough budget to create meaningful choices. That said yeah it's lovely and they have room for three options.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

DOOP posted:

Create the most out-of-context caption for this image

...worth the $250.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

InfinityComplex posted:

Yeah I was wondering "I don't remember the tower being that small" when I went through this part.

I'm pretty sure it's still under construction and that circular thing at the top is like the DV/CV from AT2.

• Locked thread