Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
That parfait is a perfect allegory for RPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I might have paid more attention to the previous Ar Tonelico LP if anyone had told me there was a fictional language involved. :saddowns:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I feel like the biggest sucker. Hymnos Chat gets me actually interested in this game, and then it's immediately followed by that.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
All that and Delta doesn't even take off his shirt.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Maybe the game does get better later, but that doesn't make what it is right now not awful. And even if it's nothing but gold from here on out, I'm not sure I can ever really forgive the character design and the looming specter of further nudity.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It really seems like Cass is the actual main character. Why aren't we playing as her instead of Amnesia McCipher here?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I don't get these people who make all their Songs a CLASS::. If you're singing about it, you probably want everything to be public anyway, so isn't it more elegant to just use a STRUCT::?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is every Genometrics going to lean on these incestuous meta-references for anime nerds, or is it just the first two?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Incarnation slows your body’s growth rate considerably. We’re artificially Incarnated, but it’s the same.
Cass and I are both over 20, even though we look a bit younger. I’ve forgotten my real age, though.
Ugh, not this old line. I figured they were supposed to look like adults, and it was just a quirk of the art that they didn't. I wouldn't have even questioned it if they hadn't brought it up.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

I think japan would sink into the sea if an Ar Tonelico game went by without a boob joke.
You say that like there aren't going to be more later.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Well that sure makes her interaction with Shirotaka about a million times creepier.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Delta's repeated talk about how he'll be the one to protect these poor vulnerable women is really starting to grate on my nerves.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

I don't know, I kind of have to forgive him for it because, as he noted earlier, trying to keep Cass safe is pretty much the only thing he's got left in his life.
Well, it it's not like it matters anyway, because now he's dead and we're switching to a completely different protagonist forever and we'll never see him again.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
So Ion's strategy for escaping a mental prison is to a build a robot to help her make a bomb and blow her way out.

She makes a good first impression.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
So that lady was called "Nelico", which is like "Tonelico" without the first two letters. And in "Cloudy Planet Nelitoarco", "Nelitoarco" is an anagram of "Ar Tonelico".

I don't understand what this is supposed to mean. It seems to just be a joke. It doesn't seem to mean anything. But it must mean something.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Earthes really is the player, then. Not just a player character, not just a player cipher, not just a metaphor for the player. Literally the player.

I can imagine that getting wanky really quickly, but it's been surprisingly restrained so far.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I can never tell which parts of these Genometrics mean something, and which are just random surreal wackiness for the sake of it. I can never tell what I should be paying attention to and what's just a gag.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

A few years pass; Delta & Cas reach their late teens. Cas uses the syringe she picked up near the end of Ciel Nosurge to become a hitogata/whatever you call reyvatails in Nosurge, Delta & Cas join PLASMA.
Let's just call a spade a spade here: they're song wizards.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Well as you note that's totally theoretically possible in future Surge Concerto games (hah yeah like it'll ever happen unless they potentially offer a female MC option or something).
That would be a hell of a letdown. I don't know why these games use male main characters to begin with when they don't even wring any good old fashioned homoeroticism out of them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This isn't what I meant when I asked for more homoeroticism. Not even a little bit.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Argas posted:

Edit: decided to watch the battle video and Ion's remarks are great.
Maybe the first time, but there doesn't seem to be much variety to them. They already started getting really repetitive just within that one fight.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 5, 2015

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
In principle, I like that the game is coming out and directly indicting the player for buying into its anime waifu crap. But in practice, literally everything else about the game makes that ring completely hollow... and then it immediately turns around and says "Actually, maybe it's okay after all" anyway. It's almost impressive how quickly and intensely it tries to have its cake and eat it too.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

It's sort of supposed to be like that. It's pointing out to us that Ion's taking advantage of our perception of her to get us to do whatever she wants us to, just like she did to Nay at the start of the phase. And we keep falling for it and doing whatever it is she wants.
I guess you have advance knowledge from later in the game, but from what I've seen so far, I just don't see this read of Ion as having secretly been a horrible manipulative rear end in a top hat this whole time. As much as I'd like to believe it.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
You must not moe. Moe is the mind-killer. Moe is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Is "PLASMA" supposed to stand for anything?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This background is a good example of what I meant when I said that I never know whether or not anything in this game is supposed to mean something. The first time I saw it, I figured that the signage could be meaningful, but the exact same shot gets reused a bunch of times in a bunch of different genometrics for a bunch of different people, so it plainly can't mean anything, even if some of it sometimes happens to seem relevant.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 18, 2015

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I mean, one-way communication from Delta to the player would be trivial. He'd just have to think of it and say something directly to them in a cutscene. It's only the other way around that's difficult, because in the end it's still a video game.

I feel like giving the player dialogue options really undermines this whole conceit. You're clearly not speaking them into a headset, or typing them in with the system keyboard, so where are they coming from?

In most games, the answer is obvious: they're things the character you're inhabiting might say in their current situation. But if I'm supposed to believe that there is no player character, and the player is the player is the player, and it's turtles none of the way down, shouldn't the player be able to say whatever they want as Earthes, or when they're possessing Delta? That's clearly impractical with our current technology, so in that case, surely it's better to make the player a silent protagonist.

Video games abstract things like this out of the way all the time, and that's fine, but when the game is going out of its way to remove layers of abstraction and put the player in the fictional world as themself, and it's a game that so clearly wants to me take its story and characters very seriously, I don't feel like that kind of dodge is really good enough.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Wales Grey posted:

Programming "enough" options and reactions to those options would be extremely time-consuming and use too many resources for a trivial feature.
Yes, exactly. That's why I said the player character shouldn't talk at all. Much better to make it a plot point that the player can't communicate in words at all than to say they can sort of communicate in words a little bit, but only sometimes, and they can only ever say one of these n prescribed things, whether n is 2 or 200.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

???: I didn’t really choose you./This game is fun.
I identify with this guy. I'd have picked a different protagonist too.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
This is a very silly video game.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Fairy Fencer has a pretty interesting premise and battle system, definitely worth $16.
On a scale of zero to Mugen Souls, how Compile Heart is it?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hellioning posted:

In contrast...well, it might just be the kinds of anime I watch, but I've seen so many heroines that have absolutely no self confidence it's getting on my nerves. It's an easy way to make the male character important while not actually having to do anything (make her feel better about herself by loving her for who she is!)

Kadorhal posted:

I think I'm just still bitter about tsunderes because of Neptunia Victory taking one of those sorts of characters who I actually liked and turning her into a bland, unlikeable, one-dimensional parody of herself. It's only been about a year since that LP, after all.
Look on the bright side: for all Neptunia's flaws, one thing it can never be accused of is having a heroine lacking in self-confidence.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Look on the bright side: for all Neptunia's flaws, one thing it can never be accused of is having a heroine lacking in self-confidence to make a male character look good.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Okay, I give up. I retract my positivity. The only good thing about Neptunia is the song Tenpei Sato made for Nisa.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

On this at least I think we can have some unambiguous consensus.
Do you know the lyrics? I can't think of a more appropriate way to end Ar Nosurge than on an ill-advised karaoke number from the one behind Earthes.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

I do actually no lie know the lyrics to EXEC_COSMOFLIPS from Qoga (I've even translated it) and I could probably do EXEC_HARMONIUS with a bit of preparation but I'm not sure what the thread has done wrong to deserve hearing me sing. Maybe if someone with talent will promise federal matching singing.
Can't help you there. I don't speak Hymnos.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Feinne posted:

Some other things that are fully in Hymmnos include EXEC_VIENA, EXEC_SPHILIA, and EXEC_HARMONIUS_FUSION.

SPHILIA and COSMOFLIPS are the 'easy' ones I'd say, since SPHILIA is largely built around repeated phrases (since large portions of it are structured as a conversation where Mir is convincing the Heart of Gaea that they're very alike and thus the Heart should yield to her) and COSMOFLIPS is built around repeating the same verse with tone changes to get across that there's different implications to the same words.

VIENA requires you to do some side reading or listen close to the actual song and compare to get that >>> is pronounced 'torr', 1 'ee', and 0 'oh' for the command line section at the start that uses SOL=FAGE to emulate Frelia.
It's all INTERCAL to me.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Barf.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I'm pretty sure I already went through all five stages of grief the first time, so hopefully we can skip straight to "acceptance" when it comes back around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
And it sounds like "aeon". That's probably supposed to be meaningful.

• Locked thread