Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
So...Delta losing part of his senses is probably the reason he can keep fighting without worrying about fatigue. Also, too bad he's too dumb to figure out even a rudimentary way of communicating with the player: just learning that the other person is human would probably be a big step up from whatever Lovecraftian horror Delta must think the player is right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Pollyanna posted:

What would they even do to communicate?

"Alright, I have this game board we used to play with on Ra Ciela here. Send me a message, please!"

"B-U-T-T-S-L-O-L"

At the very least, the player can control his movements directly, so a simple yes/no Q&A session is entirely possible without using words at all. Speaking of which, not using words is important here, because it's fairly obvious that Delta is being made to say things that neither he nor the player want him to say. That's where things are breaking down: Delta must think that the player is controlling his words (maybe even his thoughts) on purpose, when it's actually the interface between the two worlds that's failing. In fact, knowing that the interface with Delta is breaking down would probably be really useful right about now for everyone involved.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I think Ciel Nosurge mentioned that the machine is supposed to convey the player's emotions as opposed to the player's words: from the context of Delta's conversation with the player, the game likely assumes that the player is being driven mostly by a desire to advance in the game, and thus focuses on that to the exclusion of all else. As a result, the system tells Delta that we are advancing the story whether he likes it or not, resulting in what we see here.

That's also probably why the conversations with Delta are split between "normal" talk and "pervert" talk when the player takes over for him: the former drives the story forward, while the latter is an attempt by the system to force Delta's relationship with Cass forward. Needless to say, tact isn't considered a factor.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

InfinityComplex posted:

Not really there yet but I'm guessing that Interdimend hasn't been fully removed from Delta and Nelo and Prim are just loving with the core which is causing the system message to pop up randomly.

The Interdimend may have never been removed at all: we already know that Nelo was the one who controlled Delta for a time, but gave up when he proved too hard to control: that she didn't remove the Interdimend after that points to her still having a use for it. Thus, all Delta probably accomplished was a reset of the Interdimend to its original state; and with the original Earthes destroyed, Nelo has no reason to believe the player is still around to make use of her re-established connection. She probably tried to use the new device to re-exert control over him, but found that the reset was not only never fully completed, but Earthes just came back.

Now all Sarly has to do is randomly tap keyboard keys to run a magical Hollywood Hacker tracer that will find where Nelo tried to re-exert control over Delta...assuming this theory isn't all a load of crock, at least.

At the very least, Delta is an idiot for trusting the person who's made no secret of her desire to kill everyone and leave.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Mokinokaro posted:

It makes you wonder if Nelo's body is the same way.

Even better! The person who had Nelo's body originally is probably long dead, killed as soon as Nelo was forced into her current body. If not, then someone has been hanging around in a "fake" body for around 8000 years now. Either way, you can bet Nelo is really happy about how Ion has someone to share her misery with (Nay, who was wronged in the same procedure), whereas Nelo has been alone for thousands of years and has no one on her side. Ion even got lucky with the Earthes player, who is almost a literal White Knight (with Ion being an empress and all), whereas Nelo either got some rear end in a top hat who has "his" own agenda "he" is using her for, or is otherwise someone who shares a mentality with Tenzan from SRW.

Anyway, I have to admit that I really like how the game tries to bond the player with Ion: sure, it doesn't really work for us since its basically pay off for playing Ciel Nosurge, but it's still an interesting way of making the player attached to the heroine. Or rather, it's an interesting way to get the player to think about the nature of love and its relation with reality: more "can you really love a person you never meet" than "can you love a video game character", of course, as I really hope people don't think the latter is possible.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
It took awhile, but I think I've figured out why Ion's genometrics aren't really working, from a writers prospective: the main source of the problem is Ciel, where almost all of Ion's character development happened. The problem Ar Nosurge faces is that Ciel was basically a coming-of-age story where Ion...well, came of age. That means that the writers of Ar Nosurge had to figure out how to make Ion interesting without bringing back the problems she resolved in Ciel, as those problems could only come back logically with an amnesia plotline, and I believe I speak for everyone when I say, "dear lord no, not another amnesia story." That leaves only one real possibility to continue her story in an interesting way: her circumstances had to go through a massive change.

And that happened! Kind of. See, Ion relied heavily on her friends in Ciel, but here, she quickly found herself working against them to save the Sharl (and everyone else too). That's good: nothing is quite so dramatic as dear friends being forced against each other out of personal belief. Trouble is, this state of affairs was resolved too soon. WAY to soon. Sure, Ion saved Nay's life, and Ion's logic and actions were clear enough to make a protracted conflict between the friends feel arbitrary and forced, but the emotional fallout should have been another matter entirely. Being forced to attack one's friends isn't the kind of thing that should be patched up after a hug or two: Ion and crew should have suffered some major trust issues after that, taking time to mend the connection with each of Ion's friends. Instead, the writers seem to have glossed over that issue and focused on everyone's dependence problems instead.

Now, mutual dependence was certainly a problem in Ciel, and it certainly needed to be addressed at some point in this story, but the real center of Ion's genometrics should have been a fear that she'll never be able to truly reconnect with people she used to know, and they with her: a fear centered on the idea that living on board a space ship for thousands of years simply created too wide an emotional gulf for Ion to cross. THAT would be a logical extension of the greater story in Ar Nosurge; instead, we got a logical extension of what happened in Ciel, which just doesn't quite work.

TL;DR: Ion was given Ciel's problems as a priority in her genometrics, even though Ar Nosurge created different problems that should have been addressed first.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Glazius posted:

The thing is, if you do Ion up like that, about being betrayed by people and trying to reconnect, isn't she just kind of Cass 2.0 then?

That wasn't about betrayal: that was about Zill using Cass's darkest thoughts/fears against her by exploiting her crippling lack of self-esteem.We have no reason to suspect that any of Cass's friends would *actually* betray her to Zill for any reason, even if there's something about Cass they don't like. But Ion's friends *did* fight her. She may even have died, if the gravity hadn't been lowered where she fell.

Thus, Ion's problem is different: if other people become antagonistic towards her, she'll fight back. Instead, the real difficulty would be if Ion's friends were sincerely trying to go back to the level their previous relationship with her, but found that they couldn't, because Ion simply lacks the mindset that should go with being under siege for lord-knowns-how-many years; and since Ion is afraid of being alone, she would probably over-compensate by trying to forcibly reshape her relationships, making things worse (and thus requiring help from the player).

Instead, we got to learn about body-swap angst and Ion's co-dependence with others, neither of which needed the level of focus they got. The only thing really 'right' about Ion's genometrics was her relationship with the player, which was done really well and would have made a fantastic nadir if she was depressed by realization that she shouldn't be able to get her old relationships back as she originally had them. Instead, she should have been made to build new relationships, starting with the player and then expanding from there.

EponymousMrYar posted:

...The main thing that's sort of missing in Ion's dives is the Earthes connection. Being a literal interface device it's fine if the robot isn't given much personality but the player-insert is kinda-sorta taken for granted, even after Delta re-Interdimend's up. More conflict there, especially after Prim's Interdimend use stops being a mystery would have been interesting. A lack of faith or lingering doubts to be dispelled would have been perfectly understandable: 'I know you saved my life and I'm grateful but I barely know anything about you. What if you've been lying/playing nice with us just for your own satisfaction? Do you even care about us, being on the other side?' or something like that.

This is a good point, and increased player interaction directly with each of the characters as the game went on could have easily lifted the game from "decent" to "great", even with its problems: going from someone everyone suspects and fears to a friend/lover everyone would be heartbroken to be separated from would be an excellent use of the story mechanic.

Alas, the game may simply have lacked the time to make what would amount to an entirely new round of genometrics.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Lunar Suite posted:

P.S.: Finished reading the Ciel Nosurge summary. Cosal did nothing wrong, exterminate all humans.

Killing all the humans never really works out: one minute it looks like you're winning, and then suddenly a blonde dude with a huge sword impales you with the power of love. Or a bunch of crusaders from Terra show up and orbital-bomb everyone into submission. Or dread lord Cthulhu gets summoned and ends up wrecking space-time. Or maybe the blonde dude becomes dread lord Cthulhu to fight the crusaders from Terra.

Stick to just sticking the biggest jerks; it's better for everyone in the end.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

FractalSandwich posted:

I'm still hoping for that twist where Earthes turns out to be an alternate Nei Yuuki - maybe Prim can be a third one.

Presumably she's trying to destroy all the other Nei Yuukis and become The One.

..how can a robot, with no will of its own, be an alternate version of a human? It would make more sense for Earthes to be an alternate Playstation, as it acts as a medium for players in both worlds.

Prim though...I'm gonna put my money on Prim being Ion's sister from Earth: that would explain why Prim really doesn't give a drat about anything except returning the two Earthlings home, and would be rather upset at the idea that Ion doesn't actually care about her original family more than her new friends. Actually, it would be even worse then that: Ion's sudden disappearance probably disgraced their entire family, since everyone would think Ion either hated her family so much that she ran away, or was so depressed that she killed herself. Needless to say, a small community would find either shocking (to the point where Ion's family may have been effectively forced to move away), and Ion's parents would have been emotionally devastated.

So, with the family all hosed up, the sister becomes an introvert who plays video games all the time, only she comes across Ciel on day and realizes that her sister may be either Nelo or Ion (can't really be certain without a body or memories). So gently caress it! Bring them both back: if that works out, maybe her family could prove Ion was kidnapped instead, and they found her, maybe allowing them to get some semblance of their old lives back.

Of course, if all this is really the case, Prim learning that Ion is happier WITHOUT everyone she knew on Earth...well...that's an ugly rejection that reflects very badly on the Earthlings.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Omobono posted:

She isn't. Ion's dives make clear Nei Yuuki is still pissed about the kidnapping and that she'd go back home if she could.
It's just that she isn't willing to sacrifice millions (billions?) of people for that, people that for the most part were innocent of the crime against her. Not to mention having to collaborate with Zill, who is exhibit A for the "humanity needs to loving die" case.

Ion wants to go back to Earth because her powers are tied to Earth: she's like a positive magnet trying to live with the pull of a negative magnet on her *all the time*. Once that connection is severed, however, she believes that she and Nelo will be perfectly fine in their current world. On the other hand, Ion said that she's always felt inferior to her younger sister (who was better than her at everything they competed at), and that her family never approved of her unfeminine hobbies; Ion has never mentioned any of her Earth friends (by name or description) either.

Doesn't sound like she feels she's missing a whole lot.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Thuryl posted:

Welp, I was giving this game credit for actually managing a halfway mature depiction of Cass and Delta's relationship and now suddenly they're back to weird bickering. Did the game expect you to craft that last item much earlier than this or did the writers just forget that unresolved sexual tension doesn't really work when the characters are already in a relationship with each other?

Just think of it as relationship inertia: Cass isn't going to *completely* stop being tsundere just because she's finally gotten a chance to be honest. Granted, she'll probably stop eventually, but yelling at Delta has gotta be a habit by now.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

* Sigh * I want to use Hymmnos for someone else. Protecting each other… It sure sounds wonderful.
Don’t worry, Shurelia. I’m sure you’ll find a partner like that, soon.
I wonder…
No, I’m sure. You’re really cute, too.
He he he.
Be careful who you choose, though.
You should be especially careful ofAhahahahaohmy it hurts hold on.

Okay, you can do this. You’ve endured torture beyond understanding, you can do this without laughing.

:3: , even if the whole thing isn't terribly fair to Shurelia's fan-trampled rivals.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

I'm also already DEEPLY tempted to do some tests and get everything set up to record my PS4 and just straight kick up a Disgaea 5 LP when this is done because it's SO GOOD. And if not you're really likely to get Disgaea D2 which is also really good.

Better than the other games in the series? I kind of lost interest thanks to how repetitive the series feels...

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Omobono posted:

There's an Earthes / Sarly purification where she asks if you know Ar Ciel and one of the possible answers is "saved it thrice already", prompting her to declare that they must have hit Interdimend jackpot.

Actually, that one's kind of hilarious; probably because she believes you so readily. Joke's on her though: most of the actual saving was done by other people.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

It's definitely the best game in the series in terms of the actual game, it's even managed to conjure up a few 'oh gently caress off' situations in spite of the fact that I play that poo poo for keeps and don't wait for the postgame to do weird and crazy poo poo.

And ain't no Interdimend in Ar Ciel game can go pound sand for suggesting it.

Actual game as in just the gameplay alone, or the plot *and* gameplay, but before the post-game grinding? Either way, that's it's quite an endorsement; I'll be sure to pick it up sometime, when the price goes down a bit. Also, Fallout 4 and all.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Uh-oh, Cass...seems like you aren't safe just because that silver-haired vixen was an apocalypse too early. And this one isn't coming out of left field.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Honestly, Shirotaka's gimmicky personality is so blandly "WACKY OTAKU" that it's actually kind of hard to remember he even exists when people aren't talking to or about him in the scene; much less actually be offended by him. Maybe if people hadn't seen that kind of character before, but the chance that *this* game would be the one that introduces the Otaku character-type seems a bit...low.

At least Sarly has a character arc, and her body size is a good way of reminding the player that she isn't actually human without out-right giving her a cat tail and making her say "-nyha" at the end of very sentence, so she really isn't so bad. Actually, she may be the most interesting non-player character: Nay's "I want to relax from running the last bastion of survivors from our planet" by running a restaurant that serves bad food" isn't exactly relatable...unless you've actually worked in a restaurant as a cook/warmer of Cisco truck food, like a certain Goon: then it's drat near insulting.

If you don't have a small army of totally-legal-I-swear immigrants cleaning the floor and equipment, it practically *can't* be fun, even if Nay doesn't have to worry about the bad hours and actually making food people will eat. But that's not the unreal part: what's *really* inconceivable is that Nay hasn't passed out during a break even *once*...or been too drunk to actually do anything in the kitchen.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

I don't think we can be sure Nay has been sober even once tbqh.

If she isn't asking her genius friend to find some way to get the Sharl plastered, she doesn't deserve to be Empress. How can the Sharl learn to live with humanity if they can't understand why we keep finding ways to get plastered, no matter how dangerous the actual result is (like drinks made from torpedo fuel)?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

I've been pretty sick the past couple days and still am, update in the next couple of days or so.

Don't worry about, that crap happens all the time in wint...

Wait a minute...Sharl don't get sick! You aren't a Sharl at all! Oh gods, my life is a LIE!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

I still feel pretty lovely and haven't had a chance to record more ar nosurge for the next update, hopefully in the next couple days?

I could post an extremely japanese bloodborne video or something if you just HAVE to have more :japan: before then.

..what makes a Bloodborne video extremely Japanese? Did...did someone make a waifu ranking for all the women in the game? Did fake Iosefka get a high rank? Because fake Ioesefa is totally best waifu.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Through a chain of events I will not elucidate my character has tentacles and I have some videos of fighting some chalice dungeon bosses with them.

Also I'm pretty sure Fake Iosefska is already taken, and you'll never be able to compete for her attentions with Oedon-senpai.

The Lovecraftian nature of Bloodborne is already well known, so that doesn't really need spoilers anymore; the chalice dungeons might though, since some people may be waiting to get it for Christmas to get the full game.

And rub it in with Fake Iosefka, why don't you :saddowns:. I don't want prizes and Insight; I just want you to notice me, Senpai!

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Blah blah busy with the holidays, and I do still technically need to record a bit too. Later in the week.

December is a dead month; anything worth doing is worth putting off until January.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Merry spacemas from all your friends on Ar Ciel and Ra Ciela everyone.

Merry Xmas; please remember that the destruction of humanity is still considered a bad gift in polite circles. Horribly unethical scientists don't count as human though, so feel free to go nuts there.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Yeah that's just how the game is set up, we literally could not do these until just before the end of the game.

I might seriously just push on and finish things, we're so loving close. Then I can do the Shirotaka dives at my leisure. This LP is really kinda dragging on me as I'm sure you can tell.

EDIT: Yeah double checked and I can end the game at any time, I might try and record the final boss and get Delta/Cass's ending and have that up at some point this week, then record Ion/Earthes so I can do that while I'm traveling for work the first of the year.

Not gonna lie, I really want to see what the hell is up Pram's puppeteer: we've been waiting over half the bloody game to find out, and it's still a mystery. And for the record, still guessing Ion's sister.

Glazius posted:

A rein-carnation.

I'm going to start punting people into space now and I'm not going to stop until someone apologizes for that.

One doesn't apologize for terrible puns; one doubles down on them :colbert:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Got Delta and Cass' version of the ending, and was reminded that the final boss of Ar Nosurge is in fact divine punishment on a weary world for its sins because holy gently caress is it an awful fight.

Like Mir continues to be the best actual boss fight in the series (InfelxNenesha is really close) what the gently caress Gust original Ar Tonelico should not still be eclipsing your poo poo.

Anyway it's in the can and the raw is encoding so I can work with it, hopefully that goes well (it's loving enormous, because the whole shebang takes like an hour and a half) and I can get videos cut to do the first half of an ending like Friday or so.

The fight takes an hour and a half, or the entire ending? Because the former would well and truly be horrific.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

The whole process but the fights are a LOT of it. I'd say at least forty minutes of final boss fighting, and one of the longer phases even has a pretty blah music track.

Okay so here's thing one to remember: there are effectively SEVEN phases to this loving fight and every single one of them is boring as gently caress.

Ouch.

Argas posted:

What is this, some kind of old school MMO boss?

I can't help but be reminded of this:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
So wait...if Zill is dead, does that mean we won't get to learn why she didn't recognize Delta or Cass, back when Zill was still human? Because that was kinda weird, considering that she knew them from the first game.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

FractalSandwich posted:

I guess a song wizard did it, right?

If you watch the video, you can see that they're *clearly* standing on top of the triangle menu button; except when the camera shifts, but *THAT* is totally the song wizard's fault. Also,

COME ON COME ON LETS GO GOOD GOOD I'M LEAVING THIS ONE UP TO YOU LEAVE THIS TO ME REALLY GOOD LEAVE THIS TO ME CAST BY DIVINE JUDGEMENT COME ON COME ON LETS GO HOW ABOUT THIS CAST BY DIVINE JUDGEMENT LEAVE THIS TO ME YOU HAVE TO PROTECT ME NOT BAD LEAVE THIS TO ME CAST BY DIVINE JUDGMENT COME ON COME ON LETS GO DON'T STOP NOW HOW ABOUT THIS CAST BY DIVINE JUDGEMENT COME ON COME ON LETS GO :bang: HEY YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO PROTECT ME :suicide:

Please Cass...please, please just shut up; just one minute, for one loving minute, that's all I'm asking. What? I should stop being such a jerk? You know, I'd seriously consider letting your world burn if Prim wasn't so drat insufferable.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 3, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
I'm almost willing to bet money that the Ion ending doesn't really "work" (from a narrative perspective) unless the player has completed Ciel, as Ion's "we've been through so much" speech feels like a placeholder that only exists for the player who haven't a Ciel save file; at the very least, I hope that's the case, since I'd be pissed if I waited through two years of another game (Ciel) and didn't get a special ending for the game that actually concludes Ion's story with the player.

Sadly, that would mean the US version lacks what would practically HAVE to be the canon ending, which kind of sucks...but I guess the ending with Cass and Delta kinda makes up for it, since this game is mostly their story without a Ciel save to work with, so ending with them is only logical.

Still, not knowing the canon ending is a little vexing...

Edit: Also, NotPrim was super dumb; he was just a random jerk who thought we was winning a game this whole time? What kind of game did he think he was playing? The only way to salvage the character would be DLC where you play as Prim, thus proving that people *will* actually play as a sadist, given the chance...but that creates a list of its own problems.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jan 7, 2016

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Icedude posted:

Well it turns out that in that video from that stream that showed his end of this fight I mentioned earlier, it turns out that about then his mom comes in and pulls the plug on his computer and yells at him to stop playing video games all day and get a job. I'm not even joking, that's how GUST wrote their main villain out.

Personally, I think that's actually a pretty fitting way to end things: people who don't actually go out into the world and do things don't have the right to influence the fate of people from another world. Player 2 was living a power fantasy in another world while refusing to take any control of his own life, and he ultimately paid for it in both his world and the game's.

Too bad GUST doesn't really have the right to call out other people for being lame, since they continually fail to at both narrative and game structure. In this case, the player controlling Prim should have made the power fantasy part of his character more obvious throughout the game, and should have subtly revealed just how pathetic his own life is through his mockery, as well as using the "not so different" trope to try and win the actual player over to his line of thinking: something like, "you're playing this game because you're powerless in your would too, right?" People who put forth effort in their own lives could laugh at him and call him out, and people actually like not-Prim would have some thinking to do about their own lives.

On a side note, did we ever learn why Delta opened that gate? Was not-Prim in control? If so, what was not-Prim trying to accomplish?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

And we will be seeing Ion's side of the ending, I just don't have it recorded and can't until I'm home from (as I've mentioned) travel for work. I also need to steel myself enough to record Shirotaka's dives, they're both really long and pretty :smith: (extremely so for Ion's honestly since it's literally the story of Why Ion Is Fine Never Going Home). For one thing it cements Ion as the gooniest protagonist of all time because she suffers terribly from nerdproblems.

Well, she's already told us that she was more-or-less alone on her planet, because her family didn't understand why Ion was into mechanical stuff, and the other girls were (are?) a bit more interested in things more feminine than robots and power tools. I also think she's also in some rural town(?), which wouldn't help her find people with similar hobbies. Meanwhile, all her friends are on Ra Ciela, having wacky adventures while she's doing boring homework she either already knows the answer to or isn't interested in.

She was the empress of a planet, one of the seven heroes who made a new planet, and she married a robot controlled by someone from another dimension: how the hell is the life of an average high-school student going to keep her interested? How many times can she turn down the local sports champion before people start treating her like an ice queen, making her even more isolated than when she was first abducted? I'd give her a month before she flips out, builds a gate back to Ra Ciela and bolts.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Tarezax posted:

Ulillillia? :v:

Nah, Ukulele. The planet is pure loving madness:

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

justlysarcastic posted:

I dug around a little out of curiosity and found what you were talking about.

Unless I got misdirected, that's the image you get by connecting the two games after getting Ion's ending. There's supposed to be a voicemail with it too, but I couldn't find that.

That's because it's in Japanese; ShiroSouji on Gamefaqs claims that it says:

"She successfully returned back home and arrived back at almost the same time in which she disappeared so she was happy it didn't cause too much of a fuss. She talks about how it's a bit too peaceful there and how it's also lonely. She explains that she's going to use a machine that's tied to the Exapico universe to send you the message she's making now. She worries that if she does, there's a chance that she might get sent back to Ra Ciela, however she also states that it might not be a bad thing since it also means she might get a chance to meet you again. The reason why she's sending you a message is because in the game you and Ion got married so she thought as your wife it was strange that she couldn't contact you and wanted to make some sort of message for you, as your wife. Then she starts to cry a bit and says that instead of cheering you up that because of her crying you might end up worrying about her. She then sort of recaps about the time when you made contact in Nelico's world, the time in which you were destroyed and rebuilt and she thanks you for being there for her. She also talks about the feeling that she won't ever be able to meet you but she says that she's studying hard to find a way to meet you in person. She then says she's about to cut off soon and thanks you but continues on about if you're happy then she's happy. Again, she states the she's going to try her hardest at researching for a way to meet you. She tells you she loves you and talks about no matter how far the distance is between you two, the bonds that you two have connects both of your hearts together. She tells you to be well and then says "arigatou watashi no taisetsuna anata" and it cuts off there.

There's another voicemail that say's she's glad the message she sent got through and recalls an event about something to do with some sort of strawberry dish(I didn't know what it was or what the event was but I figured it was probably something in Ciel nosurge) and then says she would like to talk longer but she has school and then says goodbye and winds up the music box which plays the op theme of the game and she leaves. After a few moments the message cuts off."

But again, it's in Japanese

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Tired Moritz posted:

Nah, she got brown eyes, different from Ion/Nay's blue eyes.

She also lost her hour-glass body shape, meaning she has a more normal body type: probably forgot that she can't just song wizard away the pounds anymore while she works those circuit boards in the bunny kit. Maybe that's why she's throwing her bust at the camera? Yeah, that's totally it, not GUST being :japan:.

Incidentally, the USANO sticker (from Vocaloid) is kind of funny, given what Ion says about not understanding the appeal of Neuroki.

Feinne posted:

Okay maybe it's a good thing we didn't get that content...Also I think I'm going to replay AT2 soon because I miss proper good gust games.

Ouch.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Yeah it's just awful and I'm pretty sure it's not the canon ending anyway.

The third Ciel Talk Pack is what gives me doubt:

quote:

File 19: Desired Future

If [you] think she will be really happy returning to her world, [you] must challenge yourself to a great battle in order to solve everything. However, that would only mean [you] are still lacking in power.

Since [you] are from a different dimension, it was necessary for [you] to make use of the knowledge possessed by the people of this world in which [you] are interfering. And there is only one thing known by the single girl who received these interferences. However, the death of that girl couldn't be avoided in none of all the possible Fifth Axis existing out there. If that girl's death can't be prevented, then search for a method to call back her soul to this world afterwards.

In order to do that, [you] will need the crystal of miracles that [you] were given by your Ar Ciel friends.

The translation seems kind of shoddy (probably because the writers were being faux vague), but I suspect it means "You don't have the power to return Ion to her world by using Interdimend alone, so you need to find some other way to save Prim by asking your new friends for help."

That actually fits very well as an ending to the games theme: you've been using Interdimend to solve all your problems thus far, but you've finally run across a problem that can't be solved with it; as such, you need the help of the people who have been relying entirely upon you up until this point instead. The only problem is that the file is implying that it's better to let Prim (sorry, "that girl") die if you think Ion is happier in her current world; I really can't believe that's what they actually meant, so I take the file to mean instead "Saving Prim and sending Ion home is canon", with canon not actually mean "better" in this case.

Basically, the writers are trying (and failing) to subtly indicate that Ion only goes home if the player wants her to, as opposed to her coming up with the decision entirely by herself, as she uses the player's choice of Delta/Cass or Earthes/Ion as a kind of mental coin flip to decide. And it makes sense, if you think about it: choosing Delta and Cass shows that they're important friends to you to, so Ion decides that staying with them isn't really a betrayal to you, which only leaves Ion's family to consider...and Ion apparently decides that her family loses. It's an understandable choice, from what we know of her relationship with them, but still kind of hard core. Of course, that leaves out what Nelo wants, but Ion has made it fairly clearly that she's not nearly as selfless as she tries to come across (sorry, Nelo!).

Also, consider reading it for yourselves, since it actually addresses a few points with Zill and Nay that should have been covered, but weren't: for example, it reveals that Zill put the tracking spell on Cass and Delta, and she was planning to throw them (and Sarly) into the flask sea if the rescue attempt succeeded. As things turned out, her failure to capture them is what tipped Zill off about their use of Interdimend.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Icedude posted:

I have to agree there. While it's technically the 'best' ending for everyone, it really seems tacked on for the sake of needing a sequel hook more than anything.

Better yet, they can do a sequel OR claim Ion's story is "finished"; it's pretty much the ultimate corporate "if we sell X units of the game we'll make a sequel" style cop out.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Sadly the sort of people who'd do one are also the sort who'd do the other because they tend to be on the 'literal translation' side of localization.

I'll actually say the main way you see the benefits of localization is in humorous scenes, otherwise you end up with poo poo where you need a bunch of extra stuff to explain the joke that you were supposed to get but don't because it doesn't translate well into English.

It's Japan's fault for believing that puns and word play are the highest form of humor and should be in everything; wordplay jokes are EVERYWHERE. Here's an example of what I mean,

quote:

A man spotted his friend on a plane and yelled out to him, "Hi, Jack!"
The man was immediately thrown to the ground.

The best localizers can do with jokes like these are:
1. Actually notice that the sentence IS a joke, as opposed to just weird phrasing.
2. Try to work in an English equivalent, which is really hard and is rarely funny enough to be worth the trouble.
3. If there is no English equivalent, replace the joke with something that doesn't break the flow and character of the dialog.
4. If the joke can't really be replaced, throw in a placeholder and hope nobody notices.

The jokes really can't be left in, because they would make no sense. You get something like:

"He drove his luxury car into a tree and found his Mercedes broke." instead of, "He drove his expensive car into a tree and found out how the Mercedes bends."

The 'meaning' technically gets across, but it completely misses the point.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Which ironically was probably whoever was doing it trying to be more faithful to the Japanese. The game definitely shows there was a team of people who weren't always working that closely together, it's really obvious the game itself got the best people, then the Dives, and then very loving last the chat and such. Like I don't want to be rude but drat if the chats don't have a lot of problems.

The chats were probably given a priority of "do as many as you can, but don't let them delay our release". It's understandable too, since no one would want to be the guy who has to say, "hey boss, we need more time to translate the parts of the game that don't matter to the plot, and only develop the characters in a few minor ways. It should only be another three months or so where we aren't making any money. No problem, right?"

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

Oh yeah any rhyme or reason to them was kinda broken by the translation.

God replaying it is also really pointing out how poo poo our villains in this game are. 2 has loving tons of antagonists and they're all pretty great.

Like they need to loan this game even some minor ones like Laude and Chester or something.

Hm…Oh, let me guess…
Snatched by a shadowy limb, and dragged off to the past?

..no? Interde-what?
Oh, well, my mistake…
But we are both travellers.
We ought to help one another out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Feinne posted:

That you can probably blame some dickhead Ra Cielan for.

Really everything bad in these games is caused by some dickhead science dude with no conscience shortly before their hubris destroys them.

What? You have to speak louder, I've got some female subjects down in the lab who keep screaming because of all the injections. I *tried* to reason with them, that anesthesia would disrupt the readings we get directly from their brain, and that screaming all the time is causing unnecessary stress on the technicians, but...ah hell, the klaxon's going off again; I better set the self-destruct and get out of here with all my files before all the guards die. Don't want to have to start from scratch again; fool me once, right?

• Locked thread