Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I find it kinda hard to sympathize with Delta and Cass and the rest of humanity. I mean even though they have been pushed to the brink, pretty much everything that has happened to push them to the brink has been entirely humanities fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Clarste posted:

Not these particular humans though. Should these random colonists be punished for the sins of 5000 years ago?

I don't think that the colonists should be punished for the sins of 5000 years ago but when it comes to sympathies it is all generally about how you present it. You can give a character the most tragic back-story every that should make them completely sympathetic but if it isn't presented well then the character doesn't come across as sympathetic which is what I feel with Delta, Cass and humanity in this game.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Feinne posted:

Yeah, but a star's a pretty durable thing. They might have cut years off its lifespan with their dimensional fuckery at an accelerated pace but they'd almost certainly have had the same problem eventually even without.

Wouldn't they have had to have cut off billions of years of Bezels(the star Ra Ciela orbits) life span to turn it into a red giant? The transformation of a normal star into a red giant is a part of the stars life cycle the problem with bezel is that it happened way ahead of schedule because of Ion and Nelo. Although how much they damage they do to the universe is something that seems variable, since at one point they just mess up a star while at another they apparently cause the entire universe to start breaking down.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Prims is being unusually quite. Usually she loves to talk to her mommy and daddy.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also Cosal's existance is proof that the Genom being exterminated was a good thing, because if they allowed this rear end in a top hat to lead them, then I fail to believe the whole pure-soul race thing.

I wouldn't be to sure, I mean I read the Ceil Nosurge summary and honestly considering the assholes humanity had leading them its a miracle that it took Cosal this long to become a humanity hating jerk. Honestly even with Cosal doing his best to be a jerk he still doesn't even begin to measure up to them.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Not gonna lie I still find it hard to feel sympathy or care for most of the characters especially the heroes and Ions plan really isn't helping my opinion of them.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
This is really a strange situation for me because this is one of the few stories where I kinda want the protagonist to lose. There is just such a disconnect with actually caring about what happens to these characters, usually I'm on the protagonist side, or I at least enjoy them as characters, but here there is just none of that and I end up wanting the protagonist to lose.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
When I played Disgaea 4 I remember feeling that everything after chapter 7 was a downward spiral. Things felt rushed and came across as a bit forced especially with certain plot points that just made things really confusing.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I definitely think you should go DD2. It'll be a nice introduction to a lot of the mechanics that were improved in D5 and it also introduced the Cheat Shop (Seriously I don't think I can play a Disgaea game that doesn't have the Cheat Shop in it anymore.)

Also going with DD2 will allow us to get reacquainted with a certain character that has some very important implications for the plot of D5. That being that D5 is actually a prequel to the rest of the series.

Plus I also have some problems with D4, a major one being that after a certain point, it feels like the plot just falls apart and crashes. But those are things that will come later.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
Isn't "player 2" just grinding out 100% completion in his game like they've already done the good ending with Nelo, and now they're just getting the bad endings for the trophies, and well because it is fun to be jerk in video-games. I don't think anyone can say they haven't been an jerk in video-games just for fun.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
You know, I think I actually like Aoto it more then any character in this game. Aside from Nelo, I just find it hard to care about any of the other characters. I mean they may have sympathetic back stories but ehh... I just find it hard to care.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I think the 3rd type can be done well. Take Disgaea 3's villain and the DD2's villain those were done well and the endings for both of them were good, also the whole sympathy aspect didn't really feel forced with those two. However it can be done badly Take Disgaea 4's villain, seriously when the way that you are making your villain sympathetic is voice over and then saying everyone felt sorry for him you've kinda failed, it also doesn't help when your villain doesn't actually seem like they are strong enough to even be the villain.

Also something that I was wondering about was that if there are wills of the planet, are there such things as wills of the galaxy or wills of the universe. I curious as to how things would have turned out if there were such things.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
To be honest I think that you could easily make Player 2 more dangerous and Nelo a bit more sympathetic by simply giving Player 2 more power. It was already mentioned before how creepy the interdimend is and how much creepier it would be if you could use it on multiple people at once, why not give player 2 that ability. In fact make Player 2 a hacker who has given himself infinite health, infinite attack, the ability to control multiple people at once, and multiple features that you have no way of using, you could even have Player 2 threaten the others with forcing them to go through what Nelo had to go through. You could easily use Player 2 to give off the feeling that while the cast was lucky to get you helping them, the interdimend is the type of technology that people really should not be screwing around with. Also you could easily drop the 100% thing and just have Player 2 doing all this for fun. In fact you could actually have Player 2 state that they do know of a way to get Nelo home without killing everyone they're just not using it because they want to screw with everyone. Basically give off the feeling that Player 2 isn't just evil, they are a smug rear end in a top hat.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

The problem there is that it loses the "joke" of Prim' player, since he's basically the stereotypical creepy otaku: doesn't do anything all day but play games, has a disturbing fondness for young girls with flat chests, has familiarity with computers instead of actual skill (like the ability to code)...basically, Prim is the "meta" player/fan of the Ar series. If Gust made him someone who seems genuinely threatening or capable on a personal level (as opposed to just being capable because of Interdimend) than the character wouldn't work, because he's supposed to mock Gusts fans by being generally worthless.

Of course, now we see the problem: how does one write a character who's worthless into something worthy of a final boss? The best answer is that you don't: Zill should have been the one fighting the player at the end, with Prim acting as a red hearing to fool the main player into thinking that Prim's player is something more than he actually is. The game is already more-or-less set up for this, so it would probably have been the best route to take.

If, however, someone REALLY wanted Prim to be the main antagonist from some reason, the best way to do it would be at the meta level: basically, the threat of the enemy player should be that he's unbeatable because he can reload the game, same as us. Thus, the only way to beat him would be to break his will: keep confronting him with just how much of a loser he actually is, mock him for trying to control the fate of another world while he refuses to take control his own life, remind him that he doesn't even have friends in the game, let alone real life, and let the game's characters in on the 'fun'. Basically, make the player beat Prim's player by saying things that would make the 'average' otaku squirm, until the game becomes simply too painful for him to play.

I still don't think it would make a memorable final battle, but it *would* fit Prim's player character much better than what actually happened...and it might also seriously unnerve some of the game's players, since some (or all, god help them) of that would apply to the them as well.

I don't think the joke of Prim's player loses anything, he can still be a creepy person it is just that he has more power. The thing about the Prim's player is that while he may be pathetic to us he is still very dangerous, plus in the end most villains end up coming across as pathetic. Also one of the main things I feel is that when comparing him to Zill is that in truth Zill doesn't actually compare to the threat level that the other player can provide. I mean he would already know what the heroes are going to do, how they are going to do it, and when they are going to do it, that would basically mean that the heroes would be dealing with a enemy that holds all the cards, which is something that Zill doesn't really measure up to. Especially if since as a hacker it would prove that he has the skills to do more with his life he just chooses not to. It would also help counterbalance the advantage that the player has with having two open channels.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011

Feinne posted:

Actually question:

Any interest in seeing the alternate synthesis chats for anything?

Since Ion can synthesize almost all of Cass's things and vice versa.

Which ever ones you think would be the funniest or the ones that you could finish the fastest, and easiest, since you really seem to want to start a DD2 or D5 LP.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I got Saki.... not sure what that means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I think it is either a toss up between that one or the one for PS4 but both are really good.

• Locked thread