Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
So, we're, like, two for two now on "Civilizations that discovered the Power of Song and also blew up their planet"? EXA_PICO may be the one universe where being a Luddite has history on your side.

I'd've imagined our Narrator being rather annoyed at the idea of a single Master Control song for the entirety of the ship's mechanical security forces. EXEC_DESPEDIA had serial numbers attached to it to prevent exactly the kind of abuse that CIEL_N_PROTECTA got.

CIEL_N_PROTECTA's lyrics are straightforward yet powerful. I like to listen to it at work.

code:
QuelI->{
		EXiV[zep]->{tikz ethes & walm dia}
}->Exec->[TzW];
	Oh God of Myriads, oh Lord of the Wings! Descend!
QuelI->EXiv[obe]->{ethes}->ExeC->{TzW};
	Obey God!
QuelI->EXiv[liz]->{hymel f ethes}->ExeC->{TzW};
	Listen to the voice of God!
QuelI->EX[sep]->ExeC->{TzW};
	Stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
"Ne li to ar co"... Subtle.
Actually, I have a question... we have control of Class::CIEL_N_PROTECTA now, right? Do we ever remember that? Summon a Child of Light equivalent to soften up a boss? Use our robot army to combat the Sharl? Anyone? Anyone? ...Bueller?
Anyway, it's kinda refreshing to see Ion freeing herself. It's not quite a subversion of the Reyvateil in distress (and no one will be as hardcore as Cocona) but it's something.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Well, Ra Ciel is gone, but considering Wave Science's track record... at least it was intentional. The Grathnode Inferia was sabotage and EXEC_over.METHOD_SUBLIMATION and EXEC_Z were smaller scale.
Finally, someone sung the song that ends the world, but it was a good guy!
...That's something to be proud of, right?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

The Akane:

One glass, water. Chilled.
For every glass you drink, replace n * 10% with vodka. Or would that be the Raki?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Cosal, please put on some pants. For a Ken doll furry, you're... bulging a lot. :stonk:

Is it ever elaborated on what precisely binds Nelo and/or Ion into the EXA_PICO universe?
...Then again, if they were soul-napped, their original bodies might've, well, not fared well in the interim years.
Actually wait wasn't Nelo the core of REON? How can people still use Songs then?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

megamariox posted:

Although how much they damage they do to the universe is something that seems variable, since at one point they just mess up a star while at another they apparently cause the entire universe to start breaking down.

So what you're saying is that Ion and Nelo are Cthulhu.

Wave science! :argh:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

I can't decide...

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Hey, Nero. Infel called. She wants her nefarious plot back.

Edit: I want an Ar Tonelico game that uses similar tech to Crypt of the NecroDancer - Import your own songs into an ATII style battle system and hit them to the beat. As you level up, tack more hits or effects on.

I want to make Voltaire's "Death death (devil devil evil evil songs)" my battle hymn.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 8, 2015

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

It's interesting because they're both antagonists making some really bad decisions based on their fatal flaw. Nelo is so desperate to get home that she's not even willing to stop for a moment and consider the fullness of this plan she's a part of (when it gets expounded on next time you should notice a VERY OBVIOUS problem), while Infel was so absolutely arrogant that she considered any hope for the world impossible entirely because she had failed at Metafalica and to her that meant it couldn't be done.

For a series about the power of individuals with strong feelings, and villains who should be aware of that, they do have a very literal take on "human resources".

So uh - when the time comes for Nelo to click her blood red slippers made from the souls of a thousand orphans, does she even know where to look for her home? Or when? Oversight might give her the means, but it's a big multiverse out there.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Prim, I know you were conceived from the minds of an amnesiac and... Casty, but are you really so alien to human concepts that you don't see how what CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE; does it, well, insane?

Also that's the maternal Overseer? ...disappointing. Ryuju had a better design than that.

Also - life force mode? The ship consumes life force now? Wasn't it running on the AR NOSURGE tube, which is another white hole device?

e: So what precisely is Zill's plan?

1) Create an army of sharl, use the mindless one to collect people-souls (the high-frequency Genom souls in the Micro Quasar don't work)
2) Fuse into Maternal Overseer
3) ???
4) PROFIT

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

I thought Nelo has similar crazy oversight powers like Ion is supposed to have? Didn't she sixth-axis (probability) move the entire universe at some point to be one where A Competent Character would be someone willing to go along with sending her home?

ATI really is the only game where we have something resembling admin tools for these crazy song magic computers. It wouldn't work on Genom but I kinda wish I had a pastiche on Ar Tonelico where Aurica/ Misha goes around and sings EXEC_PURGER and ruins everyone's plans.
EXEC_Z? Access denied.
EXEC_over.METHOD_SUBLIMATION? Nope.
CLASS::EXSPHERE_NOSURGE? PURGER.

Anyway Delta appears to be seven-dimensionally mindfucked and soon a tiny Zill will chestburster her way out of his head.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

The remainder of our entire species is either fused with Bazongas McHitler, being turned into spaceship fuel, or hiding in a closet in Quanturf.
Our biggest hope is a giant naked furry, who's also a big jerk; our best weapon right now doesn't do much more than giving McHitler's hive mind indigestion.
Our resources are two flavours of tsundere, a robot, an amnesiac idiot and Ion, and we have manage our diplomated efforts whilst Prim has her rebellious teenager phase, telling us how much we suck.

We really should have used a mind condom.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

megamariox posted:

I wouldn't be to sure, I mean I read the Ceil Nosurge summary and honestly considering the assholes humanity had leading them its a miracle that it took Cosal this long to become a humanity hating jerk. Honestly even with Cosal doing his best to be a jerk he still doesn't even begin to measure up to them.

Yeah, I think at this point Cosal would be barred entry into the rear end in a top hat club by a cardboard cutout of Harvestasha Vista, with the caption "you must be at least this much of a jerk to ride".

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Also why does Prim have a satellite. This isn't age appropriate.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Glazius posted:

And then once they take control of the ship they'll... route power back to the Flask Sea, even with people getting pulled out of it all the time?

No, with the reset of the power router we're stealing cable harvesting power from beyond the seven dimensions with the Ar NoSurge tube again. Essentially a white hole device/perpetual motion machine similar to the Orgel of Origins that drives the First Tower of Ar Tonelico (hell, maybe that's what the Ar NoSurge connects to).

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

For a seven-dimensional game, a lot of these characters sure lack any dimension above the second.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

We also in AT2 were in fact using the antagonist's old superlaser powered by friendship in several ways.

Infel is life. Infel is love. REPLEKIA is Infel.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

I like how Zill, whose charisma and intelligence was a major factor in letting the antagonists get this far, has been reduced to a complete nonentity in super robot cosplay. After Mir and Infel/Nenesha it's disappointing to have antagonists who are so... I dunno, "become God and space out devouring other sapient beings whilst rambling about THE BEAUTY" just seems far less interesting than "fulfil your lifelong dream of rescuing your people from suffering and poverty". Nelo's "I just wanna genocide home" is a bit more interesting but you'd figure at this point she'd be sick of the prices paid for her.
Also AT really likes apotheosis/instrumentality as a villain goal. ATII had it twice, ATIII had the reyvaroids - yes, losing your values and ethics in a blind struggle for power/survival is bad. Yes it's a foil to the protagonists succeeding through voluntary cooperation in contrast to your forced harmony. Two in harmony surpass one in perfection.

As a human Zill was competent and a threatening antagonist with a scary high level of knowledge about the ship and wave science, making herself a genome hybrid so she can sing without REON or a partner, making sharl and loving poo poo up. Now she floats about doing nothing unless provoked by a cut scene.
Zill turned into an almighty idiot. She's Giygas at this point.

Also do we just stop using CLASS::EXPAJA? I was under the impression we can at least give Zill some wicked heartburn.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

The wiki at least claims that CLASS::EXPAJA creates virtual replicas of the barriers between individual souls ('qualia') and instills feelings of rebellion in the newly-partitioned consciousnesses. That's why I said "heartburn" - run properly, CLASS::EXPAJA should tear the Maternal Overseer apart from the inside and the more souls she's absorbed the more ammo he have. It recreates the mind-barriers that CLASS:EXSPHERE_NOSURGE forcibly removes.
Unfortunately the effect is too weak to make Zill asplode.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

I suspect it's an issue of power, we'd probably need to use CLASS::CIEL_NOSURGE and tap out the ship's power to actually get it started now that she's gotten spun up a bit.

Now we probably COULD use it to pull Nelo back out, that's much easier than anyone else because she's being kept separate so Zill can use her Oversight. But in practice doing so right now would be a bit tricky.

Were their bodies absorbed, too, or is that priviledge reserved for important, named characters we need to get out again? Otherwise, man, that'll start to smell soon. ATII had a few people die during that whole "Infel Phira eats your soul" business, if I remember correctly.

I think Zill neglected the fact that her soul may attain a seven-dimensional composition, but her mind, her consciousness, her values and ideas were all four-dimensional, so she's, well, tripping balls.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Where's my gay option, GUST. What if I wanna romance a seven-dimensional lumberjack who pipes out CLASS::DEATHMETAL.

Where are the gayvateils.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 28, 2015

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

We've established this they were an ending option in AT2.

It'll be interesting to see what might be coming for the Nosurge series, since things work differently here than they did in the AT series.

Basically the various artificial human bits that separated Reyvateils from regular people weren't compatible with male biology (and I'm pretty sure this was on purpose in-universe). Here where we are they do Song Magic a bit differently and nothing actually precludes for example a male singer.

Well, Aoto is technically a male Reyvateil, just that if he ever tries to craft a Song, the SH server won't recognize him properly and write garbage all over his cosmosphere. Thanks, Archia!

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

You know for such a complex and advanced system the towers seems to lack very basic data integrity features like proper verification procedures (to prevent, say, spoofing your own hymn code to impersonate someone else, which happened at least twice in this series from my recollection) or even basic Memory Protection.

Does the Ar Tonelico system even have anything resembling a segfault? :v:

We don't even have a proper task manager; the closest we have is EXEC_PURGER, which is wonky at best.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Listening to the Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance soundtrack, I am feeling "The only thing I know" (Jetstream Sam's theme) as an alternate song for Delta.

quote:

Memories broken
The truth goes unspoken
I’ve even forgotten my name

I don’t know the season
Or what is the reason
I’m standing here holding my blade

A desolate place
Without any trace
It’s only the cold wind I feel

It’s me that I spite
As I stand up and fight
The only thing I know for real

There will be blood-shed
The man in the mirror nods his head

The only one left
Will ride upon the dragon’s back

Because the mountains don’t give back what they take
Oh no
There will be blood-shed
It’s the only thing I’ve ever known

Losing my identity
Wondering have I gone insane
To find the truth in front of me
I must climb this mountain range
Looking downward from this deadly height
And never realizing why I fight

I really want an Ar Tonelico/Audiosurf/Crypt of the Necrodancer mashup game now.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

We're not gonna gently caress up two planets for the price of one, right?

...Right?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

That little music box at the end - is that the Pure Melody? The song that powers the Orgel of Origins and therefore the entirety of Ar Tonelico?

Also hi Shurelia. Please get your GPS fixed. And don't piss off the Teru.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Wasn't it pissed-off Teru that sabotaged Ar Tonelico and caused the Grathnode Inferia?
Great job, Ra Cielans! Two planets for the price of one.

I guess in the AT/surge concerto series, we are the cosmic horrors. It's us.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Ar! noSurge!

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

On the risk of repeating myself, TrolledByPrim.jpg.

I don't think her controller is in it to win at this point, just gently caress with them as much as possible

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Imaginary Incarnate, created from the memories of their dead former childhood friend, brainwashed into working for the enemy with false orders...

LES GENOMES TERRIBLES

e: Also, as usual, love is the ultimate destructive weapon. And I could call Prime a child of Infel Phira now.

Lunar Suite fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 3, 2015

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

This is wrong on so many levels. :stonklol:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

You know... would a soul transfer be that hard? Ion and Nero did it pretty easy back during that whole Neptron debacle, and it seems like the Surge Concerto has enough power to do a pretty good job of executing complex commands even without sticking an extradimensional child in there as a cheap AI-Ersatz.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Anyway, considering Ion's role as the player's computer waifu and their forays into transdimensional.... 'relationships', I'm keeping a wary eye out. I know how these things end.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

YggiDee posted:

I believe that's Giffany.

Is it pronounced Eye-on, or Ee-yon?

But yes, this is from the episode "Soos and the Real Girl" where our beloved manchild side character purchases a haunted dating simulator, Romance Academy 7.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Feinne posted:

Ion you mean? It's Ee-yon, short for Ee-yon-ah-sahl.

There's also a Nyarko-chan with an eldritch dating sim game as I recall.

Was trying to make a GIF/ Jif joke and failed.
Oh, did we ever expand on the tons of horrible poo poo Kanon went through in her backstory? I think Renall is the only on here who didn't go through a childhood filled with :eng101::respek::moreevil:

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

Renall's father was a racist megalomaniac rear end in a top hat, and that's putting it kindly. Somehow I dount Renall's childhood was all sunshines and rainbows.

What is it about the power of songs, created through being honest with your emotions and sharing your innermost self with someone you trust, that brings out the absolute worst in people?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

quote:

Yuri developing between the 3.

No, gently caress this, I'm done. Props to GUST for knowing their audience, I guess, but even if that's a troll options, I refuse to deal with this. Rrha apea gagis paul ini ar ciel.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Omobono posted:

By focusing your deepest heartfelt feelings of friendship and love into a coherent beam of pure destruction.

Was yea ra omness chs ciel sos Infel.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

Omobono posted:

I kinda like our dumb sharl pharmacist. Although, for some things

there simply are no words.

My Surge Concerto don't want none unless you got Waves, hun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

I'm reading through the Ciel NoSurge summary and I found something weird - did Delta get 'infected' by interdimend by picking up Prime's (the dead human friend one) old G2Tron, or is this just REON possession? Otherwise the poor idiot's been open for remote control since before his balls dropped. Wave science is messed up.

• Locked thread