Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Is it me, or is the game's audio poorly balanced? A lot of times, the music drowns out the dialogue. Like, during the intro, the song began to completely drown out the narrator towards the end. And then again during both the discussion about PLASMA between Delta and Cass and the meal options, their voices were drowned out by the background music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omobono posted:

:ughh:
What kind of idiot would leave the password on a post-it next to engraved on the door in plaintext? (answer: roughly half of humanity, but it's never not cringe-inducing).
Even in fantasy JRPG land, people do the really dumb real life poo poo like leave secret passwords right out in the open for anyone and their kitchen sink to read.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Why is Cass's hair blonde-pink in some contexts and silver-white in others?
Either A) it's a plot point, or B) art staff not communicating with each other/not agreeing on a finalized design.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

I haven't read anything about Ciel Nosurge and have never played or watched an Ar Tonelico game before so this is quite a lot of :japan: to take all at once. Why is no one wearing pants whyyyyy.
Clearly, a Sharl turned into a pair of pants and went on a killing spree in the past. As a result, pants are now outlawed and/or discriminated against.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Feinne posted:

I think japan would sink into the sea if an Ar Tonelico game went by without a boob joke.
It's more like an industry requirement that almost every game made in Japan to include at least one boob joke.

And then there are others who turn that one joke into a running gag that never stops.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

mikemil828 posted:

If anyone wonders why in the blazes Delta used to be called Turbo, it actually makes more sense in Japanese, where the nickname is actually Ta-bou, Ta being the last part of Delta, and -bou being a familiar honorific for a young boy, which he was at the time of Ciel Nosurge.
So basically it's like a lot of dialogue in JRPGs: a giant pun because Japan cannot get enough of them.

Ugh. :ughh:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Puns are actually really cool, and I appreciate that Japan understands this.

The fault lies with the translators for not even attempting to make the name into anything resembling a nickname or pun and just making it look weird.
Yeah, the "Turbo" nickname is one of those puns that just does not translate into English at all.

So unless you had someone explain the joke to you, the pun falls flat and doesn't work. Then again, I have no idea how you'd convert "Ta-bou = Turbo" into an English equivalent.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Feinne posted:

Delta and Cass will return in... Sharlfinger.
If I had a decent grasp of songwriting, I'd make a parody song right now.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sindai posted:

I gotta admit it's possibly the best sequel hook I've ever seen in a game.
Which would be good...if the prequel had been released outside of Japan, as was mentioned earlier.

As it is, Earthes' significance just flies right over the head of people jumping into this game without reading about Ciel Nosurge.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sindai posted:

Looking awfully humanoid for someone who hates all humans there Cosal.
Just because you're humanoid and hate humanity doesn't automatically mean you're a hypocrite.

Feinne recently went through Hundred Knight, where plenty of humanoid characters were not too friendly to humans at all.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah, the game starts off really badly, especially with all the dumb fanservice scenes shoved into your face.
Add on to that, some people never played Ciel Nosurge, so a lot of things (like the Nay being in a Sharl body revelation) are not going to have the same impact as it would have if the player knows/has played Ciel. As much as the game has sorta tried to recap things from Ciel Nosurge, there's only so much that can be done before you have to stop playing Ar and go read up on Ciel if you're not familiar with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lunar Suite posted:

Cosal, please put on some pants. For a Ken doll furry, you're... bulging a lot. :stonk:
Oh good, I wasn't the only one to notice that.

Also, I swear I've seen that...floating backpack thingie Cosal has before in mythology somewhere (Hindu, I want to say?).

• Locked thread