Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
In case this wasn't clear, the previous game was about all the stuff that led up to their planet blowing up. I don't think it's particularly confusing though: it feels mostly like they're setting themselves up for a huge flashback at some point, and then you slowly realize it'll never happen but you've already picked up on the important bits anyway.

I guess what I mean to say is that you can tell something's missing, but it's not all that important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The "tsundere" thing is pretty stupid, but since we're dealing with it now it's just the surface of her issues, and pretty much gets overcome immediately, plot-wise. They're also tying it into her distrust of Delta as a possibly spy who tried to kill everyone half a year ago, so there's kind of a better reason for "tsundere" than usual? I mean, I definitely roll my eyes along with everyone else about how direct they're being, but I don't they're trying to sum up her entire character in one word, they're just being obnoxiously self-aware about the tropes they're using.

The Sharl are obviously supposed to be fairies.

And yes, people need to learn to pants. Luckily, the character designs are almost definitely the worst part of this thing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Einander posted:

This was true when there were multiple partners, but Delta and Cass will only ever be paired up with each other. This isn't a Cosmosphere, and the focus has changed--the point of Genometrics levels isn't "insight into a single person," it's "insight into a relationship." That's why they've mentioned "chaining" into other people.

It's a change I really like, personally.

They're all focused on Cass though. This one was about the Cass-Delta relationship, but there's also a Cass-Nay one, a Cass-Sarly one, etc.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Omobono posted:

:ughh:
What kind of idiot would leave the password on a post-it next to engraved on the door in plaintext? (answer: roughly half of humanity, but it's never not cringe-inducing).

We can now dive into evil (make that temporary antagonist) bishop, out of nowhere? No way that is a good thing short-term. On the other hand, future party member spotted.

It's not plaintext, it's an incredibly simply code.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Cathodes just get weirder and weirder from here on out.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The bath scenes are pretty good, in general. The whole "this is awkward, let's just casually talk about random stuff until it's less awkward" gimmick worked out pretty well for both the characters and the audience. Throw in the bonus of the characters just getting along with each other normally and it's even better.

You should probably divide them up into sections though, especially since you seem to have place the commentary for some of them underneath the first picture of the next section. Yes, I know I told you to put the commentary underneath the pictures, but preferably underneath pictures that have something to do with what you're commenting on. Breaking the conversation into sections for each topic would probably help avoid that mistake.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The whole Nyuroki stuff is actually kind of morbidly hilarious if you read the Ciel Nosurge summary.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, the cartoon sheep does seem to be somehow pretty important to Cass and Sarly. Since isn't it the same thing that Cass said she thought would show up a lot in her dives, since she thinks about it a lot or something?

Nyuroki is a super-popular mascot character thing.

It's revealed in Ciel Nosurge that (this isn't really a spoiler since it has nothing to do with Ar Nosurge, but just in case)it's the "neuro-key" developed by the evil government as part of a brainwashing program for dissidents. So everyone grows up loving Nyuroki and when they go to Nyuroki-land they come out loving the government too. Cass and Sarly discover this during Ciel Nosurge, and while they're horrified, they think of it mostly as a misuse of their beloved Nyuroki and love it anyway. So they're basically programmed to love it. People who aren't programmed to love it just kind of look at them funny and accept it as a weird quirk.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

(I forget exactly what it was, he enabled an invasion?)

He opened a door and let the aliens in. They call it The Barrier, but as far as I can tell it's just a really thick wall.

Can we, uh, not go back and do the crafting conversations with Sarly? At least not yet? Throwing them into the middle of cliffhanger seems like it would just exacerbate the problem.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think he was referring to the "I'm really in my 20s, but I look like I'm 11" part.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, it's not much of a pun, his nickname was just Ta-bou. The translators may not have realized why he was called that and just assumed it was Turbo.

The weird part is that they never actually call him Delta in Ciel Nosurge, so him having a name other than Ta-bou is probably supposed to be a misdirection to make the audience wonder who he is for a while.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

There are actually several different variations of the dance depending on what you're making. Several per shop.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Argas posted:

It doesn't help that the villain who uses/believes in it are often huge bastards too.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't actually believe it, she's just a jerk.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nelo has pants too, right? Just big poofy old fashioned Japanese-style pants.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Argas posted:

Wait.

Didn't Nelo say that Ion's just a normal human right now? I'm guessing the game means that because she just left the contraption, she's still weakened or something, rather than being permanently incapable of using song magic since she, you know, had the battle and all.

I can't actually remember how this works, but the impression that I got from the line just now is that unlike Cass, she's not an artificial incarnate so she can't create song magic on her own. If she can sing, it has to be due to some wonkiness with Earthes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The problem with In Media Res is that if you never actually explain anything about what is going on, people are just going to get confused and not understand a loving thing about what’s going on. And when people are thinking “what the gently caress is happening”, they are not caring about the characters.

[list][*]What’s with this tower?
[*]What’s with this planet thing around the space ship?
[*]That makes no sense at all.
[*]How did Ion know she’d be fine when she jumped?
[*]How the stupid gently caress did her goddamn mind-robot get out of her mind?
[*]How can the party be sharing inventory?
[*]How the gently caress can the party be sharing inventory in a fight in Ion’s mind?

Apparently the “you don’t need to have played the previous game to understand this one” claim in the OP is a huge loving lie.

None of those things would have been explained by the previous game. Actually, if you'd played the previous game it'd probably be more confusing, since some of it contradicts what you take as a given. Just wait for the answers.

This whole sequence is sort of intended to be as confusing as possible, since it's a big shock after playing Delta and Cass' side.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 29, 2015

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

True, there's a glossary that explains a lot of terminology, that automatically highlights keywords in dialog and you can access at any time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, for the most part I think who people are doesn't matter all that much: they just have a very limited supply of actors for bit parts. So the fact that Ion is friends with the Prime Minister of Felion in her mind probably doesn't mean anything. Obviously the exception is when it's about their relationship.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think the story makes slightly more sense if you haven't done Cass' dive as soon as possible, because as it is the moment she blows up at him comes after the part where she agrees to give him a chance inside her subconscious.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Then you'll like Luca+ even more...?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

And she shouldn't trust you, because you're kind of an rear end in a top hat. Yeah, you, the player.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Feinne posted:

You can tell they’re not humans when they don’t get that a place where people don’t feel free to complain about not feeling well isn’t exactly a “utopia”.

I'm pretty sure the idea is that it's literally just a cold, so humans don't care that much. They've learned to deal with minor problems like that. But for the sharl, who live in a "utopia", even that tiny amount of suffering feels like something that shouldn't be tolerated. They don't understand what it meas to have a minor problem.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

InfinityComplex posted:

Something made out of placenta, radioactive hotsprings (holy poo poo they're real), and an aphrodisiac, and something normal. This kid's on a road of being one hell of a psychotic pharmacist.

As I recall, at some point he makes a cause of cancer. Not a cure, a cause. He discovers the secret to causing cancer.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Shortening Nayaflask to Nay makes total sense because I can't imagine anyone wanting to be called Nayaflask all the time. But shortening Casty to Cass just seems... unnecessary. Why couldn't her name just have been Cass in the first place? Although come to think of it, almost every character's name is short for a longer name... Kanoyeel, Zillium, Ionasal... This entire culture just needs to have shorter names that Japanese gamers can easily remember.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Then... don't name her that? They named her Casty just so they could call her Cass. Why?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's also worth noting that the sun blowing up was kind of the humans' fault too, in the sense of magical pollution.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think a major... thing in this game is that pretty much everyone important was also important 5000 years ago. We never get the perspective of an ordinary citizen of Fellion who's been living in this ship all their life and whose parents and grandparents also lived in this ship for as far back as recorded history.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Delta's position is reasonable, but not necessarily right. Which I think is good writing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Not these particular humans though. Should these random colonists be punished for the sins of 5000 years ago?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

This might be like Kanon's survival, in that the writers didn't talk to each other.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, Ciel Nosurge mostly just spoils stuff that Ar Nosurge plans to reveal shockingly, and then the characters act surprised about it anyway for some reason. There are a few things that aren't explained very clearly, but generally they aren't important. Heck, Delta having amnesia is often used as an excuse to explain things to him that he should already know, in traditional JRPG fashion

If you are totally obsessed with knowing exactly what's going on at all times, I could see how it would be uncomfortable, but the story is perfectly understandable without Ciel, and if you want to pretend it doesn't exist at all you can do that too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Hellioning posted:

I dunno if making you go to another dive, in the other party's mindscape, is either a good idea (showing how far Ion is going to see if she can trust you, making use of the double-party system) or a terrible one (how does it make sense from an in character perspective? I know that Earthes is supposed to be the player, but you're playing as Delta the entire time...)

Also, is there a reason they didn't translate 'Yuuki'?

It's a 7th Dimensional test, which they told you right up front. A test of your, the player's, ability to switch channels. That isn't just a narrative conceit.

Yuuki is untranslated for reasons that will become apparent later. I suppose it might've been a pun in Japanese.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Polsy posted:

It's written 結城, for what it's worth. Not sure if that relates to those reasons or it's just a random pun.

If that's how it was written, then it's not a pun, it's just a name.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Argas posted:

This is the explanation that makes the most sense and, in hindsight, is probably correct. It's not like Cass and Ion are 100% themselves since they tend to act as a particular aspect of themselves.

Eh, Ion doesn't get nearly as sucked in as Cass does. She acts much closer to the way Delta does, except she's less stubborn about it and tries to figure out what's going on instead of arguing all the time.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think saying “Nay is a Sharl” is inaccurate. She’s not part of Sharl culture, she doesn’t seem to be a subject to the Sharl hive mind (her comments indicate she doesn’t understand the sharl’s viewpoint), she doesn’t have the stupid wings/tail/fins that other Sharls have, and her mind seems to be that of her previous body. She certainly does not support the actions of the Sharl. So no, I don’t see her as a Sharl, even if her current body was artificially created in the same/similar way as the Sharls were. In all the respects that matter, in all the things that make Nay Nay, Nay is not a Sharl.

Well, in that sense the sharl aren't sharl either, since they're genom souls in sharl bodies. Sharl are fundamentally just shells, artificial bodies without souls. The souls are added by whatever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Is it even possible to kill Nelo? I'm not entirely sure how that works. But yes, the impression I had at this point of the game was that Nelo isn't actually a direct threat anymore. You stopped her, and she's kind of snarky and bitter about it, but there's nothing she can do about it. Her life in a nutshell. She's actually the most harmless of the antagonists, counting Zill and Cosal, and she's not really the sly, cunning type either.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Except that the game seemed to have been saying that it was switched over to meat-fuel specifically because Zill/Nelo needed more power.

Oh whatever...

That makes no sense. Infinite energy from another dimension is clearly "more power". We don't know exactly why Zill did it, but a more reasonable guess is that she's trying to kill everyone for whatever reason.

I think your stubborn preconception that the plot is really stupid is causing you to miss out on things and/or make incorrect assumptions. Honestly, given the way you're reading it, the plot is too smart for you, which isn't a place you want to be. Since it's not all that smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think the message here is that you are, unavoidably, an rear end in a top hat because you are playing this game. If you weren't, then you would've stopped toying with people's lives a while ago. By playing the game, you are necessarily treating it as a game, and don't really consider it real or important to you, because it's absolutely not.

• Locked thread