Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You know, after the first two updates I was thinking that outside of some of the character designs this game wasn't really all that :japan: compared to some of the other games Feinne has LP'd. I thought most people in the thread were exaggerating.

I'm glad to have been proven wrong so quickly before getting a chance to voice that opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

The "tsundere" thing is pretty stupid, but since we're dealing with it now it's just the surface of her issues, and pretty much gets overcome immediately, plot-wise. They're also tying it into her distrust of Delta as a possibly spy who tried to kill everyone half a year ago, so there's kind of a better reason for "tsundere" than usual? I mean, I definitely roll my eyes along with everyone else about how direct they're being, but I don't they're trying to sum up her entire character in one word, they're just being obnoxiously self-aware about the tropes they're using.

The Sharl are obviously supposed to be fairies.

And yes, people need to learn to pants. Luckily, the character designs are almost definitely the worst part of this thing.

I don't know if there's anything more annoying than when a game acts as if it's usage of cliched tropes is okay because they self awarely acknowledge how lame they are, but still use them anyway.

And about the designs, I feel like they're something that'd be way worse when actually playing the game because at least in LP format you can quickly scroll past the offending screenshots.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Huh. You know if that scene didn't take place in a bath with both of them mostly naked for a completely un-subtle "first-time sex" metaphor it actually would have been, well not quite touching, but a rather good scene nonetheless. They're not acting like generic rpg tropes which is surprising, especially considering that first Dive. Now when will that other shoe drop.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh No. A child character who's about as well dressed as Nay, and likes the main protagonist (even if it's not romantic). This combined with what the systems we've seen regarding Dives and Purification makes me think there is absolutely no way this can end well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The power of Moe, really? What the hell is with this game.

Though admittedly the scenes between Cass and Sarly were nice, and I liked that Delta really didn't do anything to affect Sarly directly because he is not as close to her as Cass is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not a fan of the new, goofier dives. I could not even finish reading this one.

See! Truly Godawful hamhandedness where a single word is stretched to the breaking point as a substitute for actually describing a character!

See! People appearing as cartoon sheep for no loving reason!
See! The reader completely giving up on trying to figure out who the gently caress is who when they are in sheep form!
See! Truly Godawful crap involving some fucktard prattling on about whatever the hell "moe" is. Go away and die.

Making them a joint thing between two characters doesn't help at all and just makes it more confusing. So is Sarly the one who hates friends? Or since this is diving into Cass, is she the one with friendship issues? And if this is Sarly's issue what does it have to do with Cass? It's just muddled.

It really does not help clear up the confusion at all seeing a bunch of characters in the dive that we have not met in the real world.

I'm not too much of a fan of them either but it's pretty clear that Sarly's the one with the friendship problems, while Cass has issues with the fact that Sarly has friendship problems because she wants them to be buddies (and they once were?). So Sarly's issue of friendship problems also affects Cass because they're pretty close, but this is presented through the nonsense medium of whatever the hell is going on here.

Also, the cartoon sheep does seem to be somehow pretty important to Cass and Sarly. Since isn't it the same thing that Cass said she thought would show up a lot in her dives, since she thinks about it a lot or something?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I agree with Cass. Delta is far too suspicious, probably a sleeper agent or some such rather than actually a traitor though.

The fact that he was allowed to open a restaurant or something after whatever super bad thing he did is strange enough (I forget exactly what it was, he enabled an invasion?). But the fact that he has genometrics or whatever with the enemy is a pretty big loving deal in this universe, isn't it? Can't you only do that with people you are close to, and with both people willing or something?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

So basically it's like a lot of dialogue in JRPGs: a giant pun because Japan cannot get enough of them.

Ugh. :ughh:

Puns are actually really cool, and I appreciate that Japan understands this.

The fault lies with the translators for not even attempting to make the name into anything resembling a nickname or pun and just making it look weird.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well to be fair, Delta pretty much bases his entire life around Cass as well. Which might be the point, I guess? Not that it doesn't weaken both their characters, but I suppose some thought could have been put behind it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

They were thawed at some point and have spent presumably some months and years alive and on the ship. They weren't stranded on a desert island alone for years. Surely in all that ship time they should have made some acquaintances and formed some friendships with other people, but this game doesn't show that. According to the game, the only important people are those very special Seven who were around 5000 years ago. Is it at least fair to criticize the game for poor world-building?

Synthetic Polygon may be right that Delta's life revolves around Cass as well, but that weakens his character as well.

Cass is buddies with Sarly as well. So she's got that going for her. Delta's got nobody.

In all of Delta's dives thus far he's only really been connected to the events at hand through Cass, and she's been the one actually connecting more with whoever they're diving into. Sure, a good portion of all those dives is still about Cass's feelings on Delta, but she has at least some meaningful interactions with others. Delta definitely gets the short end of the stick on that front, moreso than Cass at any rate.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's really weird that Sarly and Cass seem to be such good friends in these talks because from that dive they had, despite them understanding each other really well and still being close Sarly didn't want to open up too much to Cass or even really become her friend. Which is kind of at odds with all these talks. I mean, i'm sure the end game of Sarly's dives are her and Cass becoming best friends again and all that, but these talks don't really seem to take into account that they're still apparently working through some problems.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hmmmmm. Mayhaps we should've locked Prim and Nelo up or something. Seems like letting two people who we know who have plans opposed to ours to just go around freely was a bad idea after all.

It's pretty weird that the player that Delta confronts acts so differently to Earthes when they're supposed to pretty much be the same person right? And the differences in the way the player acts, kind of just highlights a problem i've been having with the way the game has been getting so meta, not that I usually don't enjoy it when a game goes deep into that sort of thing but I don't think the game pulls it off well. Since it has a representation of what is meant to be exactly the player, motivations and all, but the only choice we have in how the player interacts with other characters is always a dialogue option of only a few choices, and it never really ends up actually representing the thoughts of the player despite how hard they are pushing the connection between the player and the game world.

However, this whole thing does seem like it could get really interesting, since both of the player Avatar's appear to have kind of lost their connection to the player so some cool things could happen with how we're actually supposed to interact with the game from this point. It could get really interesting.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is super loving weird, and honestly pretty drat creepy.

I thought it was kind of interesting how they made the player themselves a character in the story just because I like it when things get meta, but the fact that the character who is literally the player gets a romance plot with the female lead is kind of awful. It just comes off as incredible pandering, your love for this video game character saved her from despair or whatever and she returns your love. Yes player, your video game girlfriend loves you, as in literally the person who is pressing buttons on the controller and staring at a screen. It's so goddamn weird.

I think Earthes, or just the player in general, might be least favourite character in the game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This Dive did absolutely no one any favours. If what Prime said is true about how all the characters in this dive are their true selves pulled from their own conscious or whatever then at the sub-conscious level all of them are willing to murder all their buddies to save their own hide. Cass gets the worst of it of course since she for some reason agrees with Zill and absorbs Delta basically just because she has low self-esteem. It's ridiculous.

Honestly the 2nd dives for both of the main heroines have sucked royally and made me kind of dislike both Ion and Cass even though for most of the game they have been pretty alright and generally more interesting than their partners. Ion is kind of hosed up and far less innocent than she appears but since you, the player, loves her I guess she's actually pretty much fixed, and Cass agrees with a genocidal maniac because she doesn't think anyone likes her, herself included. It's so lame.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Nepgear was the protagonist at one point.

But then again, she ended up being one of the best characters in the third game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I think I liked Ion secretly being not a good person and kind of evil when it was just hinted at, and not really obviously shown. Now she's just the worst, and a huge bastard.

Also,

Super Jay Mann posted:

This was the part where I was like "Oh that's right, I'm playing a Gust game, thanks (not) for reminding me :geno:" It just kind of sneaks up on you right when you've put it in the back of your mind.

The sad part is I'm not even sure this is more :japan: than mind-Shirotaka double marrying mind-Sarly and her exact clone.

Sarly's 2nd dive was just weird nonsense. This is way more hosed up.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean, fair's fair this is also supposed to be a a metaphor. That's how they justify this nonsense. Nay is paradoxically serving Ion while saying she'll never listen to her because although she does pretty much hate and distrust Ion she's kind of indebted to her and listens to her anyway. They just decided to show this through, well through whatever that poo poo was.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thuryl posted:

Well, we were warned long before this that the thing she values most is herself.

Also in fairness we're on a metaphor-laden voyage into some of the deepest parts of her mind; what we see reflects what she's thinking and feeling, not necessarily what she'd actually do. Nobody else in the series exactly comes off looking flawless in their Dives either.

But this is the 2nd dive in a row though where Ion has been an absolutely horrible person to Nay, two completely different mindscapes where Ion has betrayed and manipulated her. It paints a pretty poor picture of their relationship, pretty much entirely on Ion as well. She's gonna need to make up for this in a big way, even though a lot of it is probably in Nay's head.

Pollyanna posted:

what loving metaphor is this supposed to represent so i can proceed to never use it ever

Hey, the rest of my post explains it. :v:

Though, it's not really a metaphor that needs to be expressed through sexy CG art, but I am unsurprised that was the medium they went for considering the rest of the game. To me it's just worse than the other examples because what's happening is way more messed up. And the last time Ion did a horrible thing the conclusion was that yeah she is kind of crazy (if for sympathetic reasons) but because you love her she will heal. Which is an incredibly lame resolution, and i'm not expecting this to be resolved any better.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Well, that absolved itself absurdly neatly. The whole Ion destroyed Nay's world and Nay despises her for it gets kinda dropped to focus on how Nay is fine with that as long as Ion basically takes away any responsibility she has. Which is a fine thing to consider, but back in Renall's genometrics the thing about how Nay and Ion are both hella messed up from the body switching shenanigans was sort of set up and it doesn't seem to have gotten much pay off.

It's also weird that this ends with Ion coming clean about using Kanon and Nay as well, rather than anything about Nay since all the buildup seemed to be more focused on her last update. Although, maybe i'm just getting tired of Ion. In general though the three just talking it out and deciding to stop using each other but stay friends is such as quick solution. This isn't actually the end of this plotline is it?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Feinne posted:

Renall's level wasn't really 'about' Nay and all her 'upset' in that level was exactly the sort of show she put on a lot in this level.

Oh, I knew it wasn't really "about" Nay, but it still set up some stuff that I found interesting and was expecting to be expanded on. And then it just didn't end up being too important despite it getting brought up a lot.

Also, I don't quite think the metaphor they kinda tried to pull for Nay and Ion's relationship came off very well (it worked better for Kanon). I sort of get that Ion being a dick to Nay and threatening her was meant to represent how like Nay was fine with being treated as if she'd die if she refused because she likes living on the 'edge' and trusted Ion enough to never actually kill her and take responsibility for anything that happens. But the fact this was expressed through Ion telling her to lick her feet, or kill Earthes, or just generally talking down to her and being the worst, kind of dilutes that because it has nothing to do with her actually being in near-death situations. Like, that part of Nay was way better represented when she was running an amusement park full of death-machines.

Although, I might just dislike it because instead of it coming off as Ion and Nay using each other, it's that Ion is intentionally enabling Nay for her own happiness since Ion appears to completely understand why Nay is doing what she is doing. So instead of it looking like they're both assholes using the other to get what they want, Ion just comes off as an absolute fucker. It just doesn't feel as equal a relationship as the game seems to be suggesting.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 10, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ever since the timeskip happened Earthes and Ion have become lame and awful. Can we get back to Cass and Delta soon?

The saga of Ion being a huge piece of poo poo honestly started off pretty interestingly, but nowhere near enough has been done to make me continue to be interested in her possibly becoming less of a piece of poo poo. Because the deeper the story goes into this the less it shows her of being sympathetic in the slightest, while still simultaneously having all the character's be really sympathetic to her. She goes nuts and reveals she's the goddamn worst in Renall's dive but it's cool because Earthes loves her, she manipulates Kanon and Nay's flaws to keep them dependent on her and then they apologise and forgive her before she even comes clean about being such a dick. And now she's just manipulating everyone again so that they will like her, nothing has changed!

I can't tell what the writer's want me to think of her because she's portrayed as an unrepentantly horrible person, but the author avatar that is supposed to literally represent me is in love with her and everyone else thinks she's the best. Even after they find out what a bastard she is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's dumb that this dive just doesn't even attempt to deal with the fact that Ion is a huge rear end in a top hat. Is this aspect of her character ever contested at all? As what I assume was Ion's final dive this was incredibly underwhelming.

Cass's second dive was also hella dumb with everybody betraying each other for poorly explained reasons and then Cass doing the same because she has low self-esteem, but at least it kinda confronted an important part of her character. With how she felt she was pretty much useless and all that but it turns out everyone greatly respects her. It was pretty cheesy and set up extremely poorly but at least something happened. In this dive I don't think I actually learned anything new about Ion, and she wasn't confronted with anything that she hadn't been confronted with before. There was surprisingly very little to this dive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wales Grey posted:

Describing Ion as a "huge rear end in a top hat" strikes me as a bit noxious and extremely hyperbolic. There's no question that she's a jerk and often insincere, but compared to Jill's untrammeled sociopathy, Nelo's understandable yet abhorrent willful blindness, and Prim's Interdimend user's general jackassery, I think Ion comes off pretty well. Plus she's aces at awkward situation judo.

I never said that she's the biggest rear end in a top hat, but she's still a dick. She's kind of an rear end in more interesting and subtle ways than those guys you mentioned, but I don't think the game has been depicting them very well. Because a lot of the ways in which she is an rear end in a top hat come off as pretty manipulative and kind of messed up, but she hasn't really been called out for it. And I don't think they've really elaborated on her actions enough to make me sympathetic to her, if only because while she's not as evil as many other characters in the game she comes off to me as a selfish and really bad friend. Which is something that I was expecting to be explored in greater detail and for her to be confronted with that, but it hasn't really come together for me.

• Locked thread