Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014
Is there any reason why it takes place in 7th dimensions? Or was it the developers rolling a d6 and adding 3/4. Because it seems random, like why remove 3 whole dimensions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

Feinne posted:

Yeah seriously though get rid of that loving link or I will lose all my poo poo.

And if you aren't already familiar with the game do NOT follow that link unless you like want the entire last Phase ruined for you.

Wait so an article advertising the game decided to put a major spoiler in their article? Where is the logic in that? I know video game "journalism" is terrible, but this is a special kind of stupid.

"Buy this game it is great! I especially loved the ending where Delta sacrifices himself into the ship's engine, which causes the ship to instantaneously find the planet they were traveling to, which resolves all conflict somehow and Zill and Nelo learn the power of friendship and they all live happily ever after on some alien planet!! So go buy this game!"

I better not have accidentally ruined the game's ending.

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

Super Jay Mann posted:

Well to be fair in Ciel the other Genom did mention that Cosal harbored a hatred for humans, even if it was only subconscious, so they did have somewhere to go with this. Not sure how to explain the formless thing, maybe something was lost in translation.

But wasn't he the main reason Ion went along with the Grand Phoenix Plan? Like before he and Kanon sacrificed themselves, Ion wanted to work something else out with Kanon. But he not only forced Ion to leave Kanon, but to sacrifice all of the genom as well, basically stating that the world is beyond hosed at this point and that humans should migrate, but the genom will never want to move planet. Even though Ion really wanted to take the genom with them, and they could have if Nelo wasn't a complete twat.

Also he doesn't have a form, hence why Kanon who was made by a Chimon group, involving Zill, specifically to synchronize with Cosal, was the only person who could synchronize with him, and even then she could only just synchronize with him. The reason Kanon died is because she let Cosal use her body in order to use powerful song magic, in order to prevent 99% humanity getting killed. So he couldn't have hated humanity that much. I think the main reason why he hated humanity before was that they couldn't contact him only the genom could, but through Kanon he had an outlet.

I am not sure if using spoiler tags is necessary but they are all from the previous game and I am not sure how much is going to be brought up again, so I spoilered the things that could be a major plot point in this game, just in case anyone who doesn't want to read about the previous game and still wants some plot twists not spoiled. Like Kanon could definitely be remade, she was a small child mixed with the genes of Nelo Kanon probably has very little memory of the previous game and was told by Zill that she did a bad thing and should repent. But they almost certainly couldn't have remade Cosal, so he is probably a different thing who thinks he is Cosal.

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

Feinne posted:

I'm pretty sure the intent is that they did in fact recover the original Kanon's soul and Cosal's spirit was still hanging about even after his demise, because if they'd just made a new Kanon whole cloth it doesn't make sense for her to even know who Ion is, much less know her. And they probably needed the original Kanon's spirit because even if it was physically possible for an all-new Kanon to harmonize with Cosal, he would probably sense something was up in that case.

Honestly the amount of control over people's memories Zill and Nelo have demonstrated already, it could be anything. They could probably put a bunch of false memories into Cosal and gave him a very powerful sharl body. Considering Ion got blown to pieces before and Zill managed to retrieve her soul somehow. She probably could do it with both Cosal and Kanon even over the huge physical difference that is space. Then Nelo fucks around with their minds, like she did with Ion. I bet she even did that to Delta.

Also I really like how since this a universe with music based magic, that vacuum tubes are a major technology. A vacuum tube amplifier has a significantly better sound than a transistor amp. Even with the massive leaps forward that transistor amps have made. Even the most expensive transistor amps are not as good as a standard tube amp. It is very noticeable the difference in sound. Also vacuum tube amps are cheaper to repair than transistor amps. And tube amps are totally worth the price.

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014
I know she is a weird hybrid thing, but she was capable of being the master sharl in one alternate universe.

Don't read any of my spoilers because they are all from the last game, if you haven't read it. I also like how Earthes is just sort of "well whatever" (I know it would be hard to be emotive when you are in a robot body, but you could have tried Feinne.) when Ion is saying that Nay is going to die.
I probably shouldn't have just been looking at Earthes, but his design is pretty cool honestly.

Opiomorphone fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 15, 2015

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014
Sorry I was going to spoiler it, but it got brought up so early in the last one.

I don't really know what this game expects of you in terms of knowledge of the first game. I have almost completely edited out that one thing from the last post, so even if people accidentally scroll over it.

Opiomorphone fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 15, 2015

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I've started reading the Ciel Nosurge thing because I'm tired of posters in the thread who have read it making references that I don't understand.

Honestly I kind of side with Feinne with his opinion on this, this game does quite well at foreshadowing certain things. Like with certain characters there is obviously more to them, and this game does give enough hints that it is still a mystery. I also think there is a bit too much padding with the story in the first one. There is a lot of "You betrayed me!, Oh well might as well go along with your plan this time as well!"

But honestly it is a story that actually puts the focus on the right place. The characters. An event is fundamentally boring due to it not being human, but seeing how characters interact with the event or how it changes their relationships and how they see one another is why an event is good for character arks.

But some of the character clothing I still don't get. Although I do like the character design more in this game, particularly with Kanon, Nelo and Sarly. But Nay has one of the worst outfits for what is a really brilliant character. Do they ever explain why Delta is almost fully clothed when in the hot tub thing and Cass looks like she just found a couple of pieces of waterproof sellotape.Because honestly my only real problem with this game currently, is the lack of sexy dudes. Also I just like using very minimal HTML, it makes me feel like I didn't waste a small amount of my childhood learning it.

So long story short, if you feel you can follow the LP so far, then don't need to read about Ciel Nosurge. Particularly because Feinne is stating that we will get a much better idea of what is going on beyond this point. Also there are somethings which honestly would have been better if I hadn't read it, in my opinion (like the whole Cosal thing, it still seems illogical to me, but maybe being trapped in that One song would change you a tad. Also there were a couple of facets of character that I somehow skipped and I had to reread a bit of it on the summary. But aside from occasional word errors on the Ciel Nosurge summary, it is well done and pretty cohesive. It is just an unfortunate thing that I was a not very sober during the early part of the summary.)

Opiomorphone fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 15, 2015

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

InfinityComplex posted:

This is honestly a question that's you should already know the answer to when consuming japanese games.
It is just that usually Japanese media is one or the other. Either everyone is walking around with bits of tape or the clothing is very strange and unusual but sort of understandable. (Like looking back at the 80's fashion trends.) I know it is a massive oversimplification but I generally don't mind as long as they are being consistent.
Delta is heavily overdressed, to the point that he would be kicked out of a French pool for wearing too many clothes. But Cass is wearing way too little. I am also very concerned over its lack of sexy dudes.

InfinityComplex posted:

Also, this is a dumb thing to spoiler out.
I totally agree. But I still do like using HTML codes. Now the only things I spoilered in the last post, I think could easily be important later, but they are quite "dense". One is almost certain to come up again, because it is quite cool and I am quite interested in what it does with the concept and idea, but is also the most coded.

Icedude posted:

It's actually mentioned on the costume change screen description for the outfit that it's a swimsuit that Cass actually doesn't really like but the shopkeeper she bought it from pushed her into buying it anyway saying it was good for purification ceremonies.
That is kind of cool and weird as gently caress, because I would never wear anything like that. Even if I bought it, it is just way too revealing. I wouldn't care what benefits they may have. Unless it was something weird like "Proven to cure unhappiness and create utopias on Earth." In which case I would need to think about it for a little while.

Also Feinne I really appreciate the rate, as I am enjoying this game a lot more than I anticipated and I probably wouldn't have stuck around this long if it wasn't for your rate of updates, but if you need to take a break you can. ♥

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014
Ion because she is cool and I want to see the Nay/Ion dive. Nay is a pretty awesome character and seeing more of her, especially her real side, would be great!
I quite like the Earthes dialogue choices as well, so seeing more of those is a good thing also.

How is Ion going to get back the starting seven when some of them aren't really around much

Opiomorphone fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 15, 2015

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

Feinne posted:

The shirt's a little short but it's otherwise very close to resembling actual people clothes.
I also like wearing 1 very large sock with 1 small sock. :j: But are you sure they aren't pants? Because they are quite normal for pants.
Also looking at Delta's lower trousers, 1 sock and 1 flared trouser, what is this world's obsession with oddly sized socks/shoes. Is Felion, as well as being at war with the sharl, also at war with pairs in general?

Will it ever be explained why the sharl are dressed like Halloween rejects. Or is it because the world of the dead sharl and the world of the living humans have crossed over and caused some very weird glitches as a result? Or was one of the first sharl victories taking the ship's supply of Halloween costumes? Dooming the humans to be perpetually sensibly dressed.

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

Feinne posted:

It also doesn't help that every so often the games kind of contradict each other. In that case, you should probably assume it's Ciel that's wrong and Ion just doesn't really remember exactly what happened at a point and has just made something up.
It could be that Nelo is just being a twat, as usual, and twisted some of Ion's memories, in an effort to create a double-think type situation. Where she is forced to accept 2 contradictory memories. But she did actually have Nay's memories installed in her so she knows how terrible things were because of being a imaginary sharl

Feinne posted:

Update later, should come even a bit quicker than I expected because a work thing got rescheduled.
If only you did VLPs and were screaming over game footage. Then you wouldn't need no job and could make that youtube bucks, and be rolling in it. The only downside is a complete loss of any form of self respect or dignity. (But what have those things ever done for us? :v:)

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

Sadly a VLP of this would never work in english since they removed at least 50% of the voice acting at the very least.
That means it is perfect for professional VLPs, more room for screaming and telling everyone to "Like, favourite and subscribe!"
Or you could just keep playing happy wheels/minecraft for another 1000 videos.

Not only did he do an LP of Qoga, but all three Neptunia games. What makes you think he has any self-respect or dignity left?
He still should have some left. After all, he didn't do a scare cam LP of them.

Super Jay Mann posted:

On the whole "Ion knows Nay is a Sharl" thing, I always figured it was just a case of Genometrics Ion not necessarily being the same thing as "normal" Ion, so she doesn't have perfect knowledge of everything she should know.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

Also I really like amnesia as a video game mechanic. It means that you can do more complex stories and it almost guarantees that the protagonist and the player are in the same situation and are learning things at the same time. I know it is over used, but it is very useful. It is also way more needed now than ever.
RIP Video game Manuals
:cry: You were so young :cry:

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

Feinne posted:

The silent film version the HPLHS did of that is pretty sweet.
It is very good, it is only 40-odd minutes, but it is very well done. It was made in 2005, and if you haven't seen it you should.
The only criticism I could give it, is some of the cinematography is a bit modern. (It is meant to look like it was from the time HP Lovecraft was from.)

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

Feinne posted:

On the other hand stop-motion Cthulhu, which is really all it needs.
My criticism was very nitpicky, but the stop- motion Cthulhu was brilliant. And the Cthulhu statues are amazing I really want to have one of them. They just look so amazing.
But I suppose R'lyeh was a bit too euclidean. But that would be very hard to make a non-euclidean set though.

So yeah, if you haven't seen it go watch it. Like right now.

I really hope they plan to do some more. There is also the wonderful clay-mation "From Beyond" which is great. It is basically a sequel to the original story, unlike the one from the 80s which was almost a completely different story.

Oh and Feinne I meant to tell you this before, but I totally agree with your thread title. It is great.

Opiomorphone fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 19, 2015

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

Hellioning posted:

I dunno if making you go to another dive, in the other party's mindscape, is either a good idea (showing how far Ion is going to see if she can trust you, making use of the double-party system) or a terrible one (how does it make sense from an in character perspective? I know that Earthes is supposed to be the player, but you're playing as Delta the entire time...)

Also, is there a reason they didn't translate 'Yuuki'?
Yeah it is a bit weird to go into Cass' mind. But I think they did a good job hinting it for you. It is quite obviously to do with the Delta and Cass. And that is the only time it is only them in one dive. Oh and that loop they did is quite dickish with the PM. I suppose it is good the music queue is there, because reading it I wasn't sure if it was an error Feinne made.

Don't read this spoiler if you haven't read Ciel Nosurge I am almost certain this will be an important point somewhere. Isn't Yuuki associated with Ion's "real" counterpart? Seriously don't read it unless you have finished Ciel Nosurge as I am sure they will do quite a good job with this reveal as well. Hence why it sounds confusing as gently caress, just in case people decide to read it, or accidentally scroll over it.

Also in Ciel Nosurge does it ask you what gender you are? Or does it just assume the only people who would buy this game would be male. (Which is weird from my perspective as almost all of the people I know who like JRPGs and anime are women.) As you can go on dates with her and even 'marry' her. Nelico is even the priest. Ion is quite clearly straight.

Also could you complete Ion's dive straight away if you imported your save from the last game? And how much is affected by having a save from Ciel Nosurge?

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

FrickenMoron posted:

It's worth just to see Proof of Yukis animation, trust me. The video has no tags at all and shouldnt show anything bad, i'll polsy it as a link though if you want me to.
The youtube video doesn't show anything bad, unless you count minecraft LPs as bad.

Some of them of are a bit on the weird side. (Like when Ion kissed the screen, for some reason it always feels a bit wrong or weird when characters kiss the camera.):japan:

Opiomorphone fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 20, 2015

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

I don't agree with that. If you take any two random Sharl, they will be significantly more alike than any random Sharl and Nay.
There is a reason for this. I doubt it will come up in this game though. But it might.

Zill was the person who created the sharl, Nay was originally in one of the original sharl bodies, which were imagination based. (They would fade from existence if someone didn't synchronize with them) So Nay is basically in a beta version of the sharl.

Also does anyone else find it really strange to see Ion without the flowers in her hair?

Opiomorphone fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 21, 2015

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

Feinne posted:

Nyanamoetep I think you mean.
"Nyarlathotep" The spelling is a bit strange. (Like most other worldly entities.) Also I was thinking more Hastur, as you can summon him, but you can't summon his body only his spirit. His real body gets left behind. And him being summoned would definitely quicken the pace of humanity going extinct.

But Cthulhu would be the opposite of what Ion/Nelo are, as Cthulhu is the rightful ruler of Earth, as the High Priest to the Gods. Humans only exist due to the stars not being right for some thousands of years allowing humans to take over the Earth temporarily. But the stars are right way more than they are wrong. So humanity is basically on a timer as far as the Lovecraft mythos is concerned. Eventually all of human achievement will be destroyed, just like with the Elder Things. Elder Things still exist though and are pretty weird to see. They just don't have any of their civilization left and only exist in small clusters. They are normally carted around as some weird type of fish, from the very deep oceans. You should try checking them out if you haven't seen one.

Dagon worship is the best by the way, especially those Oaths of Dagon. It is also a good way to get money, the only problem is getting people to buy your gold with terrifying emblems on them. Which is why the Marshes melted the gold down first.

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

FractalSandwich posted:

You must not moe. Moe is the mind-killer. Moe is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
drat this Moe guy. He is the worst. Why do weird an-ni-mes always bring him up?

I still hold on my opinion that Ion looks really strange without her stupid hair flowers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opiomorphone
Nov 30, 2014

So, like a multiple universes, anything-possible-which-can-happen-will-happen-somewhere type thing? ...Huh.

...You know, I like the idea that somewhere out there, in all the infinite possibility space of the multiverse, is a universe where all the characters in this game get stung to death by angry bees. ;)
Yeah the 4th dimension is time itself and the 5th dimension is like lots of different singular 'time's. Think a 2 dimensional graph. If you want a film that is basically an exploration of the 4th/5th and 6th there is Mr. Nobody. Which is also a pretty good film if not a bit confusing.

The dimensions also come in threes, and loop forever. Because that is how the equations work. So there are 10 dimensions, 0th 1st/2nd/3rd, 4th/5th/6th and 7th/8th/9th and 10th. The 10th or 0th dimension are basically the same thing. Which is why you can say there are either 9, 10 or 11 dimensions. But different 'dimensions' just have different versions of the 1-9 dimensions, the 0th or 10th dimensions are the same I think.
The upper 7th/8th/9th change how the universe is fundamentally made up and how the fundamental forces interact with one another.

It basically came about due to the idea of String Theory, as there needs to be an infinite number of ways the strings can do their thing. It is an attempt to unite a large amount of physics together. So it is the multidimensional String Theory.
String Theory quickly:(and probably very simple and wrong.) The entirety of space is made up of very small strings, they are basically the smallest thing anything can ever be, and how the strings can move reflects one of the 4 fundamental forces. (Gravity, electromagnetism, weak nuclear force and strong nuclear force) It is one of those things, like most of quantum mechanics, that makes way more sense looking at the equations though.

Also Fractals are neat. And we need to separate the word dimension into 2 different words, for clarity's sake.

• Locked thread