Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
So nice to see the Warrior from Nausicaa managed to get a new job after the Seven Days of Fire.
Wait a beam? It really IS that warrior :stare:

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I wanted to smash something when this came up, and then it only got worse.

I'm glad that "nice hat" is an immutable aspect of Casty, though.
My head hurts, I facepalmed too hard after reading that. The hat thing is nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

wdarkk posted:

It's so cluttered it bends spacetime.
Just like the space inbetween couch cushions. You could find pennies or you could find a crowbar!

I do kind of like how the Genometrics dives aren't strictly 'complete and the person gets better' deal that they are in the AT games. It's more indicative of relationships where there is give and take, small changes in how they view each other etc.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Feinne posted:

If you're Kanon you envision this to work like the former. Also remember the comedy third option as well, that it might just be an impossible distraction Zill and Nelo have cooked up while they're doing something else.

More like actual third option. Pretty sure I saw life energy being mentioned somewhere in Nelo/Zill's dialogue about Nelo's plan, so it's entirely possible that Nelo wants to convert people to energy to get herself back home.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The only issue with Prim is that she's a kid with way too much power. She's stupid, naive and impressionable plus the only person who's sat down and had a talk with her about what's going on is Nelo (because Nelo & Zill snagged her while Delta & Casty are rather bad at keeping track of her.)
So yeah she doesn't know right from wrong, she doesn't know what she's actually doing and she's working on information provided by someone so desperate to get home they've seriously considered pseudo-genocide as an option. Nelo's also thrown the whole 'Demon' angle in to complicate things.

So really this whole situation could have been avoided if Delta & Casty had done more with Prim (and if Casty wasn't so wishy-washy about Nelo.)

I agree that it's frustrating and there seems to be rather a lot of that in this game.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Feinne posted:

You'd have to assume it's still to get Nelo home but that plan was kind of impossible before it even got rolling given the incredibly low probability that Zill will actually give up Nelo and Ion if she gets them and thus the ability to Oversee all dimensions.

I'm guessing said player is taking a 'broad strokes' approach to it and wants to complete the Maternal Overseer so they can hook into it via Prim's Interdimend and then rule all the dimensions with supreme oversight. Then technically fulfill the promise they made Nelo by taking the Maternal Overseer 'home' to conquer/do whatever with it.

That's kind of the only thing left that would make sense.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Better for it to be mentioned as a joke and then used as an actual plot point rather than being forgotten. It shows internal consistency!

Because it would be rather frustrating to go do a complicated series of fetch quests/events when you have a shared inventory and the item's right there.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yeah I'm not seeing how the payoff isn't met here. Nay's pretty much doing more of the same and that gets resolved. Granted while I think the payoff isn't that satisfying that might be residual 'WTF!?' from the cg.
It does neatly tie up both Nay and Kanon's dives though, while preserving the core themes (Kanon getting to be more independent and trusting of herself, Nay to start taking responsibility rather than trying to ride off of Ion's coattails.)
The thing about Ion destroying Nay's world is that they can't do a whole lot about it and doing so would probably be just as traumatic as the first time so they just have to live with it.

I don't think anything will further develop on it aside from the standard out of dive 'my super-subconcious has done something and I don't know what but I don't mind this relationship update with these people.'

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 10, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Omobono posted:

I kinda like that they managed to write her subtle* enough that I can't shake the feeling that she played the player like a fiddle, nevermind that doing that should be impossible in dives.

*wrong word as she's about as subtle as an elephant, mind. I can't think of an appropriate word though.

Omobono posted:

Re-reading this dive, I had a thought:
did they just imply that Ion using frankly weak-rear end arguments against Kanon and Nay during the lead-up to Hydra_Heteromycin was deliberate on Ion's part, so that she'd have an excuse to have to impose her solution by force and absolve them of responsability?

If the above is true then subtle is correct. 'Nuanced' might be more appropriate even then though. I wouldn't say she played Earthes/The Player though since relationships are give and take: she gets to be special to someone without her forcing it and Earthes gets to go deeper into her relationship psyche to forge a stronger bond and solve everyone's problems through that power :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Wales Grey posted:

Describing Ion as a "huge rear end in a top hat" strikes me as a bit noxious and extremely hyperbolic. There's no question that she's a jerk and often insincere, but compared to Jill's untrammeled sociopathy, Nelo's understandable yet abhorrent willful blindness, and Prim's Interdimend user's general jackassery, I think Ion comes off pretty well. Plus she's aces at awkward situation judo.
That's the thing: for all of Ion's selfishness and manipulation she still cares about the world and the people in it to want to save them. While she can certainly be compared to the villians she is definitely not one.

I wouldn't call Ion the worst because what she does is pretty common just not to such an exaggerated extent nor put under such scrutiny. One of the subtle parts of Social interaction is manipulating people to mutual benefit. Whether it's a business transaction, managing people (massaging egos for optimal performance,) or friendships (as shown here) there's that invisible tug of war between them of selfishness. Even if it's something as benign as 'like me!' it still goes on.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

So many... things... being made.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Glazius posted:

The thing is, if you do Ion up like that, about being betrayed by people and trying to reconnect, isn't she just kind of Cass 2.0 then?
Yeah, that's sort of the other problem. There's already that theme with Cass, even if it is mainly related to Delta. They're all set up to do that perfectly (which they have done.)

The main thing that's sort of missing in Ion's dives is the Earthes connection. Being a literal interface device it's fine if the robot isn't given much personality but the player-insert is kinda-sorta taken for granted, even after Delta re-Interdimend's up. More conflict there, especially after Prim's Interdimend use stops being a mystery would have been interesting. A lack of faith or lingering doubts to be dispelled would have been perfectly understandable: 'I know you saved my life and I'm grateful but I barely know anything about you. What if you've been lying/playing nice with us just for your own satisfaction? Do you even care about us, being on the other side?' or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The 'you love to hate but also sympathetic' villain is hard to pull off simply because it requires more plot time than either or and it's easy to get the balance wrong and have that villain as one or the other.

For Prim the problem is that her interdimend connection is barely touched on until zero hour which is only fine for games where you have the actual final boss come out of nowhere and need to give enough development about them in a brief time period. Prim sticks around long enough to get the sympathy angle going and not enough time spent on the antagonist development.

Nelo has the opposite problem, she makes conscious and willing decisions that are evil and yet we're told to have some sympathy for her because she just wants to go home. Her sympathetic angle doesn't develop fast enough so that by the time I actually started to feel it for her (because she earned it) she was sucked up into Zill's crazy robo form. While before then she did some things that were counterproductive to her goals to me it always felt like she was trying to make peace over her decisions rather than admitting she made bad ones. She never really owns up to her problem until it's way too late.

Contrast the GETHJERK Federation from The Wonderful 101. The main villains are built up to be ones you love to hate but the final twist turns them into solid type 3's. The best part is that it's built up throughout the game as the last missing piece of background information so it's not completely out of nowhere, and that both sides handle it well since the villains and heroes objectives remain unchanged.

Overall that's probably the key to the type 3: having a sympathetic backstory that explains them rather than changing them. Views may change but actions shouldn't.

• Locked thread