Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'm amazed at the names they are getting for this. This is the best thing celebrities have done since FarmAid.

Hahaha, holy poo poo NBC passed on this and now Spike is getting tons of celebrities begging to be on the show.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/04/16/how-nbc-missed-out-on-jimmy-fallon-hit-lip-sync-battle/

quote:

When Jimmy Fallon sought to turn the popular lip sync competition feature from the "Tonight" show into a television series, NBC turned down one of its biggest stars — a decision that at least initially seems like an embarrassing mistake.

Fallon and his production partners instead brought "Lip Sync Battle" to corporate competitors at the Viacom-owned Spike TV, where it instantly became a hit. A clip of actress Anne Hathaway swinging on a giant wrecking ball to emulate Miley Cyrus has been watched online more than 10 million times since it first aired last week.

"People are responding to music that they love and to celebrities performing in a different way," said Casey Patterson, executive producer of the series for Spike. "It's like 'Saturday Night Live,' it's always a treat to see celebrities moving out of their comfort zone."

Celebrities are calling Spike "every day" to get on the show, she said, including people who won the competition on episodes that haven't aired yet wondering if they will be invited back.

Oh, and there's this

quote:

Upcoming episodes of the series include an “Empire” showdown between Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I cannot believe the people they are getting to appear on this show. Season 1 might be a couple of friends and acquaintances but the insane press this show is getting, plus the mind blowing Anne Hathaway performances might get other big name movie stars to pop in for the fun and put this show into the stratosphere.

Also, for a pretty face, Chrissy Teigen does a pretty great job just hanging out and chatting with LL Cool J. She actually brings a lot of entertainment to the show.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 17, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Anyone doubting the potential of this show, here are some brief previews.

Justin Bieber doing Crazy Train in full Ozzy Osbroune make up and outfit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vco8XuwXM6w

Mike Tyson going nuts on Salt n Pepa's Push It in tight leather pants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHM9E6g9YG8

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

This might be the coolest thing he's ever done. Like he might seriously redeem himself as a person with this performance. Jesus Christ what a hilarious show.

It's bizarre, he actually looks like old school Ozzy for a bit and pulls it off with insanely wide open eyes and the make-up/outfit.

I know there are some much smaller names on the show (Stephen Merchant, the Houghs, etc) but so far it looks like celeb friends have used it to one-up each other as hard as they can. The Emily Blunt/Anne Hathaway episode was pure magic and you could just see from everything Anne was doing that she was there to absolutely destroy Emily's performance.

Most of the articles since the show blew up mention how eager some celebs are to come back and do it again and how hard it initially was to do, but I think in the end a lot of famous people would love to take the chance to get to do a lip-sync musical performance and beat one of their friends/rivals.

For example, Mike Tyson wasn't even pretending to lip-sync much but he was going crazy with the dance moves for Push It, and unless Terry Crews pulls off something completely insane I'd bet that Tyson will win that episode. And it was blatantly obvious that Dwayne Johnson had extensively practiced his lip sync to Shake it Off to nail almost every lyric perfectly.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 21, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Just for context, this show approached Mike Tyson and asked him what he wanted to do, and he said "I want to lip sync Salt and Pepa's Push It while dressed like them"

The sky is the limit.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It merits a :wtc: more than anything else honestly.

It's a weird casting but it wasn't terrible. It was still fun to watch but definitely the weakest so far.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

As soon as Hoda started doing the spoken word opening of Baby Got Back all I could think was "oh my GAWD mom staaaahhhhhp"

This feeling did not subside

I had to say, she really went all in, which is the point of Lip Sync Battle. Celebs of all ages are doing songs and routines that are shocking and the end result is only a good thing.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
2 episodes that were good but not a huge draw, maybe the next 2 will get a bit more hype.

I'm kind of surprised how they're getting the original artists to show up. I thought J.Lo was going to be a one off then suddenly Bell Biv Davoe and Megan Trainor shows up. This could send the ratings through the roof if people think they might be able to see the actual artists show up to join the celebs.

Also, Derek Hough looked genuinely uncomfortable watching his sister perform "I Just Had Sex" which made it even better, like when John Legend did his bit.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 15, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fetus Tree posted:

I forgot about this show too. Its hilarious to me that spike managed to put on such a kickass actual legit show

What's more hilarious is NBC completely passed on it and that network is basically a dumpster fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Bieber and Sanders committed to it at least. Holy poo poo did Sanders commit.

After seeing the yotube clips of Bieber fully committing to Ozzy I assumed he'd win. And then Sanders went next level.

This show has solidified itself as the absolute best platform for celebs to just clown all over each other and have a blast. If what the execs and producers have said is true all of the people who've already done it have asked to come back again for another show for the fun of it.

• Locked thread