Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That's right, it's no longer just a Fallon bit or an appeal to RuPaul for clemency. The network that brought you JON TAFFER PUNKS BITCHES OUT, INTERCHANGEABLE CRIME DOCUMENTARY SHOWS, and NO ONE CARES WHAT ADAM CAROLLA'S DOING shows you just how fun it can be to not actually sing.

For those unfamiliar with the concept, here's how it worked on Jimmy Fallon's show: There are two rounds. In each round, Jimmy lip syncs to a popular song of his choice, then his guest does the same. Rinse and repeat for round 2. The winner is usually the guest by default; Jimmy likes to end with a concession.

The show follows a similar format, with two celebrities duking it out, LL Cool J hosting, and Chrissy Tiegen providing eye candy and commentary after every round, with the crowd deciding the winner by cheers at the end of the show. The big difference is that in the show, Round 2 incorporates props, backup dancers, and hype videos before each performance. On one hand, you can't be blamed for thinking this cheapens what is at heart a silly competition between two people, each with such impressive natural stage presence (in theory) that any victory besides whatever the audience enjoys is immaterial.

On the other hand,

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, "Stayin' Alive" by The Beegees

Common, "All Night Long" by Lionel Richie

John Legend, "U Can't Touch This" by MC Hammer

And in this week's battle, Anne Hathaway vs. Emily Blunt, this happens.

So, once again, that's all happening on Thursdays at 10 PM ET on Spike TV. If you're interested, check it out. If you're a hipster who thinks lip sync battles have lost their edge ever since Fallon started doing them, stay away. And if your name is Fab Morvan, we've prepared a special little seat here where you can watch this Kafkaesque nightmare unfold. There's even an attendant to wipe away the tears from your unblinking eyes. Nice girl; pre-med, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Nope, still rocking it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I'm not finished with this week's episode yet but next week's Anna Kendrick vs. John Krasinski throwdown looks perfectly ridiculous.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Bump for tonight: Anna Kendrick vs. John Krasinski! (Spoiler)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

This being fun and enjoyable is one thing. This being fun, enjoyable, and making NBC look dumb makes it even better.

In fairness: the original pitch was more like a legit Voice-style competition series between average people. Sounds like it only became a celebrity hangout / dick-swing show during the transition to cable, which was frankly smart.

On the other hand, can you imagine how intolerable either version of this show would turn with NBC's marketing department behind it? It's bad enough that the people watching live have to deal with constant pointless highlight reels and obnoxious attempts to build social media presence during commercials breaks. On NBC that poo poo would all happen DURING THE SHOW, and on top of that there would be omnipresent ads that constantly promise THE BIGGEST. LIP SYNC. SHOCKER. EVER! (Shot of Carson Daly, as he Carsons "I can't believe that just happened!") So yeah, Spike is kind of making NBC look like idiots in another way.

---

If there are that many previous competitors looking to come back, I wonder if there's gonna be a massive tournament at some point. Spike sets aside the big pile of money they're making on this, lets it grow until they can afford to get the rights to songs like "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "Born to Run" without blinking, then just lets all the previous winners (alongside mainstays like Fallon, Krasinski, and Merchant) run roughshod in a single-elimination tournament to crown the "true" "champion."

Or they can keep it as a fun-as-poo poo celebrity hangout / dick-swing show. It ain't broke enough to fix.

EDIT: Next week is Tyson vs. Crews!

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 17, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

Anna Kendrick was great but Krasinski was robbed. Both of his performances were fantastic. The Jennifer Lopez cameo stole it for her as far as the audience was concerned. His private bartender must have been working overtime after this miscarriage of justice.

Krasinski definitely put the most work in; Kendrick just trolled him so beautifully that it was hard for her to lose the edge.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Deadpool posted:

As if anyone didn't expect it, the show has been renewed for 20 more episodes.

Well guys it was rough going for a few days but our plan to send microphones to the Spike offices worked, we can all breathe now

EDIT: In case you thought every matchup would appeal to you, next week we have Michael Strahan and Hoda Kotb -- The Battle of Two People You Steal Glances At In Your Dentist's Waiting Room.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 23, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy loving poo poo this episode is bananas so far. Mike Tyson's "Push It" has to be epic if it's gonna top Terry Crews ribbon-dancing to Vanessa Carlton.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LionYeti posted:

It's a reference to one of the best Hip Hop songs of all time Childresns Story by Slick Rick. The outro hook is "knock em out the box, Rick."

I'll do this one better: https://youtu.be/NXCXVWjSbik

Also, let's get a title change: Michael Strahan vs. Hoda Kotb.

That doesn't warrant an exclamation point.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Well, tonight you're getting Stephen Mrechant vs. Malin Ackerman, which should work well enough.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Chrissy Teigen with Merchant's cock sock was a "holy goddamn poo poo" moment if I ever saw one.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Fetus Tree posted:

Yeah I still can't believe I actually saw that happen :stare:

E: i wonder if the sock was planted there and there was actually two :(

No loving way. You'd have to have the balls of a Navy SEAL or the shame of a fruit fly to pitch something like that to Tiegen. If someone did, hats off to him, but my head just can't make that connection.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

WarLocke posted:

Queen Latifah is awesome but that bit did feel a little like she was pandering to LL Cool J.

I think because those two came up together, are tighter than tight, and she wanted to do something cool for him.

WarLocke posted:

They could do ridiculous theme episodes. Like, have the dudes that played the vampire and werewolf love interests from those lovely glitter-vampire movies in an episode together.

That would be fun (and they're apparently doing a theme episode in the next batch: Terence Howard vs. Taraji P. Henson). You know what else would kill? Jennifer Lawrence vs. Kristen Stewart.

Anyway, I did a thing. I'm happy to leave it and just run it with a couple of friends in IRC when I'm/we're bored, but if you guys are interested, I'd be willing to knock out a few Google Forms and settle this. (You can also bitch at me about the seeding, but just for the record: winners got priority. Which is why Hoda Kotb is seeded 10th when she probably deserves 20th.)

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

WarLocke posted:

Please don't tease me about Emma Stone being on this show :swoon:

Seriously, cursory Google searches have bought me nothing. Does anyone have an article or tweet confirming this?

And if she is on the show, I hope they paired her up with somebody who can match her commitment because drat.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
July 9: Alison Brie vs. Will Arnett (:aaa:)
July 16: Justin Bieber vs. Deion Sanders
July 23: Andy Cohen vs. Willie Geist
July 30: Victoria Justice vs. Gregg Sulkin
August 6: Abbi Jacobson vs. Ilana Glazer (:aaaaa:)
August 13: Iggy Azalea vs. Nick Young (:jerkbag:)
August 20: 2-Part Season Finale
Terrence Howard vs. Taraji P. Henson (Part 1) (10pm)
Terrence Howard vs. Taraji P. Henson (Part 2) (10:30pm)

Edited to include source: http://www.tvtango.com/series/lip_sync_battle

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Does the guy ever win when its guy vs girl? Seems p hosed up they all just win on sex, wtf???

Stephen Merchant won over Malin Ackerman.

And in this case, Brie deserved that win. She just ran ripshit riot over Arnett.

• Locked thread