Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

Why do you need to trick them?

Wait does that poo poo work legally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Herr Tog posted:

Wait does that poo poo work legally?

Yes. Have you ever played magic cards before?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

Yes. Have you ever played magic cards before?

I'm new to fetch lands. What can I say? I thought the omission of 'island or plains basica land card' was a typo.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Ramos posted:

Go for the Helixes, maybe we can just be Boros Humans.

We can do three color easily. We just need to choose one of the colors to be the center of the mana base. I feel like this should be a blue deck at its core.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

EXAKT Science posted:

We can do three color easily. We just need to choose one of the colors to be the center of the mana base. I feel like this should be a blue deck at its core.

I don't know man, there's a lot of efficient white creatures that we can cover with red burn and blue counterspells.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Ramos posted:

I don't know man, there's a lot of efficient white creatures that we can cover with red burn and blue counterspells.

If someone gives him 4 lightning helixes, we can make him buy scalding tarns too.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kizudarake posted:

If someone gives him 4 lightning helixes, we can make him buy scalding tarns too.

Whoa whoa, You can still vote OUT cards tomorrow. It should be clear I do not intent to use this to get free cards from goons nor do I encourage it.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Whoa whoa, You can still vote OUT cards tomorrow. It should be clear I do not intent to use this to get free cards from goons nor do I encourage it.

poo poo, I know that, buddy, I just want to make you buy scalding tarns.

(I'm trying to have fun, ok.)

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kizudarake posted:

poo poo, I know that, buddy, I just want to make you buy scalding tarns.

(I'm trying to have fun, ok.)

oh I need to just make a rule about that.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

oh I need to just make a rule about that.

You don't need any more rules, I'm kidding.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

We always want more rules. :colbert:

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kizudarake posted:

You don't need any more rules, I'm kidding.

Having to buy 200 dollars of cards suddenly doesn't sit well with me. Gives you goon too much influence over my wallet.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
However, I was serious about my suggestion that if we can sell you the cards at a decent price(tcgplayer low or so), that you should buy from us instead of other places. I personally would be happier if you played using goon-bought cards.

Also, maybe you could get a really cheap blank playmat you pay the postage on to send to the first goon and each goon pays for the next trip(or a picture file editable in paint that you could email around and then print and laminate at Office Depot) that we could all contribute to, subject to censoring for offensiveness(to head off dickbutt or goatse)

Herr Tog posted:

Having to buy 200 dollars of cards suddenly doesn't sit well with me. Gives you goon too much influence over my wallet.

dude, seriously, if someone tries to have you buy ridiculous priced cards, seriously, count me in, after you, on the second nay vote. No one really wants to make you drop 200 bucks on Goyfs, and if you do want to get the expensive cards, we can be patient and wait for you to save up for them.

The worst thing I want to do is make you go to a modern tourney with 27 swamps, 27 islands, 4 treasure hunt and 2 zombie infestation, which would run maybe 4 bucks and would almost count because islands(except for the rule about it having a preselected non-land card)

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Apr 8, 2015

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

We always want more rules. :colbert:

You and I are gonna get along just fiiine.

kizudarake posted:

However, I was serious about my suggestion that if we can sell you the cards at a decent price(tcgplayer low or so), that you should buy from us instead of other places. I personally would be happier if you played using goon-bought cards.

Oh I intend to just to hopefully not get robbed.

kizudarake posted:

Also, maybe you could get a really cheap blank playmat you pay the postage on to send to the first goon and each goon pays for the next trip(or a picture file editable in paint that you could email around and then print and laminate at Office Depot) that we could all contribute to, subject to censoring for offensiveness(to head off dickbutt or goatse)

This is a maybe since these projects are 50/50

kizudarake posted:

dude, seriously, if someone tries to have you buy ridiculous priced cards, seriously, count me in, after you, on the second nay vote. No one really wants to make you drop 200 bucks on Goyfs, and if you do want to get the expensive cards, we can be patient and wait for you to save up for them.

Then don't vote for scalding Tarns lol a quick look puts it at like 40+ a pop.

kizudarake posted:

The worst thing I want to do is make you go to a modern tourney with 27 swamps, 27 islands, 4 treasure hunt and 2 zombie infestation, which would run maybe 4 bucks and would almost count because islands(except for the rule about it having a preselected non-land card)

And see this is where the challenge part of this comes in.

It is basically the 8th so the 4 Lightning Helix Wins.

AS SUCH: No more outside cards are permitted until one is voted out. Refer to the deck box or if it is a poo poo cheap c/u

I am pretty sure 4 Mana leaks make it in as well. I will double check tomorrow night.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Dump Frost Lynx, Fugitive Wizard, Into the Void, Mahamoti Djinn, Nimbus of the Isles, Research Assistant

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Heatwizard posted:

Dump Frost Lynx, Fugitive Wizard, Into the Void, Mahamoti Djinn, Nimbus of the Isles, Research Assistant

One vote against each of those.

What are we trying to do with this deck, anyway?
If we're doing counter burn, don't we need more counters? Also, more card draw?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Four Mana leaks are added

Heatwizard posted:

All of the Frost Lynx and Nimbus' right?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
ADD 4 mana confluence

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Four Mana leaks are added

All of the Frost Lynx and Nimbus' right?

Yes.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sigma-X posted:

ADD 4 mana confluence

What do you suggest we kill out of the following 20 cards?

4 sacred foundry
4 hallowed fountain
4 flooded strand
4 lightning helix
4 monastery swiftspear

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thank you~

Rule change incoming

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Herr Tog posted:

Thank you~

Rule change incoming

Change has been made

Sigma-X posted:

ADD 4 mana confluence

Please read the rules. Vote not tallied.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Change has been made

What was changed?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kizudarake posted:

What was changed?

"20+ usd cards may be added only one at a time except land cards. Same voting and removing rules apply. Cards worth 40+ USD are added one at a time and must come with at least a sentence stating why you want the card added. "

I felt the neeeeed

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Heatwizard posted:

Put me down for four Champion of the Parish and two Mirran Crusaders. Humans aggro won't propel you to X-0 superstardom or anything, but it'd function and some relevant parts exist in this collection already.

Second, about the Crusaders.

EXAKT Science fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 9, 2015

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Add 3 Icatian Javelineers

E:
Add 4 Izzet Charm
Add 3 Negate

EXAKT Science fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 9, 2015

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EXAKT Science posted:

Add 3 Icatian Javelineers

E:
Add 4 Izzet Charm
Add 3 Negate

Tallied along with crusaders. The four Champion of the Parish have been added.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Herr Tog posted:

Tallied along with crusaders. The four Champion of the Parish have been added.

What counterspells do you have? Can you dump a list of it in the thread?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

kizudarake posted:

What counterspells do you have? Can you dump a list of it in the thread?

I might be able to get on that tomorrow.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I won't be able today but I do have some odds and ends and I have been meaning ti buy more Dissipates and Synchopates.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Why are you buying Syncopates? What has convinced you that it's a good card to buy?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

Why are you buying Syncopates? What has convinced you that it's a good card to buy?

A sassy lady, X cost and removed from the game

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That and Syncopate is great. Flexible, yet still allows for that sweet, sweet taste of getting your opponent for X = 1.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

Why why is Syncopate bad?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Herr Tog posted:

Why why is Syncopate bad?

There are just so many better choices depending on what you're trying to do. It wasn't a bad card in Standard, but now that you're only able to play it in Modern it's pretty slow and weak compared with the other counters you have access to.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

There are just so many better choices depending on what you're trying to do. It wasn't a bad card in Standard, but now that you're only able to play it in Modern it's pretty slow and weak compared with the other counters you have access to.

examples please since I'm new to this modern poo poo

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Mana Leak might as well be Counterspell for 1U in most situations, though it falls off a little late-game or against big-mana decks. Remand is a crazy good tempo card. Deprive isn't something you really want to cast on turn 2, but once you get to turn 3 or 4 where you're likely to be missing land drops anyway it becomes amazing. Both Spell Pierce and Spell Snare are a little more matchup-specific, but they counter a lot of relevant spells for only 1 mana.

Syncopate for 1U is not exciting at all, and spending 5 mana on a counterspell (which is the first point that it's better than mana leak) is not a thing that's going to be relevant in Modern.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
And what about the part that removes the counter from the game?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Herr Tog posted:

And what about the part that removes the counter from the game?

What makes you think that's an upside worth playing an otherwise-worse card for? I notice that you're also picking up Dissipate instead of, for example, Dissolve, which raises a similar question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jabor posted:

What makes you think that's an upside worth playing an otherwise-worse card for? I notice that you're also picking up Dissipate instead of, for example, Dissolve, which raises a similar question.

When I was playing standard a lot of poo poo would come back from the grave so it was satisfying to remove it from the game and ruin someones game plan. I dropped MTG when greek gods were mentioned and I really didn't like the Baros power thing. So I didn't know about Dissolve.

• Locked thread