Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Flashback's not a huge thing in Modern, no. Splinter Twin decks will run four Snapcaster Mages because it's a fine card but stuff like the Unburial Rites decks aren't a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
Snapcaster would be really good for us, but they're expensive :(

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Heatwizard posted:

Flashback's not a huge thing in Modern, no. Splinter Twin decks will run four Snapcaster Mages because it's a fine card but stuff like the Unburial Rites decks aren't a threat.

Ah okay, thank you.

EXAKT Science posted:

Snapcaster would be really good for us, but they're expensive :(

Yea if I had to get those and the lands right now I am not sure when I would finish this deck and thus play it for goons entertainment.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
We can definitely screw with the landbase a bit to make it at least slightly less expensive.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

EXAKT Science posted:

We can definitely screw with the landbase a bit to make it at least slightly less expensive.

This experiment so far has given me the itch to buy a box of RTR or Gatecrash or Khans and give you goons something more substantial to work with. But while the gambling would be fun I feel like the Goonmind would disapprove.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

This experiment so far has given me the itch to buy a box of RTR or Gatecrash or Khans and give you goons something more substantial to work with. But while the gambling would be fun I feel like the Goonmind would disapprove.

I honestly wouldn't ever recommend worrying about the Goonmind, they disapprove of absolutely everything. That said, we should probably discuss where we're taking this. Seems like we've got UR tempo, WR aggro, or WUR/WU control sitting as possibilities.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
And the shocks don't necessarily have to be four-ofs, for example. Plus you have some lands in your collection that wouldn't be terrible in here.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Ramos posted:

I honestly wouldn't ever recommend worrying about the Goonmind, they disapprove of absolutely everything. That said, we should probably discuss where we're taking this. Seems like we've got UR tempo, WR aggro, or WUR/WU control sitting as possibilities.

WUR Counter-burn was the direction I was thinking.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Thank you. I am thinking if I do this again I will put it to a vote what box I should buy to beef up my collection.

EXAKT Science posted:

And the shocks don't necessarily have to be four-ofs, for example. Plus you have some lands in your collection that wouldn't be terrible in here.

Thank you and thank you, glad someone realized this.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, if we're doing that, Tog has:

4 Goblin Electromancers
4 Izzet Charms
2 Guttersnipes
4 Delvers
3 Dispels
1 Judge's Familiar
3 Gitaxian Probes (eh, maybe a one of?)
2 Essene Scatter
6 Mana Leaks
5 Negates
4 Dissipates

So there's more than enough countering and burning. I think the deck might do well if we focus on dropping some efficient lower end creatures and then just waiting it out.

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale
As far as lands that interest me, I see:

2 each of Clifftop Retreat, Glacial Fortress, Sulfur Falls
1 Moorland Haunt

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

You could always jam four Lord of Atlantis, four Pearl Trident, four Merrow Reejery, four Silvergill Adept, four Coralhelm Commander and go for the fish plan. There's nothing to support it in the collection, but you'd get to punish people for the crime of playing islands, you wouldn't need any nonbasics (you'd pine for Cavern of Souls though), and you'd get to run some random tempo spells to satisfy this goofy goon boner for Izzet Charm. I still think uW Aggro is the most complete deck to build here, though.

vv e: Master.

Heatwizard fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 12, 2015

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Masters of the pearl trident or merfolk of the pearl trident?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Understandably interest in this thread has petered out. I will present an contingency plan tomorrow.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Contingency

I will ask a mod to put up a poll for until the end of the month where Goons vote for a box I should buy to shore up my collection for a renewed attempt at this experiment.

The box should be bought before the end of July as I will be out and about for June. Then this thread will be relaunched when I have added everything into my deckbox.

I am taking suggestion at this time for rule changes.

Thank you all for your participation.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

The cheap equivalent of this is to find somewhere nearby where drafts happen, then show up at the end and help yourself to any chaff commons/uncommons left lying around. DTK hasn't left a mark on modern yet as far as I know, but for zero dollars plus gas you can't go all that wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Heatwizard posted:

The cheap equivalent of this is to find somewhere nearby where drafts happen, then show up at the end and help yourself to any chaff commons/uncommons left lying around. DTK hasn't left a mark on modern yet as far as I know, but for zero dollars plus gas you can't go all that wrong.

What I am hearing is that I should go to a draft and then collect the trash at the end. I have mixed feelings about this.

• Locked thread