Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I sexualize many robots but in this case it was not intentional. I'll fix that if i refine it to a finished piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

So these are all from the past week.

The last pic is the only one not referenced from a tropical photo. I'm growing increasingly weary with how tumblr artists are expected to signalboost.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Scribblehatch I love your style. And the Tumblr art community isn't that great, I'm a bit frustrated there as well.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Hey thanks man.

And yeah. What I find odd is that there just plain isn't a good go-to art site right now. We're all using Tumblr because Deviantart is too bloated and busted to use. It's the modern-Simpsons version of itself at this point. But Tumblr isn't an art site at all. There is no Rocky story happening there.

Scribblehatch fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 3, 2015

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I feel the same. I put up a personal site, but that's less for networking and more to direct people I'm already dealing with and art show crap. I rejoined Deviantart since it was awesome like 15 years ago when I was one of 3000 people there, now it just sucks and really how many times do we need to see nude Sonic? I've found fringe sites but they have few people and poor interfaces. Etsy would be nice to do prints for but it's so full of reseller crap that it's awful.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I only bother with tumblr because I managed to make friends from art streams that had tumblrs. it was kind of a ripple effect from there honestly.
It's really not that great, but you can get alot of non-artists to see your work through it, unlike Deviantart due to it's reputation for being awful.
I guess there's always Conceptart.org, but that place is pretty daunting and scary.

Hasty Apology
Sep 1, 2009
"Nuclear Breakfast" or: me working out a cartoon-modern fixation. Maybe just a Fallout fixation.

Scribblehatch posted:

The last pic is the only one not referenced from a tropical photo. I'm growing increasingly weary with how tumblr artists are expected to signalboost.

I only recently started playing with water/surf texture, and I like what you've got going on! Makes me want to... dive back in :downs:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
artstation seems really nice

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Kanine posted:

artstation seems really nice

I was just coming back to say I joined like an hour ago. Looks good but gosh I'm intimidated.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Scribblehatch posted:

Yeah, I thought you were already good last year, but this is significantly better still. That hiatus has helped a lot in spite of me initially complaining about it :v:

Milkshake Stranger
Feb 8, 2010

Drawcrowd seems ok and slightly less intimidating than Artstation

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

So...

Splatterai? Ronink? Help me out here.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Squijimbo. I like the boots and pads.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Deviantart is the biggest art site out there by a huge margin, so it's worth it if you can stomach it, plus it lets you organize your favorites into folders which makes faving things actually useful (the trick is to join a million clubs and not rely on getting noticed on the front page at all, in fact it's better to pretend the front page doesn't exist in general :barf: ). Tumblr is great in my experience since it offers way more customizability without learning how to code or hiring a webmaster or whatever, and the reblogging and messaging system makes networking easy too. It's hard to get noticed there at first though, but things snowball pretty quickly (especially after you get a hang of the tagging system\if you get reblogged by one of the mega popular art tumblrs). Twitter is more of a mixed bag but can work good if you participate in art hashtags (but I think twitter is more for catharsis\howling into the void really). I used to be into conceptart.org but I'm completely done with that site's BS regarding the whole "does this site still exist or not" waffling, plus the userbase seems to think boobygirls are the answer to all art prompts, also they tend to give stock critiques that don't really mean much a lot of the time (work on the anatomy? Read some Loomis-sempai? Gee, thanks.)

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 4, 2015

noggut
Jan 15, 2008
I've been thinking some about what kind of role conceptart.org used to fill, and how now no other art site has stepped up to take over that kind of niche. I'm thinking about the whole "I'm in it for the long run and want to get really good, it's all about putting in the hours, please crit my sketchbook" kind of thing, with a sprinkle of professionals to drop good advice and paintovers. The closest thing I can think of are a few smaller forums which try to do some of the same sketchbook things, but I haven't seen any page have too much success with it. Is it just because that kind of page isn't as interesting anymore, or that ca.org now sucks and no one has succeeded in taking over?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I don't know if CA sucks now or anything, but it gained a reputation for being absolutely terrifying for beginners and intermediate artists. most of the people there are professionals who've already got their careers going and anyone who's on their way into that career path.
I don't think it's necessarily as scary as it comes across, but I've always been terrified to make an account there due to the horror stories involved.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Honestly having done this forever I'm still really nervous about joining CA. It's stupid but I feel as if my style doesn't fit in well there anyway and my cartoony stuff would be looked down on among all the sweet video game stuff. But I like my style :ohdear:

I joined DrawCrowd, which runs like molasses on my tablet...when I replace my PC power supply tomorrow I'll poke around more.

Strotski
Dec 29, 2013

CA isn't bad nor terrifying, posted there since day 1 of me starting drawing.
Prepare to be ignored before you're noticed, post in someone else's sketchbook to get noticed faster, be open minded and ready for criticism.
Good thing about CA is that they never tear you apart just for fun of it, it's always with criticism or they just ignore you. It is intimidating posting your stuff, knowing you're really not on the level with 2/3 of those who post in sketchbook subforum and who still calls themselves amateurs. But then again you'd get that on any forum worth being on.

At least all of the above used to be the case 2 years ago, nowadays I can't really say.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
CA the community is great. CA the site, however, is unfortunately a usability nightmare. It constantly gets weirded up, taken down, re-designed and broken. It's tragic how completely hosed it's become, because there really is a ton of valuable advice there.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Honestly everyone's just scared of becoming the next Snapesnogger or Nebru or whatever other crazy stories the site has.

I mean those were pretty extraordinary cases, one with a complete fuckwad and the other that kinda happened by accident, but even still.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
polycount has a nice 2d art section where you can get good feedback

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I have no idea what I'm doing send help.
(my design sheets always look stupid as hell but it kinda comes together when I can pose the things)

E: Also, polycount's 2D section is just as dead as the 3D section. Sure, you can post in there, but you won't ever get commentary unless you're an established member. (or you make overly detailed ornate scifi meshes or AK-47s)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 5, 2015

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Colon Semicolon posted:

I don't know if CA sucks now or anything, but it gained a reputation for being absolutely terrifying for beginners and intermediate artists. most of the people there are professionals

Most of the advice given is worded how it would be delivered by an art director on a real job - if not nicer. It's just people being pretty blunt and saying that this whole area they spent a ton of time on just isn't working and it's best done over. Being able to throw work away to make the final image better is a good habit almost nobody picks up before they're forced to.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Colon Semicolon posted:

I have no idea what I'm doing send help.
(my design sheets always look stupid as hell but it kinda comes together when I can pose the things)

E: Also, polycount's 2D section is just as dead as the 3D section. Sure, you can post in there, but you won't ever get commentary unless you're an established member. (or you make overly detailed ornate scifi meshes or AK-47s)

are you sure you're talking about polycount? ive encountered the opposite of that

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

No Beer Left posted:

Drawcrowd seems ok and slightly less intimidating than Artstation

From first glance, it just looks like it is 100% dedicated to anime titties.

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

This much sounds completely agreeable. Good, hospitable folk, I imagine.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

I like the setup for DrawCrowd a lot, but no matter what I do I can't get it to actually save and display my profile info. Driving me nuts.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

cubicle gangster posted:

Most of the advice given is worded how it would be delivered by an art director on a real job - if not nicer. It's just people being pretty blunt and saying that this whole area they spent a ton of time on just isn't working and it's best done over. Being able to throw work away to make the final image better is a good habit almost nobody picks up before they're forced to.

There's still some good advice and some kind people on there doing paint overs and thoughtful critiques. It's not all everything sucks, go read loomis and draw shapes for the next six months, rinse and repeat (that's only like a third of them and sometimes that advice is necessary anyways). That said, I think between the website usability stuff, and the owner's uh.. tendencies towards unscrupulous practices like taking advantage of its art instructors and not fairly paying people, it's got some problems.

That said, there aren't many great alternatives atm. I'm hoping one pops up somewhere. I still have no clue what the gently caress ever happened to cghub

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Honestly tumblr can be really rad sometimes. I literally just finish up refining and coloring this:

And straight up a south korean artist I like asks if they can draw her. Holy hell this is amazing, nobody's ever done something this cool for me.
Like, honestly, other places can be alot better for actual critique, but Tumblr is AMAZING for the fact you can connect with artists you would normally NEVER get to meet and talk to.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

JuniperCake posted:

That said, I think between the website usability stuff, and the owner's uh.. tendencies towards unscrupulous practices like taking advantage of its art instructors and not fairly paying people, it's got some problems.

Can you go into detail about this? I'm curious to hear some examples

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Colon Semicolon posted:

And straight up a south korean artist I like asks if they can draw her.

Is this because most of their drawings are oversized tits and dicks spraying cum

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

cubicle gangster posted:

Is this because most of their drawings are oversized tits and dicks spraying cum

I was thinking more that they drew cool stuff for my other friends but yeah I guess that's also A Thing.
Also god drat how do they work so fast traditionally? they churn finished pieces in like 2 hours. How the gently caress.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 7, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Parrotine posted:

Can you go into detail about this? I'm curious to hear some examples

Last major incident I know of was in 2013. Not gonna name names but if you really want them you can look online for them. There is still a fair amount of records on the web though some of the original posts were deleted.

TheArtDepartment(TAD) which is an art school that used to be associated with CA had CA's current owner as the president of their school board and he oversaw their finances. They had an agreement to pay royalties to the artists who work for them and provide the video tutorials that they use. At some point this dude became extremely derelict in his payments. Started with late checks, then missed checks, silence, etc. The artist contacts the department to try to fix the situation, and according to him the owner of CA essentially responds in a very condescending matter and nothing gets resolved, even with threats of lawsuits.

After about two years of this, the artist gets fed up and posts a big rant on DA where everyone can see it and in a short amount of time everything explodes. There's a mass exodus of pro artists and staff from CA, and TAD and CA have a pretty violent break up. TAD claimed they were unaware this was going on and that everything was because of CA's owner screwing up finances. To their credit TAD did pay the artist in question the royalties he was owed after everything came to light. I'm not sure if they compensated the other artists as well though.

The people behind CA and TAD then get into an extended legal battle, since the guy who owns CA also own's TAD's domain and supposedly hijacked the site, making the e-mails and links redirect stuff to his ventures instead of the TAD people for revenge or to try to steal their business or whatever. They also claim he stole information from their servers, passwords, client info, etc. I don't know what's true or not in respect to that but it's clear that things are pretty ugly now between both parties and it's a huge mess at this point.

TAD has since closed its doors cause it didn't have the funds to deal with any of this apparently, but there is still a copy of the legal petition out there if you really want details. There are all sorts of other accusations made about CA's owner as well, but some of them aren't as well documented as the royalty thing so it's hard to say. What's for sure though is he used up a lot good will and that has deeply hurt CA (in addition to server problems, being hacked like once a week, etc).

There is still a community over there and some really good artists but the best years of CA are definitely behind it. It's pretty unfortunate really.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 8, 2015

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That is actually really depressing to read :(

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

Is there a gene ubiquitous to the human population that feels repulsed every time an artist or teacher is paid a decent wage?

Why does this poo poo happen so often?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Colon Semicolon posted:

Honestly tumblr can be really rad sometimes. I literally just finish up refining and coloring this:

And straight up a south korean artist I like asks if they can draw her. Holy hell this is amazing, nobody's ever done something this cool for me.
Like, honestly, other places can be alot better for actual critique, but Tumblr is AMAZING for the fact you can connect with artists you would normally NEVER get to meet and talk to.
Should have left the robo-pussy mound. Looks like Korean dude would have been into it.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Scribblehatch posted:

Is there a gene ubiquitous to the human population that feels repulsed every time an artist or teacher is paid a decent wage?

Why does this poo poo happen so often?

People in general don't think you're doing work. even other artists don't think you're doing work. when that isn't the case, they're jealous in some way of the fact you could possibly be making more than them for what they consider LESS work.
People just don't respect anything that they feel you should have 'gotten over when you were a child' and will always look at creative fields like they're totally worthless. God forbid you ever want to make/design toys, you will never hear the end of it.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Should have left the robo-pussy mound. Looks like Korean dude would have been into it.

stop slut-shaming robots, dork.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Colon Semicolon posted:

even other artists don't think you're doing work. when that isn't the case, they're jealous in some way of the fact you could possibly be making more than them for what they consider LESS work.

ha. most working artists look down at full time teachers for a very different reason, more money it is most certainly not.
None of that has anything to do with what happened with CA or TAD though.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I really, really wish Teachers got paid more. but good luck trying to get the general populace to believe it's a good idea.

I guess it's kinda irrelevant to the topic at hand though.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scribblehatch
Jun 15, 2013

The general populace does think it's a good idea. But we're not living in an actual democracy right now.

Anyhoo.

War Sylph.