Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've recently started doing character portrait commissions of peoples' characters from a 25-year-old MMO which has been really fun considering it's my first time making a serious attempt at drawing actual people and not stick figures. But mostly I just want to give a shoutout to all the things that are possible when drawing digitally that I could never hope to accomplish without serious technique and skills in traditional art. This is the one I'm working on now:

based on this in-game portrait:

And in particular I love the technique I stumbled across for the fishing line. All I did was make a thick white line, shade it with grey, set the layer blending to Divide and then use the Liquify->Pinch tool to make it thin and fine. Then I just dabbed a few cliche lens flares on it for the sparkles. It was like 3 minutes of work for something that, if I attempted to do the same thing with traditional art, would probably take me hours of trying to get a watered down white paint or smeared white gel pen or something to look even a fraction as good, and I would ruin the piece in the process. Now it looks like an actual fishing line where it's mostly invisible except for the spots that catch the light and glint a little.
(Okay technically I did all of that twice because there are separate layers for behind the fishing pole and in front)

Layer blending modes and procreate's Liquify tool are the secret ingredients that make up like 80% of my art skill now but :kiddo: I love experimenting with that stuff and finding a way to create whatever material/texture I'm aiming for.

Next step is going to be uhh, 'shaving off' parts of the peg leg to make it look hand-carved, which should be fun to find a way to do with just a lighter wood colored blended layer and a paint roller brush or something like that.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU