Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I tried experimenting with drawing cartoons in a semi-realistic sorta style.

I've got an notebook that is almost full of Pearl noses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

Beelzebub posted:

Here's a dump of some of my digital stuff.

"this is all really bad please stop" - me, on opposite day 2009.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

No Beer Left posted:

Drawcrowd seems ok and slightly less intimidating than Artstation

From first glance, it just looks like it is 100% dedicated to anime titties.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

You know, I'm sorta disappointed with reality. I feel like I was tricked, when I went to Uni, I met people like me for the first time. Friends who pushed, inspired, encouraged and competed with each other, people who just wanted to make cool poo poo. I'm back home in the most polluted town in England, and people don't think I deserve minimum wage for designing a logo.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

i am harry posted:

Yeah it's a real shame they don't teach you much about how to go about practically making money as an artist while they're taking all that money from you and encouraging you to discuss what inspires you.

Go to Waterstones and find yourself a copy of this book and stay indoors reading it front to back. http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-be-Illustrator-Darrel-Rees/dp/1856695301

I'm not bothered about making money, we were actually taught plenty at my uni. I'm just more disappointed at my home friends and family's opinion and outlook on art as a valuable thing.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

People who make art with the express intent of it being 'sexy' are creepy and i dont/wont respect it. Nudity is fine, admiring form is too, but tits for tits sake is kind of sad.

E: I should add, there's a very big difference between a character that has sex appeal and what I'm talking about.

You know you just pissed on like a million billion years of art history, right? Are you the type of person who hammers the dicks off statues?

Exclamation Marx posted:

i want to f;uck the robot

this is really good with the limited colours and lines and such. Really like the lips and nose especially.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 21, 2015

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

President Kucinich posted:

Good poo poo, but take a closer look at batman's leg on the right side. It's weird. Too thin around the upper thigh. Still, it is bitchin.

I think that's part of the style he was mimmicking from The Batman or whatever cartoon it was.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

The other week I watched a lot of Community and sat on my settee drawing on my new Note 4. Using Clover Paint is really fun and satisfying.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Delta Echo posted:

The elbow on that one looks weird.

I didn't notice until you said, also just noticed weird shoulder/upper arm bend. I have a bit of a common problem with the perspective of arms specifically for some reason.

Colon Semicolon posted:

@Megaspel
I think you'd actually do well to look at Metal Slug concept art. you seem like you really enjoy deliberately ugly looking character art. maybe it'd offer inspiration on how to better handle it? You're almost there, I think!

Some pretty cool stuff there. Reminds me a bit of Paul Robertson, and I think the animation is pretty similar too, if I can remember right.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 13, 2015

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Dog drawing time lapse video. Fun fact Youtube kills your resolution if you upload a portrait video.

http://youtu.be/GzlhKTeUY7o

You might want to look into life drawing classes.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

What helped me with askew features like that is drawing live chickens. They move around like hell, so trying to draw them is a nightmare, but it trains you to observe really quickly and get a better picture in your head. Don't spend too long on any image if you're doing this, it's better just to keep making more and more once you got the basic form down. I'm still not great with it, especially arms and pupils, I probably need to practice a bit more myself.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Great thing about life drawing though, life is literally everywhere. On the bus, train, trees. Just go sit outside somewhere and bam, there's some life to draw, whether it's a pigeon or someone who's driving a mobility scooter but obviously doesn't need to.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Fyadophobic posted:

Can I have some posture/ergonomics advice for pen and tablet use? I just started working full-time (using my tablet) in addition to using it at home and the extra hours of use are making me realize that my posture is really, really crap. It's hurting me and probably limiting the level of my work in terms of line quality, etc. I'm pretty sure I've been doing it wrong all this time but I never thought to actually ask until it started to hurt. How do you guys do it?

Get a tablet arm. If you have a 13HD you have to build your own mount, it's ridiculous, but still, get a tablet arm. They're actually called monitor arms believe it or not.

Ergotron are the best if you can afford them, but even if you can't, make sure you get one with a spring loaded arm.

I changed all my monitors to arms over from stands, and it feels incredible compared to hunching in the restrictive positions that still allowed me to see what I was doing. The human body isn't meant to be static, you need to move about and poo poo, which is why all ergonomic chairs worth a drat have wheels and why monitor arms are so great.

Get a monitor arm. Also I have a smudge guard which is really expensive for what it is but is pretty great for letting you do smoother strokes over your screen.

EDIT: If you don't have a tablet-monitor, get a monitor arm anyway, it'll let you sit in more poses. You can probably get mini-drawing tables to put your tablet on or something. The best solution ultimately depends on your set-up.

Chairs are important too. Invest in a good one if you can afford it, or at least see what chairs you have in your house. I have a really lovely full back chair that I have to keep pulling the back up because it's poo poo, but I also have a deck chair and a garden chair that I use to relax in later on, or sometimes when I'm sculpting or something.

The monitor arms lets me sit in these chairs while having the monitor directly eye level, I really don't know how people work without monitor arms any more.

curse of flubber fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 21, 2015

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Oh yeah, I'm in a shoddily converted attic, and my main monitor is clamped to the side table things which are slowly getting prised off by the weird of the monitor. Eventually the monitor will fall straight on me, but I'm hoping I'll be able to move out before then.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

Colon Semicolon posted:

Back when I made these I was really proud of them. Now, I'm not sure it's all that good. They're probably quite terrible!

I like this style, reminds me of that one 3D megaman game. I like the shading, but is that all baked in? I'd be interested seeing it motion.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

gmc9987 posted:

I also recently purchased one (13HD), and the two biggest things I noticed with it are 1.) drawing directly on the screen with a precise 1:1 ratio between movements and output really makes things easier, and 2.) you can do linework in photoshop that doesn't look like garbage.

I have a 13HD, and I didn't notice too much of a difference to my old intuos. I definitely prefer it but it's not actually made well for the price you pay.

I heavily recommend anyone looking to invest some money into a monitor-tablet to reading Frenden's Reviews, 'cause there are actually a lot of well designed, non-wacom tablets out there now.

The biggest annoyance is probably the fact that Wacom has patented the poo poo out of everything it can, so all non-Wacom devices have battery-powered pens, which can still last long enough that it's not really a major concern.

Don't think Wacom is your only option, they're overpriced to gently caress and back, seriously. They put a propriety cable on the Cintiq 13HD that only they can replace and charge you just under £100 for a loving HDMI, USB and power lead soldered together; it fucks up pretty much immediately and mine is being held together with electrician's tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007

I remember getting annoyed at the batteries in my old non-wacom tablets, just because rather than stop working suddenly, they stopped gradually, so there was always this period of unnoticed annoyance until it got bad enough where it was obvious. Those were really poo poo no-name tablets though, one was by Trust and the other was called XP-Pen or something crazy, I guess cashing in on the name-recognition of Windows XP?

Anyway, does this look 3D to anyone else?

I made this fuckin' ages ago, but only just found it again. I think it has some weird poo poo with a depth map but I was also experimenting with another thing to do with nearest neighbour scaling that was definitely done to this image:

They're both supposed to be running much faster, but all browsers cap the framerate of gifs, so the effect might be more pronounced if you download the gifs and play them in your image browser. Not much mind you, probably not worth the effort.