Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
CA the community is great. CA the site, however, is unfortunately a usability nightmare. It constantly gets weirded up, taken down, re-designed and broken. It's tragic how completely hosed it's become, because there really is a ton of valuable advice there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
This is great; you are great.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Delta Echo posted:

I vote yes and I'm incredibly curious to see it now.

Show us your soul.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Frown Town posted:

Part of a Chinese animal Zodiac set I put together, made prints of, and sold at Denver Comic Con this summer
loving baller.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
That's an amazing mecha-walrus! But I think the other characters get lost a bit within the silhouette of your two tallest figures. You might want to put a heavier outline on the foreground figures. Also I can't tell where the walrus' back leg is supposed to be.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Squiggly? How squiggly? Can you post a screenshot? Sometimes it's because of software issues, sometimes it's due to magnetic interference with the tablet, sometimes it's just lack of confidence.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
It's worth the money. It can do a ton of stuff. Just buy it.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

nickmeister posted:

I work in Photoshop. I've been trying to paint my images in grayscale, and then use layer modes to colorize them. But the colors always come out vastly different. Sometimes it seems impossible to use a dark color: it just becomes lighter. I've watched a few tutorials on this technique, but non of them seem to discuss this phenomenon or have those problems present in the sample files they provide. Does anyone use this technique and can share some light?

#1 is in Normal blending mode.
#2 is Color mode. As you can see it is totally bonkers. Don't use it.
#3 is Overlay mode. The contents of an Overlay layer can either darken or lighten the underlying stack. Anything on the Overlay layer that is darker than 50% gray will darken, lighter than 50% will lighten. As you can see in example #3, most of the colors in the color bar are 50% lightness or lighter, so most of them lighten the underlying shade.
#4 is Multiply mode. Multiply only darkens what is underneath.

For applying color to grayscale you'll probably want a combination of Normal layers at reduced opacity, Overlay layers for middle values, and Multiply layers for shadows.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

deoju posted:

This is kinda a a weird question, but this seems like the place to ask it...

I play table top RPG with some friends and while doing so I like to draw 2d maps of the world we play in. I'm looking for a pc tablet program that will let me expand the dimensions of the image in any direction easily. Something as graphically simple as ms paint is fine so long as I can continually move the borders easily. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Mischief would be good for this!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
:getin:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

InevitableCheese posted:

God this thread blows.

Couldn't you have given that chicken bigger breasts? :colbert:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

:five::five::five:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgKPNzJWNHk
This thread

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

InevitableCheese posted:

I have realized that my whole problem is my brush settings.

Moving on I typed a long message in the Awful app to only have it crash. I started in art because of Paul Robertson and my interest in game dev. I'm a competent programmer who has always wanted to be able to draw and create stuff but was always better at technical ability.

Blah blah blah I just feel like my digital is better than traditional and I end up hating traditional.

Here's some of the traditional stuff I've been doing:

Here's some of the stuff I've done digitally:

Even if you want to stay in the realm of flat, graphic designs (like modern cartoons), you will still draw better if you learn how to turn forms in space.

The Draw a Box curriculum is derived from the technique taught by Peter Han at the CG Master Academy. (http://2d.cgmasteracademy.com/peter-han-bio.html) Most of the exercises are the same. There are some good skills to be learned there but I don't think it gives you that much for character design or people/animal drawing. The type of exaggerated vanishing points of the box exercises I think are confusing in relation to the practical demands of most illustration/comics/animation techniques.

Your digital stuff is OK but it is limited by the underlying draftsmanship. Making effective "flat" design should start with conceiving of the form in 3D, and abstracting it after the fact. Otherwise you can't turn the character or pose it without the features drifting all over the place or looking like stickers.

I think you will get more out of doing the John K $100,000 animation course. That is more relevant to what you like doing, and the skills you learn from drawing character turnarounds will transfer to LOTS of other applications. Box forms are useful, to be sure, but unless you're drawing spaceships flying into a hangar, you almost never see the extreme perspective that most tutorials start you on.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

TeaMaestro posted:

I was looking up human skulls and other head tutorials to improve my art, when I've stumbled across this interesting piece:

I'm not sure if this is real or not
FRANCE. THEY COME FROM FRANCE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

:five: