Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

spent 2 hours on this yesterday. planning to refine and have it ready for the juried art show coming up in late May-early June

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

more progress. starting to look more defined and understandable now.
creepier too, I hope.

EDIT: now with more hints of it being a void space.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 18, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Sketch Sketch, forever sketch.
putting down ideas for a comic, still lots more design work to do.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I don't care for double posting but this kinda turned out pretty nice, yeah?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I sexualize many robots but in this case it was not intentional. I'll fix that if i refine it to a finished piece.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I only bother with tumblr because I managed to make friends from art streams that had tumblrs. it was kind of a ripple effect from there honestly.
It's really not that great, but you can get alot of non-artists to see your work through it, unlike Deviantart due to it's reputation for being awful.
I guess there's always Conceptart.org, but that place is pretty daunting and scary.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I don't know if CA sucks now or anything, but it gained a reputation for being absolutely terrifying for beginners and intermediate artists. most of the people there are professionals who've already got their careers going and anyone who's on their way into that career path.
I don't think it's necessarily as scary as it comes across, but I've always been terrified to make an account there due to the horror stories involved.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Honestly everyone's just scared of becoming the next Snapesnogger or Nebru or whatever other crazy stories the site has.

I mean those were pretty extraordinary cases, one with a complete fuckwad and the other that kinda happened by accident, but even still.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I have no idea what I'm doing send help.
(my design sheets always look stupid as hell but it kinda comes together when I can pose the things)

E: Also, polycount's 2D section is just as dead as the 3D section. Sure, you can post in there, but you won't ever get commentary unless you're an established member. (or you make overly detailed ornate scifi meshes or AK-47s)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 5, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Honestly tumblr can be really rad sometimes. I literally just finish up refining and coloring this:

And straight up a south korean artist I like asks if they can draw her. Holy hell this is amazing, nobody's ever done something this cool for me.
Like, honestly, other places can be alot better for actual critique, but Tumblr is AMAZING for the fact you can connect with artists you would normally NEVER get to meet and talk to.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

cubicle gangster posted:

Is this because most of their drawings are oversized tits and dicks spraying cum

I was thinking more that they drew cool stuff for my other friends but yeah I guess that's also A Thing.
Also god drat how do they work so fast traditionally? they churn finished pieces in like 2 hours. How the gently caress.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 7, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Scribblehatch posted:

Is there a gene ubiquitous to the human population that feels repulsed every time an artist or teacher is paid a decent wage?

Why does this poo poo happen so often?

People in general don't think you're doing work. even other artists don't think you're doing work. when that isn't the case, they're jealous in some way of the fact you could possibly be making more than them for what they consider LESS work.
People just don't respect anything that they feel you should have 'gotten over when you were a child' and will always look at creative fields like they're totally worthless. God forbid you ever want to make/design toys, you will never hear the end of it.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Should have left the robo-pussy mound. Looks like Korean dude would have been into it.

stop slut-shaming robots, dork.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I really, really wish Teachers got paid more. but good luck trying to get the general populace to believe it's a good idea.

I guess it's kinda irrelevant to the topic at hand though.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jun 9, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I remember a story about a some rich guy who legit believed that statues of nude women were EXACTLY how women should look, and he refused to sleep with his wife over the fact she had pubic hair. she ended up leaving him for an artist, because that guy wasn't an idiot.
I'm sure there's other old stories, but it wouldn't be hard to fathom the idea of people being jealous of more than just the fact you enjoy your job and can outpace their scribbles.

the other robot thing wasn't quite working right, so I started on the thing related to it. maybe It'll make things easier I dunno.
(also slowly changing any design elements that would prove brutal to draw over and over as I add to the perspective version)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 13, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
don't be a prude, now!

Scribblehatch posted:

Ooh I think you've got a real knack for mecha. I can imagine having a toy of this and being able to move the joints anywhere within reason. I like it!

Thank you! That's what I tend towards mostly. I wanna make toys some day, so alot of my stuff is very shamelessly toyetic.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Art's a pretty self-serving thing. Most of it is not meant for anyone but the artist's own interests. Maybe you should go learn to draw and draw the things you want instead of trying to tell others what they're supposed to do?

I wasn't planning on posting this here but y'know what, I think someone like you would enjoy it. Here's a plastic doll.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Troposphere posted:

I do draw, and it's usually not with one hand down my pants. I manage not to post blatant fetish material in the art forum, certainly a crazy concept

so why exactly do all your robots have giant titties and child bearing hips? what purpose does that serve a robot? we are all very aware that it's just because it gives you a raging hardon. do you seriously not understand why some people would be uncomfortable with seeing some dude's j/o material constantly

Am I supposed to care? I pretty openly draw poo poo most people find weird. It's on my tumblr, I don't hide it. You're the one who came in here and is expecting others to cater to your interests. (Which won't actually change anything, that mentality just makes you come across as whiney and easily upset.)
Maybe you should go act like you care about something other than your own personal interests somewhere where the people bend over backwards for you?

character design for the Niner thing. he's kinda sorta the Villian, but he's a bumbling idiot.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 19, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Wait hold on I'm upset I didn't get the memo

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Yeah but they never actually talked about the poses

Like if you're gonna have criticism and the only thing you'll talk about is the bodytypes then maybe you aren't looking for anything other than that. I mean yeah the poses aren't all that great but y'know they could've said something and offered some sort suggestions on how to fix it or redlined or y'know anything other than 'pls stop posting barbie dolls'. Yeah, we get it, varying body types is important but you could learn to be nice about that.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 19, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

cubicle gangster posted:

I think that was a nice way of saying something...

'all your female anatomy looks like barbie dolls. if you're going to draw such blatant fap material at least change up the body types once in a while. that is My Opinion.'
'pretty please stop drawing all women like they are the exact same fake plastic doll because it's objectifying, boring, and gross. tia.'

I'm not sure how these classify as nice or even really helpful.

'I noticed you tend towards the same body type alot. perhaps you should attempt to vary that a bit so you can get better used to drawing different body forms.' Maybe further explain what you mean specifically to each picture. Then if you'd be assed you could post examples of other body types to attempt.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 19, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
what truth would that be
What is this rollercoaster leading to exactly

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Okay we get that but what does that have to do with you being unable to communicate that in a way that's not rude right from the get go
Like do you just lack the ability to act in a constructive manner in social situations or...?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Welcome to the world of reddit and tumblr where you're being an insolent prick for personal reasons and not any actual social reasons.

Actual critiques aren't anything like that btw, you're just trying really hard to seem like you know more

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm kinda wondering what classifies as an actual tantrum here

Like I'm not even really annoyed by what you're saying cuz y'know whatever I wasn't gonna post the boobie robot lady here at all but I did it because I thought your reaction would be really funny and I was right about that.
I also don't exactly see what you're saying about the art world needing to be cruel. I get that it needs to be when someone is reacting in a way like their art is amazing when it clearly isn't and they need humility, that's a thing that has to happen. But you're not really expressing anything other than flagrant disregard towards anybody that doesn't appeal to your interests in subject matter. you've yet to make an actual, structured claim as to WHY something is off, wrong, or bad in any way.
loga mira did, however. And that's good!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Crap posted:

all your women look like plastic dolls is pretty specific, like what more do you want, a breakdown of each body part

that wasn't even directed at me, and I'm the one making plastic dolls

Where exactly is it that I claimed not to want criticism here or whatever
Where am I claiming to be a good artist
Where am I claiming anything that's being alluded to???

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 20, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Or it's just common sense rather than just expecting to go off of 'it looks like a barbie doll, fix it' and literally nothing else. You don't have to do all those things at once (according your lovely hyperbole) but atleast acting like a human being and not a prick certainly helps.

but here we are, bowing down to a special snowflake because they're upset at a picture of a lady with 4 boobs.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Their avatar doesn't count they didn't actually post the full image

by that logic I post my art everytime I make a post but that doesn't mean anyone knows or cares.
Also I don't get how I'm 'objectifying' when I've only seriously shown like maybe 2 or 3 boobie robots the whole time I've been posting in CC. I try to vary my artwork alot and most of the things I draw aren't meant to be raunchy.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jun 20, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
I'm done here but FYI the blatantly sexual robot drawing was meant for a ladyfriend who specifically asked me to design that character for them. It's what they wanted and I was happy to oblige. Also the character with the 'big child like eyes' doesn't have any sexuality to it and I explicitly was trying to go against that. The korean artist did what he wanted and I'm okay with that, but I have no intention of doing that sort of thing to the character myself. Why do you think I changed the image to lower the skirt so there wasn't a weird 'panty shot' on a thing that's born from a dying star? I like expressive eyes on robots, it helps characterize them and helps convey emotion in a way people can understand. They're characters, not machines.

It's dumb to assume that everything has to do with blatant objectifying.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 20, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Troposphere posted:

ahh the ol' it's not for me, it's for a friend!!! excuse. except that your entire blog is just super sexualized big titted robot ladies...

I never said that wasn't true, but you can take that as a victory if it makes you feel better at night.
For real though done with this poo poo.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I guess this counts here, yeah.

also that spooky farm painting sold last night for 130, yay!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 12, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Delta Echo posted:

Where can I find more of your robots? I like her.

This is an assignment I did for my beginning Maya class... it was supposed to be a whole Gundam (SEED: Strike model), but after meticulously working on the foot I ran out of time. I still received full credit due to the level of detail. I worked from a Gundam toy that I own, but the process looks about the same as yours. Which I also enjoy seeing the orthographic WIP of, btw.

3D modelling lends itself well to forms like the ones of your robot. There's the huge benefit of drawing and texturing something once, and then getting to play with it forever. You can have it 3D printed, even. You might not even need to texture, if you assign materials and color to the faces by geometry.

You can rig her easily, and since you don't have to deal with deforming joints, it would look great to animate her. If the poly count is low enough, you could put her into Unity and use her in a game.

Simple forms render easily like this, and the second pic is colored by material, no texture. If your model is supposed to be metallic or hard, it's pretty straightforward without needing textures.

Which one did you mean, by chance? there's quite a few of them! You can check out my tumblr or my DA for more of my stuff though!

I actually do 3D modelling and texture work on a more 'professional' level, being that I do work for a startup game company (Whenever my boss has the funding for us to do work, atleast) But usually it's mostly for fun. My current personal project is not too far off from what you're describing. (that and I'm still trying to force myself to do more organic modelling but here we are, same poo poo as always) Making things in 3D can be rather fun and challenging, but it's unbelievably time consuming, as you've said. But man oh man is it fun having a vitual toy to play with!
Cecilia in particular, I was considering making a model of for the sake of rotoscoping since her design proves incredibly brutal to draw, but Niner in particular I designed to be very quick and easy to draw and put into dynamic scenes. it all really depends on what you need/want for something.

@Megaspel
I think you'd actually do well to look at Metal Slug concept art. you seem like you really enjoy deliberately ugly looking character art. maybe it'd offer inspiration on how to better handle it? You're almost there, I think!

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 13, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Delta Echo posted:

This was fun. It's unfortunate that line work tends to get lost as you work on things.

oh, yeah. I'm very destructive with my sketches, I only keep the most basic line-skeletons underneath haha. (all that under-layer detail is stuff I intend to showcase though.)

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Doodlin' for a game thing. trying to get a set style for enemies n poo poo.

(why did I do a poopy perspective view on an enemy that will never be seen from that angle?)

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 26, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Back when I made these I was really proud of them. Now, I'm not sure it's all that good. They're probably quite terrible!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Megaspel posted:

I like this style, reminds me of that one 3D megaman game. I like the shading, but is that all baked in? I'd be interested seeing it motion.

The way it works is that the bottom of the tunnel is baked vertex colors that won't change with the mesh, so the textures along the tunnel are just panned along it's surface without actually moving it. the bars actually do just loop from their start position to the end, faking the actual movement quite well. I think the wheels on the elevator turn too, but it was almost never seen due to the camera angle.

As for the robot? that particular one never got implemented in-game due to an oversight. However, all the other ones made looked fairly similiar, and they seemed to look fine in-game. The only difference is their lighting was a bit more uniform, whereas this one has a defined light source.
I did nearly all the weapons that were used in our initial demo, but I haven't finished off all the presentation sheets.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Box

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

My innate disconnect with the human face always comes out real bad when I try to draw it.

E: less is more idk it's not as hideous now.

E2: okay NOW I'm happy with it.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 21, 2015

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
Have some of my 3D trash!

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I was in my painting class last night and since we were given free reign on what to do (only three people showed up since it was on a day outside the regular schedule.) I sketched this out for what my next acrylic piece will be. I've wanted to do something cute like this for a very long time. I promised myself I'd do it once I learned oil painting, but I'm just gonna do it in acrylic.
The teacher told me that I could probably just print it out and trace the lines with chalk to transfer the base sketch over, so we'll see how that goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Beelzebub posted:

An old one for L5R that finally made it into the card search.

This is all sorts of beautiful.

working on a (late) birthday gift for an artist friend. still gotta add the other figures in but I'm just rather happy with how this part turned out. (gently caress that foot though that's so ugly.)